PDA

View Full Version : scope -leupold vs zeiss

boatdoc
07-20-2007, 01:01 PM
I asked this question on gunutz. Got alot of opions one way or the other,but no one spoke up that had both.So i bought a leupold vx111 and a zeiss conquest. I am kind of surprised by my results,the only test being what my eyes see. I figure quality ,price ,warranty et all as fairly equal.At all light levels the zeiss is far brighter. The zeiss is crisp and clear.I am surprised how grainy the leupold is.At 300 yards the clarity of the zeiss really stands out. Just for the heck of it i also compared a bausch and lomb 4200 elite,it is far closer to the zeiss for brightness and clarity (this scope is 6 or 7 years old)
than it is to the leupold. Keep in mind i am only comparing what my eyes see.

Brambles
07-20-2007, 01:27 PM
Zeiss is German glass and they are almost unmatched for clarity, I never found the Leupolds to be as clear as they should be but they make up for it in a lot of other areas.

300WM
07-20-2007, 01:51 PM
Zeiss is German glass and they are almost unmatched for clarity, I never found the Leupolds to be as clear as they should be but they make up for it in a lot of other areas.

I have a Zeiss Conquest. When I purchased my scope I compared it to the Leupolds. The Zeiss has much better clarity over the Leupold hands down. They also offer a lifetime transferable warranty.

Brambles, how does Leupold make up for it in a lot of other areas? I feel that Zeiss's reputation (nothing wrong with Leupold's...I know all about it), warranty and superior optics make it a better choice as they are right around the same price point. Please explain.

Elkhound
07-20-2007, 02:00 PM
In optics......Zeiss is king. Even in eyewear.

Hank Hunter
07-20-2007, 02:00 PM
I sold my vx111 3.5x10x40 and got a zeiss 3x9x40. No regrets at all and the zeiss was 250 bucks less. I too find the crisp sharp view much better than the leupold

Fisher-Dude
07-20-2007, 02:02 PM
If your Leupy is grainy, I'm betting that you haven't focussed it for your eyes. My Leupies are quite crisp.

Zeiss has a great reputation for their optics. I would expect them to be crystal clear. I have heard a couple of stories about Zeiss losing their charges, but this was all third hand info.

one-shot-wonder
07-20-2007, 02:19 PM

What about dogwear? Are those Zeiss's on the elkhound in your Avatar?

Let me guess you let the pooch sleep on your bed too? :mrgreen:

Krico
07-20-2007, 02:20 PM
When I was shopping for my last scope, these are the 2 models I was considering, and came to the same conclusion. Zeiss was MUCH nicer to look through, and after all, that's what a scope is for. I could care less that the VXIII was a couple ounces lighter.

Elkhound
07-20-2007, 02:22 PM
What about dogwear? Are those Zeiss's on the elkhound in your Avatar?

Let me guess you let the pooch sleep on your bed too? :mrgreen:

Serengetis.......I love zeiss but serengeti is the only sunglass for my family:mrgreen:

Hank Hunter
07-20-2007, 02:29 PM
If your Leupy is grainy, I'm betting that you haven't focussed it for your eyes. My Leupies are quite crisp.

Focus is not the issue. I have two other leupolds that are perfectly focused. IMO they are not the same glass, clarity and brightness in the ziess is much better, try them

Elkhound
07-20-2007, 02:31 PM
part of it is Zeiss has had forever to improve their antireflective coatings....in the optics industry all others try to catch them in that area......makes a huge difference on clarity and brightness

Hank Hunter
07-20-2007, 02:37 PM
Elkhound , I know you have a working knowledge of glass that most of us do not understand. I am in no way knocking leupold, owned them for most of my life but I was really surprised when I looked through the zeiss. Whatever they are doing works for me.

Fisher-Dude
07-20-2007, 02:37 PM

Either you are full of crap Dr Elkhound, you drink too much, or you wear Trashco eyeglasses. 8)

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k261/Silent_Wolf77/HuntingbcPubMeet07-5.jpg

Elkhound
07-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Damn that pic......:lol:

I am however wearing Zeiss lenses:wink:

Fisher-Dude
07-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Damn that pic......:lol:

I am however wearing Zeiss lenses:wink:

I think you better try focussing them.

Elkhound
07-20-2007, 02:42 PM
you don't like zeiss FD?

BlacktailStalker
07-20-2007, 02:45 PM
Hmmm. Scary. And there are no drinks on the table as an excuse lol

Elkhound
07-20-2007, 02:46 PM
Elkhound , I know you have a working knowledge of glass that most of us do not understand. I am in no way knocking leupold, owned them for most of my life but I was really surprised when I looked through the zeiss. Whatever they are doing works for me.

Nothing wrong with Leupys either.....great scopes.

Fisher-Dude
07-20-2007, 02:51 PM
you don't like zeiss FD?

