PDA

View Full Version : Can you bring deer steaks across the US border?

mastercaster
04-04-2017, 01:20 PM
Was thinking about bringing some deer steaks across the border for a fishing trip this week. Am I allowed?

Slinky Pickle
04-04-2017, 01:45 PM
Not sure if this clears it up or muddies it further.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/207/kw/hunting/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDkxMzM4NjA0L3NpZC9OSDZzNmhmbg%3D% 3D

IronNoggin
04-04-2017, 01:48 PM
Sent some down to Pa (air freight) and he has taken some home many times.
Don't see any issues...

Cheers,
Nog

Ron.C
04-04-2017, 01:53 PM
When I crossed in a travel trailer, I was not allowed to bring any meat or produce.

Best to call the border services before you go and get it from the horse's mouth.

Piperdown
04-04-2017, 01:57 PM
Yep, just make sure you have your license with you showing you harvested the animal. I take down a cooler full of moose, deer and smoked salmon to Hawaii every year for our vacation :)

crazy ducker
04-04-2017, 03:23 PM
Yup make sure you have a license. No sausage or pepperoni, they are worried about the casings not the stuff inside almost had twenty pound confiscated once

Ubertuber
04-04-2017, 03:43 PM
I've flown many times with declared moose meat, never had an issue. Just follow the directions on their web site, it has clear instructions on what to do.

BigSmoke
04-04-2017, 03:56 PM
I cross through the Peace Arch often with meat, fish, deer quarters, etc. They will direct you over to secondary inspection but it's a super simple process (minus the line a mile long inside). They'll usually inspect what you have and get you to fill out a form. Feel free to PM if you have further questions!

Pemby_mess
04-04-2017, 04:11 PM
I was bringing down a few steaks to Mexico last year for an old hunting friend that now lives there permanently, connected through the US on my way down. At US customs, I declared it, and was sat in secondary for about 20mins while they took a quick look and said that was fine. Got to Mexico, declared it again - couldn't get a straight answer from them and they had them "informally" confiscated.

In hind sight, I should have probably kept my mouth shut and just brought them in, but part of me wanted to see their protocol.

boxhitch
04-04-2017, 06:06 PM
When I crossed in a travel trailer, I was not allowed to bring any meat or produce
Best to call the border services before you go and get it from the horse's mouth.Same here., at one time was no meat from any split-hoof critter

tomahawk
04-04-2017, 07:50 PM
I bring wild meat across the border at Peace Arch every year. I bring a 60 quart cooler full of moose/deer and salmon/bottom fish and declare it when asked, ive never been refused, always bring my licence with cancelled tag in case I'm asked to prove its wild meat. Two years ago the only concern the US border agent had was "are you sure its not farmed moose" haha, asked me three separate times as he googled it online to find nothing. Told me to have a good day

bc_buckshot
04-04-2017, 07:58 PM
Yes totally you can. We brought back a Montana elk back frozen and wrapped