PDA

View Full Version : Salting the bear hide.

Joshua13
04-23-2017, 08:26 AM
Any tips? I know it's kinda last minute as I'm driving up to my hunt. Lol.

Rackmastr
04-23-2017, 08:35 AM
Keep it cold and get it home if you aren't comfortable with it, but here is a quick run-down.

After skinning, remove the head. Leave enough lip/nose/ear canal/eye lid attached to the hide to work with.
Remove the paws, ensuring you work each 'finger' down to the last knuckle (where the claw meets the last knuckle)
Flesh the hide free of any meat or fat
Split the lips and nose to the edges. Split the eyelids. Turn the ears completely inside out and remove all meat from the ear canal area

Pack the paws with salt down to each claw. Use a liberal amount of salt and ensure 100% coverage. Let the hide side sit for a day or more and then re-apply more salt. After the salt is not absorbing any more water, let the hide hang and get air to continue drying. Dry until hard

People get into trouble when meat/fat is left as salt wont penetrate meat or fat very far at all. Also if you don't split things properly the salt wont do its job.

Salt is used to ensure moisture is removed and bacteria does not grow (as bacteria loves moisture). Removing all meat/fat and allowing salt to get into every area that may hold moisture will prevent any slippage.

I wish I had pics, but I'm sure you can find some on Youtube, Google, etc. A bear isn't an 'easy' task if you aren't used to doing some fleshing/splitting so the alternative with a big grizz is to ensure its cold (the night you kill it let it cool really good) and then get it back to a taxidermist who can do this properly.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-23-2017, 04:36 PM
What Rackmaster said.
Other than that the best piece of advice is to skin it slowly in the field leaving all the fat and meat on the bear. It will save you time in the long run. Do it once and do it right. I use a Havalon for the entire bear.....minus original directional cuts.

swampthing
04-23-2017, 05:13 PM
Have a great time in there. Post some pics, bear or not!!