PDA

View Full Version : Any other muzzleloader hunters around

Wild one
04-01-2017, 10:57 AM
Muzzleloader hunting is something I picked up a few years back and find myself enjoying more and more. This spring will be grizz/black bear hunting with my muzzleloader and debating on using it for all my big game hunting this season.

It is a bit of a pain picking up supplies in BC and often get met by a stunned look when asking for them at any sporting goods stores. Usually get met with there is no special season for it in BC so no intrest. No real surprise as I can't say I have run into anyone hunting with a muzzleloader outside of my 1 partner.

As my intrest in hunting with a muzzleloader grows I wonder how many others in BC hunt with one?

btridge
04-01-2017, 12:01 PM
wholesale sports in Calgary usually has a good selection of muzzle loader gear and supplies.

ROY-alty33
04-01-2017, 12:25 PM
Did a bit a long time ago in Ontario. BC has always deterred me from trying as blackpowder is so hydro phobic.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
04-01-2017, 01:31 PM
I enjoy shooting black powder and muzzleloaders. That said, I have yet to Hunt with this equipment but do have an interest in doing so and am looking forward to trying it out at some time in the future.

Wild one
04-01-2017, 01:43 PM
Btrige I often resort to ordering from the 3 big box stores as they hold a good selection in there stores outside of BC

Wild one
04-01-2017, 01:45 PM
Did a bit a long time ago in Ontario. BC has always deterred me from trying as blackpowder is so hydro phobic.

Had no issue yet but have worried on rainy days. So far tape over the muzzle has worked

One Shot
04-01-2017, 02:09 PM
I have hunted a considerable amount with traditional muzzleloaders over the years from squirrels to grizzly bears. Any North American game can be taken with a ML. Components are some what harder to find these days but are available if you know where.

What is it you are looking for?

Wild one
04-01-2017, 02:35 PM
I have hunted a considerable amount with traditional muzzleloaders over the years from squirrels to grizzly bears. Any North American game can be taken with a ML. Components are some what harder to find these days but are available if you know where.

What is it you are looking for?

Placed my order already nothing special just basics bore butter, heavy grain bullet/sabot, and a few cleaning supplies. I can find powder pellets and primers at whole sale in PG but nothing else around here

do you still hunt with muzzleloader?

James52
04-01-2017, 03:03 PM
In the process of building one right now…….almost finished…..hope to use it this hunting season……never even fired one before , but was always interested in it!!

kgs
04-01-2017, 04:02 PM
Just bought one myself 2 months a ago. Yes a big pain locating things I needed and never realized that it costs more to get sabots and bullets and you get less for your buck however have melted some conical and round balls. Bought a decent scope and ready sight it in. Would you believe I have yet to fire it. I do have some experience I shoot a 1858 Remington. Still have lots to learn. I asked about getting black powder thread for this site but was told there was no interest. Been on gunnutz and the guys there are amazing and knowledgeable they have helped me lots. Powder is easy to find and primers and contacted circle fly wads and ordered 3000 wads very reasonable 51 US shipped also found kamloops wholesale has most of what I needed seems they always have a steady supply. I wish PG Wholesale could get their shit together and keep things in stock on a more regular basis. Actually wish we had a Cabelas here instead of wholesale.

Camp Cook
04-01-2017, 06:19 PM
Several years ago I purchased a rare Gonic 50 cal magnum barrel for my T/C Contender carbines was also able to find about 500 sabots that take .429 44 mag bullets as well as a mold and appr 30 heavy (can't remember the weight right now) Gonic muzzle loading bullets.

I worked up loads but have not had a chance to hunt with it yet gives excellent 100 yard accuracy though.

Wild one
04-01-2017, 06:40 PM
Several years ago I purchased a rare Gonic 50 cal magnum barrel for my T/C Contender carbines was also able to find about 500 sabots that take .429 44 mag bullets as well as a mold and appr 30 heavy (can't remember the weight right now) Gonic muzzle loading bullets.

I worked up loads but have not had a chance to hunt with it yet gives excellent 100 yard accuracy though.

I have only shot T/C inline muzzleloaders and I have been impressed with accuracy at 150yards or less

They also knock down deer well

IronNoggin
04-02-2017, 05:31 PM
Hunted with them for about 15 or so years back in Saskatchewan.
Everything from traditional Kentucky Long Rifles to modern Knight Master Hunter inlines.
Mostly whitetails, but a few mulies and moose as well.

Gave it up when we wandered to the Arctic, no season advantage there.
And although Pa still hangs onto a couple of mine and I could get them back quickly, I really don't see why here in BC. No season advantage thing again, and these days I tend to prefer the crossbow over much else...

Cheers,
Nog

Wild one
04-02-2017, 06:26 PM
Hunted with them for about 15 or so years back in Saskatchewan.
Everything from traditional Kentucky Long Rifles to modern Knight Master Hunter inlines.
Mostly whitetails, but a few mulies and moose as well.

Gave it up when we wandered to the Arctic, no season advantage there.
And although Pa still hangs onto a couple of mine and I could get them back quickly, I really don't see why here in BC. No season advantage thing again, and these days I tend to prefer the crossbow over much else...

Cheers,
Nog

I know many choose to only pick the weapon they hunt with according the limits of the season or location. I have always just used whatever seemed fun and legal for that hunt. Enjoy the hunt probably more than success and the different weapons just add something to it.

Maybe I am just a strange hunter that likes to hunt with strange weapons lol