PDA

View Full Version : Germansen landing and MU 7-38 help

Joshua13
04-18-2017, 08:56 PM
hey i am heading up this weekend for grizz and my RV decided it didn't want to go, so now I'm in a slight panic about where i can stay and things like that. I've never been up there so any help is appreciated. here's what i am wondering:

is there a cabin or something to rent closer then either St James/Mackenzie?
could it be possible to rent a small trailer from anywhere close?
I don't have a diesel so where would be the closest place to get gas? can i get it from Germansen Landing?
also what is a realistic drive time from St James to Germansen Landing?

thanks for any help you can give.

Rackmastr
04-18-2017, 09:02 PM
Take a good tent, I wouldn't pull a camping trailer up those roads personally. You don't want to be commuting either. May find some cabin rentals around Germanson or Manson but would take some calling around to find contacts.

I've purchased fuel in Germanson and Manson so give them a call to confirm their hours and days etc.

Good luck man, a super fun hunt to do but does require some planning for sure to be outfitted properly and prepared.

Rackmastr
04-18-2017, 09:04 PM
Not sure how it's been up there this year but you may find you are early still at this weekend. If you are planning a few trips though it's a good excuse to get out and poke around a bit and learn some of the country.

If you aren't planning multiple trips then I'd consider pushing back into May for sure.

Joshua13
04-18-2017, 09:12 PM
do you have a number to call them? because that's what i cannot find.

hmm i was looking at weather and it said its pretty warm. the plan was this next two weeks so last of apirl and first of may. hopefully it pans out.

a tent ? while hunting grizz? hmmm not sure how i feel about that.

Salix
04-18-2017, 09:13 PM
You should be able to get gas at Manson creek, not sure about gas availability at the Germansen store. There may be cabins available in Manson and or Germansen landing but I don't know how you would find out contact information.
The north road from Ft St James was really rough last I heard, but the Finley out of Mackenzie is probably not much better. Expect 2.5 - 3 hours drive out of the Fort or Mackenzie to Germansen landing. There is still snow in many areas and most side roads could be a challenge to drive. There was about 2 feet a week ago in the valley bottom along the main roads.

monasheemountainman
04-18-2017, 09:19 PM

hmm i was looking at weather and it said its pretty warm. the plan was this next two weeks so last of apirl and first of may. hopefully it pans out.

hahaha just tell the mean grizzlies that you are hunting b bears!! Seriously though you don't tent camp in grizz country?

Rackmastr
04-18-2017, 09:25 PM

Not sure what to tell you about your fear of tenting I guess, just have to make those decisions and then ya I'd see how you are panicking and trying to plan last minute. Id imagine if you've never tented in grizz country before then this hunt is going to be a big eye opener in other terms as well due to its remote wilderness. Will be a great adventure I'd bet!

Make sure if you decide to rent a trailer you get good insurance on it. It's a rough area to haul a trailer. Bring two spare tires for sure.

I'd Google Manson Creek store and then they should also have the number for Germanson landing.

I'd personally say you are early, and early by quite a bit. Really depends if you want to hunt certain areas or not though. I know one year it was May 15th and we were still busting through snow on roads.

04-18-2017, 09:33 PM
Take a few spare tires, tough long road. Extra fuel, oil. Tent is a good suggestion as trailers get banged about.

Id actually contact local RCMP and the FN Band in the area. Been a long time but had some bad experiences up there in 7-38. 7-39. Many years ago with FN ........ Haven't gone back. Just saying, they are not always friendly I might say. Cops even say, well it's your word against theirs .......

good luck to you though, I know many others that have hunted there with no issues.

Joshua13
04-18-2017, 09:34 PM
well i guess tenting wouldn't be completely off the table i mean it sucks cause its cold and then i need some sort of table and stuff as well(box of truck i guess) i just haven't tent camped in a long time I'm used to being cozy hehehe. id much rather be in even a tiny cabin.

I am am hoping that there is some snow on the ground but not too much. thought it would be easier to track before all the snow left. (for the record not only is this my first time up that far north it is also my first time hunting grizz.)

Joshua13
04-18-2017, 09:36 PM
curly top we actually had to phone and register with the FN, said so in the regs... my buddy phoned said they seemed just fine.

Rackmastr
04-18-2017, 09:48 PM
well i guess tenting wouldn't be completely off the table i mean it sucks cause its cold and then i need some sort of table and stuff as well(box of truck i guess) i just haven't tent camped in a long time I'm used to being cozy hehehe. id much rather be in even a tiny cabin.

