PDA

View Full Version : carcass disposal

Vancouver1234
05-31-2017, 03:59 PM
long story short i was on my way down the mountain driving on the logging road coming home from fishing, i do hunt but only grouse really, so i am unsure if this was legal. But someone had left a blackbears head, many bones the spine and it was fresh, right on the road side, clearly it was shot in a more remote area then dumped on their way out of the bush, too me it seemed very unethical, i have no issue with hunting big game i just prefer grouse and fishing. But some people may not want to see that. Is it legal? i cant really find in the regs, sounds like they should have atleast taken the head?

thanks for the knowledge, this was near harrison

RackStar
05-31-2017, 04:15 PM
Sounds like someone was lucky enough to take a bear. Then used the gutless method. The bear was prob shot on the road. Can't see anyone "disposing" their stuff elsewhere.

Rotorwash
05-31-2017, 04:36 PM
I usually drag a carcass off the road so its out of sight. but thats just me. I dont think I would fault anyone if it was on the other side of the ditch. Ive dropped off a bear carcass in the evening and gone back to find a knife i dropped the next morning and its already gone. The carcass I mean. I found the knife

* If someone left it in the middle of the road where it could be hit by a car, thats another thing.*

DeepJeep
05-31-2017, 04:38 PM
The LEAST I would do is dump it 5 feet into the bush.

moosinaround
05-31-2017, 04:44 PM
Roll the guts and stuff off the shoulder and into the willows or brush. That stuff won't be there long. If you are a sustenance hunter, get used to it! Moosin

caddisguy
05-31-2017, 04:45 PM
It was probably shot on or near the road. It's best practice to drag things out of sight if it's somewhere people might be endangered or offended in anyway (or worse find your honey hole) that said, critters can pick it up and move it anywhere... maybe he did toss it in the bush? We boned out a bear (gutless method) this year. I came back a week later because I thought I left a bag of goodies (headlamp, tweezers, flagging tape) behind. We had thrown the legs off into the bush and rolled the rib cage/guts behind a stump... well, now it was 20 yards from where we left it, the intestines were completely removed. I was pretty impressed, as when we left it, it probably weighed over 100lbs... now it was 20 yards away and just "bare" ribs.

brian
05-31-2017, 07:31 PM
Last season I had to clean up after a slob hunter left 2 freshly cleaned deer carcasses right at the parking/hiking access for the area. The area is the edge of a residential neighborhood, a lot of people walk their dogs through there. I was so pissed off that someone would be so careless. So is it illegal? Technically not, but it is annoying, disrespectful, selfish, and a hell of a great way to make hunters look bad!

This is what the regs have to say on the matter

Most municipalities have local bylaws restricting and controlling wildlife attractants and illegal dumping so hunters are reminded to dispose of carcasses and animal par ts responsibly.
Carcasses are considered wildlife attractants and can attract large predators.Do not dispose of them within municipal boundaries or in areas frequented by the public.

Vancouver1234
05-31-2017, 08:37 PM
Very well said, I figured that's exactly the way it went. We don't want to be portrayed that way so put in the extra time and do what you got to do to keep it away from people who don't hunt or may not be Kean on it. Thanks. Also isn't gutless style dressing harder than just gutting and skinning it for a butcher?

Rotorwash
05-31-2017, 09:02 PM
Depends if it is going to the butcher.i find it takes about the same time. And if it's something that's hard to lift into the back of a truck by yourself like a moose or a big sloppy bear it can be easier to deal with

caddisguy
05-31-2017, 09:14 PM
Packing out all the bones, head and hide and what not often does not serve a purpose or isn't feasible. Stuff is going to be left behind. A lot of hunters don't take bears to the butcher either... just some hams in the freezer and grind up the rest. Others really like sausage and pepperoni and do take them to the butcher but it gets pricey.

Key is like others said... if it's a place other humans are likely to go (near a road, trail, etc) clean up the scene, otherwise it makes us look bad and it can be a safety issue too... you don't want a hiker to get mauled after another predator claims the leftovers or cause a car vs animal accident on a busy main FSR.

scoutlt1
05-31-2017, 09:27 PM
Once Weaver and Horgan put all their policies into place, I'm going to deposit everything except the edible portions of my dream grizzly on their respective lawns.

All I need to do is figure out where to leave the mouth, and where to leave the a**hole.

Busterpayton54
06-01-2017, 01:01 AM
I think hiding it only hurts us. Keep it visual and accepted as normal. Once upon a one it was common place to see a moose head tied to the front of a truck after a successful hunt. Now you'll get the seat ten deployed at the sight of a rifle in a gun rack.

