PDA

View Full Version : Government giving Skooks Landing to natives

Gataga
04-20-2017, 09:19 AM
Surprised I haven't seen anything about this on here already, but I guess not to many people are aware of what our government is doing. The only part they are not handing over is the access road, but there will be no place to park. Here is the map showing what is going on

Can't get the link to work, I can email it to someone who is a smarter me

For those that don't know about Skooks Landing, it is the boat launch for access to the Kechika River

okas
04-20-2017, 09:32 AM
WHY not the got the boat ramp at gold river:twisted: when the mill shut down they all have there hand out pushing for more . that access rd will have one or more camped out with hand out and you will be lucky if your truck will run when you get back .. my great grandfather was 100% native and had a boat building company last time i expressed my opinion i got in the corner on this rainbow site

kbellamy
04-20-2017, 10:37 AM
This issue will be discussed at the Fort St. John Town Hall on April 26 at 7 PM, at the FSJ curling rink. Hope to see many people in attendance.

eric
04-20-2017, 11:25 AM
Could someone please post the link, that Gataga is talking about..
I tell ya, my vote is going to be wasted this time around...
Absolutely nobody to vote for.....

HarryToolips
04-20-2017, 12:11 PM
More catering to FN's...makes me sad...

walks with deer
04-20-2017, 12:16 PM
I am going to give the assistant Cheif of fort nelson a call..

I must say the fort nelson band has more educated young people involved its shocking how well rounded they are..

however if its in control from the group further west oh god!

kbellamy
04-20-2017, 03:03 PM
Here is the link to the incremental treaty agreement with the Kaska - it is not the Fort Nelson band.

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/environment/natural-resource-stewardship/consulting-with-first-nations/agreements/kaska_ita_amend_agreement_-_executed_version_-_dec_2016.pdf

Page 20 has the original parcel that was to be transferred - it has now been changed to have a road allowance that will not be transferred. There are still other issues that are ongoing, it is difficult with the election being called.

limit time
04-20-2017, 07:19 PM
Forgive my ignorance. Can someone Please explaine to the layman (me) what this means ?

Caribou_lou
04-20-2017, 07:30 PM
Unfortunately this is how Government is Managing our Wildlife. Give land to the FN's that are access points hunting areas.

I imagine there will be a few spots around Iskut, Dease Lake and north to the Yukon border where government will also give land to the Natives with the upcoming changes to moose in region 6.

boxhitch
04-20-2017, 07:34 PM
Forgive my ignorance. Can someone Please explaine to the layman (me) what this means ?access toll ?

kbellamy
04-20-2017, 07:42 PM
As part of the provincial Liberal governments reconciliation plan, they are creating incremental treaty agreements (ITA's) with First Nations across the province. This includes land transfer to fee simple land. Once the land is transferred, that First Nation will own the land and be able to do as they see fit with it.

If the provincial government had given away the land at Fireside as seen in that map - no one would be able to launch a boat there unless they allowed it. Noone would have been able to access the entire Kechika River watershed by boat unless they let you.

They have modified the map to remove a 30m right of way along the access road that will not be transferred and will remain crown land. Things are currently on hold due to the election.

44inchStone
04-20-2017, 08:19 PM
This is only another nail in our coffin. We will soon be buying liscences and tags from them, access fees? launch Fees? to what end?? How much more can we give them? From what I've seen from past experiences, no regulations of quanities of fish or big game?? Never mind reporting numbers of game they have harvested which seems to never happen. When does this end? Eventually there will be nothing left in the golden coffer!

HarryToolips
04-20-2017, 08:28 PM
^^^i will never buy hunting licences and tags from them while they continue to take most of the pie...the day our government concedes that to the FN's is the day I start poaching...if their going to f&$k it up for us, we all better f#*k it up for them...

Asco
04-20-2017, 08:43 PM
This is getting ridiculous. Why is the transfer of the province's land to "special people" not the biggest story in the news.
Why is the part of the province that makes it a province ( the land itself ) becoming the private property of a group whose purpose is to have the province cease to exist??

I am an exasperated and infuriated. Enough apartheid. It's 2017 I don't like being a victim of systematic racism.

pillpusher
04-20-2017, 08:44 PM
If they are going to allow for the road allowance, then why not include the parking area as well? I am sure this will be happily accepted by those wanting to minimize resident hunting in the area...