I am am hoping that there is some snow on the ground but not too much. thought it would be easier to track before all the snow left. (for the record not only is this my first time up that far north it is also my first time hunting grizz.)

That's awesome, you'll have a heck of an adventure guaranteed. You'll have snow for sure, bring some snowshoes and hike into valleys that have drifts across them. Some of the best grizz country I've seen in the area is up in elevation and will be snowed in for a while, but big old bears will be up and moving for sure.

I hope you can get into the country you want or it could be frustrating. If I was planning a trip there,. May 8-10th would be as early as I'd go as you can have great hunting right up till into June in that zone.

REMINGTON JIM
04-18-2017, 09:50 PM
I think your WAY to early for that Area but maybe give it a try - Good LUCK Hope you Blast a G Bear ! :wink: RJ

Rhyno
04-18-2017, 09:56 PM

I would listen to Rackmastr advice and suggestions. Has always served me well!

As for your camp, so you know anyone with a wall tent?

Joshua13
04-18-2017, 10:01 PM
yea i realize i am slightly early but the guy i am hunting with is busy through mid may and another guy at my work booked time off after may long so this was kind of the only real time it would work. I may be able to get a few days off right at end of season but its doubtful.

Rackmastr
04-18-2017, 10:10 PM
yea i realize i am slightly early but the guy i am hunting with is busy through mid may and another guy at my work booked time off after may long so this was kind of the only real time it would work. I may be able to get a few days off right at end of season but its doubtful.

Then give it hell! Good on you for going and making a trip happen even if timing isnt perfect. If it's all you can make work, then give it hell and good luck man!

Too many guys get these draws and they are just a bit too overwhelmed to even make the trek or try. Then they complain about how hard it is to draw a grizz tag.

You'll have an adventure, report back when you get home and hopefully you have a good time.

Joshua13
04-19-2017, 07:33 AM
Oh yes we are definitely heading up. There is very little that stop me from adventure.and I'll be sure to keep you guys in the loop. It will most likely be a thread on: ok I got the hide now who do I bring it too?? I'm hoping at least!

northernbc
04-19-2017, 07:41 AM
Ru bringing enough supplies to look after your hide ,don't want it to spoil. Good luck. As said before it may be a bit early for the perfect timing but there will be some bears out. And you will definitely get nothing if you don't go..

Rackmastr
04-19-2017, 07:48 AM
Oh yes we are definitely heading up. There is very little that stop me from adventure.and I'll be sure to keep you guys in the loop. It will most likely be a thread on: ok I got the hide now who do I bring it too?? I'm hoping at least!

Watch a few videos online of how to split and salt a bear hide, unless you plan on skinning it and then getting it nice and cold (lay it out overnight and hope it frosts up) and then drive straight home and get it to a freezer, etc. Spending the time to remove head/paws and then split everything and salt can be valuable, especially if you have another tag or cant get out immediately. At least having the knowledge will help make you more confident if you have to do it. If you cant, keep it cold and make sure all the heat gets out of it (dont roll it up warm) and get it home quickly.

skruse
04-19-2017, 01:51 PM
I have property in Manson Creek, last week there was still a lot of snow so dont plan on venturing to far off the main road unless you bring snow shoes, the Finlay FSR, and Manson road are in terrible terrible shape right now, I would reccomend a SPOT or Inreach, spare tires and take your time going in. Germanson landing is closed for the most part now, I dont even remember the last time I seen someone there, there is a new general store in Manson and you can buy gas there.

Piperdown
04-19-2017, 02:30 PM
WHAT you are going to shoot a cuddly grizzly bear, shame on you :cry:

Joshua13
04-19-2017, 04:11 PM
I have no idea on how to salt the hide. I was under the impression just keeping it cold till I get back down would be enough....Help?

Rackmastr
04-19-2017, 04:12 PM
I have no idea on how to salt the hide. I was under the impression just keeping it cold till I get back down would be enough....Help?

Yes, keep it cold and get it home and you'll be fine.

digginsweatinswearin
04-19-2017, 04:26 PM
A guy named Ron Repko rents his cabin on his property and he is just 12k past Germansen, great guy. He and his wife Ruth have been there since the 70's, do yourself a favor and have a few beers with the man, stories for day's and funny as hell. We stayed with them for a moose hunt a few years ago, had a great time.

swampthing
04-19-2017, 06:14 PM
You are goin in early but great on you for getting out! When the guys say the roads are bad, that just means you cant take your wifes car. A bad FSR is still 2 wheel drive in a truck, assuming you have a ford! I would bring a tent camp to be safe and see about a cabin when you are there. I think a tent camp makes it more of an "adventure". I have never been in that area but it sounds fun.

skruse
04-19-2017, 07:13 PM
I usually am to Mackenzie from Manson Creek in less than 2 hours around 100 the whole way but on my way out there was a logging truck that looked like he put a hole in his rad, likely from beating down the road, a fresh driveshaft in the ditch, and another guy who had ripped a brake line off, it was rough lol.

