PDA

View Full Version : Hunting up high/Backpack hunting

Wolfkrieg
05-11-2017, 10:15 PM
Hey all,

I would like to begin hunting deeper into the woods and preferably higher up in the mountains, but have limited experience with this approach and the totally off trail/self directed bushwacking involved. The fellows who introduced me to hunting 6 or 7 years ago would drive down an FSR, park -- then walk deactivated roads and eventually get into cut blocks and start glassing. This works good, but I am rapidly becoming more drawn to the idea of hunting the thick, getting up high and spending a few days camping out of my bag while looking for deer.

I was hoping for some tips and insight into where people typically go and how they access the higher up parts of hills/mountains. Do you just find a mountain or area of interest ( either from driving or google earth ect.. ) drive the FSR to a reasonable spot to park and then start heading straight up and bushwalk your way through? Are you taking advantages of existing trails? Is this even a realistic approach in the lower mainland area?

Also, when you finally do get higher up -- is it just endless timber or are there generally some bowls or open area's to glass for deer?

My backpack is packed with the essentials and ready to start hiking to scout these areas for animals, just hoping for some pointers!

Cheers,
Wolf

AgSilver
05-11-2017, 11:14 PM
Following the thread as this is also of great interest to me. Am starting with an "off trail" hiking trip this summer.

allan
05-12-2017, 06:17 AM
Google earth is your friend, pick a spot and go.
-My advice is bring a map of your area, learn how to use a compass to get in and out.
-Gps are nice to mark way points and then using google earth to overlay on your route to learn the real thing vs computer once your home.
- tell someone where your going and when your gonna be back. So they can start a search for you if needed.
- make sure your gear is up to the task, test on a small trip before heading out on multiday trip !!!

LuckyHorseshoe
05-12-2017, 06:33 AM
Google earth is a definite. I usually print screenshots off. Bushwacking isn't much fun but sometimes necessary, unfortunately a lot of alpine areas in the southern interior already have recreation trails into the alpine. Spend your time glassing the timber edges and open areas. Im sure there are other places as beautiful as BC alpine but it's out our back door!

dakoda62
05-12-2017, 06:38 AM
Google is definitely your friend. Using coordinates locked into your GPS spots are easy to find. But the draw back is some areas that show on Google are dated.

untilthelastbeat
05-12-2017, 06:46 AM
First things first, determine what species you are looking for. Then get on Google earth and look for the "best looking" mountain ranges in the areas that animal resides. Seems like you are looking for deer. I'd look for mountains with big draws, sparse timber or burns, or alpine meadows/bowls. Get up high in the early season by any means. If there are roads or trails that get you close then great, if not then your bush wacking. As the season goes on you can follow the deer down towards where the does hang out.
People will give you advice and it's always good to have the basics but you just have to get out there and do it. It's the only way to learn and it will take years for it to pay off. Hike lots in the summer and get comfortable with what it takes to get to the alpine and the best ways to move around and test your gear. Will save you a lot of time in hunting season.

Moose63
05-12-2017, 07:37 AM
If going solo, buy an inexpensive satellite phone (inreach, spot).

05-12-2017, 07:45 AM
Some great advise above. If your first time, maybe best not to do it alone. Focus on one species, but try to up your anti by applying possibly for a Goat, or a Sheep. Region 3 and 4 has some great alpine hunting areas for mulies where you can do just that with some decent odds on a Goat if you do your homework, and the odd spot for a Ram.
Its rewarding and addicting the quality areas you can find.
Go preparred, be safe at all costs. There are some terrific back pack threads you can search on here for what essentials to take and his to minimize pack weight and neccasary gear.
Good luck to you.

CT

Stillhunt
05-12-2017, 07:32 PM
Think distance to weight ratio. If you are packing in, you want to be as light as possible. The farther your trek, the lighter you want to be. And don't forget about the 100-200 lbs of meat you'll be packing out.

HarryToolips
05-12-2017, 09:35 PM
Google earth is your friend, pick a spot and go.
-My advice is bring a map of your area, learn how to use a compass to get in and out.
-Gps are nice to mark way points and then using google earth to overlay on your route to learn the real thing vs computer once your home.
- tell someone where your going and when your gonna be back. So they can start a search for you if needed.
- make sure your gear is up to the task, test on a small trip before heading out on multiday trip !!!
What he said...a SPOT satellite is a good tool, and as CT said, maybe for your first couple trips go with a partner.. and yes learn navigation, if you have any questions on that, feel free to PM me...and bushwhacking, contrary to popular belief, can be a lot of fun..