Sometimes trying to live under the raydar ain't s good thing. Let's not act like hunting is a deviant nature. Every incur lost to he anti's is an inch lost. We wouldn't have lasted as a species if it wasn't for killing and hunting. In that order too.

Thise whoare easily offended are weak. Do we really need to cater to the weak? Is that even a good idea?

our ownthrinkin of trying to be less offensive to the weak is the demise of the strong.

If anything thank the unarguable substinence hunter for making an example of hunting for meat rather than fur, skull and claw.... not that there's anything wrong with that either.

ROY-alty33
06-01-2017, 04:27 AM
TEX!!!!!:mrgreen:

ajr5406
06-01-2017, 06:07 AM
I think hiding it only hurts us. Keep it visual and accepted as normal. Once upon a one it was common place to see a moose head tied to the front of a truck after a successful hunt. Now you'll get the seat ten deployed at the sight of a rifle in a gun rack.

Sometimes trying to live under the raydar ain't s good thing. Let's not act like hunting is a deviant nature. Every incur lost to he anti's is an inch lost. We wouldn't have lasted as a species if it wasn't for killing and hunting. In that order too.

Thise whoare easily offended are weak. Do we really need to cater to the weak? Is that even a good idea?

our ownthrinkin of trying to be less offensive to the weak is the demise of the strong.

If anything thank the unarguable substinence hunter for making an example of hunting for meat rather than fur, skull and claw.... not that there's anything wrong with that either.

I see your point, but think I would respectfully disagree...

We hunters are the minority in this society, and despite what we think, our hunting rights largely depend on NON-hunters. If we show that we are conservationists and ethical harvesters that have respect for non-hunters, we will gain the respect on the NON-hunting community and start to have a positive impact on the voting public and the public image of hunting.

Vancouver1234
06-01-2017, 06:38 AM
busterpayton, i definetely see your point as well, but unfortunately region two being so close to the mainland you get more city people who just would cause problems seeing stuff like that. And your right it shouldnt be a big deal as it is a GOOD thing they were meat hunters, unlike some. But upon close inspection i definetely think they dropped it there maybe from somewhere higher up on the edge of a cut block, no signs of it being dragged by game or not really blood i can recall. This road is very high traffic during the day on week days with logging, mountwoodside in agassiz, not sure if it would pose any danger to workers, and maybe im over thinking it, but i feel like they could of atleast kicked it off the embankment, or kept the head which was right on the road almost

wideopenthrottle
06-01-2017, 10:08 AM
Once Weaver and Horgan put all their policies into place, I'm going to deposit everything except the edible portions of my dream grizzly on their respective lawns.

All I need to do is figure out where to leave the mouth, and where to leave the a**hole.

thx for the laugh...heheheheh

wideopenthrottle
06-01-2017, 10:13 AM
i have dragged a smelly deer hide off the middle of a road 100 feet back in the bush cursing the pig that left it only to find it out on the road again the next morning...preds sometimes like the openess of roads to eat or to poop as it is open enough for them to see all around

leannejason
06-02-2017, 07:31 AM
TEX!!!!!:mrgreen:

Nope........
��

walks with deer
06-06-2017, 08:58 AM
Probably somebody butchered at home it's pretty hot out they left the non edible portions out side in the heat...when they went to ditch it it was a little foul so they just chucked it where ever was conveintant.

markomoose
06-16-2017, 10:35 PM
Everyone (hunters) should do their part and carry their entrails off the road .Whenever we hunt/camp and shoot something you wouldn't know we were there other than the clean outhouse and everything cleaned up.Most hunters are good but some need a kick in the ass.I despise arriving at a filthy camp!

IslandWanderer
06-16-2017, 10:46 PM

Really interesting perspective! I like it. If I have to be tolerant of other peoples lifestyles, then they should show hunters the same consideration.

caddisguy
06-16-2017, 10:54 PM
Really interesting perspective! I like it. If I have to be tolerant of other peoples lifestyles, then they should show hunters the same consideration.

If your gutpile and scraps are left in a place others are likely to run into it (ie: road, someone one foot) it is creating a safety hazard... vehicle vs animal or someone getting mauled by a critter that claims it.

I get what you are saying (and TBH can't decide whether it helps or hurts from that perspective) but a gutpile/scraps left on a road or hiking trail etc is a safety issue

Anywhere near a camp too is just plain offensive. Not even the most enthusiastic hunter wants to camp near a stinky gutpile let alone the general public.

I also understand the frustration about having to deal with other people pushing their beliefs and what not, but we have a moral high ground and keeping our compusure complements that nicely.

IslandWanderer
06-16-2017, 11:14 PM
I think we're in total agreement about gut piles. They can be a real hazard for people and wildlife. I'm thinking more about hiding the fact that I'm a hunter.

caddisguy
06-16-2017, 11:18 PM
I think we're in total agreement about gut piles. They can be a real hazard for people and wildlife. I'm thinking more about hiding the fact that I'm a hunter.