Joshua13
04-19-2017, 09:16 PM
We booked one of the cabins at Manson Creek. I think for the first time going up there and not too sure what to expect it's the better plan. I'm impressed that lots of guy on this forum have been up there. Google maps says it's 4 hrs north of. Mackenzie so it seemed middle of nowhere to me. I am much more reassured after hearing from you guys. Thanks a bunch. I'm getting pretty excited.

turbolar
04-20-2017, 06:43 AM
I just tie a pork chop around my hunting partners neck and the bears never bother me. :grin:

nicktrehearne
04-20-2017, 07:40 AM
Good luck Joshua13 - be sure to post how it went when you get back!

Joshua13
04-25-2017, 06:39 AM
Here is a thread on another forum with updates for those interested
http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?t=39046

Joshua13
04-25-2017, 09:48 PM
Well I think we are too early. Because I have not seen any sign and we have covered alot of ground. Today we went around to a different area in the MU that was more Central and that looked like much better country, we also had more access to the bush, but still no sign. Tons of moose poop and tracks. On the way back to camp we did see a mama black bear with three cubs and 6 moose in total but not what I'm looking for. Snow is only in the high ground and a bit in the shade but still very little green on the hills. My guess is right after we leave. It will be perfect. I have the next week off if I want it but the guy I'm with has to work....

Joshua13
04-26-2017, 10:17 PM
So here's the deal first day we got up here and the lady managing the store told us tons of bear activity doe. By germansen lake and specifically past the lake by 20 mile Creek. We went there and found not a thing. We were then told by another miner fella that the park was our best bet. Maybe by germansen landing. So we had a look around there. Not really any way to get up into the park by germansen landing as it is all houses (yes houses in the park) so we paid a visit to Ron repko as was advice of someone here. He was a really good guy. Said mostly we were a bit too early but we might find something by one of the fields down near the river, but still in germansen landing. He also said that the best way to do it is to use a boat and go down the river where you can't drive and come out about halfway up the park where omincea river meets oslinka river. The fields looked like they would be good and we found a great spot overlooking a big area. (I'll post a picture) but still nothing.
Next day we went up to where the two Rivers meet and it was a much better looking area and had tons of access to higher ground. But still nothing.
Today we got gas at the store and was talking to the young lady pumping. She's lived here her whole life and you what she said? Never seen a grizz bear. In fact the only time she has heard of someone seeing one was last year and it was a big deal for everyone in Manson Creek. Hmmm
So today we just boots around in the morning looking close to Manson Creek as we decided to go visit Nevel who runs the store/post office in germansen Creek. It is only open a few hours on wed. The whole conversation with her, which was again very interesting, found out a few things grizzlys do show up by the river once in a while, all the people of germansen Creek banded together to create the park in 2001. A few years before that there was a grizzly population study an apparently there are tons in this area.
Between Manson Creek and the landing there is alot of active logging and usually that is not good hunting but we decided we would try in there. As we don't have much other ground to cover. We finally saw a bear track! It was black bear and it was only a few tracks but at least it was something. So at the end of four days we have decided to call the game and head home. So basically it seems like no grizzly really here so I do not understand why the government gave us this MU as a substitute draw. I feel like they just wanted our money.

The second issue is the massive amount of logging here, now maybe I have just always been naive but the amount of clear cut up here is huge. Now my father worked in the lumber industry and we have tons of logging around where I live but up here it is completely over the top. It's like strip mining. So much forest has been removed it's no wonder there is no animals here. Back in the south there are clear cuts in every stage: fresh cut, left one year, new trees and on and on and it is mostly all staggered and down there they clean up the cuts and slash burn. Up here it just seems like they shaves off all the mountains took the good stuff and left it a mess piles of lumber that looked good (not just skinny lumber but large timbers) left and turned grey. And nothing cleaned up just anything g they didn't need left where it fell.

Now maybe there's something I don't know but for a guy who has always supported the forestry industry I was shocked at what it really looked like and for someone who thought they were getting a grizzly I'm disappointed.

