PDA

View Full Version : new scope for 30-06

scotty30-06
05-20-2017, 10:49 AM
Hey guys hope everyone's may long is started off right....anyways was looking at getting new scope and saw the scorpion venom range dial shoot system...just wondering how guys like it....my budget will be about 400 bucks...open to other suggestions of brand...but I really like the idea of range dial shoot system.

RackStar
05-20-2017, 10:56 AM
If it's for a hunting rifle, IMO your best bang for your buck is going to be a leupold vx2 in that price range. It's a bit over 400. Or next best is the vx 1. get the basic old duplex reticle and just get good at shooting your gun.

Fisher-Dude
05-20-2017, 11:01 AM
If it's for a hunting rifle, IMO your best bang for your buck is going to be a leupold vx2 in that price range. It's a bit over 400. Or next best is the vx 1. get the basic old duplex reticle and just get good at shooting your gun.

Ya what he said. $400 or so budget will get you a solid Leupold that won't fall apart like Chinese junk when that buck of a lifetime shows up.

Blainer
05-20-2017, 11:20 AM
You can find Quality used Leupold or Zeiss Conquest mc or Terra for that price.

Riverbc
05-20-2017, 11:37 AM
This^^ I have this on my 30.06

downsouth204
05-20-2017, 11:46 AM
Yeah. Scorpion riflescopes are waterproof and fogproof, just like every other scope made lol. Guys above are giving you good advice. In that price range look at Leupold VX2 and any of the Vortex products, hard to beat an unlimited lifetime warranty that the company actually stands behind :)

plumberjustin
05-20-2017, 12:17 PM
I've got a Leupold VX-1 on my 30-06, 3-9x40 very happy with it. Standard duplex reticle, and great light transmission at dawn/dusk.

RackStar
05-20-2017, 12:24 PM
I have a vx3i 3.5-10x40 duplex on my 06. Great all around scope. Even a fixed 4x would be great.
Going for a leupold fx 6x for my 300. Keep it simple for hunting. Usually your game doesnt.
Leupold is a tried and true classic for many years for a reason

hardnocks
05-20-2017, 12:31 PM
i have a scorpion venem the rep.gave me to try about 6 years ago . i have had it on a 30-06 and a 300wsm hasn`t failed at all . they have an over the counter warrenty its equal to a vx1...imo...now i don`t use it on my hunting rifles...lol

chilcotin hillbilly
05-20-2017, 01:07 PM
VX2 on all my rifles, you can't go wrong.

Vancityrider
05-20-2017, 02:03 PM
Might as well be as helpful as I can for my first post here. Check this guy out on CGN.https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/1568010-4-Nice-Leupolds I don't know him personally, however 325 for a VX2 3-9x40 is not bad of a deal.

HTH :)

boxhitch
05-20-2017, 03:08 PM
Yeah. Scorpion riflescopes are waterproof and fogproof, just like every other scope made lol. Guys above are giving you good advice. In that price range look at Leupold VX2 and any of the Vortex products, hard to beat an unlimited lifetime warranty that the company actually stands behind :)Actually they claim 'weatherproof and shockproof', weatherproof may not equal waterproof. No claims on the Scorpion site as to what their definition is, sketchy at best.
Ran into the same issue years ago dealing with Nikon, they promised some products were waterproof, but others just weatherproof.
Know what you are buying

180grainer
05-20-2017, 03:36 PM
Hey guys hope everyone's may long is started off right....anyways was looking at getting new scope and saw the scorpion venom range dial shoot system...just wondering how guys like it....my budget will be about 400 bucks...open to other suggestions of brand...but I really like the idea of range dial shoot system.
Leopold 2.5 X 8 V-2

The Hermit
05-20-2017, 04:31 PM
I'm a naysayer on the VX2. They have a known issue where over time the power ring becomes so stiff that it is nearly impossible to turn it. They do have a great warranty and they repaired mine promptly but it was still VERY stiff. I also don't care for the smaller objective but that is a personal old guy with less than awesome vision.

