PDA

View Full Version : phone charger for hike in hunt??

xcaribooer
04-25-2017, 09:52 PM
What do you use? I was wondering what others use to give their portable device a charge if you are up the mountain and away from power for a few days? I am thinking mostly for the camera function of my phone. I understand there are portable chargers but ive never used one.

Tron
04-25-2017, 10:23 PM
I've been thinking about the same thing. I have a phone, in reach and camera that all have built in batteries. I was thinking of using one of the lithium ion batterie packs that can give a charge. I would be interested to learn if there are better options out there

todbartell
04-25-2017, 10:26 PM
some good solar chargers on the market these days

Ohwildwon
04-25-2017, 10:34 PM
(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017GQ7OEA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)Nekteck 20W Solar Charger with 2-Port USB Charger Build with High efficiency Solar Panel Cell for All USB Device

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017GQ7OEA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017GQ7OEA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

steve-r
04-25-2017, 10:36 PM
I use a RavPower 26,800 mah charger. Charges my Iphone for 10 days. Found it on Amazon Cda

northernbc
04-25-2017, 10:39 PM
Costco Duracell battery 3 in a pack for 20 bucks. One little one charges phone completely just charge up at home then plug phone in when needed

dd3boss
04-25-2017, 10:40 PM
The portable battery packs you can get now are great since you don't need a sunny day to make them run. They will power up almost any device many times over again plus give you the added bonus of boosting your vehicle or quad if the need arises.

warnniklz
04-25-2017, 10:41 PM
https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/productline/adventure/

Just picked up an anti-gravity ultralight x. Flashlight, mini stereo and powerbank all in one

high and to the right
04-25-2017, 10:57 PM
I have the antigravity battery and it works well. I have a GPS unit and don't use my phone for GPS. If I turn my phone off and only turn it on to check emails and make a call when I have cell range it will last many days that way.

Bear Brawler
04-25-2017, 11:01 PM
I have an Anker 20000 battery, 3 usb ports and charges 9V also. Quick fix and made a power cable for my Garmin to charge usb, kept my iPhone 6, Garmin Ryhno, and Inreach charged for 12 days.

Laurp99
04-25-2017, 11:02 PM
I picked up a Goal Zero solar panel at Costco a few years ago, it also includes a charger with 4 AA batteries that can double for as a USB battery pack. A few days or a few weeks makes little difference.
I think it was around $120.

http://www.goalzero.com/shop/p/79/Guide-10-Adventure-Kit/1:1/

two-feet
04-26-2017, 06:13 AM
If you keep your phone on airplane mode, and turn it off at night, it should last for days. I have used mine as a camera for over a week this way.

Stresd
04-26-2017, 06:35 AM
I've used a 50,000 mah power bank for quite a few years now. Paid about $18 bucks for it. Re-charges my Inreach se and Android for 2 week flyin trips with no problem, with Lots of juice left over. About the same size as my phone but just a little bit heavier. Smaller sizes available as well. Just search for 10,000mah or 20,000Mah etc.
Take your pick:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cell-Phone-Accessories/9394/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=50000mah%20power%20bank&rt=nc&LH_FS=1&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Buckmeister
04-26-2017, 07:28 AM
If you keep your phone on airplane mode, and turn it off at night, it should last for days. I have used mine as a camera for over a week this way.

I second this. Or keep the phone off at all times, turn it on for the pics, then shut off again. If your not out all the time, why spend the extra $$$ and add weight to your pack just to have a fully charged phone?? I would rather add weight to my pack by carrying a real camera that can take way better pics than a cell phone can, especially for a hike, and just leave the phone turned off and only turn on in case of emergency. (IF you just so happen to be somewhere you can get phone service)

Wentrot
04-26-2017, 07:31 AM
I've used a 50,000 mah power bank for quite a few years now. Paid about $18 bucks for it. Re-charges my Inreach se and Android for 2 week flyin trips with no problem, with Lots of juice left over. About the same size as my phone but just a little bit heavier. Smaller sizes available as well. Just search for 10,000mah or 20,000Mah etc.
Take your pick:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cell-Phone-Accessories/9394/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=50000mah%20power%20bank&rt=nc&LH_FS=1&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

x2 on these. Amazing how well they work.

Slinky Pickle
04-26-2017, 07:46 AM
I have one of these units. I have a nasty habit of playing cribbage on my phone while sitting in my tree stand so I use it all the time. Pre-charge the unit before you go out and then let it sit in the sun as often as possible.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61yPyaK4UpL._SY355_.jpg

https://www.amazon.ca/AUKEY-12000mAh-Charger-SunPower-Outputs/dp/B01B4KJU7I/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1493217743&sr=8-8&keywords=solar+phone+charger

Backwoods
04-26-2017, 08:22 AM
I Use a NekTeck solar charger/ power block 30,000mAh, I bought off Amazon, $30 ! works great on a 10 day sheep hunt I kept my head lamp fully charged, InReach, And cell phone which i pair up with my inreach so burns batt life a bit more. I want to look into the Goal Zero panels and charge block $120 from Best Buy

Osprey87
04-26-2017, 08:37 AM
Dark energy chargers are the way to go

JLsteel
04-26-2017, 08:37 AM
I have an a couple battery packs. They work great but never seem to be able to charge devices as many times as they state they can.

