PDA

View Full Version : black bear charge today

srupp
05-09-2017, 06:35 PM
Went out with Ebony..towards Horsefly..back in there I started seeing lots of fresh bear poop. .then up the mountain stopped by snow..again..
Then stopped at back side of a little lake..let Ebony out, fed her dinner...4:30 pm..Ebony disappeared behind the truck then she barked..woof..woof ..woof..defiantly my dogs bark..but before I could say anything I hear a GRRRRRRR ROAR..and simultaneously my dog comes whipping around the truck..wheeling on her 3 legs followed by a 6 1/2 foot boar black bear . I yelled HEY BEAR HEY BEAR..which caused the bear to immediately turn and hit the bush..Ebony tucked herself firmly between my legs shaking terribly...
The bear did not actually touch Ebony..but was only feet away when I shouted..the bear did not continue on after my intervention...
Called it a day after that..bears are out and cranky..lol..
Contimplating heading out there for the weekend....
Lots of sign at 3200 foot level

Srupp

Ride Red
05-09-2017, 06:45 PM
Went out with Ebony..towards Horsefly..back in there I started seeing lots of fresh bear poop. .then up the mountain stopped by snow..again..
Then stopped at back side of a little lake..let Ebony out, fed her dinner...4:30 pm..Ebony disappeared behind the truck then she barked..woof..woof ..woof..defiantly my dogs bark..but before I could say anything I hear a GRRRRRRR ROAR..and simultaneously my dog comes whipping around the truck..wheeling on her 3 legs followed by a 6 1/2 foot boar black bear . I yelled HEY BEAR HEY BEAR..which caused the bear to immediately turn and hit the bush..Ebony tucked herself firmly between my legs shaking terribly...
The bear did not actually touch Ebony..but was only feet away when I shouted..the bear did not continue on after my intervention...

Srupp

That'll wind up the old ticker. Glad that's all that happened Steven.

srupp
05-09-2017, 06:54 PM
Interestingly things just clicked into auto mode..no time for excitement or panic..30 plus years guiding, Paramedic. .guess just used to the unexpected. .nothing and then there is...
However probably the closest I have ever been to a large black bear..angry to boot..
Yes both us cripples escaped unscathed..
Srupp

tinhorse
05-09-2017, 06:56 PM
Yikes, with the bad knee your dog wouldn't be running and maneuvering as well as usual. Luckily not too far from the truck! Glad you both got out unscathed.

gutpile
05-09-2017, 07:11 PM
Would you have reacted different if it was a griz ?

Wild one
05-09-2017, 07:50 PM
Reminds you to keep on your toes I bet

DeepJeep
05-09-2017, 07:51 PM
I like to learn from situations like this. How far away were you from the bear and the truck? I am assuming you didnt have a firearm in hand?
thanks.

Big Lew
05-09-2017, 08:01 PM
Well, sure glad you and Ebony's exciting episode had a safe conclusion.
As they say, "A miss is as good as a mile away" providing it has a happy ending.
Bears do not like dogs, so I wonder if her barking sparked the bear's aggressive behavior?
So many times others have had the same scenario...scared dogs bringing chasing bears back
toward their masters, sometimes with disastrous results....you both are very lucky that your
hollering turned the bear away.

mpotzold
05-09-2017, 08:13 PM

Srupp

It's your lucky day!:smile:
HEY BEAR HEY BEAR yelling at the top of our lungs also caused a large grizzly to turn & belly flop into the deep Gaspard Creek. The grizz was about 20 ft. away when turning abruptly.

srupp
05-09-2017, 08:33 PM
Hmm I was 3 feet away from the open door, my .338 Sako and clip were readily access able. .but not in this case. .it all just happened so fast, lol neither Ebony nor I are good on our legs..Ebony gets CCM surgery May 25, my knee surgery is June 8th..
Great question what if it was a grizzly..smart would be quiet grab the rifle and 225 GR. Barnes..
I'm just stoopidly enough, and LOVE my dog enough that I probably would have still yelled.
My dog seems really traumatized to nite. .won't leave my side for even an instant..poor girl..
Exciting events ..yes Lew my buddy..it turned out well.
Srupp

DeepJeep
05-09-2017, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the details

Big Lew
05-09-2017, 08:43 PM
Hmm I was 3 feet away from the open door, my .338 Sako and clip were readily access able. .but not in this case. .it all just happened so fast, lol neither Ebony nor I are good on our legs..Ebony gets CCM surgery May 25, my knee surgery is June 8th..
Great question what if it was a grizzly..smart would be quiet grab the rifle and 225 GR. Barnes..
I'm just stoopidly enough, and LOVE my dog enough that I probably would have still yelled.
My dog seems really traumatized to nite. .won't leave my side for even an instant..poor girl..
Exciting events ..yes Lew my buddy..it turned out well.
Srupp

You're her hero that's pretty obvious Steven. Sure hope there's not another situation that scares her as badly.
Even though my Tuk is an unusually large lab, he's not brave in the least, so has also come running to me for
protection and assurance, of course nothing like yours though. I only hope I don't let him down in the future
should he come to me for help.

snipersights
05-09-2017, 08:53 PM
Glad your both ok Steve dogs hate bears eh

BlackNock
05-09-2017, 09:00 PM
What kind of dog?
Dog been around many bears?
Been thinking of a thread on this very topic...... I know there are many good breads out there for some bear defence. I think the question is what are guys doing to train there dogs to stand there ground. I know no dog is a match for a full on fight but many dogs are good at corralling the bear and running in circles. Not bringing the bread back to the owner is key.