In your price range I'd look at the Vortex scopes. Or save up some more cash and get a VX3 or even look for a used VX3.

Mosin
05-20-2017, 05:37 PM
Leupold vx1,Redfield revolution or a used vortex viper

Weatherby Fan
05-20-2017, 07:25 PM
I would look for an used Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40, not a better scope for the money, you can see if you can find a CDS version as your looking for Range, Dial, Shoot system !

1/2 slam
05-20-2017, 10:37 PM
I
In your price range I'd look at the Vortex scopes. Or save up some more cash and get a VX3 or even look for a used VX3.

I wouldn't touch a Vortex. leupold all the way

scotty30-06
05-20-2017, 10:53 PM
Well awesome responses guys....i think I wil draw my attention to leupold...and I'm great with the gun...but eye relief is brutal with the Bushnell crap on there right now.

boblly1
05-21-2017, 04:26 AM
i put a Redfield Revolution on my 7mm-08 savage lightwieght hunter and really pleased with the results.It was just under 400 and it performs lust great

boblly1
05-21-2017, 04:29 AM
i put a Redfield Revolution on my 7mm-08 savage lightwieght hunter and really pleased with the results.It was just under 400 and it performs just great

HarryToolips
05-21-2017, 09:01 AM
The one Corbs got for sale right now looks good there OP....

miner_luke
05-22-2017, 12:21 PM
Bushnell is running a 25% mail in rebate and Wholesale Sports is giving an additional 25% off. With the discounts, I think the Bushnell are worth a look. I just picked up a Legend Ultra 4.5-14x44mm with side focus and mildot reticle, a pretty decent scope for a bit over $200 with the rebate.

Ltbullken
05-23-2017, 09:08 AM
3-9x. Take your pic - B & L Elite, Vortex, Burris, Nikon.

gwes2003
05-24-2017, 09:06 PM
Just like all the above. You cant go wrong with a Leupold. I have a VX1, VX2 Vx3i, and two VXR. I think the vx2 and vx3i are the best for hunting. Pick which ever one falls in your budget.

bosch
06-21-2017, 03:42 PM
Yeah. Scorpion riflescopes are waterproof and fogproof, just like every other scope made lol. Guys above are giving you good advice. In that price range look at Leupold VX2 and any of the Vortex products, hard to beat an unlimited lifetime warranty that the company actually stands behind :)

Bought a vortex for my weatherbee last year and love it, I have a leupold VX2 on my Ruger but find the vortex clearer and better in the dusk situations then the leupold. And the lifetime, no hassle warranty is amazing, however leupold has been good to me on bino replacement before.

rocksteady
06-21-2017, 03:52 PM
Nothing wrong with Vortex products

Darksith
06-21-2017, 04:03 PM
absolutely nothing wrong with Vortex and it meets or exceeds Leupold in the same price range. Do your research, votrex is ranked higher for the high end glass than Leupold. That being said there is nothing wrong with either of them. Some of these old boys are just doing what their daddy taught them many moons ago and for sure Leupold has been one of the best brands out there for a long time, doesn't mean that newer brands like Vortex are crap though.

Back to the topic on hand. I have a dial and shoot Nightforce, its pretty sweet I gotta say, and a lot of fun at the range, but as far as dialing and shooting...I have yet to do it hunting. You need to be hunting a certain way to use the dial and shoot, and you need multiple people with you. Someone has to range the target, if you need to figure out the number of clicks then you are possibly using some type of computer to assist you in your trajectories, meanwhile you are setting up for a prone shot, and you need a spotter to call out stuff for you like wind. If you know your bullet trajectories out to 300 yards you are probably never going to dial and shoot unless you are specifically choosing to shoot long range, which isn't really my style either. Usually shit is happening so fast you are just holding over and shooting, so don't put too much into the dial and shoot crap you see out there unless you are setting up on a gopher collony or something.