Joshua13
04-26-2017, 10:26 PM
I should mention that the place I stayed was awesome and most of the landscape was incredible and even though we didn't find any grizz I still really enjoyed myself

primmed99
04-26-2017, 10:33 PM
So here's the deal first day we got up here and the lady managing the store told us tons of bear activity doe. By germansen lake and specifically past the lake by 20 mile Creek. We went there and found not a thing. We were then told by another miner fella that the park was our best bet. Maybe by germansen landing. So we had a look around there. Not really any way to get up into the park by germansen landing as it is all houses (yes houses in the park) so we paid a visit to Ron repko as was advice of someone here. He was a really good guy. Said mostly we were a bit too early but we might find something by one of the fields down near the river, but still in germansen landing. He also said that the best way to do it is to use a boat and go down the river where you can't drive and come out about halfway up the park where omincea river meets oslinka river. The fields looked like they would be good and we found a great spot overlooking a big area. (I'll post a picture) but still nothing.
Next day we went up to where the two Rivers meet and it was a much better looking area and had tons of access to higher ground. But still nothing.
Today we got gas at the store and was talking to the young lady pumping. She's lived here her whole life and you what she said? Never seen a grizz bear. In fact the only time she has heard of someone seeing one was last year and it was a big deal for everyone in Manson Creek. Hmmm
So today we just boots around in the morning looking close to Manson Creek as we decided to go visit Nevel who runs the store/post office in germansen Creek. It is only open a few hours on wed. The whole conversation with her, which was again very interesting, found out a few things grizzlys do show up by the river once in a while, all the people of germansen Creek banded together to create the park in 2001. A few years before that there was a grizzly population study an apparently there are tons in this area.
Between Manson Creek and the landing there is alot of active logging and usually that is not good hunting but we decided we would try in there. As we don't have much other ground to cover. We finally saw a bear track! It was black bear and it was only a few tracks but at least it was something. So at the end of four days we have decided to call the game and head home. So basically it seems like no grizzly really here so I do not understand why the government gave us this MU as a substitute draw. I feel like they just wanted our money.

The second issue is the massive amount of logging here, now maybe I have just always been naive but the amount of clear cut up here is huge. Now my father worked in the lumber industry and we have tons of logging around where I live but up here it is completely over the top. It's like strip mining. So much forest has been removed it's no wonder there is no animals here. Back in the south there are clear cuts in every stage: fresh cut, left one year, new trees and on and on and it is mostly all staggered and down there they clean up the cuts and slash burn. Up here it just seems like they shaves off all the mountains took the good stuff and left it a mess piles of lumber that looked good (not just skinny lumber but large timbers) left and turned grey. And nothing cleaned up just anything g they didn't need left where it fell.

Now maybe there's something I don't know but for a guy who has always supported the forestry industry I was shocked at what it really looked like and for someone who thought they were getting a grizzly I'm disappointed.

No offence but 4 days on a grizzly hunt this time of year is def not a great kick at the can, You can't expect to go into a area you don't have dialed in, for a few days and expect to be successful........not trying to be harsh but its just reality, thats why its called hunting

Joshua13
04-26-2017, 10:35 PM
I should mention that the place I stayed was awesome and most of the landscape was incredible and even though we didn't find any grizz I still really enjoyed myself.

Also is there any other animal that has a track that cod be confused with a horse track? Because we saw a number of those.

swampthing
04-27-2017, 06:53 PM
7-38 is a huge unit that does hold many bears. Unlike people they don't really live near town but rather up in the mountains! How were snow levels in there? Are you going to be able to make another trip?

swampthing
04-27-2017, 07:05 PM
A few years back I ran into a guide with a client in the eastern side of 7-38 near Williston lake. They hadn't seen a grizz in 7 days of hunting. The guide had a cabin at Germanson they were hunting out of. About a month later I ran into that guide at Nechako Outdoors. He said they shot a decent bear at the turnoff into his cabin while returning after the last day of the hunt!

Fred1
04-27-2017, 07:16 PM
I should mention that the place I stayed was awesome and most of the landscape was incredible and even though we didn't find any grizz I still really enjoyed myself.

Also is there any other animal that has a track that cod be confused with a horse track? Because we saw a number of those.

I was up there about 10 years ago. There were horses moving around the area. I was told they were an outfitters horses. There were tracks all over that landscape. Could be you were seeing horse tracks.

