PDA

View Full Version : Taxidermist facing charges That name kind of rings a bell

358mag
06-01-2017, 07:33 PM
Colin Dacre (https://www.castanet.net/reporter/Colin-Dacre) - Jun 1, 2017 / 3:22 pm | Story: 198494
https://www.castanet.net/content/2017/6/animal-1846107_1280_p3224734.jpg Photo: pixabay
Keremeos taxidermist is facing 11 charges

A Keremeos taxidermist is facing 10 wildlife act charges for allegedly poaching and possessing animals without a license.
Derek Sward, the owner/operator of Similkameen Taxidermy, allegedly illegally took a five point elk, out of season, and without a license in Cranbrook in Oct. 2015.
B.C. Conservation Officer Michael Stern says an investigation followed, leading to the seizure of several dead animals on May 5, 2016.
Sward was in possession of a dead Sharp Shinned Hawk, Wolverine, Great Horned Owl, Red Squirrel and Mountain Goat hide without proper permits.
Stern says people can legally possess all those animals, even the raptors, with the correct permits, but that was not the case with Sward.
Stern was not able to comment on if the seizures were related to Sward’s business, but said the entire investigation took about four months.
Sward is also facing one criminal code charge of careless use or transport of a firearm. Court documents indicate he plans on pleading guilty to all 11 counts at his next court appearance on Aug 9.
Castanet News reached out to Sward for comment, but has not received a response

Whonnock Boy
06-01-2017, 08:54 PM
I would suggest that the Federation cease all partnerships with this business.

http://bcwf.net/index.php/membership/benefits?id=502

pnbrock
06-01-2017, 09:11 PM
lets not get our pitchforks out just yet !

358mag
06-01-2017, 09:40 PM

Court documents indicate he plans on pleading guilty to all 11 counts at his next court appearance on Aug 9
Kind of looks like there's a bit of a hay stack there ... just saying

Whonnock Boy
06-01-2017, 09:40 PM
While I would understand if the person was yet to be tried and convicted, but it says he plans on pleading guilty to all charges. If he doesn't, I'll put my pitchfork away until judgment.

Surrey Boy
06-01-2017, 10:28 PM
The Swards have a few hunting related ventures, and are known for having high opinions of themselves.

Crime + Punishment . . .

Cyrus
06-02-2017, 05:20 AM
I would suggest that the Federation cease all partnerships with this business.

Agreed.........

pnbrock
06-02-2017, 08:14 AM
Lol I wondered how many would see his plee!! Be interesting to see how he obtained the animals.

curt
06-02-2017, 01:26 PM
I know people that have hunted with them in the past who will remain nameless but this families hunting practices and ethics appear to be shady to say the least( taking ridiculously long shots at elk that you know are heading into your so called partners calls just so you can say you were the one who killed the elk is not only selfish but completely disrespectful) hence x partners!!!! ............... now the dad works at Cabela's in abby!
The Swards have a few hunting related ventures, and are known for having high opinions of themselves.

Crime + Punishment . . .

LBM
06-02-2017, 02:00 PM
Are these the same ones that did the Canada in the rough episode and are friends with the Beasleys.

curt
06-02-2017, 02:07 PM
yes they are the same ones

dino
06-02-2017, 02:29 PM
Karma,Karma, karma!

sako79
06-02-2017, 04:51 PM
Are these the same ones that did the Canada in the rough episode and are friends with the Beasleys.

Ken sward did Canada in the rough hunt I was on that hunt as well Derek did not come with us

sako79
06-02-2017, 04:52 PM

I was referring to the hunt that I was on which was the Queen Charlotte Island hunt not the mule deer hunt in Region 8

LBM
06-02-2017, 05:31 PM
I was referring to the hunt that I was on which was the Queen Charlotte Island hunt not the mule deer hunt in Region 8

Ya was talking about the mule deer episode where it said ken and Derek were good friends of the beasleys

Chopper333
06-02-2017, 06:18 PM
My hunting partner and I ran into Ken a few years back elk hunting in the Kootneys. He was a stand up guy and we hunter together the next morning. Our experience was positive. Don't know the particulars of this case. Everyone's experiences are different.

sillybear
06-02-2017, 07:40 PM
are they still marketing sasquatch game carts?

Rob Chipman
06-04-2017, 06:37 PM
This has nothing to do with pitchforks.

I've been running into too many people outside the BCWF who have a poor opinion of the BCWF (and will express it in no uncertain terms) because of bad press we're getting due to questionable behaviour of people who are associated with us.

It has to stop if we are going to accomplish anything close to what the BCWF should accomplish.

Buck
06-04-2017, 07:30 PM
This has nothing to do with pitchforks.

I've been running into too many people outside the BCWF who have a poor opinion of the BCWF (and will express it in no uncertain terms) because of bad press we're getting due to questionable behaviour of people who are associated with us.

It has to stop if we are going to accomplish anything close to what the BCWF should accomplish.

