PDA

View Full Version : LEH Bison! Pink Mountain! How I really feel!!! READ first before applying!!

lcgoatboy
04-13-2017, 10:19 AM
So you want to put in for the Pink Mountain Bison hunt, do you? Join a secret extermination project that no one else in the province knows about other than the ones that have been on the hunt or those who live at Pink Mountain???
When we first hunted Pink Mountain in 2013 (early season) we ended up with a Bison cow. There were some other guys that were successful as well, not many though, maybe 6 bison were killed in that season.The natives killed a bunch and only took the back straps (I didn't understand nor agree with this slaughter at the time).
I was lucky enough to go a second time in 2016(early season)! Unfortunately we only spotted 8 bison at the tops of the mountains nothing else.The natives have a shoot every bison you see policy and take any meat you want or just leave it for the predators. I was appalled! As far as I know 1 LEH Bison calf was killed in this season!
This is NOT a managed LEH of Bison! It's an extermination project of an animal that was never native to the area that is ruining habitat for the native animals.
So how do I really feel!
-don't put in for the leh bison (false hope and a money grab)!
-kill the rest of the bison in pink mountain area with any means (the natives are right to do so)!
-these bison should not be there!
Oh and if you didn't get this memo soon enough and did get a tag, be prepared to spend a full 2 weeks and $2000 bucks! As we did! Also the most dangerous roads coming back (I'm a snow driving kootenay boy for 34 years)!
Oh you say ""we can hunt moose elk and deer well we're there for bison"! GOOD luck! When we were there we saw 1 bull moose! We were lazy though, slept in to 4:30 every morning! Hiked only until wasted deep snow 15kms per day. Quadded at least 50kms per day. Glassed everything!
If you have 2000 bucks spare change and 16 days off work and a full freezer of meat,do the hunt. The scenery is awesome! However hunting is less than poor.
However I did have a good time and met some great people.

chris
04-13-2017, 11:27 AM
Wow tell us how you really feel

wmd
04-13-2017, 11:37 AM
Stay home then

whitlers
04-13-2017, 11:45 AM
I was there in Zone A October 2012. Saw two bull moose the first day. No bison until the 3rd day when I harvested mine. Must have seen over 70 bison that day. Never had one problem with the locals or guys at the ranch. They were all great.

If the declining population is true then that is very concerning. I do have to agree that they have been an invasive species especially destroying the elk habitat in the area by trampling any vegitation.

Regardless I hope others have luck on their draws and maybe someone else can shed some light on this subject?

tuner
04-13-2017, 12:03 PM
I don't get your post, are you pissed cause there are no bison left?
Are you pissed that there are Bison there, that shouldn't be there?
Are you pissed or pleased that the natives are "exterminating " the bison?
Are you pissed at the expense of the trip, that you've managed to finance not once,but twice?
Are you pissed at their abundance or lack there of?
I'm totally Phuken confused!!!:shock:

AgSilver
04-13-2017, 12:18 PM
I don't get your post, are you pissed cause there are no bison left?
Are you pissed that there are Bison there, that shouldn't be there?
Are you pissed or pleased that the natives are "exterminating " the bison?
Are you pissed at the expense of the trip, that you've managed to finance not once,but twice?
Are you pissed at their abundance or lack there of?
I'm totally Phuken confused!!!:shock:

Hey look, we agree!

North Star
04-13-2017, 12:36 PM
I'm curious as to how those Bison got there and how "invasive species" is defined in this case.

lcgoatboy
04-13-2017, 12:51 PM
I would like to know how much cash the BC gov is making off this LEH?
-It's false hope for any one who doesn't know how the hunt is handled.
-Way different since 2012! Not as many bison. Natives shoot it up before the season.
- 30 ish bison were trucked to Pink Mountain in the 70s and held in a corral. They broke the corral in the night and have been loose ever since.
-I did like my time up there but if someone thinks that the hunt is a walk in the park and Bison are running around like pre 2013, think again!

