PDA

View Full Version : moose gear?...

Deerwhacker
07-17-2007, 09:00 PM
This fall my father and I will be going on our first moose hunt in reg 7-16 (NE of PG) . So I have some questions.

1. What type of gear is necosary for a moose hunt as oposed to a deer hunt?
2. does a dead moose float???

For this hunt I intend on useing my weatherby vanguard in 300 wsm probobly shooting 180gr tsx's ,and my marlin 45/70 for close range shots loaded with 405gr hardleads going at about 1875fps. any opinions on rifle choice would also be apreciated .

Thanks in advance for any help.

quadrakid
07-17-2007, 09:27 PM
yes they float and no don,t shoot them in the water,too much work.

muleychaser
07-17-2007, 09:33 PM
I have spent alot of time in 7-16 in the past and used to know it like the back of my hand and between me and my buddies we have taken alot of moose out of that neck of the woods and none of us ever used anything bigger than a 30-06, so I think your 300 will be lots for what you will be doing.

HighCountry
07-17-2007, 09:42 PM
with the gear that you have your be o.k.

Don in BC
07-17-2007, 09:42 PM
This fall my father and I will be going on our first moose hunt in reg 7-16 (NE of PG) . So I have some questions.

For this hunt I intend on useing my weatherby vanguard in 300 wsm probobly shooting 180gr tsx's ,and my marlin 45/70 for close range shots loaded with 405gr hardleads going at about 1875fps. any opinions on rifle choice would also be apreciated .

Thanks in advance for any help.

Deerwhacker
Take lots of good rope. We take 600ft of nylon braided. Very strong. and have been glad to have it many times. A winch or come along is very handy. small thick tarps are invaluable for dragging either a whole moose through grass or field dressing on them. a good bone saw. I use a Wyoming II saw. Excellant !!
Good choice on Firearms. That combo will be going with us this year. Do you handload for the Win shorty?

Don

Deerwhacker
07-17-2007, 10:05 PM
Thanks guys. Don ,i cant get myself handloading with the win short .It just shoots so dam good with factory federal 180gr tsx's that i dont wanna screw with the good thing i got going.

overthetop
07-17-2007, 11:34 PM
I have a question...what do you do with 900 lbs of meat 10 hours from home when it's 25-30 degrees out? I am also doing the same trip, but with a 300 WSM and a marlin 45/70. Are there some "no ATV" areas up there?

hunter1947
07-18-2007, 05:03 AM
Don't forget a snatch block. :wink:.

Mulies
07-18-2007, 06:13 AM
If you have never hunted moose before it is a little intimidating when you first walk up to one on the ground. They are the size of a horse basically. Gutting them is the same as a deer, except you almost have to crawl inside. Some use an axe to quarter with but it can make a mess. If you are lucky enough to get one on the side of the road or can pull it there with rope or a straw line. A recipracating saw works really well. I have a 18 volt battery operated one. A pack board could also help if you have to get a moose out of a tight spot. One other thing moose hind is thick and can dull a knife fast. Have a sharpener along or extra knifes. And get ready for some great eating!!!

CanuckShooter
07-18-2007, 06:51 AM
I have a question...what do you do with 900 lbs of meat 10 hours from home when it's 25-30 degrees out? I am also doing the same trip, but with a 300 WSM and a marlin 45/70. Are there some "no ATV" areas up there?

You drive to Hunnifords and get it cut/wrapped/frozen for the trip home...and continue to hunt with your buddies while it is being taken care of for you !!!

thatskindafunny
07-18-2007, 06:56 AM
1000-1500 feet of straw line. This in 100 foot lenghts. Loops on each end. A whole bunch of small shackels to hook each length together as you need them. A snatch block or two. If you can't reach them with a straw line good luck. Best to take the horns off before you start hauling. We had a moose that was only 20 feet off the road down hill and without the straw line it would of take a couple hours to get him out. Hook the moose around the neck with a half hitch around his nose. If you don't put a half hitch around his nose it's like trying to pull out a rototiller. 600 feet of straw line fits in a small plastic grocery bag. :mrgreen:

07-18-2007, 07:04 AM
yes they float and no don,t shoot them in the water,too much work.

Have read that before, but from my own experiences, the two l pulled through water to get them to the road came across with only the rope showing.
Agree with the snatch block (we carry two), lots of rope (1000 ft), knives (and ability to sharpen), radio communication if your pulling from a distance, and if none of the above........good pack board!! :)
If you do get a chance to fill your tag, don't be surprised and think you missed if your swamp donkey doesn't go down immediately or react like a deer when hit. They are big animals and can suck up lead without showing too much reaction. I have seen them dead on their feet with a shot through the vitals and just keep walking till they suddenly pile up. Also go aim for the boiler room if you get a shot, even with your sized rifles, the meat damage is minimal and its the most certain shot for a quick kill.

