PDA

View Full Version : Elk hunting

Dorarem
06-07-2017, 10:51 AM
Hi guys. Planing elk hunting this fall to cranbrook area. In my safe I have 2 rifles:
1) Tikka t3 stainless in 30-06
2) Beowning Bar Long Trac in 300 win mag.
What would you suggest to take for hunting like that ? It will be my first time hunting elk, and I heard that sometimes you have to shoot far ..
what would you suggest to take ? Semi auto or bolt ?

monasheemountainman
06-07-2017, 11:03 AM
either or what ever one you like/shoot better

604redneck
06-07-2017, 11:16 AM
Are you actually gonna shoot at an elk over 350 yards? I would take the 30-06 tikka but i really dislike browning and prefer lighter guns. 165 gr accubond or partition should do the trick for you.

moosinaround
06-07-2017, 11:24 AM
I'd take the bolt action, not as finicky as a semi auto! 165-180 gr pill, shoot to 400yrds with lethal results, if you can shoot to 400 yards!! Moosin

Ron.C
06-07-2017, 12:05 PM
Whatever you shoot the best

Linksman313
06-07-2017, 12:41 PM

Never a truer word spoken
(same with monasheemtnman)

Ferenc
06-07-2017, 12:44 PM
Also what else lurks around in the territory,can dictate what you may want to use.

Jelvis
06-07-2017, 01:12 PM
Hey it's jel in loopy town. Yah, I shoot ott 6 Husqvarna and it's a bute, for any animule u can imagine.
-- I've shot deer, bear, moose, elk, and all with the .o6.
-- Cranbrook I hunted the Bull River for elk and saw plenty, I had a relative who lives there and elk hunts like I mule hunt, really get;s into it.
-- Learn how to do a simple elk call, a cow or bull or calf, bulls come back at calls.
-- rock slides are where you will see Mr, Big, check the edges of rock slides for movement.
--
-- I tried 150, 165 and 180, I choose 180 for mine. 150 blows up too fast, 165 ok butt 180 yeyah
Sight in for 3.5 inches high at a hundred yards, 3.5 inches above center bull.
Then from bore to 300 your in control, BAM! Take a rest on something when you shoot for accuracy.
Jel -- Elk are big but can be shot with an ott 6 when in a vital area, BOOM!
=-ll------------------> Foxy Lady -- Jimi Hendrix -- < ---------------------------ll-=

J_T
06-07-2017, 01:39 PM
Its an elk. Keep your distances short and make it easy to follow up on your shot. Sure you can fling lead out 3, 4 or 500 yards. If you want to retrieve what you shoot at, keep your distances short. They are a tough animal. You might think you missed, as the run off into the timber. Either of those weapons will work just fine. Good luck.

Weatherby Fan
06-07-2017, 02:08 PM
I've used the 30-06 with Federal Premium 165gr Nosler Partitions to kill several Elk, never an issue, either one will be fine.

TreeStandMan
06-07-2017, 02:22 PM
I'd take the Tikka. Not because of the caliber (both 300WM and 30-06 are excellent elk killing calibers), but because the noise generated by working the side on the BAR can spook animals, whereas the bolt on your Tikka should slide nice and quiet when you're ready to make your play.

HarryToolips
06-07-2017, 08:29 PM
Hi guys. Planing elk hunting this fall to cranbrook area. In my safe I have 2 rifles:
What would you suggest to take for hunting like that ? It will be my first time hunting elk, and I heard that sometimes you have to shoot far ..
What the others have said is all good advice....I'd like to add that out of respect for the game, I hope your consistently practicing out to the ranges you intend on killing game out to...

SaintSix
06-07-2017, 08:39 PM
All good info, 165-180gr bullet out of what ever you shoot the best or will practice with. your experience is what determines range, if you cant hit a dinner plate at 200 then that's to far for ya (I know a few people with this problem) if I were to pick a gun id say the tikka, I'm a bigger fan of bolt action rifles. also keep in mind they are big animals, a lot of meat to drag out even worse over crappy terrain. Don't forget your camera everyone loves Elk success stories

REMINGTON JIM
06-07-2017, 08:49 PM

YUP ! but MY pick would be the Tikka 30-06 with a 165 or 180 gr bullet ! :smile: jmo RJ

northof49
06-07-2017, 09:48 PM
I'd take the Tikka. Not because of the caliber (both 300WM and 30-06 are excellent elk killing calibers), but because the noise generated by working the side on the BAR can spook animals, whereas the bolt on your Tikka should slide nice and quiet when you're ready to make your play.

