PDA

View Full Version : Spring Black Bear- Shoot or Pass? (Youtube Vid)

smallfry14
05-02-2017, 10:19 PM
Was out hunting this evening and found what I think is a decent boar. I'm not very experienced with judging black bears yet so I'd like to hear what you guys have to say. I had my crosshairs on his shoulder, dead steady at 270 yards..I didn't pull the trigger because I wasn't 100% sure he was as big as I thought, and I didn't know if the camera man was filming yet. Tell me what you think..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skng7p7XHr8&feature=youtu.be

Blainer
05-02-2017, 10:28 PM
Great patience, you will find great success hunting as you do. Decent bear, not a monster, but he appeared to have a nice hide. Thnx for the share

bc_buckshot
05-02-2017, 10:43 PM
Seems to me just a year shy of a shooter. Does have a good hide and looks bigger when they are stretched out eating. Shooter bear for start of the season No.... Shooter bear for bear for meat or first time bear is totally up to you and would be considered. If you still can't sleep because of it my best bet he will be around there tomorrow

Stillhunt
05-02-2017, 10:50 PM
Young bear - legs long and skinny, body looks long compared to girth, head looks narrow, belly not hanging. I would call that a pass, but I'm sure he would make someone a nice rug and burger combo! Good patience with an animal in front of you. A lot of people would have shot just because they saw black fur. I'm heading out this weekend, I hope to have an encounter like this one:grin:

scotty30-06
05-03-2017, 02:04 AM
Pass....not a bad bear....and like others have said...great fur...but year to young

two-feet
05-03-2017, 06:07 AM
Depends if you are in a meat crisis or not. I personally would have converted that animal into hams etc, but thats just me!

HarryToolips
05-03-2017, 06:58 AM
seems to me just a year shy of a shooter. Does have a good hide and looks bigger when they are stretched out eating. Shooter bear for start of the season no.... Shooter bear for bear for meat or first time bear is totally up to you and would be considered. If you still can't sleep because of it my best bet he will be around there tomorrow
x2...........

ACE
05-03-2017, 06:59 AM
Personal choice for you ....
Pass for me. Young bear, in nice shape.

Fella
05-03-2017, 07:00 AM
Personally I'd pass but I would not judge anyone for taking it

steel_ram
05-03-2017, 07:14 AM
Pass. Young bear. Probably a good one for the table if your into eating those things.

boxhitch
05-03-2017, 07:21 AM
Big ears
but you get two tags

Wild one
05-03-2017, 07:27 AM
Hard to be 100% by the clip but my best guess would be just over 5 ft nose to tail on the round and skull in the 17's

everyone has different goals on what's a shooter but if I was looking for a big bear I would pass. If you want a good eater that is a shooter

what are you hoping for in a bear?

russm86
05-03-2017, 07:35 AM
I'm no expert myself but I would agree he's not really mature yet. Without seeing and watching a little more in person I can't say whether I'd shoot him or not, though my dogs could really use some meat and I could go for some more sausage. Good table fare and looked like decent hide but not a monster by any means. Was slender/lanky looking, ears stuck out, and surprised no one else has mentioned this, but he seemed spooky/weary, looking around and even jumped and ran a few yards for seemingly no reason, you won't generally see an older mature boar act like this, even when they think there is a threat they will take their time and check it out more closely until they are absolutely sure one way or another.

smallfry14
05-03-2017, 08:12 AM
Now my next question is, do you guys think it's a boar or a sow? I was thinking younger boar for sure, but like I said I'm not very experienced yet...much appreciated guys. The hunt for a 6 footer continues.

smallfry14
05-03-2017, 08:15 AM
Hard to be 100% by the clip but my best guess would be just over 5 ft nose to tail on the round and skull in the 17's

everyone has different goals on what's a shooter but if I was looking for a big bear I would pass. If you want a good eater that is a shooter

Hoping for a boar 6 foot or bigger! Just a respectable mature boar. I've been told that when you see a shooter bear, you'll know it! And with this bear, there were lots of questions and uncertainty...glad I passed now.

Moe.JKU
05-03-2017, 08:38 AM
I would have shot, nice to have some meat. You always have a 2nd tag for a monster.

Wild one
05-03-2017, 08:44 AM
It's a boar in my opinion

one thing I will tell you is bears are probably the most highly exaggerated by hunters when it comes to length.

