PDA

View Full Version : Newb question about tags

Mikey66
04-01-2017, 07:25 PM
Hi all,
long time lurker, first time poster so sorry about the dumb question:
I have been hunting small game for a while, but this year I am ready to get a deer tag. I won't be able to take more than one (small apartment, small freezer etc) so I just want one tag.
The areas I am familiar with are 2-6, 2-11, 2-18 (mule deer only) and 3-15, 3-32, 3-33 (easier for white tail). Can only do one day trips.
What tag should I get, and where am I more likely to succeed as a deer newb?
Any help much appreciated.

bigredchev
04-01-2017, 07:35 PM
Get both to cover your arse and hit the ground running. Carry max tags for options. You never know when you will bump into a secondary target species and if you do find one in your scope, that tag price was not even a thought

RackStar
04-01-2017, 08:24 PM
One of each deer.
But don't forget with the new online system they added grouse and rabbit to the tag system.
Dont forget your grouse tags.
Good luck.
If I could only get one deer tag it would be mule deer.

ajr5406
04-01-2017, 08:40 PM
Get both for sure. I only had a mule tag last year and saw an nice white tail that I couldn't go after.

Worst case scenario is you consider your "wasted tag" a donation to wildlife conservation in BC.

HarryToolips
04-01-2017, 10:09 PM
get both to cover your arse and hit the ground running. Carry max tags for options. You never know when you will bump into a secondary target species and if you do find one in your scope, that tag price was not even a thought
x2...........

shortrange
04-01-2017, 10:56 PM
Can only do one day trips.

There just aren't places you can drive to in a day from the LML where you won't be bumping up against a bunch of other hunters and where there are still plentiful deer. Had you thought about mid-island? Lots more deer and less competition. It can can be done in a day if you take the late ferry the night before and nap in the car until dawn when the deer come out :).

hoochie
04-01-2017, 11:47 PM
last season on 2 separate 1 day trips, we were successful with mule deer, and missed opportunities with some white tail. Went from Abby to kamloops and back; dropped off deer to butcher in Chilliwack, and was back well before dinner time.
Get your scouting done in the summer... learn where you are going to go. Plan for extra time to get out if you have a deer.

Mikey66
04-02-2017, 09:19 AM
One of each deer.
But don't forget with the new online system they added grouse and rabbit to the tag system.
Dont forget your grouse tags.

Not eligible for grouse tags this year since I failed to tag out last season.
Good advice though about getting tags for both deer species, at $15 each I guess I was over thinking it. Best be prepared.
One day trips are a bit of a stretch but I don't mind if I come up empty. I just like being out there.

Bigd74
04-02-2017, 03:23 PM
Not eligible for grouse tags this year since I failed to tag out last season.
Good advice though about getting tags for both deer species, at $15 each I guess I was over thinking it. Best be prepared.
One day trips are a bit of a stretch but I don't mind if I come up empty. I just like being out there.

What do do you mean don't qualify because you didn't tag out last year?

hoochie
04-02-2017, 10:12 PM

are you hearing crickets too?

Fella
04-02-2017, 10:50 PM
New rules, if you don't fill your grouse tags last year you have to wait till fall 2018 to be eligible for tags again.

walks with deer
04-04-2017, 05:08 PM
Yup I had to push hard to fill my last one..wooh happy I can still go for grouse

Billybird
04-05-2017, 10:26 AM
Was just looking at the FWID site and can't seem to even find the option for either rabbit or grouse tags? Everything else yes but nothing the them. Anyone have any idea where to look?

Trigger Happy
04-10-2017, 01:55 AM
Ask a friend these questions, these guys on here are out to bully and poke fun like high school kids. Every year someone is duked into thinking there are tags for grouse and it's getting really stupid, pathetic and a total lack of leadership to new hunters. There's having a good time and then there's bullying. Have any questions in the future bro give me a pm. Unbelievable!

Eagle2
04-10-2017, 10:57 AM
^^
What Trigger Happy said.

russm
04-10-2017, 11:29 AM
Ask a friend these questions, these guys on here are out to bully and poke fun like high school kids. Every year someone is duked into thinking there are tags for grouse and it's getting really stupid, pathetic and a total lack of leadership to new hunters. There's having a good time and then there's bullying. Have any questions in the future bro give me a pm. Unbelievable!

Its up to the individual to know what you do and don't need tags for, as a matter of fact there's a book that tells you everything you need to know.

walks with deer
04-10-2017, 11:51 AM
Wow bullying is strong I would say hazing is more appropriate.

Hublocker
04-10-2017, 03:47 PM
I don't know why nobody else mentioned this, but 3-15, 3-32 and 3-33 and probably among the most unlikely places in BC that you would see a whitetail deer.

Buy both tags just to make sure, but if you're really interested in whitetail deer, you should probably go to whitetail deer country, and that is more than a day trip away unless you like traveling all night both ways.

Mikey66
04-10-2017, 06:55 PM
I don't know why nobody else mentioned this, but 3-15, 3-32 and 3-33 and probably among the most unlikely places in BC that you would see a whitetail

Thanks for the info. Those are the areas I am familiar with, so that is where I wanted to focus. I will have to rethink that a bit now.

By the way I did not feel bullied by the grouse tag reply to my post, just a bit of fun. It seems to be a tradition on this site and I was ready for it.