PDA

View Full Version : new licence system is up and running

tikkahunter
03-31-2017, 12:25 PM
Just checked to see if the online licence was ready yet, and sure enough, it's up and running. Very easy to use and navigate. Tags are purchased after you have bought your licence, and again, easy to do.

russm86
03-31-2017, 12:32 PM
I bought the hard copy booklet license and bear tags already because I didn't want to trust waiting for a potentially buggy system and then another 3 weeks for the tags to arrive, but signed in to see if I could order my deer licenses for the coming year. Well, it does not recognize that I already have a valid hunting 2017/18 license (booklet) so wants me to buy a new one... Nice to see the system is already failing/broken... Unless it isn't showing because it isn't actually valid until tomorrow but then I imagine you would have had the same problem buying your tags...

I have a funny feeling that those who buy the booklet hunting license will have to stick with the old style tags for everything this year and won't be able to get the new tags at all...

tikkahunter
03-31-2017, 12:40 PM
I did the same thing for myself, bought my book and a few tags a few days ago (bought my wifes online today). I was told it would take a few days for your purchased licence and tags to show up in my profile. I'm not going to say its broken yet, i'll give it a few days. I understand we will be able to buy online tags even if we already bought the book.

Linksman313
03-31-2017, 12:42 PM
[QUOTE=russm86;1893649
I have a funny feeling that those who buy the booklet hunting license will have to stick with the old style tags for everything this year and won't be able to get the new tags at all...[/QUOTE]

And the problem with that is? Not sure as I checked pricing for tags and so far it's the same online as in store. Russ is there something we should know about pertaining to the differences between the two, I bought all my tags already for the year in the old paper booklet?
P.S. just spoke with Services Canada locally stated online system not ready to go fully until May 1st now?

tikkahunter
03-31-2017, 12:45 PM
Don't know what's not fully ready about it. I was able to do everything that I needed to do. Bear, deer, moose, caribou, goat, and sheep tags.

Linksman313
03-31-2017, 12:49 PM
Hmmm maybe the service clerk at SC hasn't got the press release yet way out here in the boonies.
What Tikka - no elk? lols

Travalanche
03-31-2017, 12:52 PM
Worked for me today too, super easy. I'm a fan. I don't see any issue with the new system yet. The LEH is super easy as well and if I can avoid going to the service BC counter, I'm a happy man!

03-31-2017, 12:54 PM
who has a link? I cant even find the place....

BRvalley
03-31-2017, 01:02 PM
Most of it seems like improvement, but the real test will be how quickly you get your tags mailed after purchasing online, that seems like the Achilles heel...

Stroodle
03-31-2017, 01:06 PM
Just put mine through - now to see how long it takes - at least I'm not in a hurry!

Buck
03-31-2017, 01:11 PM
Bought the license where are the species tags?

Got it had pop ups blocked.

Philcott
03-31-2017, 01:13 PM
If you are in a hurry, once it's up and running, you will be able to go into a service Canada location and get your tags right away. You'll have to buy them there though, not online.

Plan a little ahead and you should have no problems. Wait until the last minute and you might have issues like some had with LEH last year.

03-31-2017, 01:15 PM
I just bought mine.... we will see how long it takes! lol...

palmer
03-31-2017, 01:17 PM
SHOCKED...worked great and very simply...go in and buy your licence and then go back in and buy the tags...
If they get here in a good time....I will be very happy

Travalanche
03-31-2017, 01:41 PM
Step by step instructions for the entire online process.

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/fishing-hunting/hunting/about-bc-hunting-online

nazarow
03-31-2017, 01:54 PM
Worked great!

tikkahunter
03-31-2017, 02:03 PM
Didn't say anything about my tags did I Links?! :roll:

Sharpish
03-31-2017, 02:08 PM
Why can't you just print the tags? That would make more sense.

wideopenthrottle
03-31-2017, 02:17 PM
they send you waterproof paper i hope

Travalanche
03-31-2017, 02:20 PM
Why can't you just print the tags? That would make more sense.

Probably so that people can't shoot an animal, cancel the tag, go home and throw it in the garbage and print another one then go shoot another animal.