I get it, 100% ... I just went an edited my last post to add a paragraph about that. It's mostly related. We definitely don't need to hide, but we don't want to flaunt in the wrong way either. I hope that makes sense.

IslandWanderer
06-16-2017, 11:27 PM
Sure does. Not hiding, but also respecting the viewpoints of others.

Treed
06-16-2017, 11:33 PM
Leaving a gutpile in the bush is like a deuce tucked under a rock. Leaving a gutpile on a trail or road edge is like finding a pile of TP and streaks, leaves ya thinking about the a*# who left it. Where it gets left is everything. When I find a bunch of fur in the bush, I think lucky bugger; when I see if at the entrance to a mainline ....

shortrange
06-16-2017, 11:35 PM
I move guts away from the road out of courtesy to other land users. No need to pack the guts out since scavengers will get them. A couple of years ago after getting a nice deer I went back a day later to look for a rope that fell out of my truck, and there was no trace of the guts. Rope was there though. Same with the bear I got last season. I took a buddy out the next day to show him where to find bears and all the guts were gone.

Nature is very efficient.

walks with deer
05-27-2021, 01:15 PM
Leave what i am not eating where they fall..

Kill a moose on the side of the road lets see you drag those guts away.

Ron.C
05-27-2021, 01:20 PM
When I dump bones and such after processing, they go onto the bush where no one will see, smell or unlikely to walk into.

That said Id be a hypocrite if I didnt say I shot a couple deer right off the road( logging roads away from population). Never had an issue with it and leaving the guts right there.

A couple years back a buddy and I stumbled onto a griz feeding on such a gut pile on as we walked out of the bush on road after shooting light.

Was very tense and we were lucky the bear inially ran into the bush 20 yards and stopped and slowly circled us down wind. (was a fairly young bear). We were able to get by unscathed as we pasded the guts by quartering away and not right beside them but that was one pissed of bear. We would of bern toast if it was a mature bear.

I wont leave a gut pile on the side of a road again.

MichelD
05-27-2021, 01:29 PM
When I get a bear or deer I leave the hide and guts in the bush or if actually on a road I drag or toss them off to the side.

I save and use every bone for soup, if it is a bear I skin out the head and bury it for a year then dig it up and wash it off for my collection.

I saw off the antlers and skin out the deer heads for soup.

I have very little to discard, more than the skin of the heads that just go out double wrapped in the garbage.

Codes44
05-27-2021, 01:32 PM
Not really unethical at all....most will be gone in the morning once the yotes and birds are done with it. Really your just returning it to nature anyway, the same way if that bear were to die naturally the yotes and birds would have in cleaned up within a couple days - circle of life. That being said, I usually throw over a bank or out of sight etc. as to not give people an excuse to be recreationally outraged.

high and to the right
05-27-2021, 08:50 PM
Where to dispose of the gut pile and carcass is sometimes a dilemma. I once shot a big bear on the side of a long stretch of road with willows along the edge. Once it was gutted and mostly deboned, I rolled the remains into the ditch and did my best to pull them a few feet into the willows so it was out of sight. The next day as I was going down the road I was surprised to see what was left of the carcass back on the side of the road. I ran into a working crew who told me the story about some stupid hunter who shot a bear on the side of the road and then put the carcass just in the bush. (There was a blood trail from the road to the bush). They were walking by that area and got a real scare when another bear started growling at them and then crashed out of the area. They were workers, not hunters and didn't have guns. They let me know that they checked to see what the bear was doing so close to the road and found the carcass. They dragged it onto the road so that they would know if a bear was in the area they would see it and it wouldn't surprise them while it was hiding a few feet into the bush. I thought I was doing the right thing by not leaving animal parts in plain site for non hunters to see, photograph and complain about. As an aside, this was an interesting bear as I think it had just killed 3 cubs and gotten in a fight with the sow. The day before there was a sow with her 3 cubs by a creak about 100 yards from where I shot this bear. It was when I was looking at the creak area to find her that I noticed a bear by herself with a big patch of flesh missing from her hind end - like a flap of white skin hanging off her. There were no cubs with her and she was slowly limping along. The boar I shot was all torn up in its face with most of an ear missing. But now my dilemma is - should I continue to drag the carcass off the trail or open space where I shoot a bear or take the time to pull it out of site.

walks with deer
05-28-2021, 12:25 AM
Shoot bear process were it falls repeat...

Codes44
05-28-2021, 07:05 AM
Shoot bear process were it falls repeat...

Agreed, I never understood why anyone would transport it and then gut it etc...unless it's in a terrible spot.