PDA

View Full Version : Sheep hunt, 10 day plan

Steelpulse
06-03-2017, 01:52 AM
For a 10 day 4 person sheep hunt happening this sept i am leaning towards breaking the 10 days into really 2, 4 day huntsassuning 2 day travel in and out. focusing in one area for 4 days with a solid initial plan and then working back to a main base camo/drop off spot to replan and repack for the next 4 day hunt taking into account the first 4 days

opinions from people who have hunted sheep? Maybe more of making it a 8 day hunt hust moving around until sheep ate found

boxhitch
06-03-2017, 06:23 AM
Travel plans all hinge on your confidence in the area, low confidence means more travel usually.

Best to be ready for any eventuality. If you plan for a retreat, then you are committed and the Sheep Gods will have their way with you.
Now if the base camp is also in sheep country and traveling to and from is just more hunting then you're not really missing anything.

Most sheep hunters spend too much time traveling and not enough time looking for a part of a ram.
jmho, ymmv

nedarb2
06-03-2017, 09:22 AM
Don't make plans like that before you arrive. Play it by ear and go where you want when you want

Jrax
06-03-2017, 12:45 PM
Planning for 4 days in two areas is a good initial plan yes but as mentioned be prepared to move to plan B, C and D. I have gone into plan A to find people there or were recently there and Plan B and Plan C were a reality much sooner on the trip than anticipated - glassing lots on the move. Soon as I am in an area I 'feel' is good and not yet pressured then spent more time sitting and glassing. It is so easy to bust rams and/or multiple groups of rams by moving too much too fast. In any case, no matter how much planning I have done we always ended up somewhere unexpected. Best case scenario was spotting good rams near the highway!

BCbillies
06-04-2017, 10:32 AM
With a group of four guys I'd send two of them in one direction for 4 days and the other two into the other spot. No need to have 4 of you in the same area as you may also find four other guys already in one area. I am assuming you will have communication amongst two groups if you split up?

Rob
06-04-2017, 10:37 AM
With a group of four guys I'd send two of them in one direction for 4 days and the other two into the other spot. No need to have 4 of you in the same area as you may also find four other guys already in one area. I am assuming you will have communication amongst two groups if you split up?

I would do the same. be able to cover more ground this way. and 4 seems like a lot in one group.

rob

Lukeez88
06-04-2017, 10:08 PM
IMO I wouldnt only pack for the 4 days, then come back down and reload/regroup. Prepare for 8 days if need be. Packing food for 4 more days is not that much extra weight. Approx 2lbs\day X 4 days= 8 lbs. There are too many unpredictable things that could occur, and i would hate to see you handcuff yourself by having to go back to camp to get more food. I dont know how far you are planning on hiking in but it will take a good amount of time\energy to go back down to camp and head back up again. It could easily completely chew up one of your days of hunting. Last year was my first fly in sheep hunt and I personally learned a lot about unpredictable events. We flew into our lake and hiked up into the mountains the same day to get into sheep country and spike camp. We woke up the next morning to solid fog and snow with ZERO visibility. Like you couldnt see the mountain 100 yards away from you! We spent the NEXT 5 FULL DAYS cuddled up in our tiny tent unable to see a darn thing. I cant even begin to tell you how much that sucked and i have no idea how we kept sane in those 5 days. We had packed enough food for 7 days, so once we did finally get hunting we had to head down very shortly after to go back to base camp to get more food. fortunately we were packing one animal down with us, but if we were to have gone down empty handed, it would have felt like a complete waste of time when we could have just brought up more food with us in the first place! Next time I would pack for at least 10 days. Also I agree with the other guys recommending splitting the 4 of you into 2 pairs to cover more ground.

walks with deer
06-05-2017, 12:17 PM
I hunt fog snow rain doesn't matter move slow like it's a coastal deer hunt.