PDA

View Full Version : Noobie question: two packs for hunting?

OceanMon
06-08-2017, 08:13 PM
Hi there. I'm trying to figure out hiking hunting. Say you're hiking in, making camp, and hunting in an area.

The question for me is: do you use a separate backpack to haul the meat out from the pack to haul all your gear in?? I can't imagine having it clothes and sleeping bag in the same greasy bag I pack great in.

Thanks

RiverOtter
06-08-2017, 08:27 PM
If you're not hunting out of a base camp, you'll be running 1 pack. Bone out and garbage bag does the trick, as do packs with meat shelves.

whitlers
06-08-2017, 09:16 PM
Do some research into pack options.

Some run a meat shelf, some like said above use garbage bags and internal frame packs. Most will tell you that hiking into an area with a camp pack and day pack is a waste of bulk and weight.

HarryToolips
06-08-2017, 09:28 PM
^^^^^what they said...an example of a pack combo with a meat shelf that you can cinch your meat onto is the pack that I use, the Alps Commander Pack....I'm sure there's many better combo packs out there, but for the money (around $250 I think I payed) it's comfortable, rugged, and does the job..

HarryToolips
06-08-2017, 09:33 PM
http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y364/harrytoolips/DSCN2698_zpsyjdwvxhw.jpg (http://s1030.photobucket.com/user/harrytoolips/media/DSCN2698_zpsyjdwvxhw.jpg.html)

OceanMon
06-08-2017, 10:02 PM
Wow! Thanks for the responses! Appreciate it!

Whonnock Boy
06-08-2017, 10:05 PM
Plastic bags are the ticket, but make sure they are UNSCENTED, and remove the meat from the bags as soon as possible.

Timberjack
06-09-2017, 08:11 PM
If you get a chance to hang the quarters and let them dry out even for an hour or two, or better yet overnight there will be very little blood. Game bags inside of a garbage bag for short periods of time is no problem at all. I've stuffed lots of mule deer and goats inside my pack along with everything else. For me and internal frame pack is the way to go,but others have other preferences. Dive in, give it a go, and have fun this fall!
TJ

Timberjack
06-09-2017, 08:13 PM
Oh yeah, I meant to mention that I prefer internal frame packs because for me, they compress down smaller for use as a day pack when you're wandering around in the Alpine once you've got your main camp set up...

TJ