A bear with a trophy size skull can be under 6ft. Usually a bear between 5'6 -5'10 will have a skull between 18-19 1/2 inch give or take. This can vary expecially depending on the genetics in the area. 6 ft bear can be really big 6'6 plus can be a tank

Anytime I talk length it is on the round nose to tail. Many go squared using the front paw wing span and length this gives a higher number on black bear. Others measure the hide after skinning it out again it gives a higher number.

so when you see guys post pics of six foot bears consider how it could have been measured. I know a few taxidermist and they don't see many 6ft or better bears a year if you go by nose to tail on the round. Most bears they see are in the 5'6 - to just shy of 6 ft. They get told guys are bring in bears over six all the time

So take the above into consideration. So if your goal is an honest to god 6ft bear you may eat your tag

Phil
05-03-2017, 08:47 AM
Not a shooter this early in the season IMO. Nice coat though.

tomahawk
05-03-2017, 08:51 AM
It depends on what your goal is.

Trophy big skull record book bear? He's not a bear to shoot
Meat bear .... He's a shooter

moosinaround
05-03-2017, 09:08 AM
Still a calf killer, if its legal, go ahead and shoot it! Make some fine sausage. If your in a big bear contest, leave it be, because it wont make it in the top ten! It up to you! Now what I seen, was a 2 year old boar, skinny, the triangle formed by the bears ears and snout was very narrow, very large ears, and it stuck around to give you lots of time to judge it.

Big boars have barrel chests, no neck, and the triangle that forms its ears and snout is very wide. The ears on a big boar seem small in proportion to its big blocky head, and will appear to be more on the side of the bears head, rather on top as is the case with the bear you were filming.

Little bears make good food, and that boar you were filming, would make a good batch of pepperonies, and a good batch of smokies! Moosin

MichelD
05-03-2017, 09:13 AM
I have a standing order from my Mrs. for a two or three year old for the freezer. I don't keep the hides anyway, so that is a non-issue.

Would it be a shooter for me?

Yes. If it was closer. I don't like long shots and for me that's a long shot.

Wild one
05-03-2017, 09:16 AM
Agree with Moosin if you want big look for small ears that seem set on the side of his head

Big boars walk different as well almost a pigeon toed lumber. Not all big boars look thick in the spring but you will notice a muscular front end. Just like people some are long and lean well others are fat and stocky.

Fisher-Dude
05-03-2017, 10:32 AM
This is what I saw in that video.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/5b/ed/1d/5bed1d443fb168da7c7220e85c27cb15.jpg

05-03-2017, 11:24 AM
its up to you.. I thought it was a shootable bear.... I cant tell you if it was a boar or sow I watched the video too long ago and didn't think to look!

smallfry14
05-03-2017, 03:01 PM
What i didn't tell you guys was about 30 minutes after that video, I shot a much bigger bear! Darkness fell and I wasn't about to go in after a wounded bear in the dark. I think it might be an honest 6' bear. Pics, video, story to come tonight.

gmachine19
05-03-2017, 03:03 PM
I do love my bear meat. Shooter for me for sure. Also I think its a boar as well.

05-03-2017, 03:13 PM
that's why you pass on the so so .... lol Right on!

Caribou_lou
05-03-2017, 04:30 PM
Definitely a boar. Not huge but a good one. Didn't look like 270 yards to me but you did have a rangefinder.

Rhyno
05-03-2017, 06:03 PM
Personally I'd pass but I would not judge anyone for taking it

This

I agree it is a young bear but perfectly legal.

Johnny G1
05-04-2017, 09:12 AM
A very nice bear, seen the hide my self, 6'7".

Wild one
05-04-2017, 12:28 PM
A very nice bear, seen the hide my self, 6'7".

Sounds like a good one

Linksman313
05-04-2017, 02:40 PM

What the Wild One mentioned, also great patience shown in this scenario, wish you the best of luck on your hunt!!

smallfry14
05-04-2017, 09:33 PM
Gonna need to make an imgur account before I can post pics, im sick of photobucket. Editing a video of the kill tonight. The bear i ended up killing was much bigger, a great mature boar. Scored the skull as best I could without calipers and came up with 19.5". Measured 6'6" from nose to tail, skinned with head and claws on. Will make a different thread for it tomorrow.

Wild one
05-04-2017, 09:36 PM
Once dry probably 19 1/4 but still a good bear sounds like you met your goal congrats

smallfry14
05-06-2017, 09:52 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?136786-Spring-Bear-2017-Video

Fella
05-06-2017, 10:12 AM
its up to you.. I thought it was a shootable bear.... I cant tell you if it was a boar or sow I watched the video too long ago and didn't think to look!

Dru, I thought only 7 footers were shooters in your book LOL!