PDA

View Full Version : What else would they eat?

IronNoggin
06-07-2017, 12:55 PM
Harbour seals selectively eat juveniles of salmon species most at riskhttp://www.theprovince.com/news/local+news/harbour+seals+selectively+juveniles+salmon+species +most+risk/13427611/story.html

Given their population explosions along the entire west coast since they were afforded blanket protection, it is downright surprising we have any salmon left in many areas!!

Shakin' the noggin once again...
Nog

boxhitch
06-07-2017, 01:34 PM
Meanwhile, down south

The House Committee on Natural Resources has passed H.R. 564, the “Endangered Salmon and Fisheries Predation Prevention Act,” which authorizes the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to issue one-year permits to Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and several tribal groups to lethally take non-endangered sea lions in order to protect endangered and threatened species of salmon.
http://www.cbbulletin.com/437691.aspx

HappyJack
06-07-2017, 03:23 PM
They must eat herring and cod too?

caddisguy
06-07-2017, 04:21 PM
Not sure what it is about seals but they look pretty tasty, especially the ones in Harrison lake. I have always wondered why there isn't a season on seals. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of them... managed properly it wouldn't interfere with their numbers anyway so no starving orcas.

Surrey Boy
06-07-2017, 05:00 PM
Not sure what it is about seals but they look pretty tasty, especially the ones in Harrison lake. I have always wondered why there isn't a season on seals. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of them... managed properly it wouldn't interfere with their numbers anyway so no starving orcas.

There's a huge market for them in Asia. We're missing out on easy money to appease hormonal college kids.

IronNoggin
06-09-2017, 01:20 PM
The Answer:

The House Committee on Natural Resources has passed H.R. 564, the “Endangered Salmon and Fisheries Predation Prevention Act,” which authorizes the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to issue one-year permits to Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and several tribal groups to lethally take non-endangered sea lions in order to protect endangered and threatened species of salmon.

http://www.cbbulletin.com/437691.aspx

Cheers,
Nog - Have Gun, Will Travel :twisted:

wideopenthrottle
06-09-2017, 02:14 PM
do ya think they might taste a bit like fish.....heheheh

caddisguy
06-09-2017, 02:33 PM

I am guessing the fat would have a little of that omega 3 tang... just tell dinner guests they are fish burgers :)

Pemby_mess
06-09-2017, 05:00 PM

I had an opportunity to try some in a northern community several years ago. I have to say, it didn't really taste "fishy" at all. Just about the same way sashimi tastes "fishy". Also have eaten Beluga at a separate time and place. The fat on both that and the seal taste quite similar.

I found both quite tasty, I'd put a seal in the freezer for sure. I guess I'd have to work on my harpoon skills:). Could you reliably harvest one with a rifle I wonder?

scotty30-06
06-09-2017, 07:04 PM
Do it like bow fishing....that would be a fight!!

Surrey Boy
06-09-2017, 07:10 PM
Harpoon is the only way. They sink right away after being shot, and are fairly intuitive with nets.

I wonder if a hunter could use the same harpoon on land? Sure make it easier to retrieve a kill.