PDA

View Full Version : Possibly moving to MU 6-14 (Stewart)

the_longwalker
06-04-2017, 06:35 AM
Does anyone have experience in this area? I've seen goats and grizzly right in the town but was wondering about deer and moose in the area? Would there be coastal blacktail there? Any input would be appreciated.

Jelvis
06-04-2017, 07:02 AM
-- MU 6-14
Prince Rupert
-- outta Prince Rupert but hey!
--- rugged area north of Rupert, very few access roads with older information I got
Fair blacktail deer and bear hunting by boat
-- North end reached from Cassiar Hwy 37, from Meziadin Lake.
- Fair to good blacktail deer on Islands near Rupert, most hunting by locals with sea worthy boats
- Road access to central part via lower Nass River road from Cranberry Junction on 37.
Jel info from the 80's old like me haha -- good luck in all that water whoa! not my style haha.

Blacktail 270
06-04-2017, 07:15 AM
There are goats and bears. The odd moose around meziadin lake. Lots of fishing. A great place in my opinion with big open spaces and mountains.

the_longwalker
06-04-2017, 07:21 AM
Well that's good to hear. Heading up there on Thursday to give my wife a look around and see if she likes it.

tigrr
06-04-2017, 07:53 AM
Just don't tell her that the road in can sometimes be blocked for weeks due to snow slides. Supplies are then brought in by boat.
I considered moving there for a few minutes, after I went there in the spring and seen the remainder of the slide still beside the road.

Good Old Outdoors
06-04-2017, 08:46 AM
If you like wildlife, mountains, and the ocean.... you might like it up this way.

Caribou_lou
06-04-2017, 09:23 AM
Grizz, Black Bear and Goats plentiful. I've never heard of much for Deer but would bet there is some good hunting to be had down the Portland canal. Moose are a short drive north. Less than 3 hours and your in good Moose country. 4 hours and your glassing Sheep! 5 hours and your spotting Caribou. In reach of lots of great hunting. Ocean fishing isn't talked about much out of Stewart. There might be a reason for that... I've heard of good winter Chinook fishing. Decent Halibut. Lots of Crab and Prawns. And a 62lbs Chinook caught out of there June of 2016.

S.W.A.T.
06-04-2017, 09:47 AM
The town isn't much but endless outdoor activities. Snowmobiling, hiking, fishing, check for hunting restrictions, meziaden lake is one of the best, crab ,prawns, hali's. Don't expect much of a night life or shopping and if you need to see the doc or dentist your driving 3hrs. Lots of history and a beautiful place.

the_longwalker
06-04-2017, 04:41 PM
Thanks for your input guys, I really appreciate it. With houseing prices down here in the lower mainland and a good job up there a guy can come out on the winning side for a change. I'm getting excited. :-)

180grainer
06-04-2017, 05:40 PM
Unfortunately, you'll never know if it's for you unless you actually do it and find out for yourself. I've live in a number of communities up north and have seen people come and go. Some came thinking it was the only place for them only to leave in a couple of years. Some stayed. Couples present a special issue. Just remember, Confucius say "happy wife, happy life". You're going to have long periods of time where, unless you get out into the weather, your going to be sitting at home......together.........

Jagermeister
06-04-2017, 08:50 PM
Get and read Pat Ferguson's book, Gone Huntin'. Then read his follow up book, Gone Huntin' Again

khoffnbud
06-05-2017, 02:13 PM
Out of curiosity, what kind of work makes you move to stewart?

Avalanche123
06-05-2017, 03:53 PM
Just don't tell her that the road in can sometimes be blocked for weeks due to snow slides. Supplies are then brought in by boat.
I considered moving there for a few minutes, after I went there in the spring and seen the remainder of the slide still beside the road.

You should check your facts. The highway is not closed for weeks. It has a very reliable avalanche forecasting program and road closures are minimized as much as possible. Sure you might get delayed for a couple of days but even that is rare. That highway was closed for weeks a few years ago when supplies were barged in BUT that was for road washouts due to the Bitter Creek bridge washing out.

the_longwalker
06-05-2017, 04:43 PM
Out of curiosity, what kind of work makes you move to stewart?

Driving an Ore truck for Arrow. I currently run out of Chilliwack but got an offer to go there.

Blockcaver
06-05-2017, 04:48 PM
Sounds like the run from Stewart up to Red Chris. Would be a neat drive for sure. Good luck!

