PDA

View Full Version : Game laying down

RugDoctor
04-13-2017, 06:15 PM
Probably more specific to archery, but I suppose applicable question for gun hunting as well....so....you're stalking a deer, or a bear, or whatever you happen to be hunting, and the critter has no idea you're there, and lays down. Now, I get that every situation is different, but what are the opinions on shooting game laying down? Shoot at them laying (probably not for me...seems the target would be difficult), call them with a bleat, or distress to get them up, (maybe not for me since they may simply spook), or wait them out (probably, they'll eventually get up).

Bears are often caught sitting. I might under good circumstances shoot a sitting bear. A laying deer...maybe a good neck shot if it's available....I've had good success with neck shots. And after all that, I've also had good success with head shots, but they aren't always practical, and this is where archery is definately different of course.

Thoughts?

Wild one
04-13-2017, 06:29 PM
Bow I wait for them to stand had bad luck making noise to make them stand

firearm it dies where it lies chest shots are still possible

Big Lew
04-13-2017, 06:30 PM
It all boils down to if the vitals are exposed. I've rifle shot bedded deer, using a neck shot, but only
within close range. I haven't tried shooting a bedded deer with my bow, but only because I didn't
have a clear unobstructed path to it's vitals. Usually a front leg covers a good portion of a heart-lung
shot opportunity, but even if I am able to be at the right angle for a high percentage shot, often there's
brush or grass in the way.

RugDoctor
04-13-2017, 06:36 PM
Agree Big Lew....often laying with debris in the flight path eliminates archery shots. Also agree (for the most part) Wild One....gun..if I can see it, I can kill it (for the most part)

04-13-2017, 06:54 PM
deleted, opps, archery question

northof49
04-13-2017, 07:16 PM
Shot my bighorn laying down at 100yds back towards me and looking other direction. Shot where kneck meets shoulder.....spined. Horns flopped back, never twitched. Planned that stalk for 3hrs and never second guessed the plan when got there. Worked nicely.That said depends on situation and how confident you are in your shot placement. 300WM tho.....not arrow.

RugDoctor
04-13-2017, 07:22 PM
That's a great story northof49. 3 hours...that 3 hours well spent!

jtred
04-13-2017, 07:33 PM
If I had a clear shot at the vitals or was close enough to feel confident in a neck shot I would definitely take the shot with any of my hunting rifles. I'm not a bow hunter so I can't really comment.

northof49
04-13-2017, 08:03 PM
Used to hunt with a bow....but not for some time tho. If under 30yds, undetected and shooting into vitals on angle from slightly behind, I would have taken that shot. Animal is relaxed in that situation and wouldn't be able to jump the string. Depends how much you have practiced and if you are relaxed and confident in your shot placement into vital area. Accurate distance to 2-3yds a must tho and rock steady. Wouldn't do nowadays as I simply haven't been shooting my bow enough.

RugDoctor
04-13-2017, 08:08 PM
Undetected and into vitals are critical elements. And so true that there would be no "string squat". It's always a bit of a guess how low they'll go when you let that release go.

butcher
04-13-2017, 08:09 PM
Killed a couple goats right in their beds. Several deer too. Rifle for all. Passed on two bedded deer while bow hunting.

Deer_Slayer
04-13-2017, 08:11 PM
This is the time to quietly lay down the rifle and bow and reach for your hunting knife and go in for the ninja knife kill

RugDoctor
04-13-2017, 08:12 PM
Butcher.... Not to open any wounds, but given it to do over again....spook them up for a bow shot, or still pass?

Brew
04-13-2017, 08:13 PM
Archery I wouldn't shoot. I've shot deer in the chest while bedded with a rifle a couple times and never had a problem

RugDoctor
04-13-2017, 08:14 PM
Ha! Deer Slayer... 100% with you. Sometimes all I can do when cutting firewood is hack a neck with the chainsaw!

.264winmag
04-13-2017, 08:20 PM
Can only speak for rifle, but nothing more satisfying than laying game over in their bed.
Good hunting buddy is an avid archery hunter, he won't stick game in their bed unless it's a follow up arrow to finish off.

butcher
04-13-2017, 08:23 PM
Butcher.... Not to open any wounds, but given it to do over again....spook them up for a bow shot, or still pass?

Still pass. I actually killed one of the deer when it stood. the other jumped up after a doe and disappeared. Sucked at the time but better than wounding and losing a deer.

RugDoctor
04-13-2017, 08:27 PM
I've tracked for HOURS....so I hear you on losing a wounded animal. Better safe than sorry. Agreed.

Big Lew
04-13-2017, 09:21 PM
For me, it's not a game, nor do I entertain any notion of 'giving a sporting chance'.
I'll shoot any potential game animal I'm after whatever way I'm given a descent and
ethical opportunity to do so...be it laying, standing, crawling, or sleeping. I'm not
confident with taking shots at running game.

RugDoctor
04-13-2017, 09:26 PM
Agreed Big Lew. If I'm confident it will die and quick,....I'll shoot it. Bow, or rifle. Just be confident

allan
04-13-2017, 10:01 PM
My first response would be to wait it out, however I have seen deer laying just the right way that a double lung with archery equipment would have been possible. I hunt with mostly a bow but passed on that chance cause I was after elk and there was no way I was gonna make the extra effort of killing a spiker so far from the road and end my chance at an elk.

northof49
04-14-2017, 09:49 AM
That's a great story northof49. 3 hours...that 3 hours well spent!

Sure was....some of that time was waiting for him to bed while noting the best routes and key terrain features along the route for reference to get on him without spooking.....all worked out.

untilthelastbeat
04-14-2017, 11:10 AM
Have shot quite a few bedded deer. Either in the boiler or high neck and always a bang flop. Also shot a sleeping bear once at 450 yards right in the shoulders. It never moved again. I think with a rifle it's not an issue if you can see what you need to see. Can't comment on bow hunting as iv never taken big game with a bow.