PDA

View Full Version : first post, 7-42 any advice?

Hillerbillyvan
06-01-2017, 11:26 AM
Going north to try my luck at moose in august, maybe elk even caribou
My wife and a buddy just got hunter numbers and I put them in for leh elk 7-42 7-50, I have SOME experience in a few areas up there and looking at really anywhere between chetwyn and ft nelson
7-42 north interests me for the different opportunitys in aug
Wondering if anyone has experience there and wants to share tips or can point me to where theres access ?
Very much apreciated

CraigOC
06-01-2017, 11:31 AM
I can't help you with 7-42 but I can tell you for your first post you should start with a joke. The guys with the knowledge here are more likely to help if your first post isn't asking for hints. Good Luck!!

Hillerbillyvan
06-01-2017, 12:00 PM
Fair enough bud, my bad

So you hear about the 3 bikini clad blondes out fishing?
CO shows up asking to see licences and none have one, when ordered to reel in he finds no hooks thyre only casting magnets!
to which the CO replies "well no crime in that have a good day girls" as soon as hes out of sight the one blond looks to the others giggling "Stupid fish cop! Doesnt he know theres steel heads in this river!?

Hope this helps my case lol

monasheemountainman
06-01-2017, 12:17 PM
bahaha good one...lots of places to go up north...sounds like a fun trip!

albravo2
06-01-2017, 02:03 PM
Welcome!

I've hunted in the area for the past several years. In August, especially a warm year like the last few, you can expect moose to be hard to come by in lower elevations. They are up high. I hear they are pretty heavy to pack downhill too. Take hiking poles and get up high.

I've seen elk and caribou down lower but I can't honestly say if that was luck or something more predictable.

Good luck. It isn't about the kill... plan to have fun getting to know the area and burning some boot leather before you break out the game bags.

weatherbyjunkie
06-02-2017, 09:25 PM
Going north to try my luck at moose in august, maybe elk even caribou
My wife and a buddy just got hunter numbers and I put them in for leh elk 7-42 7-50, I have SOME experience in a few areas up there and looking at really anywhere between chetwyn and ft nelson
7-42 north interests me for the different opportunitys in aug
Wondering if anyone has experience there and wants to share tips or can point me to where theres access ?
Very much apreciated

Are you going to be hunting on foot,by horseback,jetboat,quad,truck?

Ferenc
06-02-2017, 09:42 PM
I have some buddies that hunt early August and they seem
to do very well hunting licks out of tree stands... its varies from year to year on how long they have to sit
but they have one very productive lick.. not
my style of hunting..... but it seems to work.

Hillerbillyvan
06-03-2017, 12:44 AM
Probly do a bit of everything, cover some ground on quad, boots to the ground off beaten path maybe some tree time

Jelvis
06-03-2017, 07:03 AM
One thing for sure you gotta plan now properly for this season 2017.
-- your doing that here on HBC which is the best hunting site available for hunting BC
-- your getting top hunter advice, found no where else on the internet.
-- now -- there are no stoopid questions they are all important to a hunter -
-- make a solid plan, then stick to it
-- keep reading your thread and you will see when the answer hits you
Jelvis -- your already on the rite site and have a decent thread goin -- welcome hunter

Ltbullken
06-03-2017, 07:14 AM
Get up EARLY. The animals will be moving around and will go HIGH. Like 'top of the mountain' high, especially if it's warm and buggy.

Hillerbillyvan
06-03-2017, 06:21 PM
Hy guys,
Just wanted to clarify a little
Though im no pro by any stretch of the imagination and do appreciate any and all sound advice or tips, I am at least somewhat of an experienced hunter and what im mostly looking for here is advice on access, roads, trails, places to camp ect in the north 1/2 of 7-42 or any of 7-50 as this particular trip is to an area I know nothing about
Anyone with experience in the area they are willing to share I would be greatful for or if your gonna be there we can share campfire stories lol
Maybe going to have to take a little scouting roadtrip

walks with deer
06-03-2017, 07:48 PM
Use your boots and glass truck is almost useless unless your sitting on a big horseshoe.

Burns are your friend logging is almost non existint.