PDA

View Full Version : Central interior.

TGF
07-21-2007, 07:14 AM
Anyone know why they call Kamloops area the central interior when it is no where near the central interior of BC? Its just a little irritating when you live in central BC....apparently I'm called north central BC:-? and I live between Prince George and Vanderhoof which looks like the geographical center of our great mixed up regions BC.
No real big deal but seems like when they named areas (north, central etc) a map of all of BC wasn't used.

CanuckShooter
07-21-2007, 07:20 AM
What does it matter when you live in the center of the UNIVERSE?? It could be wurse...you could be in the Cariboo....or the Kootnays...:)

TGF
07-21-2007, 07:30 AM
Nope doesn't really matter all that much but had some friends from Saskatchewan visiting last month. I told them I live in central BC and they said Oh Kamloops. Which is 5.5 hours from here. They said alot of brochures travel brochures call Kamloops our central interior.

CanuckShooter
07-21-2007, 07:42 AM
It's all about perspective...if you plot Kamloops and Prince George..they are both near the central part of the province if your looking at the distance between Alberta and the Pacific Ocean!

As for the 'north' part...there are alot of people that live north of the Pine Pass that will tell you Prince George isn't north!!

338 winmag
07-21-2007, 08:28 AM
Canuckshooter , do u hunt 7-17 much?

Derek_Erickson
07-21-2007, 08:33 AM
They must not care for the folk up there

Gun Dog
07-21-2007, 09:07 AM
For Vancouverites, Kamloops is Northern BC. Cranbrook is Northern BC. Actually, anything past Hope is Northern BC. Chilliwack is the BC Interior.

Jagermeister
07-21-2007, 11:27 AM
This most likely stems from the goldrush days. Anywhere outside of the Fraser Valley was "up country" or "the interior". Prince George was so remote to the lower mainland that it got the up north stigma that refuses to go away.
Personally, I would like to see the capital of the territory (province) of British Columbia restored to it's original location. And no, I'm not talking about New Westminster, I'm referring to Fort St. James. The "Fort" was the administrative centre for New Caledonia, which was the original name for British Columbia. Just think how much more effective our politicians would be if the legislature was conducted at the "Fort"!

Frango
07-21-2007, 12:05 PM
The same reason they call Nanaimo, central island???? I quess.??

Phreddy
07-21-2007, 12:44 PM
Hey...Don't complain.....Here in Princeton they call us "Beyond Hope".:mrgreen:

TGF
07-21-2007, 02:00 PM
This most likely stems from the goldrush days. Anywhere outside of the Fraser Valley was "up country" or "the interior". Prince George was so remote to the lower mainland that it got the up north stigma that refuses to go away.
Personally, I would like to see the capital of the territory (province) of British Columbia restored to it's original location. And no, I'm not talking about New Westminster, I'm referring to Fort St. James. The "Fort" was the administrative centre for New Caledonia, which was the original name for British Columbia. Just think how much more effective our politicians would be if the legislature was conducted at the "Fort"!

I'll 2nd that:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Chuck
07-21-2007, 05:11 PM
All sage observations I will agree.....and then there are "the Columbias" now I know where Peru, Equador, Brazil etc. are but I only know of one Columbia, and it isn't British.
Time to start re-naming things I'd guess.

kennyg826
07-22-2007, 08:50 PM
Kinda like everyone on the east side of the rockies is classified as a Newfy.

CanuckShooter
07-23-2007, 07:11 AM
Kinda like everyone on the east side of the rockies is classified as a Newfy.

What?? You mean that you've never heard of a stubble-jumper? Or a plough-boy?? You'll run into lots of them east of the rockies.:mrgreen:

Caveman
07-23-2007, 07:40 AM
Hey...Don't complain.....Here in Princeton they call us "Beyond Hope".:mrgreen:

For Good Reason Too!!! :twisted:

mapguy
07-23-2007, 07:48 AM
everybody knows prince george is the north fort nelson and dawson creek don't count there off the map
so yes kamloops is the center of bc hehehehheee

mapguy
07-23-2007, 07:49 AM
beyound hope is good iv'e been to hope