PDA

View Full Version : Spotting Scope for a Gift

newhunterette
07-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Hey y'all,

I am wanting to purchase a really nice spotting scope for my hubby as his birthday is coming up but I do not know anything about them - could u please enlighten me on the best type to purchase as I he does all sorts of critter hunting so I would like it to be the best for him

thank you
Ali

Gateholio
07-18-2007, 01:28 PM
First hting s first- How much do you want to spend?

You can get pretty good spotters for $500, very good ones for $1200 and top end ones for $2000++

newhunterette
07-18-2007, 01:34 PM
First hting s first- How much do you want to spend?

You can get pretty good spotters for $500, very good ones for $1200 and top end ones for $2000++

I am by no means a wealthy woman but I would spend about $1500.00. I want it to be something that will last him a while.

Steeleco
07-18-2007, 01:42 PM
This will one day be in my bag of tricks!!
http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-12-40x60mm-golden-ring-hd-spotting-scope.html

Mr. Dean
07-18-2007, 01:53 PM
... Best to let him in on it. Optics IMO are a VERY personal purchase.

newhunterette
07-18-2007, 02:06 PM

hmmmmmmm - why would it be personal? I have always bought him his hunting gear except his rifle of course - usually i find out what he likes from conversations then I sneak out an buy it but the spotting scope is something i wanted to know a little about so i dont look like a goofball when i go into a store.

Elkhound
07-18-2007, 02:10 PM
Nice gift....you are a good woman

Gateholio
07-18-2007, 02:30 PM
You may want to take a look at the Demo models here:

http://www.cameralandny.com/

Also, the Leupold spotter woudl fit your budget.

Mr. Dean
07-18-2007, 02:47 PM
hmmmmmmm - why would it be personal? I have always bought him his hunting gear except his rifle of course - usually i find out what he likes from conversations then I sneak out an buy it but the spotting scope is something i wanted to know a little about so i dont look like a goofball when i go into a store.

You'll likely get my meaning as this thread rolls along.

Spotters come in a wide array of configurations. What is good for one, isn't nesescarily good for another. But, if you know what he want's, that's another matter.

In that price range I wouldn't have a clue as to what my pick would be. I've never looked through one that was worth more than $500... WAY outa my league.

With that said; I envy the sausage. :mrgreen:

Brambles
07-18-2007, 07:07 PM
The leupold goldring HD is a nice spotting scope. Not the WindRiver stuff.

Sometimes you can find a good deal on a Zeiss Diascope T*FL 65, might be a bit more than $1500, but I know you can find them. Regular price with the eye piece is well over $2000

Try Ebay..

bigwhiteys
07-18-2007, 07:24 PM
http://www.eurooptic.com

They are selling the Zeiss Diascope 65mm With the Eyepiece for $1599.00 USD. You would also pay 7% tax when bringing it into Canada.

Basically $1670 CAD + 7% Tax.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Krico
07-18-2007, 07:41 PM
Under $1500 I would go for the Leupold Gold Ring 12-40x60 HD. Over that I would go for the Zeiss.

Brambles
07-18-2007, 09:30 PM
Strike now while the canadian dollar is hot

newhunterette
07-18-2007, 10:00 PM
thank you - I appreciate everyone's fast responses for me - lots to read and learn about to make sure I get him exactly what he needs

Ali

BCrams
07-18-2007, 11:32 PM
You can't go wrong with the Leupold Gold Ring 12x40x60 HD

The deal bigwhiteys pointed out sounds good too.

For budget dollars - the Nikon makes a good spotting scope as well.

Mik
07-19-2007, 07:36 AM
I have the leupold 12-40x60 Gold Ring. It is an Excellent spotter and quite compact for hiking with.
If I were to buy a new one it would definately be a HD spotter.

PS:have you read the 2 other threads, "high end spotters" and "Pros/Cons-angled vs straight spotters". There is a lot of good info there.8)
Excellent decision to buy a top end spotter right away.