Weatherby Fan
06-05-2017, 06:32 PM
One nice thing is 2 years ago when they built the new deep sea berth they installed a cel tower......finally cel service up there.

scoutlt1
06-05-2017, 07:21 PM
http://www.ckbproducts.com/umbrellas

https://www.walmart.com/browse/clothing/umbrellas/5438_1045799_426265_1032919

http://www.canadianchains.ca/

A few links for ya. ;)

Honestly, it's beautiful country. I've enjoyed all of my trips there. Remote in a lot of ways with the obvious and already stated "downsides".....but a ton of "upsides" too!

khoffnbud
06-05-2017, 08:30 PM
Sounds like the run from Stewart up to Red Chris. Would be a neat drive for sure. Good luck!

Yeah, just like the run from terrace up to Brucejack, pretty cool drive....the first time.

the_longwalker
06-06-2017, 06:45 AM
Yeah, just like the run from terrace up to Brucejack, pretty cool drive....the first time.

I went up there and ran Huckleberry for a couple of months. It was fun. :-)

the_longwalker
06-06-2017, 06:46 AM
http://www.ckbproducts.com/umbrellas

https://www.walmart.com/browse/clothing/umbrellas/5438_1045799_426265_1032919

http://www.canadianchains.ca/

A few links for ya. ;)

Honestly, it's beautiful country. I've enjoyed all of my trips there. Remote in a lot of ways with the obvious and already stated "downsides".....but a ton of "upsides" too!

hehe! thanks! :-)

S.W.A.T.
06-06-2017, 07:15 AM
Get and read Pat Ferguson's book, Gone Huntin'. Then read his follow up book, Gone Huntin' Again

Then read Decent into Madness, you realize your not alone out there lol

Caribou_lou
06-06-2017, 07:34 AM
Then read Decent into Madness, you realize your not alone out there lol

Im reading that book at the moment. Great read. You may meet a few in Hyder that may compare to Sheslay Mike. Haha

the_longwalker
06-12-2017, 01:47 PM
Well, back from Stewart. What a fantastic place. Will have zero problems filling my bear tags every year for sure. I saw 15-20 good sized ones. I have been instructed that we will be selling our house down here and building one up there. :-)

Caribou_lou
06-12-2017, 01:59 PM
Good to hear. Welcome to the North!

brownmancheng
06-12-2017, 08:09 PM
Well, back from Stewart. What a fantastic place. Will have zero problems filling my bear tags every year for sure. I saw 15-20 good sized ones. I have been instructed that we will be selling our house down here and building one up there. :-)

if you don't mind my asking, what Industry are you in?

Been dreaming of a move away from LML for a long time. unfortunately my work is tied to high rises.

Rhyno
06-12-2017, 08:29 PM
Driving an Ore truck for Arrow. I currently run out of Chilliwack but got an offer to go there.

if you don't mind my asking, what Industry are you in?

Been dreaming of a move away from LML for a long time. unfortunately my work is tied to high rises.

Here ya go, asked and answered.

brownmancheng
06-12-2017, 08:50 PM
sorry, should have re read the thread.

rose
06-15-2017, 10:21 AM
Stewart is a beautiful quaint town. People are very friendly. Lots of halibut, salmon, prawn, shrimp and crab. The canal is glassy the majority of the time, which makes me feel better being out there in a small boat. We have had great success getting shrimp right off the docks as well. As for wildlife, there are no end to bears in the area. We have seen a number of mountain goats up on the hills. I think that you will have to head out towards Meziadin Lake for the Moose or farther north towards Bell II. I know that there are some giants up there. No deer as far as I know. It is true, Stewart is far away from normal amenities, but if your willing to make a trip every now and then to Terrace or Smithers to stock up, all should be well. As a side note, Stewart got cell service just last year, which is a huge plus! You'll pick up service, just as you get into town. Nothing between there and Kitwanga. Hope that helps!

the_longwalker
06-16-2017, 06:04 AM
Stewart is a beautiful quaint town. People are very friendly. Lots of halibut, salmon, prawn, shrimp and crab. The canal is glassy the majority of the time, which makes me feel better being out there in a small boat. We have had great success getting shrimp right off the docks as well. As for wildlife, there are no end to bears in the area. We have seen a number of mountain goats up on the hills. I think that you will have to head out towards Meziadin Lake for the Moose or farther north towards Bell II. I know that there are some giants up there. No deer as far as I know. It is true, Stewart is far away from normal amenities, but if your willing to make a trip every now and then to Terrace or Smithers to stock up, all should be well. As a side note, Stewart got cell service just last year, which is a huge plus! You'll pick up service, just as you get into town. Nothing between there and Kitwanga. Hope that helps!

Thanks! My wife and I are getting pretty excited. Just trying to wrap things up down here. What kind of boat are you on the canal with? I was thinking of getting an 18' jon boat or maybe a deep v.