PDA

View Full Version : LEH Fall Applications

VLD43
04-12-2017, 12:12 PM
LEH applications for the Fall Hunts are now active on the LEH site. Good luck everyone

HarryToolips
04-12-2017, 12:21 PM
Excellent, thanks.....

russm86
04-12-2017, 12:33 PM
Apparently I checked 2 hrs too early this morning, lol.

300H&H
04-13-2017, 07:44 PM
Picked up my copy today along with my license and bear tag at WSS

RugDoctor
04-13-2017, 07:49 PM
Do I read correctly that there are no group or shared elk hunts on VI?

And good luck all!

Steelpulse
04-14-2017, 07:36 AM
Applied for every animal except bison, only because I'm going on sheep hunt so won't have time for bison this year, hope to win something, all decent odds. Couple hunts 2,3,4:1 and the rest 14,15:1. So hope to see a doe and group moose

ian745
04-15-2017, 08:23 PM
you read correctly, no shared or group hunts of Vancouver Island Elk,

Do I read correctly that there are no group or shared elk hunts on VI?

And good luck all!

Pinewood
04-15-2017, 10:21 PM
I'm not seeing the odds. Any tips?

Steelpulse
04-16-2017, 11:15 AM
Look in the regs......that is the entire regulations there's odds for every hunt

Dorarem
04-17-2017, 03:35 PM
Applied for bison this year. January season, as I'm busy with school this fall (last semester ) and thought would be great vacation up north hunting bison.. will see how it goes with draw

Glassman
04-17-2017, 06:55 PM
Based on my 2 sons and I success ratio, which is 0 for 9 each year for the last 8 years, I just made another donation to the current government coffers. How can odds of 4.6-1 and 10-1 be so hard to get. I thought the odds of getting a moose are supposed to get better as each year goes by that I don't get one?

Boner
04-17-2017, 07:07 PM
Based on my 2 sons and I success ratio, which is 0 for 9 each year for the last 8 years, I just made another donation to the current government coffers. How can odds of 4.6-1 and 10-1 be so hard to get. I thought the odds of getting a moose are supposed to get better as each year goes by that I don't get one?

Odds for LEH moose draw winners are halved for the next three years. Your odds don't get better if you haven't ever won one in BC.

Squamch
04-17-2017, 07:30 PM

I'm pretty sure it's the same chance every year, apart from the actual odds, none of that priority points BS some places have.

Steelpulse
04-17-2017, 07:47 PM
It it is explained clear as day in regs, there is no thinking needed. And that's how draws work odds don't mean your guaranteed to win, you could theoretically never be drawn on a 10:1 hunt even if you applied for 15 years, luck of the draw I'm afraid,

although i I do think a points system would be fun for some high odd hunts

Wild one
04-17-2017, 07:59 PM

Some are just cursed know a few people who never pulled a draw in 15 years at reasonable odds. Than there is others who get drawn all the time even high odds.

I am just happy I land in the middle when it comes to luck lol

Lastcar
04-17-2017, 09:39 PM

10-1 odds gives you 9.1% of being drawn.

4.6-1 odds gives you 18% of being drawn.

So not really that great.

As mentioned by someone else, it is fresh start every year. Previous years have no impact on your likelihood to draw in the current year.

Even 3-1 odds you only have a 25% chance. Not swell odds if you're really hoping to get the draw.

I'd be disappointed but not surprised to not draw a 10-1 odds tag if I put in for it every year for the next 25 years.

The beauty of the LEH system is other than Bison every other critter is available as GOS tag. So not all is lost.

omer
04-17-2017, 10:01 PM
I am maybe wrong but i dont see white tail deer in the 2017 fall leh. Are they not open for leh????Kindly correct me as i have never applied for leh before so i might not know how to read the leh system properly.

Rhyno
04-17-2017, 10:06 PM
I am maybe wrong but i dont see white tail deer in the 2017 fall leh. Are they not open for leh????Kindly correct me as i have never applied for leh before so i might not know how to read the leh system properly.

Whities are strictly on general open season, no need for a draw.

Rhyno
04-17-2017, 10:08 PM

As mentioned by someone else, it is fresh start every year. Previous years have no impact on your likelihood to draw in the current year.