Spitzer
07-19-2007, 07:47 AM
A great budget spotter is the Pentax PF-65 ED with a XW-14 (28X) eyepiece.

http://betterviewdesired.com/Pentax-65-mm-Spotting-Scope.php

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/pentax.pl?page=pf65ed

harbinger
07-19-2007, 08:43 AM

I agree with Mr. Dean on this one. Don't get me wrong, if my wife bought me a spotting scope I would be SUPER pumped, and I think it is great you are doing that for your guy. Having said that, if you are dropping 1500 on a spotter it is probably going to be the only one he ever gets/has. He may have a particular one in mind, do some inteligence (thats funny I can't spell intelligence) gathering from him, buy that one and tell him "no hard feelings" if he wants to exchange it for the EXACT one he wants! He is going to be stoked!:cool:

newhunterette
07-20-2007, 05:08 PM
thanks ever so much y'all - I think I have a swimming brain now with all the info but it is all good - I will also be poking the hubby's dream thoughts to sort of get some pointers as to what he is looking for and then put it all together and go SHOPPING.

srupp
07-22-2007, 09:34 PM
ALI I have been hunting for 30 + years and have guided..optics are a very personal thing as has been said..I recently purchased the LEUPOLD 12-40 x60 HD and its going with me next week on my fly in sheep and goat trip.

So far I love it..seems very crisp and clear and even after extended hours of use no tired eyes..and I was "practicing" and spotted a small collie dog completely across the Willaims Lake valley...several Kms away...

I have NOT put it up against the only other 2 I would try...Swarovoski..and Zeiss...

And I did compare the HD (HIGH DEFINITION) against just the regular 12-40 x 60..much crisper images..clearer....

just my .02

steven

newhunterette
07-23-2007, 08:31 PM
Well y'all I did it I made the big puchase and got a good price I hope - consensus was the LP 12 - 40 x 60 HD Golden Ring so I got that - I asked a few strategic questions with the hubby and followed my gut instincts and the spotting scope will be here on Thursday. shhhhhhhhhhh no one tell him pleaseeeeee - anniversary is Aug 3 and his birthday is Sept 7 so I am covered for hunting season :) thank you so much for all your input and help - you have no idea how much I appreciated it all.

Ali

ROEBUCK
07-23-2007, 08:39 PM
dont pay that much for a leupold the lens quality isnt good enough i speak from first hand experiance there good value in the 500 buck range but in my opinion not worth anymore.gota be zeiss or swarovski? your husbands a lucky man!

Stone Sheep Steve
07-23-2007, 08:41 PM
You both will be happy with your new addition to your family!!8)
Can't go wrong with that scope!

SS.....s:-D

srupp
07-23-2007, 08:56 PM
Ali your husband will LOVE it...and YOU for such a thoughtful gift and for seeking out 'guidance" now if we can only get guys to stop @ gas staions for directions....."excuse me sir..do you know where there are some stone sheep ???lol

Steven

kennyg826
07-24-2007, 05:33 PM
$1500 bucks!!!! On a BIRTHDAY. WOW. YOU MUST MEET MY WIFE!!!!

srupp
07-24-2007, 07:06 PM
Wifes can be wonderful creatures..mine bought me a new quad this spring for my 50th birthday..arnt they just WONDERFUL!

Steven

Kirby
07-24-2007, 07:17 PM
I am by no means a wealthy woman but I would spend about $1500.00. I want it to be something that will last him a while.
:shock:Do you have a 25 year old sister who is single by any chance?????????:-D

Sure your hubby will love the scope, I've played with the leupolds... I'm envious.

Kirby

Elkhound
07-24-2007, 10:55 PM
nice purchase Ali......he will love it I am sure.