303savage
04-13-2017, 12:55 PM
The natives killed a bunch and only took the back straps
Natives, the keeper of the land wouldn't do that. They wouldn't net salmon out of the Fraser River and throw the ones away in a ditch that are to rotten to sell. They wouldn't shoot a bunch of deer and just leave them where they fell just so the whites don't get them...
I think about 98% of natives are great people but it only take one bad apple to spoil the whole barrel.

srthomas75
04-13-2017, 02:08 PM
Is this your attempt at a ploy to get others to not put in for the draw ? Less people equals better chances for you. At $6 a draw I don't think the ministry makes any money off of this.

300rum700
04-13-2017, 02:12 PM
Add it up. Multiply the number of tags by the draw odds, do it for each draw, add them together and multiply it by $5.

We saw 200 in 2 days last year, I think you need to take up fishing.

Steelpulse
04-13-2017, 02:57 PM
This is some sort of troll or something haha

J_06
04-13-2017, 05:32 PM
Worked back in there many, many times. Roads aren't thaaat bad...should try driving a heavy double service rig on them roads after a convoy upon convoys punched them out. Seen lots of bison and moose back in there, you should just park on a lease, we've chased them off quite a few times, they seem to like to lick all the salty produced water runoff. I remember cleaning bison shit off accumulator lines back in the day, throwing dried up ones like frisbees at each other. good times lol

04-13-2017, 05:56 PM
Awesome, so you and your buds won't be applying again....... Love it, maybe I'll be drawn for my 2nd time in 26 years of trying.

Sitkaspruce
04-13-2017, 07:57 PM
Was back there a few times for work in late Aug/early Sept and saw 20-60 buffs every day, most down along the river well away from the roads. Never saw a dead wasted buff. Talked to the guys who where there for opening day and they liked two buff by the end of day two. Only saw a few guys hunting.

They were escapees from the rancher back there (forgot his name) who thought he could get rich off buffs. When he got lazy and failed to mend his fences, the buff took a walk about and have been ever since. They are introduced and there is lots of talk about the affect they have on the local moose/elk/sheep and to a certain extent deer population. They finally matched up the seasons for A and B zone so they both get hunted at the same time right to the end of the season.

Hunt away, there is lots back there and if there population does go down.....so what???

Cheers

SS

lcgoatboy
04-13-2017, 09:00 PM
Add it up. Multiply the number of tags by the draw odds, do it for each draw, add them together and multiply it by $5.

We saw 200 in 2 days last year, I think you need to take up fishing. Maybe your right,but lets see how others made out with their 2016 Bison hunt? Hope someone chimes in to let us know. I know we hunted HARD! I really don't care about the bison or the leh. Just sharing my thoughts that's all.

Bear Chaser
04-13-2017, 10:15 PM
They do not belong in there.
They are causing damage to sheep and elk range digging wallows way up above timberline.
They should be exterminated from the area.

weatherbyjunkie
04-13-2017, 10:28 PM
So you want to put in for the Pink Mountain Bison hunt, do you? Join a secret extermination project that no one else in the province knows about other than the ones that have been on the hunt or those who live at Pink Mountain???
When we first hunted Pink Mountain in 2013 (early season) we ended up with a Bison cow. There were some other guys that were successful as well, not many though, maybe 6 bison were killed in that season.The natives killed a bunch and only took the back straps (I didn't understand nor agree with this slaughter at the time).
I was lucky enough to go a second time in 2016(early season)! Unfortunately we only spotted 8 bison at the tops of the mountains nothing else.The natives have a shoot every bison you see policy and take any meat you want or just leave it for the predators. I was appalled! As far as I know 1 LEH Bison calf was killed in this season!
This is NOT a managed LEH of Bison! It's an extermination project of an animal that was never native to the area that is ruining habitat for the native animals.
So how do I really feel!
-don't put in for the leh bison (false hope and a money grab)!
-kill the rest of the bison in pink mountain area with any means (the natives are right to do so)!
-these bison should not be there!
Oh and if you didn't get this memo soon enough and did get a tag, be prepared to spend a full 2 weeks and $2000 bucks! As we did! Also the most dangerous roads coming back (I'm a snow driving kootenay boy for 34 years)!
Oh you say ""we can hunt moose elk and deer well we're there for bison"! GOOD luck! When we were there we saw 1 bull moose! We were lazy though, slept in to 4:30 every morning! Hiked only until wasted deep snow 15kms per day. Quadded at least 50kms per day. Glassed everything!
If you have 2000 bucks spare change and 16 days off work and a full freezer of meat,do the hunt. The scenery is awesome! However hunting is less than poor.
However I did have a good time and met some great people.

