PDA

View Full Version : Exploring BC

BC-Kiwi
06-02-2017, 11:38 AM
So firstly I apologise this isn't directly hunting related but we are taking 2 weeks this summer, late july/early august, to load the kids (3,5,7) into the truck camper and go and explore. The general region is South of 100 Mile, West of Creston, East of Hope and north of the wall.

The plan is to explore and get the kids out and enjoying more of BC's back areas.

If anyone has some places that they can suggest we consider I would really appreciate it. Definitely not asking for your honey holes, just somewhere that we can visit and the kids will have fun. We don't want to be spending the holiday in RV parks, looking more for some remote lakes, river beds, pastures, anywhere that helps them explore the outdoors of BC.

Appreciate any input you can offer.

Jelvis
06-02-2017, 11:48 AM
What type of activity does your family do to get fun? Hiking together, fishing and biking so think back when they had the most fun and duplicate that within these perimeters you got planned.
Manning Park is beautiful Hope has some nice lakes etc.
Jelly -- Keep reading your thread we got lots of people who know B.C. well and are connected.

BC-Kiwi
06-02-2017, 12:53 PM
Thanks Jelly. We live on acreage so there is a lot of outdoor time but they haven't had a chance to do a lot of exploring. We did do Manning Park for snow shoeing or should I say my wife and 7yr old snow shoe'd with me as I pulled the younger two kids in the sled behind me. Fishing they love to do (I have always wanted to fly fish but still haven't tried yet), biking is another though two are still on striders. Appreciate the input

Iron Glove
06-02-2017, 01:14 PM
Have you been to the Tulameen area?
The KVR runs through it, you can bike for hundreds of km if you want. As an abandoned rail line, the grade is nothing at all, easy peddling.
Lots of trails to drive, hike or bike, tons of lakes for fishing, swimming and such.
Lots of history in the area.

ACE
06-02-2017, 01:35 PM
Have you been to the Tulameen area?
The KVR runs through it, you can bike for hundreds of km if you want. As an abandoned rail line, the grade is nothing at all, easy peddling.
Lots of trails to drive, hike or bike, tons of lakes for fishing, swimming and such.
Lots of history in the area.

My suggestion also ....

Iron Glove
06-02-2017, 01:40 PM
My suggestion also ....

Lots of HBCers there too. :wink:

Ferenc
06-02-2017, 01:54 PM
Revelstoke down Arrow lakes to the ferrie.. Galena bay.. Nakusp..Needles..over the Monashees...maybe off track,but beautiful country.

BC-Kiwi
06-02-2017, 02:18 PM
Thanks all, I haven't been to Tulameen but will definitely look into it. Will look into Revelstoke as well. Appreciate it

Iron Glove
06-02-2017, 02:21 PM
Thanks all, I haven't been to Tulameen but will definitely look into it. Will look into Revelstoke as well. Appreciate it

If you have any questions @ Tulameen, PM me if you wish.
We have a place there, love it.
So do our adult kids and our 7 and 2 year old Grand Girls.

BgBlkDg
06-02-2017, 02:37 PM
The whole Tulameen country is lovely, go in at the Coldwater exit off the Coquihalla and down by Lawless Creek, do stop at the old hotel beer parlour in Coalmont, a place so like the old Kootenays.

The Kootenays, are beyond gorgeous, but, motels rates are ungodly and popular spots are crowded. I also suggest the Revelstoke-Galena Bay run and on down through the Slocan, then over to Kaslo from New Denver and up the lake to the Lardeau, Trout Lake and on northward.

This IS Grizzly country and be careful, but, there is no more beautiful country in BC. Take 2 spares and some extra gas.

Iron Glove
06-02-2017, 04:00 PM
The whole Tulameen country is lovely, go in at the Coldwater exit off the Coquihalla and down by Lawless Creek, do stop at the old hotel beer parlour in Coalmont, a place so like the old Kootenays.

