RugDoctor
04-13-2017, 08:19 PM
How many guys pack rifle and bow?

RugDoctor
04-13-2017, 08:20 PM
Sorry... I mean at the same time....

RugDoctor
04-13-2017, 08:25 PM
And just to answer myself as well....meat in the freezer, I'll put down the bow. I use the bow for extending my season for the most part. I do enjoy the challenge and all, but I'm primarily a meat hunter. I do mount what I get when it's worth it to me, but I'm out for meat.

butcher
04-13-2017, 08:29 PM
Pack a shotgun when I'm bow hunting in g-bear country.

Wild one
04-13-2017, 08:49 PM
I choose a weapon for a hunt I stick with it don't switch unless it's to shoot small game

HarryToolips
04-13-2017, 08:59 PM
And just to answer myself as well....meat in the freezer, I'll put down the bow. I use the bow for extending my season for the most part. I do enjoy the challenge and all, but I'm primarily a meat hunter. I do mount what I get when it's worth it to me, but I'm out for meat.
I'm exactly the same way in that regard with hunting....

Big Lew
04-13-2017, 09:10 PM
I primarily use my bow for early season deer hunting which I thoroughly enjoy.
After that, as I'm also a meat hunter, I pack my rifle. Although the last couple of
deer I've shot have been with my rifle, most of the others over the last several years
have been by bow during the early season.

Bugle M In
04-13-2017, 09:19 PM
I have been considering a bow to be able to hunt the times when it is an "only bow" situation....
Otherwise, I will carry a rifle.....
I am getting older....I don't need the extra challenge at this point late in the game.

fireguy
04-13-2017, 09:21 PM
I have done it. Late season white tail season is still on when archery mule deer opens up here.

Also so done it just for fun to see if I can stalk close enough with bow while having rifle if I can't in an area I hunt with lots of open areas.

See it it all the time in the late season.

Surrey Boy
04-13-2017, 09:28 PM
I only use my crossbow when it's illegal to hunt with a rifle.

I too hunt only for meat, so fair chase doesn't factor into my choice.

RugDoctor
04-13-2017, 09:30 PM
Bugle.....as an old fella myself, I see it as more opportunity. I extend my season with a bow.. It's only the trophy that changes for me. Othersiwse, it's all meat opportunities..

Caribou_lou
04-13-2017, 09:42 PM
I'll pack one if I'm alone. Bear attacks seem to be all to common these days

allan
04-13-2017, 09:45 PM
Odds are good when carrying both, the rifle will be used more then not. Most guys I talk to seem to give up on the idea to try and get closer to use archery gear when they have a rifle in hand.
However in thick grizz country and your carrying a rifle for extra protection it would be prudent to carry the rifle in hand and have the bow strapped to your pack. I've been there when mr bear comes in so fast that having the rifle strapped to your pack and a bow in hand is pretty much useless or dead weight.
Everybody talks tough about using a gun over bear spray ( and I have to admit it makes you feel safer) but statistically bear spray has a better safety history over guns.

I will sometimes carry a 12 g while in bear country with a can of bear spray in a low carry ( drop leg) holster so I can comfortably carry my pack over and if I ever take my pack off the bear spray is always on my upper thigh.

It's seems that whenever I'm not carrying a firearm is when I need it most, I've been charged by g bears and stalked by two cougers at the same time and never had a gun when I needed it most!