We shot 2 bison in 2 days this year,first 2 days of the hunt. Beautiful scenery as well. The bison are not native to this area,they "escaped" from the ranch/farm they were at way back when. On our hunt we met a forest ministry biologist-he said they estimate between 5000-15,000 bison between the 2 leh areas. I know that is a big spread,but the point is even at 5000 bison,there aren't even close to that many moose in the same area,and almost no elk.
My 2 cents 😀

dabber
04-13-2017, 10:57 PM
I don't disagree with the OP on most of this. I have gone on 3 hunts and was successful once. The last hunt we hunted hard and where there for a full ten days. Lot's of long quad rides and then long walks, we did see bison but did not have a good/ethical opportunity . We were a group of 4 and where prepared to pack at least 2 days.
All this being said we are hoping for the opportunity to go again this year.
Yes it is a hard hunt, especially if the temps get low(coastal wimp), and it isn't cheap, but sure was fun..

2chodi
04-13-2017, 10:58 PM
The population estimate that you are quoting is completely out of line. The most recent counts estimate a population of about 1500 — many feel that is too low, but certainly not out by a factor of 10.

We shot 2 bison in 2 days this year,first 2 days of the hunt. Beautiful scenery as well. The bison are not native to this area,they "escaped" from the ranch/farm they were at way back when. On our hunt we met a forest ministry biologist-he said they estimate between 5000-15,000 bison between the 2 leh areas. I know that is a big spread,but the point is even at 5000 bison,there aren't even close to that many moose in the same area,and almost no elk.
My 2 cents 

clutch
04-14-2017, 12:02 AM
Was in there in 2004 when I was thirteen, shooting apples in a barrel. Brother was in there a couple years after and it was just as easy. We went again in 2015 for the third week of October and did not see a bison, hiked back into trimble and behind mount withrow and got over to Marion Lake, nothing. No one else that was in there that week got one. Old man was in there the next year in December, and his group was the only group to get a bison out of everyone that was there, the guide was having a hard time finding them and couldn't fill tags. Talked to two sheep hunters at the WSSBC convention. They were in there 2016 and didn't get any nor did anyone else they talked to. From my eyes, the numbers are not near what they used to be. I also heard that the First Nations were taking a lot out before the resident LEH season and that has pushed them over into the kneaves side and way back along the sikanni. I personally won't be putting in for it again but there I'm sure there is some animals around for those that do just have to work for it and be okay with maybe coming out empty handed.

renegadeowl
04-14-2017, 07:41 AM
I hunted Zone B last year. My group was lucky enough to get a shared draw. We knocked down two bulls on opening morning, and as such were able to put three other groups on their bison. We ran into a group of FN hunters while scouting the day before our draw opened who harvested two bison and left nothing but the heads. Saw several legal elk that we couldn't connect on and the same with some large bull moose that didn't give the opportunity to confirm that they were legal. A lot of homework and preparation was required for this hunt and it paid off. Lots of work. I don't know enough about current population numbers to comment but they do give away 200+ draws to resident hunters, a dozen to guide outfitters and whatever the FNs take.