Far be it for me to question your experience but it would be extremely difficult to access Lawless Creek via the Coldwater exit. Far better to exit at the Britton Creek exit and follow the Tulameen River FSR, then take the Britton - Lawless FSR into Tulameen. You will cross the Tulameen along the way where there is a lovely little camping spot on either side of the bridge and a fun place to toss a fly. Alternatively you could follow the Tulameen River FSR then Tulameen River Road and again cross Lawless as it enters the Tulameen River.
Alas, the Coalmont Hotel is an on and off operation now, who knows if and when it operates. Used to be a neat spot to stop when thirsty, take a quick tour of the "haunted rooms" and let the proprietor's cat leap up on your table to lap up coffee cream from your cream dispenser.

BgBlkDg
06-02-2017, 04:40 PM
Sorry. must have made an error as it is some years since I last was through there in my 1984 Toy 4x4, "Siegfried". I thought I recalled the exit off the Coq as the "Coldwater" but seems I erred. Sh*t happens, eh, but, the general directions for this journey seem to meet with your august approval.

I used to go there on 3-4 day solo bush camping trips in the early '90s hunting elk and deer and grouse, but, even back then the logging and quad jockeys had screwed the hunting. So, I quit going and went further afield, to avoid quads and road hunters.

r106
06-02-2017, 04:54 PM
Wells grey park is worth checking out. might be a touch outside your target area though

dmaxtech
06-02-2017, 06:36 PM
I would suggest a drive through Douglas Lake ranch with a stop at Salmon Lake Resort. Has RV camping and cabins but you also can dry camp. Excellent fishing and great scenery and a swimming pool. Then head out and down to Falkland and Armstrong.

Squamch
06-02-2017, 06:40 PM
Get on crawlinbc and ask those guys, they've got a bunch of trip reports in the exploring section of that board.

HarryToolips
06-02-2017, 10:40 PM
Wells grey park is worth checking out. might be a touch outside your target area though
Was just going to suggest wells grey....there's so much everywhere in BC...the grasslands of the south Okanagan are cool, and as said, the Kooteneys through Revelstoke Nakusp Monashees are awesome, slocan valley - all awesome...

Gateholio
06-02-2017, 10:43 PM
Great thread, I have always loved exploring BC. Even day trips or overnighters or just drive and see where we end up. :)

Moosehunter64
06-02-2017, 10:45 PM
Try the Christin valley, Kettle river area. Lots of wildlife and lakes to fish and many good recreation sites to stay at.

boxhitch
06-03-2017, 07:00 AM
When we travel we like to pick a theme for each trip and focus research on that.
Mining or ranch history, old hotels, creek fishing, scrambling up to lookouts, beaching, paddling, natural oddities ..........
One trip was 21 days zigzagging Vancouver Island looking for Devils Bath, Eternal Fountain, Disappearing River, waterfalls, tidal blowholes, beach combing, logging railway,
......so much land so little time

wrenchhead
06-03-2017, 09:13 AM
If in the north okanagan...head up on top of the Aberdeen plateau. Tones of lakes and Forestry sites at pretty much every lake, as well as fishing till the kids get sick of catching them.

finngun
06-03-2017, 09:59 AM
Revelstoke and many areas are grizz country,,,,make sure ya have protection for mad bear...specially if ya have kids with you..shotgun with slugs,,bear sprey...horn. ..etc..national parks,,no guns,,sorry..enjoy about wilderness...f ,,g

Weatherby Fan
06-03-2017, 10:41 AM
If your north of Clinton stop and check out the Chasm, named Chasm Ecological Reserve, its spectacular and only a few minutes (4.3k) drive off the highway (Hwy 97).....definitely worth a stop for a few pictures.

ACE
06-03-2017, 11:18 AM
Leaving the Island for PG in a few days ...... then the Yellowhead to Tete Jaune and east into Alberta .....
Looking at the many posts here gives a person an itch to travel .....
OP, I've been to most of the suggestions mentioned your thread ..... like them all!
I don't think a person could see all of this beautiful province in a lifetime.
Wherever you and your family choose to go ...... have fun, be safe, and try not to smile toooo much ! :lol:

BC-Kiwi
06-05-2017, 12:30 PM
Thanks everyone for the input, being from the land of no predators (other than lonely older woman) it took some getting used to having to consider Grizzlies, yotes, wolves let along the snakes and other issues. I will be spending some time with my wife looking into these places and will check out the Crawlin site. Definitely won't get to it all one trip but the idea is to get the kids hooked and we keep exploring.