Even 3-1 odds you only have a 25% chance.

Although I agree with your explanation I am not so sure about your math ;)

twoSevenO
04-17-2017, 11:14 PM

Even 3-1 odds you only have a 25% chance. Not swell odds if you're really hoping to get the draw.

I'd be disappointed but not surprised to not draw a 10-1 odds tag if I put in for it every year for the next 25 years.

The beauty of the LEH system is other than Bison every other critter is available as GOS tag. So not all is lost.

Even if these percentages are correct (can't be bothered to check) your math is still incorrect in that it assumes only a single tag is available for draw.

Rhyno
04-18-2017, 11:00 AM
Even if these percentages are correct (can't be bothered to check) your math is still incorrect in that it assumes only a single tag is available for draw.

The odds are list as X:1 regardless of how many tags are available.

wideopenthrottle
04-18-2017, 12:17 PM
simple math....10:1 means for every LEH available there are 10 applicants...one person will be drawn out of the 10 ...1/10 = 0.10 or 10 percent...for odds of 4.6 to 1 (last years odds based on number of applicants and number of tags given IN THE PREVIOUS YEAR)....1/4.6 =21.7 %....

Lastcar
04-18-2017, 07:19 PM

Ya, my math may have been off. I was working the math out as 11 applications and 1 gets the tag and 10 don't.

I am ok with being wrong. I have lots of practice.

Either way, the odds are nowhere near in one's favour.

The number of tags is irrelevant. The odds are based on how many tags are given out relative to the number of applicants in the previous season.

If there are 10 tags it doesn't mean the odds go to 10:10.

They stay at 10:1 and would indicate that 100 people applied and 10 get drawn.

I mean I wish it did! But no dice.

I should know better...way too early to jump on an "I never get drawn" LEH thread. We have months of opportunity ahead of us for that. :)

Rhyno
04-18-2017, 08:10 PM
Ya, my math may have been off. I was working the math out as 11 applications and 1 gets the tag and 10 don't.

I am ok with being wrong. I have lots of practice.

Either way, the odds are nowhere near in one's favour.

The number of tags is irrelevant. The odds are based on how many tags are given out relative to the number of applicants in the previous season.

If there are 10 tags it doesn't mean the odds go to 10:10.

They stay at 10:1 and would indicate that 100 people applied and 10 get drawn.

I mean I wish it did! But no dice.

I should know better...way too early to jump on an "I never get drawn" LEH thread. We have months of opportunity ahead of us for that. :)

Haha, yeah it's good to get a head start on the "boohoo I didn't get a draw, I wish we were on a system like Alberta posts "....a ways off prime time though, day after the draws are run is the best:)

The_Bear_Man
04-18-2017, 08:12 PM
It was my understanding that the odds listed are last years odds so it does matter how many tags are given out for the current year. If the same number of people apply for an area with less tags, the odds of being chosen go down from what they were last year. Correct me if I am wrong but that was my understanding.

Rhyno
04-18-2017, 08:35 PM
It was my understanding that the odds listed are last years odds so it does matter how many tags are given out for the current year. If the same number of people apply for an area with less tags, the odds of being chosen go down from what they were last year. Correct me if I am wrong but that was my understanding.

You would be correct.

Lastcar
04-18-2017, 09:51 PM

You are correct. I saved the PDF versions from the last 3 years. I've never gone back to see how much the odds changed from year to year for the various draws I've put I'm for.

I'd suspect the biggest factor in odds improving or decreasing is reduction in tags for that MU. Whether it be a reduction in that MU or near by MU's pushing people to put in for adjacent MUs.

You do see all the current year odds when they send you your "success" package. Of course that requires one to be successful.

But to twoSeven0's point about "assumes a single tag Is available for the draw" doesn't change the fact that the odds will always be displayed as X:1. May go up or down but always calculated as X:1.

ian745
04-18-2017, 09:57 PM
i dont even look at the odds anymore, just pick the area and the animal i would like to try for and apply, usually the highest odds there are, but generally they announce to late for me to get the vacation time, so hoping this year is different

northof49
04-18-2017, 10:24 PM
Just sat down to do my LEH selections and the site is currently down.

northof49
04-19-2017, 12:18 AM
Back up again