Darksith
04-26-2017, 09:06 AM
I would go solar as well, without the built in battery option. Will weigh less

Darksith
04-26-2017, 09:08 AM
a real camera that can take way better pics than a cell phone can,

you must have an iphone haha

Stresd
04-26-2017, 10:07 AM
I would go solar as well, without the built in battery option. Will weigh less

My older model
50,000 Mah battery bank weighs 9.5 oz dimensions of 3/4"x 5"x 2-5/8" Fits easily in pocket. Newer models are a little smaller.

The old samsung S3 phone I use only to communicate with my Inreach SE. The phone battery is 2100mah. My Inreach Se battery is a 2450mah
So doing the math my 50,000mah battery bank can re-charge my phone from complete discharge 23.81 times Or can re-charge my Inreach Se 20.41 times.
In the real world this is never actually true. But it shows that I have more than enough juice to keep my communication electronics charged on a 14 day fly in hunt.

AgSilver
04-26-2017, 12:27 PM
I have a solar chargeable power bank (just search solar power bank on amazon.ca and you'll see what I mean) as well as an actual solar charger. I also have the Costco Duracell mini banks and a couple of others in various sizes. Depends on where you're going, how long you're going for, and what anticipated conditions would be.

Keep in mind that with most power banks, the stated mAh is..."optimistic" at best.

Good thing about the solar charger is that, if the weather's good, you can just strap it to the outside of your pack during the day and it can be charging your device or, better yet, your power bank so that IT is charged when you need it.

Could also use a Biolite, I suppose.

tigrr
04-26-2017, 04:26 PM
It is fun watching someone check their phone every 10 minutes 100 miles from nothing. If you shut it off it will last a month. If you leave it on it will kill the battery with the roaming searches. Leave it in the truck and take a camera!!
I live in the middle of nowhere and love the no cell service symbol.

BCbuckhunter
04-26-2017, 05:04 PM
I have a Dark Energy Poseidon. Have an Anker 13000 mAh as well but its a bit finicky, doesn't always charge. The dark energy is really good, water proof, drop proof, holds it charge. and made by hunters for hunters. Ive thought about a solar charger but if on a sheep hunt and you get bad weather and no sun its useless weight.

AgSilver
04-26-2017, 05:23 PM
It is fun watching someone check their phone every 10 minutes 100 miles from nothing. If you shut it off it will last a month. If you leave it on it will kill the battery with the roaming searches. Leave it in the truck and take a camera!!
I live in the middle of nowhere and love the no cell service symbol.

I can have much more robust GPS (including vast swaths of aerial imagery) with my phone than I can with any other device. Maybe you don't like GPS either, and that's fine...but it's not for everyone.

Additionally, some of us don't have the types of jobs that allow us to truly "fully" unplug, so I have an InReach for messaging. Sure glad I had it last year as it prevented an issue that could have ended up either resulting in me having to cut my trip very short or possibly being sued for half a million dollars. (bank's fault, not mine, but I still had to resolve it...glad I was in an area where I happened on a high knoll and had sufficient signal to get on the horn with RBC so that they fixed the problem)

Unfortunate consequence of profession choice? Probably. Wish it wasn't that way, but it is. Although, I do agree that it's better not to be hooked up to it the entire time you're out...but I do still need to be reachable.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-26-2017, 06:34 PM
The only reason I would take my phone would be for using a phonescope with my spotter. Can take some decent long range video....and running video uses battery life pretty good.

scottwh
04-26-2017, 06:45 PM
The only reason I would take my phone would be for using a phonescope with my spotter. Can take some decent long range video....and running video uses battery life pretty good.

I use mine for this too and pics. I have a small solar panel I attatch to my pack and keep iphone in airplane mode. For some strange reason my iphone battery lasts forever.....

Buckmeister
04-26-2017, 07:20 PM
you must have an iphone haha

How did you guess??? :roll:

Stresd
04-27-2017, 07:27 AM
I have a dedicated old garbage S3 phone that I use only with my Inreach. Paired with the Inreach, it so much easier/quicker to communicate using my Inreach SE. My Inreach phone combo has Saved me a couple times now. Once when My Sat phone crapped out, I was still able to contact Janet at Alpine Aviation to change our pickup date. was even able to contact Airport inn in Whitehorse to Change our room Booking. All communications done only using my old cell phone paired with the Inreach. I consider them a must When heading back in where no Cell is avcailable. And having a 50,000mah battery backup to keep them powered,all in a nice small 9 oz package makes it a no brainer for me to have.

pg83
04-27-2017, 08:32 PM
I also use a Dark Energy Poseidon and it works pretty good. I don't get as many charges out of it as I hoped, but that is the same with any other manufacturer I have tried. It's just about bomb proof and made by hunters so I will support them over the next guy. I have yet to go on airplane for charging so I might gain a bit there. Tried solar stuff in the past and was unimpressed. Might be more useful in the Southern states than the Northern Rockies.

simonvancouver
04-28-2017, 06:05 PM
Anker for me, used many of their products well made and works well.

FortBoy
05-01-2017, 10:16 AM
a bit different from what others have suggested.....but i just use my stove. I cook with a biolite out in the woods and while cooking, it will also charge you devices.