Yep, I love Zeiss - you know me, Euro-guns and Euro-optics. I do think that Leupold is pretty good stuff for the dollar though. VX-IIIs are $230 cheaper at WS than Conquests in 3.5 - 10s.

The next scope I buy for my 300 will likely be a Euro-scope, if I have a grand burning a hole in my pocket. :mrgreen:

hunter1947
07-20-2007, 03:09 PM
I have had that same leupold for 37 years and the clearness is as good as it gets ,maybe there is a problem with yours fore clearness ,look at others to compare scopes.

horshur
07-20-2007, 03:14 PM
A drop on a scree slope will separate the the men from the boy's. Crisp and clear are nice to look through but toughness is pretty important too.
A real anal careful (germanic) type probably never have a problem but if you are reckless and tough on your gear best choose the Leupold. JMOYMMV

300WM
07-20-2007, 03:23 PM
A drop on a scree slope will separate the the men from the boy's. Crisp and clear are nice to look through but toughness is pretty important too.
A real anal careful (germanic) type probably never have a problem but if you are reckless and tough on your gear best choose the Leupold. JMOYMMV

The wire reticle in the Leupold would be more susceptible to going out of whack upon impact than that of the etched glass reticle on the Zeiss.

Zeiss is better bang for buck period.

horshur
07-20-2007, 03:28 PM
The wire reticle in the Leupold would be more susceptible to going out of whack upon impact than that of the etched glass reticle on the Zeiss.

Zeiss is better bang for buck period.

Have you ever seen a beat up zeiss??? seen legion of beat up working great leupolds--never seen a beat up zeiss--theory--reality may be two different things--show me a beat up zeiss.

300WM
07-20-2007, 03:40 PM
Have you ever seen a beat up zeiss??? seen legion of beat up working great leupolds--never seen a beat up zeiss--theory--reality may be two different things--show me a beat up zeiss.

You were the one making the statement that the Leupold is a more durable scope if you are hard on your equipment. I'll let you try to prove that one, not me.

Where are your facts other than saying you'ver seen many beat up Leupolds still working fine? Maybe you've never seen a beat up Zeiss becuase the people in "your" circle are all Leupold fans and don't own a Zeiss.

I agree that Leupolds are a good scope and I have owned a few. However, I do have a hard time believing that Leupolds outperform the Zeiss in "toughness" unless you have some hard facts that prove otherwise. Please elaborate....

Kechika
07-20-2007, 04:03 PM
I cant compare the two,but I can compare a 59.95 Tasco pronghorn and a 1700 Ziess DiaVari.In this case I would have to say the Ziess is clearer:wink:

Gateholio
07-20-2007, 04:19 PM
Scopes arent' for looking through, they are aiming devices. Far more important than "great optics" on a scope is durability and proper tracking. Weight and how it affects your rifles ergonomics is also a factor.

Leupold has a reputation for durability, not sure if the Ziess has the same reputation or not. European optics generally are more costly, so you have to decide if the extra cost makes the Euro scopes more durable. Make my binos and spotting scope Euro, Leupold goes on my rifles.

Kechika
07-20-2007, 04:36 PM
When will ya guys just admit..the more its worth the better it is.LOL

Walksalot
07-20-2007, 04:49 PM
I have a compact VX II 2X7 Leupold. I was cleaning my rifle and the rod broke causing the rifle to fall on the scope. It was messed. On a lark I sent it for repair and they repaired it on warranty.
While there is no question that Zeiss and Leupold are top shelf I know guys who hunt with Bushnell Banner fixed 4X and the game they get is table fare indeed.

Spitzer
07-20-2007, 05:17 PM
Great optics for me is important in a scope, at least match my binos, for "threading the needle" shots.

Nothing worse than when you can spot a nice buck with the binos but can't find it with the scope. Can't hit what you can't see.

boatdoc
07-20-2007, 06:17 PM
I knew there would be a few shots across the bow from the leupold fans. All scopes were carefully focused. I am usually hard on equipment so i will report on durabillity of the zeiss later. My bausch and lomb has had its fair share of bumps and bruises,keeps working fine.

07-20-2007, 07:29 PM
I own both and find the zeiss worth every penny extra l paid for it, both in quality and clarity. People readily admit that when it comes to bino's, and spotters we get what we pay for, yet the same doesn't seem to apply to rifle scopes:confused:. While the leupolds are great scopes and more then suffice for a lifetime of use, they aren't in the same class as European glass.

Gateholio
07-20-2007, 07:55 PM
I own both and find the zeiss worth every penny extra l paid for it, both in quality and clarity. People readily admit that when it comes to bino's, and spotters we get what we pay for, yet the same doesn't seem to apply to rifle scopes:confused:. .