Stone Sheep Steve
05-13-2017, 06:30 AM
Good advice above.
Make sure you make scouting trips in the summer months, not just to know how to get to your area and what's involved but to make sure your target species is there in decent numbers.

Scouting trips will also test your body and gear when less is on the line.

SSS

Rob
05-13-2017, 07:39 AM
You'll want to stay in your area until last glassing light and first thing in the morning so be worth it to stay the night . And like someone else said a decent mulie will be at least two trips to pack put all the meat plus your gear.

Bugle M In
05-13-2017, 10:15 AM
Backroads mapbook is also good for showing "some" hiking trails.
A book on hiking in BC is also a good way to find trails as well.
But, as others say...google or bing maps, and use elevation lines, that way you can see if some of
the roads are close to the alpine areas.
Good Luck...have fun.

jtred
05-13-2017, 07:34 PM
Keep in mind also that you don't have to go too far to find yourself in some very nice alpine country. My hunting partner and I drive on average 1-1.5hrs and hike in rarely more than 2. We pick an alpine lake for cutthroat fishing and hike the ridges glassing bowls and meadows looking for alpine mule deer. We use google of course but have found many hiking guide books will get you into great hunting territory without the bushwhacking. Plus you can leave the trail behind once you get into the high country. Many of our provincial parks allow hunting, especially the ones that are more remote backcountry. I run into very very few hikers after summer ends leaving these spectacular areas to any hunter willing to make the trek in. Just make sure to check which parks allow hunting. If you're following a hiking forum online it'd be best not to advertise you're a hunter looking to use "their" trails. For a few months of the year I am a hiker with a gun.
It can be done on a budget as well. Either buy used or just buy what you can afford and upgrade individual items as you can afford to. I think it's important to get as good, quality-wise as you can afford but it is more important to just get out there and do it. Start small, a couple of weekend trips for bear or mule deer. Find out what works for you gear-wise, what you need what you could get rid of before doing anything big. Keep in mind also that you are relying on that gear, so don't really cheap out and definitely don't go into the backcountry with worn out gear. The one item I would say not to go cheap on would be boots. Buy better boots then you think can afford, good boots last a long time and there is nothing that will ruin a hunt faster then cold, blistered, sore feet.

Rob
05-13-2017, 08:20 PM
Safety:
-leave a note/map where you are going and when you'll return.
-if no cell service then if you can afford a delorme or spot buy one
-know basic first aid, you dont need an extensive kit if you know what your doing
-be prepared for the weather and know how to start a fire in bad conditions, to many people buy the mag fire sticks but dont practice how to use them.
- decent quality tent and sleeping bag I dont scrimp on as they are my emerg shelter if shit hits the fan and I need to be warm and dry

Area:
-google earth is good but it is misleading if your not used to it. What looks good on GE could be a nightmare when you see it in person
-give your area some time when glassing/scouting it, if you find an open meadow/basin I would stay the night and glass till dark and hen again at first light, old or new rubs/sheds/beds etc.. are you after a big deer or a nice average buck...?

Gear:
- your gear doesnt have to have a dried up lizard on the chest to make this all work
-youll need a pack (internal or external) that can handle the weight of your gear plus meat coming out.
-I said this before a decent mulie buck will push 120 plus lbs of meat, that'll be two trips as you'll have 30 lbs or so going in for a night or two, so bank on 100lb pack out.
-stay dry and warm and dont pack extras.. look at your gear for what you need not what you think you may need.
-boots are huge, people buy good boots but only walk trails with them, ..its the side hilling with weight on your back that will start the blisters...if you start feeling hot spots then stop and take your boots off, put on moleskins or duct tape.
-optics are obviously big, i wont get into this as im sure you already know to buy the best you can. hunting thick timber then not a big deal
-i like hiking poles, it holds my duct tape and electrical tape and helps my knees on the way down the hills.
-GPS, can download when you get home to see where you on GE. I use a Garmin 62s and have been using it for 8 or 9 years and its been 100% there for me

Have fun....this is the best type of hunting to get away from the crowds. its 90% mental when solo backpacking...squirrel's move in the night and you may start think of the last horror movie you watched with your family..lol...bring ear plugs..

just my 2 cents on this, Its the best hunting you'll do.....

Cheers, Rob

HarryToolips
05-13-2017, 10:19 PM
My advice listen to Rob and Jtred....