lcgoatboy
04-14-2017, 08:31 AM
I hunted Zone B last year. My group was lucky enough to get a shared draw. We knocked down two bulls on opening morning, and as such were able to put three other groups on their bison. We ran into a group of FN hunters while scouting the day before our draw opened who harvested two bison and left nothing but the heads. Saw several legal elk that we couldn't connect on and the same with some large bull moose that didn't give the opportunity to confirm that they were legal. A lot of homework and preparation was required for this hunt and it paid off. Lots of work. I don't know enough about current population numbers to comment but they do give away 200+ draws to resident hunters, a dozen to guide outfitters and whatever the FNs take.

We had a guy scouting for us 2 weeks before the hunt started and he didn't see a bison other than the ones on the mountain tops (10 or so). There must be a huge differance between 7-57 a and 7-57 b. In 7-57a remember in the early 2016 season only 1 calf bison was taken. Also 1 Bull moose that we know of.

Caribou_lou
04-14-2017, 08:47 AM
It should really be an open season. Calves, Cows and Bulls

boxhitch
04-14-2017, 09:02 AM
We had a guy scouting for us 2 weeks before the hunt started and he didn't see a bison other than the ones on the mountain topsshould have paid with more beer

lcgoatboy
04-14-2017, 09:10 AM
It should really be an open season. Calves, Cows and Bulls

It was open for all last year. Did it change for 2017?

Savage230
04-15-2017, 08:29 AM
So for your information, my hunting group had 2 tags for bison in this management area and we were successful on opening morning on both bison. A friend of mine and his hunting group had 2 tags the second half of the month and they were also successful, other groups were also successful while we were there. This all occurred in the 2016 season as you put it. we saw other Bison as well as moose and elk. Furthermore Just prior to us getting there a First nations hunting group harvested 2 Bison and they took all the meat and left only the heads in the bush.
I guess what I am trying to say is maybe do a little more preparation and planning and you too could be successful.
The one thing I do agree with you about is the scenery is awesome and it is a beautiful place to hunt.

Darksith
04-15-2017, 10:03 AM
Terrible thread. We all want a hunt to be successful. We all hope, especially when travelling a really long distance that that sacrifice is worth it and the north is so plentiful that its like shooting fish in a barrel. I mean really, if I wanted to strike out on a hunting trip, I could just as easily do it in my own back yard right? So its a big cost, both financially and socially leaving family behind, taking time off work etc etc. We need to remember that its still hunting no matter where you wanna do it. There are a few Bison ranches just south of the boarder in washington where you can drive up, shoot a bison and take it home. 100% success rate! and much closer to home for most people to I bet. Hell I even asked the guy if I could pitch a wall tent and pretend I was hunting for a week before shooting one, he said "not a chance" which pretty much turned me off of the notion, but if its just the meat you want, there is the solution. Hunting is about the adventure, the comradary, the struggle, and hopefully success in the end. I have been up north on 5 hunting trips now...only ever bagged some white tail deer on 1 trip. The other trips were fun, disapointing and challenging, but Im not giving up. You can't normally just stroll into an unfamiliar area, hunt an unfamiliar species and expect instant gratification. Every trip I learned something, some lessons were "not to go back there" lol, but others were very educational and I can't wait to return again, even if I long for new country and it may take a few years to pull the trigger on a return trip to a spot that didn't pay off the first time. Don't expect too much, enjoy the moment and have fun out there. Cheers

quadrakid
04-15-2017, 08:40 PM
Well said Darksith.Too many people think getting an LEH means your hunt is some sort of gimme.

shed-hunter1
04-16-2017, 09:13 PM
last time we where up there i never seen more hunters in my life then that week i wont go back

lcgoatboy
04-17-2017, 09:55 PM
Darksith,you are totally right,terrible thread but people need to be educated about the Bison hunt. Here are some of my views the bison hunt in 7.57A

-Natives that we talk to wanted all the bison dead,they don't like the meat,moose is what they want.
-The locals up there feel the bison are destroying habitat especially for moose.
-the caretaker of the Blueberry nations said "I hate those bison don't even like to look at them''! He makes cash off trespass fees from bison hunters!
-guides and other hunters call them invasive species.