Not at all. I am saying that good optics on a hunting rifle take a back seat to durability and repeatability. The scope is an aiming device first and foremost.

You dont' look through rifles scopes for hours at a time, unlike binos and spotters.

Leupolds offer excellent durability, excellent service and very good optics for an affordable price. If the Euro scopes offer no more durability, and thier service is lesser, why pay a premium for the better optics, since they aren't going to help you hit a deer any better, except perhaps at night, a time that many Europeans hunt, but few North Americans do.

CanuckShooter
07-21-2007, 06:37 AM
One of the fellas I hunt with had a pair of zeiss binoculars....the second year [2005] he had them they were all fogged up during our elk hunt....

As he said the zeiss are not the quality they were years before, and he went out and bought a pair of leupold gold rings.....

If we don't learn from the mistakes of others....we deserve what we get.

bigwhiteys
07-21-2007, 07:26 AM
One of the fellas I hunt with had a pair of zeiss binoculars....the second year [2005] he had them they were all fogged up during our elk hunt....

They fog up because the gas inside gets discharged... maybe he dropped them and broke a seal or knocked something loose... At any rate it's something that IS covered by Zeiss warranty.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Spitzer
07-21-2007, 07:29 AM

As he said the zeiss are not the quality they were years before, and he went out and bought a pair of leupold gold rings.....

If we don't learn from the mistakes of others....we deserve what we get.

Which model was it? BTW the Goldrings weigh 33.8oz, which is about the same as a bar of gold, lol.

CanuckShooter
07-21-2007, 07:52 AM
I don't think those goldrings are that heavy as they are a compact model 8x32 I think....there is no way they are over two pounds.

Quality is not only what you percieve it to be, it is also measured by performance of the products we buy. When your dealing with optics there isn't much room for failures, fail me once and I'll can you!! No second chances..ever.

horshur
07-21-2007, 09:03 AM
Leave the Zeiss in the safe on the queen where it belongs you might drop it. LOL:wink:

Akula
07-21-2007, 11:15 PM
With Zeiss you are talking about a scope designed by people in a country who almost took over the world on their own. That pretty much says it all for me.:-D

Gateholio
07-22-2007, 12:27 AM
With Zeiss you are talking about a scope designed by people in a country who almost took over the world on their own. That pretty much says it all for me.:-D

It says that you like scopes designed by the losing side?:-D

wsm
07-22-2007, 12:40 AM
It says that you like scopes designed by the losing side?:-D
thank god they lost but the germans do build some of the best stuff in the world

horshur
07-22-2007, 08:04 AM

Romans did it also--Huns I think-- soooo--you going to hunt with a chariot?? best ones--they took over the whole world you know:mrgreen:

Akula
07-29-2007, 12:32 AM
Without getting to far off the subject, that was "one" country against the world. My point being is that they were incredibly further advanced in alot of ways, hence the Zeiss scopes. I do use the chariot for the road hunting days though.:-D

kutenay
07-29-2007, 03:16 AM
I have owned well over 30 Leupies, have about a dozen at present on various rifles, including both my .375s. I have also owned Zeiss, B&L and many other brands and have half- a dozen operational B&Ls on various rifles plus recently bought two Zeiss Conquests and have a West German Zeiss on my custom .280 Rem. on a "round bolt" Brno 21H.

Since I bought my first Zeiss Conquest and shot with it at Mission last spring, I am systematically replacing ALL my scopes on my .338s and other serious using rifles with these, they are the finest scopes, for the $$$$, that I have ever used. I regularly shoot with S&B, Swaro, Zeiss and Kahles Euro scopes as my buddy hasd many of these, however, the clarity, weight, eye relief and precise tracking of Conquests is far superior to any Leupold I have owned, including the LPS that I had on my Dakota 76-.338 for a few years.

I have been a longtime Leupy fan, bought my first circa '68 and still use their fixed powers a lot, but, the new VX-III on my Dakota is mediocre and the almost new Vari-X-III on my P-64-.375 is worse. I love Leupy, always will and have their products that have been used hard for over 30 years, nearly 40 in one case, BUT, the quality seems to be slipping and Conquests are better scopes.

As to toughness, well, my Zeiss bino, my second one is now 32 years old and while the armouring is worn, it is perfect in colimation and as bright as anything on the market. I used a leather-covered one for several years and sold it to buy this one, it is tougher than any other bino I have used, including my Leica Trinovid. I would trust Zeiss over anything and have since 1968, w/o problems.

porcupine
07-30-2007, 10:50 PM
Just got my new Leupold Vari X-7 last week. It's the first scope made anywhere with lead free glass. It is unbelievably bright and comes with a 30mm tube and 45mm objective lens. It was made by them to compete with the very best (read expensive) european scopes. I think it is nicer than any of the Ziess that I have had the pleasure to look through.
________
teen vids (http://teenvid.org)