PDA

View Full Version : Terrible News at Red Lake

campking
04-12-2017, 11:16 PM
I walked in at the tail end of the news broadcast but I believe that 2 people went through the ice and were killed at red lake, this is terrible news
please be careful the ice is getting questionable on many lakes.

My condolences to their families and friends.

tipper
04-13-2017, 06:25 AM
I wonder why they would have chanced it? It was open water from the shore out a ways and rotten ice??

RINO
04-13-2017, 06:43 AM
Two in their 50s and 60s... Very Sad...

lovemywinchester
04-13-2017, 07:38 AM
http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/ice1_zpsaovvtqye.jpg (http://s1124.photobucket.com/user/zippogold/media/ice1_zpsaovvtqye.jpg.html)

Very sad news. I feel for the families, such an avoidable tragedy. I guess you never think you will be the one to go through. We push our luck on the ice all the time but I go with my gut, if it feels wrong I get out of there. Used a plank to get on the ice at Tunkwa the other day. Wearing a survival suit and having ice picks is a good idea. Survival suits are warm and comfortable and its a great idea to wear them all the time when on the ice, no matter how much ice there is.

markomoose
04-13-2017, 07:35 PM
I do lots of ice fishing and usually shut it down when the ice melts near shore.Sad to hear about these two men on Red Lake.My condolences.

Bugle M In
04-13-2017, 09:24 PM
Curious....would wearing a inflatable life vest help in a situation like that....or....make it worse?
Lets face it, you hardly know you have one on, so its hardly an inconvenience.
But, I wonder if when you fall thru, you end up below surface of water and ice and the vest would then inflate
and you may never have a chance???

Also....condolences to the family.....

wideopenthrottle
04-14-2017, 12:00 PM
very sad...honey comb ice is no joke....even when it is more than 18 inches thick.....it is like thousands and thousands of needle sharp ice daggers banded together....when you go through you tend to put your hands down and slice them badly .....we only used to ice fish honeycomb if we pushed a small boat out with us...we would lean on the side of the boat as we pushed it so if you went through you only got a wet leg....i wouldnt go on it without a boat....when the ice lifts all the melted water on top has drained through the honeycomb and it only has a short time left before it completely breaks up in my experience....condolences to the families for their loss

Sunzuki
04-16-2017, 10:11 AM
Heck with ice fishing this late in the season.
Way to chancy and for the lust of fishing when other lakes are open?

Condolences to the families and friends of these
two gents.