Deaddog
07-25-2007, 06:29 AM
Congrats to him!!! that is a scope to last him the rest of his hunting days, Lucky SOB:-D

max
07-25-2007, 06:51 AM
try whole sale sprts in Kamloops. They have all brands

BCrams
07-25-2007, 07:18 AM
Great purchase. You can't go wrong with the Leupy. I use one myself for all my hunting. He's going to be one happy fella!

newhunterette
07-26-2007, 08:56 PM
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - dang guy ordered in the wrong blasted scope grrrrrrrrrrr - I speak perfect english - okay with a redneck accent but how can ya screw up I gave him the blasted numbers - even the product code number - good grief - now I have to wait again - dang hubby is getting suspicious - thinks I am up to no good

browningboy
07-26-2007, 09:09 PM
Atta girl, nice purchase, my wife does the same every year and buys boots, jacket, scope etc.. but she always gets quality and that goes a long way in the bush and lasts way longer than other stuff.
Soooo you have to teach all the other wives the same thing, HMMMM brainwashing???

srupp
07-27-2007, 12:27 PM
oops..hang in there Ali..

Steven

newhunterette
07-27-2007, 12:41 PM
woooooooooohoooooooooo even better deal - the guy felt so bad he messed up now I get the entire kit for my hubby - scope,tripod,window mount,case, camera adapter, all the little accessories to make it perfect

will all be here next week

thanks for all your help everyone again

newhunterette
07-30-2007, 01:15 PM
Chris dont you dare tell him anything or next time we go hunting you will be in the lead and I may trip you bugger :)

newhunterette
08-01-2007, 07:27 PM
got the call the scope is in going to pick up tomorrow - oh this is gonna be a big surprise

thanks again y'all for your advice in picking out a nice one for him.

Ali

Steeleco
08-01-2007, 09:55 PM
This whole thread reminds me of a guy buying a sexy nightie for his wife, it's not for her at all,

Is this the case here Sister!! Well is it?? :wink::wink:

newhunterette
08-02-2007, 02:24 PM
This whole thread reminds me of a guy buying a sexy nightie for his wife, it's not for her at all,

Is this the case here Sister!! Well is it?? :wink::wink:

heyyyyyyyy - sheesh you don't really think that do you - can I help it if the thought of seeing his face when he opens up his gift bag and sees the spotting scope excites me - I just picked it up and took a look at it - I am sure him getting the scope will get more results than him seeing me in lingere that he bought ( i have seen myself in lingere beleive me I prefer the scope too) hehehehehehe

anyhow enough said about that cause I know u are scanning my naughtiness grade - I have the scope now and my daughter wrapped it so I can't give it to him early - has to be tomorrow night at dinner :) she says

Ali

browningboy
08-02-2007, 02:58 PM
I think that gift will be excellent, kudos on the leopold!

Elkhound
08-02-2007, 03:07 PM
I am sure him getting the scope will get more results than him seeing me in lingere that he bought

This thread is useless without pics:mrgreen:

I am sure he will love the scope Ali. Great gift.

Wildman
08-02-2007, 03:34 PM
I heard that you want a devorce to marry on of us!

Just kidding.

newhunterette
08-02-2007, 03:46 PM
I heard that you want a devorce to marry on of us!

Just kidding.

hmmmm did my messeges get shut down - I havent had a marriage proposal
Steelco - I swear I have my halo on

Steeleco
08-02-2007, 03:50 PM
I'm sure he'll be one happy camper, I know I would, So next June when Mrs Steele is looking for ideas, I'll get her to talk to you. :wink:

newhunterette
08-04-2007, 07:35 AM
Well y'all - the spotting scope duped him - I gave him the giant gift bag and asked him to try and guess as that is his thing each year he always knows for some reason what I get him - he kept saying oh it must be art supplies a new easil - he slowly opened the bag and caught just a glimpse of the case and said "NO ******* WAY" and put it back in the bag and when he looked at me he was all choked up - he then took it completely out of the gift bag and looked at me and said "OH MY ******* GOD, I can't believe you did this for me, he choked up again and couldnt even open the case - he stared at it for 10 minutes before opening it and then he was freaked - he said it was incredible and that it was too much - I offered to take it back and he said Like Hell - he says now his incentive for his sheep hunt just went up 200%.