When my son in law and I went up to Pink Mountain 7-57A in 2013 we ask some guys in our area about their previous bison hunts they said " you just find the herd and shoot the biggest one"! Well we were dam lucky to get a cow! No herds of bison! Most guys were skunked that year again 7-75A.

2016 7-57A my cousin drew a tag.I told him this is probably going to be a camping trip,I knew it wasn't going to be like "shooting fish in a barrel". I was ok with the adventure,the scenery,even the 14 hour drive and our camper set up was awesome complete with 3 huge solar panel and wood stove. I wasn't ok with the politics of the bison or the lack of game period. We saw old meatpole (lots of them) all EMPTY! Not one deer hanging!

Quadrakid you are right this is not a gimme, pre 2012 maybe. Hunters need to know this!!

Once again I could care less about this controversial Bison leh (although very cool to hunt an animal that large). I live in the East Kootenays,elk are at my door step and my freezer is alway full!

I would just like hunter to know the bison hunt is not even close to what it use to be,pre 2012. Keep in mind this is only early season 7-57a that I speak of.

Mik
04-18-2017, 02:36 PM
I have been fortunate enough to be on 3 hunts and successful on 2. The last hunt being Jan 2016 for 10 days, we hunted hard every day on sleds and lots of walking covering many hills on snowshoes and did not even see one. Had a great time, scenery was awesome, an am looking fwd to my next adventure should I be lucky enough to draw a tag

afors
04-18-2017, 07:37 PM
Been on two hunts, two of us both times, first hunt 1 of 1 tag cut, second hunt 2 of 2 tags cut. (Dec 1-15 hunt both times) Gotta get off the road and put the miles on we worked for them both hunts. Saw Lots of Elk, quite a few of moose and Lots of whitetail

I find it funny that "the bison don't belong" but we are up there creating all kinds of commotion with our mining for gas and oil. From what the locals say about game abundance they have seen a decline in ALL game activity in large areas since oil and LNG activity escalated... who or what is the larger problem? ... just saying

Here is some info on an inventory done in 2006... the heard was estimated at 1295 and counted at 1302.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/peace/documents/2006_Plains_bison_Inventory.pdf

YES I will apply again and YES I will go on any Bison hunt that a buddy gets and invites me along. EPIC hunt!

Darksith
04-18-2017, 07:58 PM
I was up there in 2013 or 2014 for the late january hunt, got skunked. It was tough, only 1 group staying at the ranch was successful that go around. I didn't hear the same negative comments from the locals at the ranch as you, we missed the buff by litterally seconds, they were wise to the sound of the snow machines and we really didn't understand what we were doing, but they were there, a few anyway. Say lots of elk, lots of sheep too way off yonder through my spotter. Can't wait to do it again if Im so lucky, will change a few things up though thats for sure. Was an awesome experience, no regrets just glad we got lucky enough to draw.

lcgoatboy
04-18-2017, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the Bison count info. Must have been a lack of funding after 2006.

Darksith is it possible that the moose population is so low that there is more out cry and the bison are now to blame? There was definitely lots of bad bison talk when we were there.

xfactor
04-18-2017, 08:47 PM
Was there in January of this year. Truly an amazing hunt. Saw conservatively 200 animals in the first few days. We went 2 for 2 with our tags. Key for us was getting off the sleds and walking...they are very wise to the sound of a snowmobile. I loved every part of the adventure, even the -35 weather:). Would go again in a heartbeat.

lcgoatboy
04-18-2017, 09:11 PM
Was there in January of this year. Truly an amazing hunt. Saw conservatively 200 animals in the first few days. We went 2 for 2 with our tags. Key for us was getting off the sleds and walking...they are very wise to the sound of a snowmobile. I loved every part of the adventure, even the -35 weather:). Would go again in a heartbeat.