Anyone had much experience with training dogs to keep bears at bay? Not talking about hounds to tree bears.

Dash
05-09-2017, 09:13 PM
Holy.. I would have had a heart attack! Poor pup :( Glad to hear you're both ok!

srupp
05-09-2017, 09:21 PM
Hmmm our dog is a overweight purebred black lab.zero experience with bears .
The outfitter i worked for at Ghost lake had wolf hybrid dogs BIG dogs that kept even grizzlies at distance, when we tented it we always kept at least 2 wolf hybrids staked to the frame..never any issues..
I wasn't thinking of bears while feeding Ebony. .however her response of running to me, and trying to hide between my legs was in retrospect not surprising or unexpected..
What was surprising was Ebony just went behind the truck, was only out of my sight for under 30 seconds..and all this happened at the truck. .interesting it is also a boat launch..day camping area so human interaction is expected..and this bear is a mature adult who most assurance has had human contact of some sort.he responded immediately, instantly to my voice..from where I stood at the rear door of quad door f350 to rear of truck..15 feet?..too close. .

Thankful
Steven

HarryToolips
05-09-2017, 09:50 PM
Glad you and the pooch are ok, thanks for the info...

whitlers
05-09-2017, 09:59 PM
Good on yah to be cool in that situation and good on your dog for alerting you! Mans best friend for sure!

b.c hunter 88
05-09-2017, 10:27 PM
things can happen quick glad you and your dog are safe

Springer
05-10-2017, 12:37 AM
I would like to Book Ebony for a Bear hunt next year please...heck I wouldn't have to walk to far from the Truck either...
Pretty hairy Experience Elmer , But that's what makes for the best stories later....

srupp
05-10-2017, 01:07 AM
Hey Phil..just imensley happy she was uninjured physically..however she has become clingy..
This happened 500 yards ( estimate) from our camping spot for spring bear..fall deer..
Clint is bringing the moose rack out..how many pieces do I cut into so Roxanne can make button eyes for sock puppets for the grandkids?
Steven

caddisguy
05-10-2017, 07:36 AM
Yikes! Definitely enough excitement for one day. Any chance this was predatory or just a cranky bear?

AlexPdHJ
05-10-2017, 08:29 AM
Glad to hear you and Ebony are okay Steven. I still really appreciate that phone call and the advice you gave me on calling in moose a couple years ago. I hope to go for another this year. Best wishes.

Moose63
05-10-2017, 08:44 AM
Just a thought, would you now consider not bringing your dog on the next trip? I assume this is a rare occurrence, but the dog put you in a bad situation...I'm sure the benefits of having a dog outweigh the negatives, but for bear hunting it makes me go hmmmm.....

grizzly550
05-10-2017, 09:41 AM
Poor pup lol...Well she loves ya more than ever now! haha

bigredchev
05-10-2017, 10:37 AM
Sounds like you go back with a friend and have a nice friendly chat with him.... maybe invite him to the dinner table.

kaptin
05-10-2017, 12:44 PM
glad both of you are ok.

chilcotin hillbilly
05-10-2017, 01:26 PM
Good to hear you both came out look good as usual.

srupp
05-10-2017, 01:46 PM
Yes we are headed back there in 48 hours..attitude adjustment for Mr.bear..stay a few days.
I never hunt with my dog for bears or big game..it was a scouting snow level check for hunters from Vancouver. .
I screwed up and let a Ebony out of my line of sight even for just a few seconds.
No she is not coming out for upcoming bear hunt.
Lol Chilcotin Hillbilly..lol.
Cheers
Steven

albravo2
05-10-2017, 01:50 PM
Dang. That would get the blood pumping. I like the idea of going back and inviting him to dinner.

Glad it worked out the way it did.

Gun Dog
05-10-2017, 03:16 PM
Works every time:
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-gs2fn6s/0/e023fafa/M/i-gs2fn6s-M.jpg

05-10-2017, 04:12 PM
Glad your dog and you are OK Steven.
Scary but exciting..... Good luck finding a good one Steven

CT

VFX_man
06-26-2017, 09:58 AM
Wow, glad it turned out well!!!

Always wondered though . . . When did Bears learn they are called "Bear"? I hear everyone yelling it, if you yelled "Hey Dude" would they stop and chill with you? ;)

Cheers, VFX

Jelvis
06-27-2017, 05:50 AM
Srupp knows his stuff, good one Steven, saved your dogs butt for sure, that bear was hell bent for leather.
Jel -- as long as your ok, then that's the most important -- black bear was hungry and mean --

srupp
06-27-2017, 12:49 PM
Ya heard from several other hunters of close calls and actual charges..
In my case I'm certain that Ebony was in the wrong place at exactly the wrong time..the bear charged Ebony close enough to me and the truck that i got involved..otherwise the bear would have just killed Ebony..
Ebony has had her surgery for her knee and at least she is going amazingly well.
Srupp

elknut
06-28-2017, 05:26 PM
Hey bear....Hey bear ...Them bears must have been to school....They know they are bears ...LOL...Hear we are yelling Hey bear ...Why not hey ..take off Or Hey Bob ?.....

srupp
06-28-2017, 06:42 PM
Hmmm funny..he was a dumb assed" bear for sure..charging a dog who was with her owner and her friend ......ya I guess I could of yelled.. hey Justin...HEY JUSTIN...nice hair..lol
Etienne