PDA

View Full Version : Garbage...

Stillhunt
04-18-2017, 10:46 PM
Does reporting A-holes in the bush actually result in something being done? I took a hike through Watching Creek recently and was disgusted by the garbage. Also the amount of shotgun shells and clays on the sides of the roads is ridiculous. Just pick your garbage up-don't give the anti's any more fuel. T.V. stand, pony keg target left in the bush should = PAL revoked. My 2 cents...
Repeat post monthly...bang head against wall. Endless battle.
Off my chest - done.

decker9
04-19-2017, 08:06 AM
It's hard to report if there is no evidence, receipts with names, mail, pictures and such. It sucks, there seems to be garbage everywhere anymore, but it's up to people like us to look after it, even tho it's a pain in our arses, we have to do our part and pick up where we can. That add's good fuel to our fire imo.

Amphibious
04-19-2017, 08:55 AM
I report every site I find, but yes, it does seem futile at times.

My only home is I stumble upon a dumper in the act, and get to add their flaming truck to the garbage pile.

Littering is one of the most ignorant of crimes.

Norwestalta
04-19-2017, 09:02 AM
It is very disappointing to see the garbage that gets left in the bush. When I used to go up into the hills behind sooke it was disturbing to see the garbage people threw out.

Bugle M In
04-19-2017, 10:40 AM
Old tires, busted trailers...old grow equipment and plastics plant pots.....
Yup, it's amazing what you find out there....
I wonder even after it is reported if anyone does anything to clean it up....let alone find the peoples responsible??

Fisher-Dude
04-19-2017, 10:46 AM
http://okanaganforesttaskforce.com/

It would be great if we could get similar groups established across the province.

These guys deserve a standing ovation for the work they are doing in the Okanagan.

HarryToolips
04-19-2017, 12:29 PM
If you can catch them in the act, and get their plate number, definitely phone RAPP....

albravo2
04-19-2017, 01:02 PM
You can't often teach other people's kids how to act when nobody is watching but you can teach your own kids.

We clean up after ourselves and often pick up other people's trash. I trust my children will do the same as they begin spending time in the bush on their own and with their friends.

snipersights
04-19-2017, 01:15 PM
Put a game camera up in a tree pointing to where people shoot. Set to video mode. Record faces plates and acts. Show video to cops they'll call them and make them pick up I'd think? Plus maybe a fine but don't quote me on it

Farmer
04-20-2017, 03:53 PM
Hunters get blamed for all the mess in the bush but a lot of the garbage is from people too lazy or cheap to take it to the dump.

Stillhunt
04-20-2017, 10:52 PM
I guess it could be a good thing as these areas will get closed to vehicles. I don't mind hiking in. I've done tents, lean-to's, snow caves...planning a camp this fall with a buddy. No vehicle access where we are going and everything will be packed back out!

caddisguy
04-21-2017, 07:49 AM
We came across a trailer last year that looked like the start of a new hobo camp. It was there late season so we went and checked on it this year. I don't know what happened to it, but it looks like it was crushed. Its not shot up or smashed, but just kind of flattened. Maybe by snow? Now it will be expensive to get out of there... probably another spur to get gated and one less place for us to set up camp. I suspect the future of camping will be provincial park reservations or leaving the vehicle on a main road and hiking in.

dd3boss
04-27-2017, 06:54 PM
I joined the OFTF (Okanagan Forest Task Force) last year but missed the clean ups that they had planned last year. This year I got in on the clean up that they did that was actually started by the regional district (RDCO) close to my home (West Kelowna) where I do hike a lot. It was a great turnout with over 60 people in attendance. We had 2 huge bins full. One was full 2,480 lbs of metal and the other one was over 8,000 lbs of garbage. This was a bad area but not even close to some of the other areas that they have cleaned up like Postill Road area and Gillard FSR. It is disgusting the amount of trash out there. I went back to the area we cleaned up 2 weeks later and there was already a couple of bags of garbage there again. My wife and I picked it up and found some information identifying one of the people that were there. I reported it to RAPP and the CO got back to me and said he would follow up on it. But he also said that without video evidence or pictures or proof such as a license plate to prove that the people were there and not just someone dumping someone else's trash that it would be hard to convict anyone.
The next official OFTF cleanup is scheduled for June 3 up Postill road again if anyone else in the Kelowna area would like to help out. Check out OFTF on Facebook or the http://okanaganforesttaskforce.com/ link like Fisher-Dude posted.

Hunterguy
04-28-2017, 06:20 PM
A couple years back discovered a camp left with a great amount of garbage. CO came through are camp and I mentioned it. He said lets go for a ride. He went through the garbage and founds some clues, this was in region 5. He made a couple of calls contacted the HUNTERS, from the mainland and said if your not up here in two days to clean it up there will be steep fines. Next time I went by spotless.

HappyJack
04-28-2017, 07:27 PM
A couple years back discovered a camp left with a great amount of garbage. CO came through are camp and I mentioned it. He said lets go for a ride. He went through the garbage and founds some clues, this was in region 5. He made a couple of calls contacted the HUNTERS, from the mainland and said if your not up here in two days to clean it up there will be steep fines. Next time I went by spotless.

That is good to hear about. It's good you took the time to do something.

boxhitch
04-29-2017, 05:22 AM
If you can catch them in the act, and get their plate number, definitely phone RAPP....and use the BCWF Conservation app, a great reporting toolhttp://bcwf.net/images/ConsApp.pngbcwf.net/index.php/bcwf-app