Nice! The meat is awesome!

Darksith
04-19-2017, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the Bison count info. Must have been a lack of funding after 2006.

Darksith is it possible that the moose population is so low that there is more out cry and the bison are now to blame? There was definitely lots of bad bison talk when we were there.

It is possible, I mean that valley from blueberry ranch gets pounded...and its way easier to blame anyone even a bison rather than say the guy in the mirror. Conservation is challenging and we all want healthy populations of moose everywhere, but having the right strategy to make that happen is or could be the challenge? I don't know much about the migration habits or summer feeding for the bison, they do seem to prefer the same type of forrage as moose in the winter though.

Thunderstix
04-19-2017, 11:59 AM
Crazy.....personally been on 7, yes 7 bison hunts......and 7 bison down (skunked on hunt 6 but filled both tags on hunt 7). of course, some do call me the bison whisperer.:smile:

Thunderstix
04-19-2017, 12:07 PM
In 2013, Endre Pipics of Nevis Creek Outfitters told me that he drove his snowmobile from Nevis to Redfern and stopped counting at 750....and of course there were lots on the Sikanni side of the mountains as well.

Been on two hunts, two of us both times, first hunt 1 of 1 tag cut, second hunt 2 of 2 tags cut. (Dec 1-15 hunt both times) Gotta get off the road and put the miles on we worked for them both hunts. Saw Lots of Elk, quite a few of moose and Lots of whitetail

I find it funny that "the bison don't belong" but we are up there creating all kinds of commotion with our mining for gas and oil. From what the locals say about game abundance they have seen a decline in ALL game activity in large areas since oil and LNG activity escalated... who or what is the larger problem? ... just saying

Here is some info on an inventory done in 2006... the heard was estimated at 1295 and counted at 1302.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/peace/documents/2006_Plains_bison_Inventory.pdf

YES I will apply again and YES I will go on any Bison hunt that a buddy gets and invites me along. EPIC hunt!

lcgoatboy
04-19-2017, 06:19 PM
2013 Believable. 2016 7-57A doubt it!
From what I'm hearing 7-57B is the better choice.
You'll notice nobody is saying much about A as far as early season and success rate. Access with snowmachines probably make the late season better.
Lots of good in B.
I still maintain that only 1 calf bison went down in the early season 7-57A 2016. Or am I wong???

browningboy
04-19-2017, 08:13 PM
Everyone shouldn't apply, been putting in since 1996 and nothing!!!! Give others a break

albravo2
04-19-2017, 08:28 PM
No critters seen? Sounds like a lot of my hunts.

I'll keep applying and will love the hunt if I get it.

We go up for early moose in August, I'd be ready for a 16 hour butt-numbing drive again in December.

boxhitch
04-20-2017, 04:43 AM
I still maintain that only 1 calf bison went down in the early season 7-57A 2016. Or am I wong???One phone call can clear that up for you

Sealclubber
04-21-2017, 09:09 AM
In 2013, Endre Pipics of Nevis Creek Outfitters told me that he drove his snowmobile from Nevis to Redfern and stopped counting at 750....and of course there were lots on the Sikanni side of the mountains as well.
Endre is full of shit. He don't know the difference between 5 and 50 much less how to count that high

Darksith
04-21-2017, 09:14 AM
Crazy.....personally been on 7, yes 7 bison hunts......and 7 bison down (skunked on hunt 6 but filled both tags on hunt 7). of course, some do call me the bison whisperer.:smile:
your coming with me if we win haha

Linksman313
04-21-2017, 12:57 PM
No critters seen? Sounds like a lot of my hunts.

I'll keep applying and will love the hunt if I get it.

We go up for early moose in August, I'd be ready for a 16 hour butt-numbing drive again in December.

Agreed, especially on the butt numbing truck ride part lols
Good luck in August!