CanuckShooter
07-18-2007, 07:09 AM
[QUOTE=Deerwhacker;167762]
[QUOTE]

1> A good bone saw, moose are heavy and you'll want to quarter the animal and separate the antlers from the head.

2> Game bags, depending on where you skin the animal they will help keep your meat clean and lighten the load by allowing you to skin the animal in the field.

3> Chain saw, 12" spikes, long ladder, for building that meat pole at least twelve feet up in the air....NE of PG there are piles of grizzly bears that love to cherry pick meat poles.:mrgreen:

SavageShooter
07-18-2007, 08:47 AM
Sorry for a bit of a tangent guys.

When you mention using a Straw Line what is it?
I have always assumed small diameter aircraft cable. What material & diameter is the stuff you use?

THanks,

SS

Mik
07-18-2007, 11:51 AM
I have seen some people use a small chainsaw to quarter the moose. They fill the oil compartment with "Vegetable Oil". I helped a guy last year and it is fast. It gets quite messy, so this guy was dressed in RainGear to keep clean.8) Thats what I will use this year!

As for floating the moose, yes they do but once you get close to shore it can get pretty rough depending on the shoreline.ie; muddy/boggy/grassy, how high the banks are is it shallow or is there a drop off...all this should be considered.

I have knocked all mine down with a 30-06, 165 gr. core-lokt.Good Luck.

hunter1947
07-18-2007, 12:06 PM
I have seen some people use a small chainsaw to quarter the moose. They fill the oil compartment with "Vegetable Oil". I helped a guy last year and it is fast. It gets quite messy, so this guy was dressed in RainGear to keep clean.8) Thats what I will use this year!

As for floating the moose, yes they do but once you get close to shore it can get pretty rough depending on the shoreline.ie; muddy/boggy/grassy, how high the banks are is it shallow or is there a drop off...all this should be considered.

I have knocked all mine down with a 30-06, 165 gr. core-lokt.Good Luck.
Yes you are right Mil ,i HAVE BEEN USING THE CHAIN SAW THING FOR 45 YEARS ,I HAVE NEVER HAD A PIEACE OF BONE IN MY BACK STRAPS EVER ,GOOD POINT ,:wink:

Ehv
07-18-2007, 12:34 PM
Overthetop

There are some ATV restrictions in 7A laid out in the regs. but there doesn't appear to be any in 7-16

MichelD
07-18-2007, 12:58 PM
Strawline is 1/4-inch logging cable.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I was a boom man not in the rigging back in the day.

Schmaus
07-18-2007, 01:47 PM
7-16 is a good place to hunt no quad restrictions. I hunt on the North Fraser a ton. I use a p-saw to quarter my moose no messin around with a hand saw or axe, you'd be there for an hour. Lots of rope/cable, muscle and good knives are a neccesity. Buy a black bear tag if you are interested in a bear there is usually no shortage of them, maybe a whitetail tag they are growing in population out there. PM me if you want more details

overthetop
07-18-2007, 09:47 PM
Isn't shooting them in water against the rules? Or is that just if they are swimming?

SHAKER
07-19-2007, 01:40 PM
The most important tools are Rope (and lots of it) and a dog leash!

Why the dog leash?.............

Tie one end around your neck and the other to your truck mirror. That way you don't end up too far from the road.:wink:

GoatGuy
07-19-2007, 02:30 PM
I go gutless - somebody should have a link. Basically skin and quarter - go in through the ribs for the tenderloin, grab the backstraps, cut the burger meat (neck, trim etc.,) off and you're on your way. If you want to clean the ribs out go to town. It's the only way to do a moose - if we have daylight left we'll debone everything on the spot too. Doesn't take much time and makes moose very manageable even for one guy.

I'm not a big fan of bone dust in my meat and as a result stick strictly to bringing a couple knives. See the saw method several times and it works well just not for me.

Yes moose float very well-hunting on lakes is one of the best ways to go.

As far as gear goes all you need is a come-along and maybe 100 ft of rope to get the moose on shore if it expired in the water. Otherwise a couple knives, a moose tag a packframe and you're off to the races. Oh, don't forget some rubber boots! Even the best goretex will start to leak a after a couple of days of wandering around in the swamps.:eek:

We also use feed bags for packing meat out instead of game bags - they don't stretch, are tough as nails and you can wash them out right away.

Good luck and have fun.

shoot miss shoot again
07-25-2007, 12:33 AM
i use a fish tote with lotsa ice good for up to a week a will hold a bull as well as a couple bucks

30-06
07-25-2007, 01:04 AM
quads are very help full .this year in region 7-8 we bagged 2 moose. we drug both out to the road and loaded them whole.one in are pick up .the other one in the other pick up...gutted and the head cut off of course

mrdoog
07-25-2007, 02:12 AM
Ummmmmm, hunter1947 said "snatch", that's a dirty word.