PDA

View Full Version : hunting weather...whats your fav

scotty30-06
04-22-2017, 12:49 PM
Hey everyone just curious on some of your preference for hunting weather and for what game your targeting...sunny for bears and passing rain for blacktails are mine....this year want to go for a big Okanagan mulley on a cold blue bird day.

Rob Chipman
04-22-2017, 01:44 PM
Moose in October - love it when its sunny and dry in the day, cold as sh*t at night.

digginsweatinswearin
04-22-2017, 01:53 PM
Anything but rain.

Wild one
04-22-2017, 01:58 PM
Anything but rain.

^^^this unless I am still hunting blactail than bring the rain

goatdancer
04-22-2017, 02:21 PM
After it snows, I've noticed a tremendous improvement in my tracking abilities. Hunting whitetails in the snow is my favorite.

Buck
04-22-2017, 02:56 PM
pretty much like this .http://http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii159/Ramcam-Photos/744549a2-bdb9-4edf-a7ad-9dd1856cb29f.jpg (http://s263.photobucket.com/user/Ramcam-Photos/media/744549a2-bdb9-4edf-a7ad-9dd1856cb29f.jpg.html)

BRrooster
04-22-2017, 04:48 PM
I like hunting any time I can get out . But don't get really serious about taking game until cooler weather. Like to hang and process my game myself. So I guess I would have to say October when it gets frosty in the mornings and during the first snow falls. Bright sunny days are nice for scouting , but I like dull cloudy days just before bad weather comes in. Game is usually active longer in the mornings then and earlier in the evenings.
Mulies in October , Wt and Moose in November. Black Bear in May.

steel_ram
04-22-2017, 05:20 PM
Fog obviously screws everything. Wind, besides not being able to hear anything, makes the game hunker down. Too cold and the snow freeze's into a crunchy alarm. I prefer just above freezing. Any amount of rain or snow falling. Depend to on how you hunt.

TARCHER
04-22-2017, 05:27 PM
24 hrs prior to low pressure. Seems ungulates have built in barometers

Ferenc
04-22-2017, 08:16 PM
Cold overcast days with the temps in the low teens .. no wind..with the white stuff ready to drop.

HarryToolips
04-22-2017, 08:26 PM
I like overcast for the spring bear hunting days, as it's usually too hot to deal with the meat on sunny late spring days..I like heavy intermittent rains for deer hunting, as it forces them to feed I usually find when it ain't pouring..but fog I like sometimes if it's moving fog, as I usually see lots of deer out those days because they must feel more secure?

Ohwildwon
04-22-2017, 08:33 PM
Light fresh snow, back above freezing, a light wind...

LuckyHorseshoe
04-22-2017, 08:39 PM
Still hunting old growth timber in cold as it gets and snowing. Nothing like coming around an old fir and finding a big old muley bedded.

badgreenbird
04-22-2017, 10:17 PM
calm, sunny, frosty morning in mid October; no snow.

perfect weather for a walk in the woods, watching & listening for grouse

snipersights
04-22-2017, 10:22 PM
I like mild rain followed by sunny breaks for bears. They always move when the sun pops up. Also like sun for bears but not to hot. And warm rain for bt's. Hunted cougars and wolves this year in the snow with calls and a rabbit decoy. Trenching through 2' of snow in work boots seeing all the tracks everywhere that was awesome. For me now there really is no off season.

Bugle M In
04-23-2017, 12:40 AM
Frosty, right after a major snow storm, and sweet sunshine!

.264winmag
04-23-2017, 06:41 AM
Before, during, and after a storm...

tadpole
04-23-2017, 08:21 AM
For deer archery season, heavy snow and minimal to no wind, steady rain for second choice, and bright sun last choice.
For moose, frosty cold nights and overcast.

nature girl
04-23-2017, 09:51 AM
Spring day for bear hunting a cloudy day with a little sun and for deer a cloudy day or a little rain for deer hunting I do like a little frost in the morning. I usually do not hunt in the snow. As November I am finished hunting for the season.

ACB
04-23-2017, 10:06 AM
Moose, clear cold at night then over cast in morning with no wind (for calling) same for ELK. Nov. deer, snow on the ground,cold, colder the better. Ducks, hard rain and wind. Geese, over cast with light steady wind. Pheasants in Alberta, light wind (rare day in southern Alta.) frosty mornings with light winds are great for scenting for the dogs. Grouse, warn sunny afternoons.

moosinaround
04-23-2017, 10:19 AM
frosty cold -2 to -5 mornings in early to mid September! The weather stays clear and cool, +3 at the warmest all day! Thats elk weather, and when the bulls usually like to start serenading all night! I love -6 to -10 mornings the last week of September to mid October, the moose respond to cow calls, and the bulls come in with their repetitive grunts, and head tilting trance, eyes possessed! then bring on the -12 to -20 weather of mid to late November, walking under an old growth canopy of Douglas fir, listening for the snap of a branch, the twitch of an ear, the mulies are hot on the tracks of the attentive does, breathe the fresh air deeply, as it burns as it enters your lungs! Moosin

bacon_overlord
04-23-2017, 10:45 AM
Depends on what I'm hunting and where. My favorite is probably august hare, nice warm evening stroll in shorts and a t-shirt, whack a few bunnies and throw them in a cooler backpack on ice, then have a little campfire and sip a beer.

MichelD
04-23-2017, 11:11 AM
After a snowstorm. Animals that have been holed up are hungry and up and about.

tuner
04-23-2017, 01:48 PM
The day before a storm, usually intensified activity.

caddisguy
04-23-2017, 06:00 PM
I like -5 to +5C with no precipitation. A little snow is OK. I can work hard and not build up a sweat, meat spoilage is unlikely, less bugs around (except for ticks in the Spring, they don't care about temps)

My focus is on blacktail hunting. As much as torrential downpours is good for hunting BT's, I would "rather" be dry, but the reality is that November in the valleys on the coast, 70mm of rain at 1 - 5C (hypothermia weather) is pretty common... most other weather is an exception. Even full on Gore-tex, if there is any possible way for water to get in, it will and you will be soaked. Being soaked and still hunting or sitting and waiting is rough. Sometimes dusk can't come soon enough. I have contemplated hunting in full on scuba gear lol