PDA

View Full Version : Identify thse sounds...

caddisguy
04-16-2017, 05:37 PM
Encountered a couple new and old sounds this weekend and wondering what they are?

1) It sounds the same tone as a grouse drumming, maybe a little deeper. The pace is that of dropping a rubber ball on the table... as the energy decreases, each bounce is lower, hence an increasingly rapid beat. I have heard this before, but thought it was my own pulse. I heard it a lot this weekend and thought I was having a jammer or something until caddisgirl tells me she hears it too. Feels like an artery clogging up in my brain and makes me all dizzy. Is this some kind of grouse auditory attack?

2. This one sounds like your classic Hollywood submarine. Very loud and all through the night. BOOP.... BOOP... BOOP... about 3-5 seconds in between. Very loud, enough to echo. Was thinking some kind of owl or night hawk? Pretty sure a feathered UFO of some kind.

Spy
04-16-2017, 06:36 PM
Sounds like you two had a good weekend ;-)

caddisguy
04-16-2017, 06:47 PM
Sounds like you two had a good weekend ;-)

Lol I was confused by your comment until I re-read my post. I see what you are thinking, but it wasn't a penthouse forum weekend.

I just watched some grouse vids and saw some flapping that looked like it matched the beat of what we were hearing without the bass. Normally we just hear "whoo whoo whoo" all day. Never realized the increasingly fast beat was a grouse... just thought it was a cardiovascular problem. It's like I don't hear it... bypasses my ears and my neck and brain feel it. Now I want to shoot them even more. I think that explains that... now I just gotta figure out what the nighttime submarine was.

If anyone knows what makes a really load sonar sound at night (Region 2) please let us know!!

decker9
04-16-2017, 07:38 PM
Do you have water near by #2? Iv heard cranes make a similar sound to what you explained.

caddisguy
04-16-2017, 07:48 PM
Do you have water near by #2? Iv heard cranes make a similar sound to what you explained.

There is some snow runoff starting to happen but still a good 800M away (still lots of snow back and little melt, so the creek that is normally running early March is still dry by our camp)

This animal appears to be nocturnal, as it went from around 1am-4am.

Guessing some kind of owl? Definitely sounds like Hollywood submarine sonar, amplified enough to echo off the surrounding mountains.

The interval is approx 5 seconds.

snipersights
04-16-2017, 07:56 PM
The first definitely sounds like a sooty grouse. I've heard them a ton in one of my spots and thought they were an owl. I could never figure it out drove me nuts. Then one day I was watching meat eater (Steven Rinella) and his episode about sooty hunting and all the sudden I figured it out. Man did I feel smart

Ride Red
04-16-2017, 08:43 PM
Sounds like a Blue Grouse

Ryo
04-16-2017, 09:09 PM
I love that sound. Especially eery when you're hiking a burn

caddisguy
04-17-2017, 10:25 AM
I have an answer to the sonar sound mystery

It was a Saw whet owl, 100%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2k19nrYBx0

Not only does it sound exactly the same, but we saw one (still have a picture somewhere) less than 1km away a few years back.

Ohwildwon
04-17-2017, 10:55 AM
I had a screech owl go off in the tree right beside my tent last fall!

Damn near had a heart attack...:shock:

scotty30-06
04-17-2017, 11:21 AM
That is a crazy sound....didnt know the owls could sound like sonar....nuts!!!

boxhitch
04-17-2017, 11:40 AM
this site is a hoot

www.allaboutbirds.org/search/?q=sawhet%20owl