PDA

View Full Version : New Google Earth

Brew
04-23-2017, 07:50 PM
Just spent a little time playing with the new google earth. I quite like it and it now has a 3d button. Should help with scouting for the upcoming season.
check it out.

mike31154
04-23-2017, 08:56 PM
Great except that you need Chrome as a browser, which I don't currently have. I tried it before but decided to go back to Edge. Google keeps nagging to convert, which annoys me.

albravo2
04-23-2017, 09:05 PM
yeah, that is my hurdle too. i've used the native safari on my mac for the past 6 years without any problem. i hate to switch to chrome just to get the upgraded google earth.

Fella
04-23-2017, 10:04 PM
You shouldn't have to use Chrome for everything if you download it. Heck, on my Mac I'm running Firefox, safari and Chrome just fine.

hoochie
04-23-2017, 10:41 PM
In the old google earth, I have the data from my GPS uploaded in it, and i have the locations of harvested animals marked. I also have the MU overlay on it.
The old version was a great source. Why doesnt this info transfer over when I open the new Chrome one?
Thumbs down!!

Lastcar
04-23-2017, 11:07 PM
It would make sense that it only works on Chrome. The last thing Google wants to do is chase its tail trying to get it work in all browsers. Of which they have no control over.

I am sure it is a complicated piece of software to maintain, never mind giving up control of the environment it is running on.

I don't fault Google for this decision.

Chrome is free. And a great browser. If all you use it for is this, it is no different than when you'd download the previous version of Google Earth.

Even more simply put, first work problem. :)

Timberjack
04-24-2017, 06:09 AM
Is the imagery any better, especially in those areas of bad coverage?

Pioneerman
04-24-2017, 07:06 AM
You can always use Chrome for just GE and nothing else and use regular browser for everything as usual.

headhunter2
04-24-2017, 07:10 AM
Is the imagery any better, especially in those areas of bad coverage?

+1

All I ever get in my area is clouds.

boxhitch
04-24-2017, 07:29 AM
Amazing..............ly poor. New version still doesn't have the fine resolution of Bing Maps, where you can pick out trees and trails and cabins etc

But it does appear as though some clouds are gone )

Weatherby Fan
04-24-2017, 07:30 AM
Just spent a little time playing with the new google earth. I quite like it and it now has a 3d button. Should help with scouting for the upcoming season.
check it out.

Just loaded it Barry, much better picture for sure on the 3D option, thanks for the heads up.

boxhitch
04-24-2017, 07:53 AM
And where is the tool bar for panning measuring rotating and tilting etc ?

Fail

Brew
04-24-2017, 08:26 AM
its there. you just have to click one of the icons on lower right side of screen.

Brew
04-24-2017, 08:27 AM
Like everything new it takes time to learn. I enjoyed playing with it.

Darksith
04-24-2017, 09:10 AM
Amazing..............ly poor. New version still doesn't have the fine resolution of Bing Maps, where you can pick out trees and trails and cabins etc

Jeesh man lol, don't tell them that Bing maps switches to actual ariel photos below 1000m elevation, allowing you to see docks, cabins, and super find detail!

Lastcar
04-24-2017, 09:11 AM

There is an option to choose from images from different dates. So you are able to find the no clouds images, or no snow images, or even find new cuts or cuts that are filling in etc.

I can't tell you where to find that on the new one yet though.

Darksith
04-24-2017, 09:12 AM
Just loaded it Barry, much better picture for sure on the 3D option, thanks for the heads up.

the 3d was always there on google earth, it just wasn't a button. You just need to change your angle of view

boxhitch
04-24-2017, 09:15 AM
Jeesh man lol, don't tell them that Bing maps switches to actual ariel photos below 1000m elevation, allowing you to see docks, cabins, and super find detail!Find your waterfalls?

Darksith
04-24-2017, 09:31 AM
Find your waterfalls?

which falls, the ones in 7-52?

XPEIer
04-24-2017, 04:18 PM
In the old google earth, I have the data from my GPS uploaded in it, and i have the locations of harvested animals marked. I also have the MU overlay on it.
The old version was a great source. Why doesnt this info transfer over when I open the new Chrome one?
Thumbs down!!

Save your My Place folder to your desk top, when you get the new version, just do a file open and that will import all your data. I do it as a back up twice a year.

Slinky Pickle
04-24-2017, 04:40 PM
I don't see anything really new other than it running in a browser. It's missing many of the features from GE Pro and since that is now free, it would only make sense to include same features in the web based version. I see no value in using this version over the old one.

As for newer imagery, the data is the same as in the previous version so if you're looking for that you're out of luck. For those saying that Bing has newer/better images, that's not quite true. In many places Bing is newer/better but it's also the opposite in just as many places. I have an overlay in Google Earth that lets me switch between GE and Bing so I can see who has the best imagery in a given area.

DeerForce
04-24-2017, 09:16 PM
I've never heard of Bing, is this an add on to google earth? I've been using GE pro app that I downloaded on my mac, it this browser version their new direction?

Darksith
04-24-2017, 09:26 PM
I've never heard of Bing, is this an add on to google earth? I've been using GE pro app that I downloaded on my mac, it this browser version their new direction?

just google bing maps...enjoy

Bear Chaser
04-24-2017, 10:00 PM
Find your waterfalls?

This is fing funny.
I thought he was looking for his credibility.

boxhitch
04-25-2017, 10:04 AM
Bing? only the second largest search engine, but nobody says 'just Bing it'

I thought he was looking for his credibility.Mixed up your webpages?

jconn
04-25-2017, 11:10 AM
just google bing maps...enjoy

Or you could do a Bing search for Bing Maps