SaintSix
05-14-2017, 08:46 AM
Not sure if this is basic knowledge that most people know? But contour lines on a map (elevation) the tighter they are stacked the steeper the slope, so if your looking for accessing a mountain, you want where they are spread out the furthest. Also you can use the contour lines on a map marked on a piece of paper and transferred onto a scale to visually see the slope or to figure if you can see from point "A" to point "B" but remember to add a tree height to the estimation. IF you have no idea what I'm talking about type in "Cross section mapwork/mapping" into youtube and watch a few videos. Any other questions feel free to PM.

pappy
05-14-2017, 10:06 AM
One morning I woke up to a grouse on my tent lol, I am usually tired by the time I get into my sleeping bag, so sleep is not an issue with all the night sounds. Biggest thing is mental prep for solo trips, I have had a few hunting buddies that love the idea of mountain hunting but they always back out. When it comes down to it, they just get scared of sleeping in a tent so far from the safety of a truck or travel trailer. If your serious about it you will be mentally prepared and have useful gear. After a couple of trips you will know what gear you will need to keep, what to leave at home and what to upgrade. You got all summer to scout trails and game, have fun exploring and don't risk anything that you can't handle when solo.

Wolfkrieg
05-14-2017, 05:09 PM
Amazing feedback, thank you all.

mike31154
05-14-2017, 10:10 PM
I'm relatively new to hunting larger game but have a good deal of experience stumbling around the back country, specifically
mountains. Two seasons of a good deal of bushwhacking & climbing with a couple almost shots.... thoroughly enjoyed every outing despite coming home empty handed. Almost got lost once in a new area as dusk rolled in & couldn't find the truck. GPS bailed me out, but batteries were almost dead. Note to self, carry spare batteries, what a fundamental mistake. Several tenting overnighters too, you learn pretty quick what you need & what's superfluous. Along with the 30-06 for deer, I kept a 12 gauge with some slugs & buckshot for a little added peace of mind overnight under canvas.

Here's a graphic featuring the gps track of one outing in the Monashees. Oddly enough, I spooked some Whitetail does only about 50 meters from where I parked at the end of the FSR. No further sightings higher up, but plenty of sign & what looked like bedding sites.
https://btl9mg.dm2302.livefilestore.com/y4mryWfa0KWGrZO9YPn9ApIZj-ePnd3xUqKdwjtJ8nFSl_EsbLEBHnjR6wfynQve_ITFmF153rJY BKMGOYDnshoFi4L9EP7dj-jz1HbPACy3EKCu09dAbnh2jvjBgjm96Ugj8hD68qZUOWi2WQCd XjECH-CBdiPxHMjTkg5XytpuS3q0HcN6vAmAM0PdGfsbjSFvNFwAPRPF AkGtXV64bvb-g?width=1024&height=558&cropmode=none

Have been up pretty high late in the season in snow as well. Loved it, learned a bit about how far I can push a vehicle, had to dig it out... another dumb move, should have chained up before I got to that point.
https://ajiemw.dm2302.livefilestore.com/y4mxYtzeaeol7U-xfHEPEwwOD9Nvl7isr2XbRYU4HFTwu2SFlhEGNShcLmopfMQRc PSmVWU0mrHwWGzdk6SH4GGUEjhGqfXD9R3fD6w0K7hfiGwHnJW Z-N-DIke6oBxTaDBsQsGZEQQKTjVhpYLNQXJLCrm-Ue1GRzZM20RbIOYVIEjVXKHmarswOFaQLy8KWNUP7uEbW-3Gv7OAVyAtl1nJg?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

https://aticmw.dm2302.livefilestore.com/y4m4TYuL9Keju8ZS03OjiT8otN9NioTkTbwPoQbkSv5md_xbuy ATqZaAorcQ-1D_3qGP4iTyeCoztMxTixc85u6Moe8FwKqMzx8jfNstPKU2vcn DduBWHEt9NWqWlVbenGqbfM0d1QOZ9uDem4_FX1nea92KFARR1 dcvbMdnxQhPhTd62mMxXGQwoSW4qAdX_JJiT0JhJ8ZS_Ufh0H-zeCj1g?width=768&height=1024&cropmode=none

https://atiemw.dm2302.livefilestore.com/y4mQBXoJPRMKYB0V5_o5Smy3xf5CiNk2yJ1ZBXxAKS52N1pczS BtDtHYVOcPWQ_B-uGhs7PQuiIkf3L5gdvzIPG89kr0tBEijZ-3gBZmDqQ0MZgrMlkjClqQTPotLL7hHW33r6encPfw-VIVU_41skZHvhGMG57H4FaNUGBwpLS13Qah6KaaSxWmKU_QVBu mi9syjliV9B__7IK_Q3TEbLx1Q?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