This......good advice

Jelvis
06-08-2017, 07:26 AM
-- Accuracy is so important, where your bullet hits the elk. The vital area. Shoulder shot.
Center of shoulder and back slightly and down just behind front leg of the elk.
-- Accuracy is the shooters responsibility, so be sure and steady b4 pulling trigger
1. Control breathing when aiming
2. lean rifle on something available near you
3. put cross-hairs on shoulder
4. get steady
5. Pull trigger
6. keep eyes open when shooting to see the effect of the hit
Jel -- practice shooting at the range at 25 yards to 300, get good at shooting.
We owe it to the game we hunt to be accurate and sure b4 pulling.
- At the range, practice standing shots at target, prone and leaning on something when shooting sometimes. In the bush yah get closer sometimes so practice a quick up on target standing free off hand shot at your target up to hundred yards for maybe six shots for practice.

Ride Red
06-08-2017, 08:41 AM

This for sure. Lots of big bear around that country, so be careful.

todbartell
06-08-2017, 09:26 AM
Id pack the tikka 30-06 loaded with Barnes 168gr or Nosler 165 or 180gr Accubonds

Jelvis
06-08-2017, 04:47 PM
Elk are a good sized animal, from a calf to yearling to adult. If they make it too old age in the forests at nite and day every day of the year.
Elk are not real heavy boned but still need a bullet with weight -- i use 180 gr.
- Elk bulls when yearlings have spikes and whistle -- big bulls trumpet out three notes , 1-2-3-
- elk are social animals and like hanging together at times thru the year even more then others.
Get a real good spot to start elk hunting, like up the Bull River near Cranbrook BC
Practice shooting at the range and take some shots out in the fields as well.
Jel

HappyJack
06-08-2017, 05:11 PM
The bar would be nice if a grizz was charging!! Both will do the trick. I'd take the one I'm most comfortable with. And shoulder shoot. They are tuff and you want to mess them up and put them down, not chase them 3 or 400 yards into the thick stuff because you were afraid to damage some meat.

rocksteady
06-08-2017, 05:35 PM
I have killed elk with a compound bow
I have killed elk with a crossbow
I have killed elk with a .243
I have killed elk with a 6.5 by 55
I have killed elk with a 7mm-08
I have killed elk with a 30-06
I have killed elk with a .338 Win Mag

It's not what you shoot. It's how you shoot

Dorarem
06-08-2017, 06:44 PM
Was thinking about 4-3 unit .

REMINGTON JIM
06-08-2017, 07:14 PM
Id pack the tikka 30-06 loaded with Barnes 168gr or Nosler 165 or 180gr Accubonds

Another SMART hunter Guy ! :wink: RJ

j270wsm
06-08-2017, 08:39 PM
The bar would be nice if a grizz was charging!! Both will do the trick. I'd take the one I'm most comfortable with. And shoulder shoot. They are tuff and you want to mess them up and put them down, not chase them 3 or 400 yards into the thick stuff because you were afraid to damage some meat.

I've shot lots of elk and been in on as many kills and not one was shoulder shot or needed to be tracked. Put your first shot centre mass behind the shoulder, depending on its reaction, wait and let it die or shoot it again. Never seen an elk need more than 3 shots( 3rd shot being behind the ear )

REMINGTON JIM
06-08-2017, 08:54 PM

I WOULD Never shoulder shoot a Game Eating animal and RUIN all that meat EXCEPT a Bear ! I agree they are TUFF but LUNG - HEART shot are NO tuffer then any other ! jmo RJ

Jelvis
06-08-2017, 09:18 PM
You were thinking Mu 4-03 for a starter elkster hunt whoa! Let's see what we can muster up on 4-03 for elk.
---------------MU 4-03
--------Cranbrook-Gold Creek
- Access from Cranbrook and Aldridge -- south of Cranbrook on Hwy 3/95 a net work of logging roads is best reached across the Kikomun Creek bridge across Lake Koocanusa west of Elko.
- mule and whitetail, moose and elk.
-- Heavily hunted because of fair chance of seeing elk.
Jel -- older information but still relevant for 2017's elk season -- MU 4-03 wood make an excellent first ever elk hunt with a good partner or three.