Caribou_lou
04-20-2017, 11:07 PM
If they are going to allow for the road allowance, then why not include the parking area as well? I am sure this will be happily accepted by those wanting to minimize resident hunting in the area...

Bingo. See what happens July 27 when residents are wanting to launch.

ChronoShooter
04-23-2017, 11:07 AM
This is getting ridiculous. Why is the transfer of the province's land to "special people" not the biggest story in the news.
Why is the part of the province that makes it a province ( the land itself ) becoming the private property of a group whose purpose is to have the province cease to exist??

I am an exasperated and infuriated. Enough apartheid. It's 2017 I don't like being a victim of systematic racism.

It's because feel-good fools who *think* they don't have a horse in the race keep voting for bike lanes in a city with 11 months of rain a year.

Smiz
04-23-2017, 06:01 PM
you made a comment about region 6 moose Caribou Lou
Not aware what you mean.
Is there changes in region 6

Deadshot
07-13-2017, 03:25 PM
Just wanted to bump this up.
What's the latest?
As far as parking goes, wouldn't the high water mark be considered "the river"?
If so, wouldn't the treatied land begin at high water mark?
Thoughts?

IronNoggin
07-13-2017, 04:06 PM
I too am more than a little interested. My Grizz draw is way the hell and gone up the Kechika, and my two Alberta hunting partners are dragging sleds over to tag along. Typical of many Albertans, they are a little red around the neck. Don't really want to engage in a potentially confrontational experience without prior awareness...

Wondering...
Nog

IronNoggin
07-15-2017, 01:29 PM
Anyone?? http://forum.flybc.ca/style_emoticons/default/Idunno.gif

Fisher-Dude
07-15-2017, 02:39 PM
The latest, however our groups need to be vigilant, what with a weak-spined, pacifist government coming in next week that is scared shitless of natives:

In a statement, the Ministry of Aboriginal Relations and Reconciliation said the council has agreed that the access road and boat launch at Skooks Landing should remain Crown land and accessible to all.

“When stakeholders noted that the proposed incremental treaty agreement parcel at Skooks Landing overlapped the road and boat launch, the Ministry of Aboriginal Relations and Reconciliation and Kaska Dena Council moved to correct that error,” a spokesman said.

“The decision was made to keep the road and boat launch under Crown ownership, and maintain public access.”

The ministry, along with the ministry of forests, lands, and natural resource operations, continue to work with the council and stakeholders and the proposed parcel, the spokesman said.

http://www.alaskahighwaynews.ca/regional-news/land-transfer-talks-worries-rec-group-1.21087115

IronNoggin
07-15-2017, 02:48 PM
Whew! That's a bit of a relief alright.
Could easily see things going sideways with our motley crew being told to eff off or pay up! :shock:

Many Thanks Pat! Appreciated! http://bigshotsbc.ca/images/smilies/Pozitive.gif

Cheers,
Matt

Deadshot
07-15-2017, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the update!

Sitkaspruce
07-23-2017, 01:58 PM
But........

The road and launch are great, but where will everyone park?? Cannot park on the river as we know what the river can do when it rains and so far we have had a wet summer. The road is only so wide and there will be limited spots for truck and trailers. Park on the hwy? The Gov will love that!!

Rumour is that there is some wheeling's and dealings go on to provide some parking spots for vehicles, I hope that it is announced soon!!

Cheers

SS

Surrey Boy
07-23-2017, 02:10 PM
This proves that crooked Indian Chiefs can be cowed. Full offensive against them, and we'll regain our freedom! Never hesitate to bring them low.

kbellamy
07-24-2017, 11:41 PM
So far it is status quo on launching boats at Skooks Landing. We haven't been able to move forward on this since the election was called, and now that we have new Ministers in place I'm not sure what direction things will go with First Nations negotiations. MARR met with the Kaska in June to discuss our concerns, but we have not heard anything back yet. In the Peace country we have an MLA Stakeholder Committee that was created over a year ago to try and resolve issues with these land transfers - we are meeting with our new MLA next week to kick things off again. I'd strongly suggest that all other regions should have one of these committees in place and work with your MLA's, as there is land being negotiated across the province, and most of it will block access to recreational areas without stakeholder intervention.

Also - there is currently no parking lot up there, people park along the side of the access road. This is an issue due to the amount of people up there, especially during the elk season where there is over 70 boats on the river. We are pushing to get an area where we can build a parking lot to accommodate everyone.