PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Hunting The Bluff Lake Area For Mulies?

blaker_99
07-22-2007, 11:02 AM
Just wondering if anyone has hunted the Bluf Lake area by the Chilko River in the past few years? We used to hunt it a lot but due to the amount of cougars and wolves the deer numbers dropped drasticly. After talking to our good family friends Mike and Dave King who are helicopter and float pilots, they said there has been no hunters that they have seen and the deer poppulation is starting to come back. If anyone of you know how it is let me know cheers.

WoodOx
07-22-2007, 12:16 PM
Ive hunted much of the chilko region in the past blaker - give me some specifics and ill tell you if ive been there.

We used to hunt closer to taseko/yohetta lakes

BCrams
07-22-2007, 12:22 PM
I need some specifics too ....

srupp
07-22-2007, 12:44 PM
Deer are plentyful..and some crankers..I know some ranchers out there in the valley..lots of private property..

Im heade in there for a BIG BUCK hunt on horseback this sept..and have hunted there quite a bit..largest buck Ive seen in 30 + years of hunting I seen in there...hint LOOK FOR 60 WATT LIGHT BULBS...best advice about that region the BIG bucks like it high and windy..their noses dry out and they are constantly licking their noses wet shiny..looks like a 60 watt bulb.

Steven

WoodOx
07-22-2007, 12:56 PM
steven/BCR - have you guys been in recently? if you head far enough in, is there as much hunting pressure as there was about 5 years back?

srupp
07-22-2007, 01:18 PM
less pressure...

WoodOx
07-22-2007, 01:22 PM
Blake - now looking at a map, no i havent hunted that close to williams.

If Icould give you any advice, I would say get some horses.

Razorback, blackhorn, whitesaddle look nice? 8+km hike from the road though.

ill give you a hint to go further east :)

WoodOx
07-22-2007, 01:24 PM
Which valley? Nemiah?

srupp
07-22-2007, 03:02 PM
Nemiah is NOT a valley for mulies....and confrontation with "local indigenous residents " is guaranteed....highly recomended you AVOID this valley...some MUCH better areas close by..

Steven

WoodOx
07-22-2007, 03:04 PM
Oh, I know - actually I was asking if this is the valley you said you know some farmers :D

srupp
07-22-2007, 04:08 PM
no ...NEMIAH is a reserve.

The valley is the Bluff lake valley...one of our Paramedics is from that valley..Mom and Dad still live and work there.

Steven

Wild Will
07-22-2007, 04:36 PM
I have a cabin on Horn Lake. Each spring I do a drive down the valley at about the same time of the year. My best count was 278 deer. This spring I counted 28. It is my impression that the wolves are still hard at work down there. Two years ago, I was kicking the bones of what appeared to be a wolf killed deer, when I turned over a young cougar paw in the mix. I thinned a lot of cougars down there over the years, but it looks like wolves are doing it for me now.

Jelvis
07-22-2007, 05:29 PM
MU 5-5 Tatla Lake-- Good deer hunting on ridges behind Mosley Creek and Sapeye lake and on ridges just north of Tatla village.