Jelvis
06-09-2017, 07:13 AM
Here's where I like to hunt elk with my brother and friends.
-------------------------------------MU-4-22
---------------------------- Bull River - Pickering Hills

=-//---> The Bull River road runs north to east white main, east of White Swan Lake in Mu 4-24.
Another branch eastward runs across to Sulpher Creek road which joins Hwy 3 just east of Fernie.
Some motor vehicle hunting access closures on Iron Creek road and Quinn Creek road.
---> This is good elk hunting country, with some deer and moose.
- heavily hunted
- Also access from Hwy 3 behind Jaffray, Galloway and Elko.
Jel -- Quinn Creek is nice and the Bull so there yah go Hugo! Good luck in Reg 4 for your elk.

Norwestalta
06-09-2017, 01:10 PM
Elk are tough animals and seem to be scared of their own shadows. I'm not a semi auto fan so I'd take the 06 and 165 gr ttsx but that's me. Take the rifle you have the most confidence in and shoot the best. Good luck elk hunting is a lot of fun.

Jelvis
06-09-2017, 03:06 PM
------------------------------------------MU 4-19
------------------------------------Kootenay Lake East

=-//------> The mountainous east shore of the north end of Kootenay Lake was once reached only by boatski.
-- 2 daay? Fairly extensive access exists from the Riondel road which leaves Hwy 3A just above the Kootenay Bay ferry landing. Short roads run up this here hill from this road, which runs almost to Johnsons Landing. The north end of 4-19 is reached via the Argenta-Johnsons Landing road, from Hwy 31 at Duncan Dam access road.
------------------------------------------------------ ( Fair to good, elk, and deer hunting.)
Jellyvis dah Pellyvis -- MU 4-19 -- elk doood.

Dorarem
06-09-2017, 04:38 PM
I heard that 4-3 is the best area to hunt elk. Because it close to USA and elks migrate all the time . And that's why 4-3 is a good area with high population ..

Jelvis
06-09-2017, 08:54 PM
Surely an elk hunting adventure in MU 4-03 if you planned it out from beginning to back home.
-- give yourself some space and grace on the first hunt, you will learn a load of elk hunting experience in that first hunt.
Jel -- Your doing right with this here elk hunting thread, it's a catchy thread dorarem.

j270wsm
06-09-2017, 09:55 PM
I heard that 4-3 is the best area to hunt elk. Because it close to USA and elks migrate all the time . And that's why 4-3 is a good area with high population ..

lol.........I hope this isn't a serious post........... 4-03 is the Walmart of elk hunting. Yes there's elk there but every one and their dog will be racing you to get to their spot.

tons of better areas to hunt elk. Find areas with less access and you'll find more elk.

Dorarem
06-10-2017, 07:38 AM
Other hunters will think the same way. And if I'll go to area with less access , I guarantee will meet more people ��

Jelvis
06-10-2017, 07:52 AM
Dorarem, I like your response above, good opposite thinking to fill in the circle.
-- you gotta a hunters mind and brain 4 shooooorrrr. I dig it
Never mind what others say, never mind what all the suggestions are trying to steer you.
-- Plan your own hunt with a partner if needs be, or go it alone for a couple daze.
Anyways good to see you have the zeal of a hunter/warrior.
Jelio - you gotta fah hight 4 the rah ight to parrrrrrrrrr tayyyyy - Beastie Boyz -- You gotta fight --

Bugle M In
06-11-2017, 12:22 PM

30-06 is fine.....
I like bolt over semi's.
in the end...whatever you shoot the best with is always the right gun, and either caliber in this case is more than capable.
300 yards is the most you need when hunting elk....
can be very easy to bring them into 100 and under.
elk like to use cover to come out for a peek.