I completely agree i am shocked at the amount of BCWF members here who figure it is OK to hang with known poachers.AKA Wildsheep society Brian Martin

Chopper
06-07-2017, 08:44 PM
Intersting thread ... to say the least

Whonnock Boy
06-07-2017, 09:02 PM
The partnership advertising between the BCWF and Similkameen is no longer on the Fed site.

The Hermit
06-07-2017, 09:55 PM
are they still marketing sasquatch game carts?

Last I heard they were. I really like mine, good design.

SR80
06-08-2017, 06:43 AM
Last I heard they were. I really like mine, good design.

maybe he designed them to help get that illegal 5 point elk out of the woods faster! :-P

358mag
08-09-2017, 02:25 PM
Today court ruling
A Keremeos taxidermist lost his business, has been ostracized by the hunting community, and has become estranged to his father as the result of poaching charges laid against him earlier this year.
Derek Sward, 36, pleaded guilty to one count of hunting out of season and one count of illegal possession of wildlife Wednesday in Penticton court, receiving a $3,150 fine and two year hunting ban.
Nine other Wildlife Act charges (https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/198494/taxidermist-facing-charges) against him were stayed.
Crown prosecutor Mallory Tredennick told the courtroom that Sward shot and killed a five-point elk in an area that had a six-point opening. The offence occurred around Cranbrook in Oct. 2015.
He was reported by his hunting companion, who alleged Sward was taking advantage of the companion’s First Nations status to illegally harvest the animal. Sward denies that was his motivation, and claims he shot an Elk that was previously shot and wounded by his First Nations companion.
Neither the crown or the defence presented any evidence backing up their claims for what motivated the crime.
“This incident has put an end to Mr. Sward’s business as a taxidermist,” the defence lawyer told the courtroom, noting several clients pulled their business from Sward when the news of the charges broke.
“His father, with whom he had been close, is a well-known member of the B.C. Wildlife Federation, known as a conservationist. It’s had an impact on his reputation, and this incident has caused the two of them to become estranged,” the lawyer added.
Considerable social and traditional media coverage of the crimes have also brought shame to Sward, who now works as a warehouse worker at a modest salary.
Prior to the incident, Sward was a well-known volunteer within the local conservation community, which Judge Gregory Koturbash acknowledged, but stated Sward should have known better.
“It’s almost of like a person that does a lot of good for an organization, but rips off that organization,” Koturbash said, adding the crime nullifies much of his good work.
Koturbash also acknowledged Sward’s loss of his business and relationship with his father, but said a “clear message needs to be sent” to the hunting community about these crimes.
“It’s definitely been a black-eye on my life, and I do apologize to everyone that’s been involved,” Sward told the judge prior to being sentenced.
Of the $3,150 fine handed to Sward, $2,000 will be forwarded to the Habitat Conservation Trust Fund.

Ride Red
08-09-2017, 02:41 PM
Today court ruling
A Keremeos taxidermist lost his business, has been ostracized by the hunting community, and has become estranged to his father as the result of poaching charges laid against him earlier this year.
Derek Sward, 36, pleaded guilty to one count of hunting out of season and one count of illegal possession of wildlife Wednesday in Penticton court, receiving a $3,150 fine and two year hunting ban.
Nine other Wildlife Act charges (https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/198494/taxidermist-facing-charges) against him were stayed.
Crown prosecutor Mallory Tredennick told the courtroom that Sward shot and killed a five-point elk in an area that had a six-point opening. The offence occurred around Cranbrook in Oct. 2015.
He was reported by his hunting companion, who alleged Sward was taking advantage of the companion’s First Nations status to illegally harvest the animal. Sward denies that was his motivation, and claims he shot an Elk that was previously shot and wounded by his First Nations companion.
Neither the crown or the defence presented any evidence backing up their claims for what motivated the crime.
“This incident has put an end to Mr. Sward’s business as a taxidermist,” the defence lawyer told the courtroom, noting several clients pulled their business from Sward when the news of the charges broke.
“His father, with whom he had been close, is a well-known member of the B.C. Wildlife Federation, known as a conservationist. It’s had an impact on his reputation, and this incident has caused the two of them to become estranged,” the lawyer added.
Considerable social and traditional media coverage of the crimes have also brought shame to Sward, who now works as a warehouse worker at a modest salary.
Prior to the incident, Sward was a well-known volunteer within the local conservation community, which Judge Gregory Koturbash acknowledged, but stated Sward should have known better.
“It’s almost of like a person that does a lot of good for an organization, but rips off that organization,” Koturbash said, adding the crime nullifies much of his good work.
Koturbash also acknowledged Sward’s loss of his business and relationship with his father, but said a “clear message needs to be sent” to the hunting community about these crimes.
“It’s definitely been a black-eye on my life, and I do apologize to everyone that’s been involved,” Sward told the judge prior to being sentenced.
Of the $3,150 fine handed to Sward, $2,000 will be forwarded to the Habitat Conservation Trust Fund.

I'd be interested in this part of the story, "off the record".