BRvalley
06-21-2017, 04:15 PM
Leupold is always a good choice, but I think at around the $400 mark other companies are giving them a run for their money and better value....you mentioned you prefer dial and shoot method over a bdc reticle, vortex obviously has a bunch to consider, and I really like the burris c4, got mine for about 400 and they are great value for the money

ChronoShooter
06-22-2017, 05:40 PM
I bought a Razor HD LH. So far it's pretty. Haven't had it out yet. Good price for the feature set. 1.5-8x32 with a German #4 and BDC marks that suit my cartridge. Eye relief puts my Leupolds to shame. Not too shabby.

BgBlkDg
06-22-2017, 06:05 PM
...some of these old boys....gawd, it just never ends on the internet!

Did you, in your extensive knowledge and consequent "wisdom" EVER stop to THINK that many of we "old" shooter-hunters may actually have owned, used and thus learned what we find "best".

My "daddy" did NOT teach me shooting as he did not shoot, own guns and I learned from several genuine experts and working professionals, i.e. Inspector Joe Guillbault, BCF&W who was the world champ. at Bisley in the late 1960s. So, your comment is offensive and just ludicrous.

I currently own about 35 rifles, have Zeiss, both W.German, and Conquest, Swarovski, Leupold, B&L, Meopta, and have had many other makes over some 50 years. I learned by DOING and that is how we "old" shooters do things......I recommend that you follow suit.

emerson
06-22-2017, 08:33 PM
I use a VXII on my '06. I like it. I destroyed a Vortex Diamondback on a light 375 with max loads, but that is asking a lot of a $400 scope. Yes, it was replaced.

Fisher-Dude
06-22-2017, 08:33 PM
I just found another Conquest 3-9X40 MC, Dewey, brand new in the box.

For the price point, those were amazing optics. I snatched it up quickly, as a mate to the one I bought from Nechako 5 or 6 years ago.

Sad day when Zeiss discontinued them and moved on to other models.

Darksith
06-22-2017, 09:18 PM
...some of these old boys....gawd, it just never ends on the internet!

Did you, in your extensive knowledge and consequent "wisdom" EVER stop to THINK that many of we "old" shooter-hunters may actually have owned, used and thus learned what we find "best".

My "daddy" did NOT teach me shooting as he did not shoot, own guns and I learned from several genuine experts and working professionals, i.e. Inspector Joe Guillbault, BCF&W who was the world champ. at Bisley in the late 1960s. So, your comment is offensive and just ludicrous.

I currently own about 35 rifles, have Zeiss, both W.German, and Conquest, Swarovski, Leupold, B&L, Meopta, and have had many other makes over some 50 years. I learned by DOING and that is how we "old" shooters do things......I recommend that you follow suit.

don't get your panties in a bunch, my comments were directed at the guys insinuating that Vortex was garbage chinese crap. I have in the last few years spent a bit of coin on optics, and that was not before investing a ton of my time doing research. Vortex are the new kids on the block and people are generally not interested in change, and thus they slam what they don't know and find silly reasons like the offered warranty as justification for such. That being said I only own 1 vortex scope and its a lower end model, but I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one of the better reviewed/tested/trusted models if I was buying optics in that price range. Yeah I said panties...Im just kidding btw

Linksman313
06-23-2017, 08:08 AM
Ya what he said. $400 or so budget will get you a solid Leupold that won't fall apart like Chinese junk when that buck of a lifetime shows up.

Just FYI, The Rifleman series scopes (with gold ring) sold in Walmart in the states by Leupold made in China, New Leupy Bx2 Tioga binos - Made in China

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/leupold-rifleman-waterproof-3-9x40mm-rifle-scope?a=1332935

Seem to get good reviews though just know what you are buying

blackhawk19
06-24-2017, 09:32 AM
just bought a vortex viper 3.5 x 10 x 50mm for $399 at Dante sports in Que, ask for Boris .Vortex has a lifetime warranty .