Sitkaspruce
04-27-2017, 08:54 PM
Lived in The Fort for a few years and saw our share of Grizz up that way. 7-38 is a huge area and has lots of bears, but you need to spend more than 4 days looking. They are spread out at that time of year and you need find a few southern facing slopes and really start to pick them apart. They are there, but patience is needed. It's not like they are running around every where.

As for the locals, they are funny bunch and most are family from draft dodgers and people mwho have or are running/hiding from something. They tend to be friendly, but not much on sharing or telling others of information.

Get back up there and find those bears!

Cheers

SS

Joshua13
04-28-2017, 04:47 AM
I guess I need to clarify. We are too early and that is why we aren't seeing sign. We have seen old sign in a few spots but it's all definitely old. Another week would be better and another 2 would be perfect. We actually stayed up here last night as well. But we're just too early. No point in hanging around up here if we know that we are too early. Problem is we both have work duties. We have been talking and next earliest we could come back up is 1st week in June. So at least now we have a good lay of the land.

Seems to be two groups of people, the ones in Manson Creek are miners/loggers type people, and the ones in germansen landing seem to be draft dodger/environmentalist/ hippy type. All are friendly to us but you can tell they don't seem to interact with each other.

josh_pattersin
05-14-2017, 12:28 PM
we are heading up to this area may 26. My father in law has hunted here many years ago and a few friends have taken grizz and black years ago. There is an area we intend to hunt that we can hike to from Germansen lake camp. Any advice for us going in? We have 4x4s, spare tires, chains, wall tent, lots of food and experience hunting multi week trips in the back country north of ft St. John. I think our timing will be good and we will be glass of south facing slopes. I already got one blackie this year and now I want a grizz and especially a black for my brother from Ontario who I am guiding

canadiancon
05-14-2017, 08:05 PM

The pine beetle is the reason for all the logging around. All the timber is dead, you will see brush piles bigger than the piles going on the trucks, I spend lots of my summer up there as I have lots of customers with Southstar processors that work all year up there, put hundreds of miles on the Manson, and through the park etc. They do clean up and slash burn as well. I can guarantee all the "big timber" left laying is all rotten. Can't do anything with it at the mill so it will all be piled up and burnt. The pine beetle has been devastating, it's long dead so the massive clear cuts are needed. I've seen lots of animals up there, but I have also spent more than 4 days looking around.

Salix
05-14-2017, 08:49 PM
Was up in Germansen last week. Snow is mostly gone now in Manson/ Germansen landing area, bit on the higher slopes. Road through the park was open and more snow on the western side of the park. Lots of black bears out along the roads, grass is just starting to green up. Saw 1 small griz closer to Mackenzie (7-29) on the drive back.
There is lots of logging happening in the Manson/ Germansen area. There has been very little logging in that area for the past 15-20 years and the loggers are in there clearing out the last of the dead beetle killed pine.

REMINGTON JIM
05-14-2017, 08:52 PM
Good report Salix are you going back to try and fill your LEH tag ? RJ

Salix
05-14-2017, 09:15 PM
No LEH tag for me. I'm up there working most weeks these days. I work for the company cutting all the trees down.
I'm not hunting but will help out others when I can.

b.c hunter 88
05-14-2017, 10:02 PM
to early and grizzly are away from people and roads. last week or two of may is prime time or even start of June. i hunted a spring grizzly and being a big black bear hunter i learned grizzly are near opposite. i seen more getting out and going off the beaten path. i went out for 3 weeks solid 4 am till 12 or 1 am at night we had a long drive. i seen 9 bears in that time the one i wanted was 8 or 9 footer but always a step ahead of us. i dont know much on 7 38 but i was in 5 15 i found medeows and slides normally if theirs some kinda food source. if you get out say the 25 ish area id think there would be a better chance. this is a late year probably a week behind.

REMINGTON JIM
05-15-2017, 10:13 AM
No LEH tag for me. I'm up there working most weeks these days. I work for the company cutting all the trees down.
I'm not hunting but will help out others when I can.

Ok Well good on you for Sharing the info ! :smile: RJ

josh_pattersin
05-15-2017, 03:10 PM
Hey Salix, we are headed up in 10 days. Camping on the lake! Any tips or tricks?

elkhunter1
05-16-2017, 05:28 PM
Live Camera - Manson Creek (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjDyvXr0vXTAhUH-mMKHZU7CLUQFggiMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mansoncreek.com%2FLive%2520Ca mera.html&usg=AFQjCNHRjAI9FJcQZN4I5U4JG6kMBm7-Jg)