Skis & skins can be a useful combo late in the season up high...
https://atidmw.dm2302.livefilestore.com/y4mm-Rzh4YY0N9FJaIg-NVgkIjiB1zFxVf1u4alvtR3iQZr3U08pWJ6y-JNk_eYty_j5cnS7YrZCtT8dRVvVBqtqhjBWEoEytuuhT7LeG6_ S29mcEOb1pooBA_ymWjXe3NYGGfwJ7qm4Pz9Zchd6wh14FFwnz Q7ACNqUzgE5UDM52mrnrzWFYVsx6j5OKa4R_WbMbkRWiPKQQxl xVCQ4KSq7Q?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

Pemby_mess
05-16-2017, 11:38 AM
One thing conspicuously absent from the excellent advice so far; get in shape. Hoofing your body, gear and meat up, down and around the mountains will possibly test your physical and emotional endurance in ways no other physical activity will. Even a couch potato under 40 yrs of age can make it into the alpine without epic problems, but whether they'll be effective or have a good time doing it once there is an other matter.

Like others have said, start relatively small within your known capabilities and ramp up from there. Mtn camp craft is something that seems to take a lot out of people while they're learning to be comfortable in the mountains over multiple days.

wRT google Earth; while an excellent tool for finding good habitat, I find you have to be careful making too many judgements about alpine terrain from it alone. It seems to smooth over quite aggressive, sometimes impassable features. Learning to read a Topo map competently is probably the best thing you can do to ensure the safety of yourself and others in the backcountry. It'll certainly make you a more effective hunter as well. Use a map with a 1:50k ratio or less to plan and ultimately execute your trip.

Good luck! Nothing like being above the tree line from sunset to sunrise.

Ron.C
05-16-2017, 12:03 PM
My advice is look at non hunting websites and gear as well. Lots of tips on trails and such on sites like club tread. I actually found a very detailed trip report with gps coordinates, and pics on an area I want to goat hunt this fall. Gear reviews are also pleantiful. And like others have said, some of the best gear out there is made by companies that don't sell hunting kit. And you can often find it at competitive prices

Linksman313
05-17-2017, 11:06 AM
Scouting trips will also test your body and gear when less is on the line.

SSS

All good advice given, this being one of the most important, test yourself the most, try to simulate real hunting situations as much as possible.(hike up a steep rise and immediately get on the scope and see what it feels like to be out of breath, heart pumping and trying to find the vitals in the crosshairs) Good luck on your ventures and be safe.

Highlander Hunting
05-18-2017, 11:01 AM
Hi Wolf, me and my hunting partner have started recording a podcast series on this very subject. We are the first/only Alberta hunting podcast and we are focusing on what we love, DIY public land backpack style hunting for deer, elk, and big horn sheep in the foothills and mountain units of Alberta.

Episode four- What's in your day pack. some good info for you in there. We'll be doing another one on our overnight packs too.
Future subjects:
Optics- with a local Vortex pro staff,
Choosing your hunting rifle,
Sheep hunting- tactics, scouting, fitness,
Interview with Rob Furlong- Canadian sniper who held the world record for longest kill shot- 2600+yards from 2003-09

highlanderhunting.podbean.com
Highlander Hunting Podcast searchable on Itunes and Google Play.

Highlander Hunting
05-31-2017, 12:20 PM
Hey all,

I would like to begin hunting deeper into the woods and preferably higher up in the mountains, but have limited experience with this approach and the totally off trail/self directed bushwacking involved. The fellows who introduced me to hunting 6 or 7 years ago would drive down an FSR, park -- then walk deactivated roads and eventually get into cut blocks and start glassing. This works good, but I am rapidly becoming more drawn to the idea of hunting the thick, getting up high and spending a few days camping out of my bag while looking for deer.

I was hoping for some tips and insight into where people typically go and how they access the higher up parts of hills/mountains. Do you just find a mountain or area of interest ( either from driving or google earth ect.. ) drive the FSR to a reasonable spot to park and then start heading straight up and bushwalk your way through? Are you taking advantages of existing trails? Is this even a realistic approach in the lower mainland area?

Also, when you finally do get higher up -- is it just endless timber or are there generally some bowls or open area's to glass for deer?

My backpack is packed with the essentials and ready to start hiking to scout these areas for animals, just hoping for some pointers!

Cheers,
Wolf
Check out our new podcast called Highlander hunting it can be found on iTunes and Google play music. One of our episodes completely deals with what you should have in your back country pack .

Ferenc
05-31-2017, 01:11 PM
Find a good area... have a plan..and stick to it...and let someone know if your doing it alone.

dino
05-31-2017, 08:38 PM
Not all alpine is the same And hunt the opener. Animals timber up real quick up top. Also, tcams are a good tool for you if your a beginner.
Knowing that good animals are around from tcams pics keeps you positive.