PDA

View Full Version : Fly In Hunt Costs

Ron.C
05-17-2017, 06:51 PM
Good Day all,

My hunting partner and I are looking at our first sheep hunt next fall. We are looking at all options and are still early in the planning stage.

We are not big camp hunters, nor do we need a cabin. We've done a few backpack hunts for goat and plan on bringing in the same gear for sheep. Keep it light and mobile. And it would only be the two of us.

We are considering a Fly in hunt as a option for a 10 day hunt. I'm not going to get into hunting areas, but would like to know from those who have done a fly in hunt in the last year or two, what sort of ball park costs are we looking at for the air charter? I understand cost will vary based on duration of flight time.

thanks

two-feet
05-17-2017, 07:09 PM
Beaver was $10/mile 2 years ago, you pay 2 return trips, with a 40 mile minimum. Off of Dease lake.

bighornbob
05-17-2017, 07:18 PM
I think it's about 8.50 a mile. But it could be higher.

You also have have to remember it's four flight. One to get in, one to get the pilot out. Another to come get you and the last to take you home. So if the lake is 10 miles away you can count on a 40 mile cost.

Bhb

pappy
05-17-2017, 07:19 PM
I think the guy out of muncho has a list of prices in a flyer at the front desk. He should be able to help you if you call the front desk at northern Rockies lodge. He can email prices or maybe look up the website, I don't know if he lists the costs to each lake he flies to.

srupp
05-17-2017, 07:41 PM
Hmmm is Muncho lake Urs? Too expensive.
Last year moose out of Atlin was over $ 9 per air mile..Beaver. .1200 pounds load limit.
Srupp

Weatherby Fan
05-17-2017, 07:45 PM
Hmmm is Muncho lake Urs? Too expensive.
Last year moose out of Atlin was over $ 9 per air mile..Beaver. .1200 pounds load limit.
Srupp

Yes Urs is at Muncho and yes he is very expensive !!!

Stone Sheep Steve
05-17-2017, 09:28 PM
If money is an issue look at chartering a 185 or a 206. Much cheaper than a beaver.

srupp
05-17-2017, 09:32 PM
Lol..diesel was $1.80 liter..
Met 3 Americans that dropped $50,000 for their moose adventure..I have never afforded Urs prices..
Cheers
Cheap

backcountry99
05-18-2017, 06:03 AM
Depending which lake you pick will be in that 1000$ each range.

decker9
05-18-2017, 06:39 AM
Last year BC/Yukon charged us $9.50 a mile for the beaver, X4 of course. My third time out of dease, each year the price has gone up $.50, so good chance they'll be $10 this year.

Ron.C
05-18-2017, 06:49 AM
Are these per mile costs per passenger or total? We have a rough idea of what the max amount we are willing to spend.

SSS, we certainly don't want to spend more than we have to, that's for sure. That said it will only be two of us and we will not be packing heavy. So a smaller aircraft is certainly an option

digger dogger
05-18-2017, 06:58 AM
Yup 8.50-10.00 per mile.
My 1st, fly-in hunt was, 700.00 in and out. (1998)
Same lake, 1400.00 today.

combine pilot
05-18-2017, 09:45 AM
Muncho Lake (Urs) is called Liard Tours. Contact him thru that web site and he will send you his price list for the lakes he will fly you into. If the lake you want is not on his price list he will tell you if he can land on your chosen lake and what the cost will be. Will also give you co-ordinates for lakes if you do not know names and locations. Urs is very helpful but as others have stated very expensive. He does have an Otter for bigger loads also which might be useful when flying out, may not need extra trip out for weight. For a close guess on other outfits and lakes use google earth. Measure distance from Dease Lake or Watson Lake to the lake you would like to go to and times that by $9.50 per air mile then multiply that number by 4. You will be close to actual cost. One thing to remember is that if you are flying out of Dease Lake they fly out of the south end. Will make a difference for measurements.

ACB
05-20-2017, 10:47 AM
Are these per mile costs per passenger or total? We have a rough idea of what the max amount we are willing to spend.

SSS, we certainly don't want to spend more than we have to, that's for sure. That said it will only be two of us and we will not be packing heavy. So a smaller aircraft is certainly an option
You're chartering the plane, If the the plane has, lets say a 1200 lbs. weight limit, thats you, your partner and the pilot and your gear =1200 lbs. You pay for every mile or kilometer the plane is in the air. So there and back and there and back. Pretty simple.

white moose
05-20-2017, 08:40 PM
just go with steamboat. 2000 for drop off sheep. no other hunters. Lakes are a little busier. Awesome outfit and enjoyed an elk hunt with them. Solid for sure.

Amphibious
05-21-2017, 02:27 PM
Anyone have any info on float planes out of Stewart?

Weatherby Fan
05-21-2017, 02:54 PM
Anyone have any info on float planes out of Stewart?

you would have to use one of the charter companies out of Rupert, that's what we do when flying in and out of Rupert to Stewart for work, Inland Air or Ocean Pacific Air