Thank you so much everyone for your help - I couldnt have pulled this off without your knowledge and guidance.

Oh and yes he did something special for me - he stole my suburban which is my pride and joy as it was what my daddy left me when he passed away 2 years ago - he took to a place and had new rims and tires put on it - I have a pimped out shiny bling bling'd ride - I went from standard boring rims to OMGoodness incredible show stopper rims - 22 inch rubber max he could go for me - now I better not rub any curbs lol - our kids say now they dont mind riding in my redneck limo - my son says I can drive him to hockey in it - its "sick"

Luv and hugs from me always
Ali

Steeleco
08-04-2007, 07:49 AM
So lets see some pictures of the "Bling!!"

bsa30-06
08-04-2007, 09:24 AM
nice bling , on that ride Ali.
I guess it's a good thing your husband doesn't surf HBC or he would have found out what your gift was.

Elkhound
08-04-2007, 09:40 AM
Ali they are gonna kick you off all your kids school grounds thinking you are a dope dealer:mrgreen:

Nice rims. 8)

bsa30-06
08-04-2007, 09:48 AM
Ali,
you posted pictures of your bling ( that doesn't sound right) how about pictures of the spotting scope.?

Steeleco
08-04-2007, 10:17 AM
OK Sister, you almost got it. Next time use the (img) option not the (http) one!!!

Hey Lloyd, I figured we all know what the scope looked like, but Bling??

bsa30-06
08-04-2007, 10:19 AM
OK Sister, you almost got it. Next time use the (img) option not the (http) one!!!

Hey Lloyd, I figured we all know what the scope looked like, but Bling??

David ,this a family site.Although that it some nice bling.Too nice to take into the bush and get all dirty.

newhunterette
08-04-2007, 10:45 AM
very true - the Suburban too pretty for the bush now but if y'all noticed 2 Dodge rams in driveway too and I got my little blazer - was parked on the street lol daughter drives it :)

Elkhound
08-04-2007, 10:48 AM
Ali....my great grandma called......she wants her rocking chair back:tongue:

bsa30-06
08-04-2007, 10:51 AM

Dam Thats funny........I almost spit my coffee all over the computer.:mrgreen:

newhunterette
08-04-2007, 10:58 AM

Dam Thats funny........I almost spit my coffee all over the computer.:mrgreen:

yes yes I know but hey it is solid wood furniture and if you saw how my living room is decorated u would undertsand besides with buying the scope I cant afford to get my furniture recovered lol it was that or the scope which would you pick

bcfarmer
08-04-2007, 01:09 PM
your a good wife ali...you made the right choice..lol...nice bling by the way.

bcf

newhunterette
08-05-2007, 01:06 PM
hey y'all didn't warn me that once he got the scope he wouldn't talk anymore - buy a man a new toy and he disappears

Derek_Erickson
08-05-2007, 01:12 PM
haha, hope you werent expecting a romantic dinner, hes gone!

kennyg826
08-06-2007, 12:44 AM

Man it's 12:41 am. Wife and kids are sleepin' and I almost laughed out so loud. I can't stop. Too good.

Ali, glad you and hubby liked the gift.

Wild Will
08-06-2007, 07:48 AM
You might check ebay as well. I get all my optics there and get them at really good prices. I have never been burned by a seller.

newhunterette
08-06-2007, 09:31 PM
You might check ebay as well. I get all my optics there and get them at really good prices. I have never been burned by a seller.

Thank you - i did get him his scope :) - I appreciate your input :)

srupp
08-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Exellent choice Ali..I have the same"James Bond Kit" lol....i used it recently and its awesome...WELL DONE

Steven