Linksman313
03-31-2017, 02:48 PM
Didn't say anything about my tags did I Links?! :roll:
I was just joking, looked like you had your hands full with some big plans this year already lols

Weatherby Fan
03-31-2017, 02:53 PM
all good, licence&tags ! simple to use now just to wait until they arrive.

russm86
03-31-2017, 03:07 PM
I did the same thing for myself, bought my book and a few tags a few days ago (bought my wifes online today). I was told it would take a few days for your purchased licence and tags to show up in my profile. I'm not going to say its broken yet, i'll give it a few days. I understand we will be able to buy online tags even if we already bought the book.

Well, I've had mine for a few weeks already and they aren't up on the online system so not likely a few days... lol

russm86
03-31-2017, 03:13 PM
And the problem with that is? Not sure as I checked pricing for tags and so far it's the same online as in store. Russ is there something we should know about pertaining to the differences between the two, I bought all my tags already for the year in the old paper booklet?
P.S. just spoke with Services Canada locally stated online system not ready to go fully until May 1st now?

Pricing is the same, biggest difference is availability as the place I bought my booklet and sticker tags said they only had limited quantities of the booklets and certain species tags and would only have the old type until the vendor system is up and running online at which time they will switch to the new individual species tags. So if I'm not going to be able to buy the tags online because I have the booklet and the stupid website doesn't recognize that I already have an annual hunting license then I'm going to have to go and buy the rest of my species tags for my booklet before they are sold out or change over to the new ones, so it would be nice to know before it's too late and I can't get my deer tags etc...

charlie_horse
03-31-2017, 03:47 PM
So if I buy online I need to wait for a physical tag in the mail? Are my hopes for going out for bear tomorrow shattered?

LupieHunter
03-31-2017, 04:23 PM
Yes, if you buy online your tags will be mailed to you. Only way to get tags immediately is to go to a vendor. As for
tomorrow, you'd need to find a vendor that has the old style booklets and tags.

dru88
03-31-2017, 04:32 PM
I believe you can buy your license online and then go to a vendor to buy tags.

wideopenthrottle
03-31-2017, 04:43 PM
now i am not sure what to do...i dont plan on hunting spring bear so waiting for tags is no big deal...but i like to be carrying tags for anything open if i am in the woods target shooting no matter the time of year....when in the woods with a gun i would rather not not have to debate with a CO whether i was hunting or not..

Slinky Pickle
03-31-2017, 04:46 PM
I just purchased mine online and is was smooth and painless. The only issue I had was the limit of 3 deer tags. I have always purchased 2 mule deer tags and 2 whitetail tags knowing full well that I could only use 3 of them. I just want to make sure that if something unexpected happens, I have a tag in my picket to cover it. I know I'll throw one out but it's just more flexible. I hope they allow this soon.

LYKTOHUNT
03-31-2017, 05:02 PM
So is this just for general hunting license and tags but not yet for LEH?

Wheelin Sportsman
03-31-2017, 05:31 PM
I just purchased mine online and is was smooth and painless. The only issue I had was the limit of 3 deer tags. I have always purchased 2 mule deer tags and 2 whitetail tags knowing full well that I could only use 3 of them. I just want to make sure that if something unexpected happens, I have a tag in my picket to cover it. I know I'll throw one out but it's just more flexible. I hope they allow this soon.

Where did you find the species tags? License was no sweat but I cant find the species tags to buy.

Riverratz
03-31-2017, 05:33 PM
Just did mine.........license & 5 tags all at the same time......took about 3-4 minutes in total.
Easy to navigate, easy to use.
Done, printed out my receipt, just have to wait for species tags in the mail.
I'm impressed despite my reservations and doubts leading up to it.

Pretty obvious why we can't print out our own species tags........prevents the unscrupulous from printing out multiple copies of a tag.

LEH "choices" not available yet.

Wheelin Sportsman
03-31-2017, 05:46 PM
Where did you find the species tags? License was no sweat but I cant find the species tags to buy.

/\
l
l
Dumbass! Figured it, like it.

RossP
03-31-2017, 06:08 PM
Easy got mine done in a few minutes. I think they might have done something right....

northernguy
03-31-2017, 06:33 PM
How come my species tag options all show that they "end Mach 31 2017". Does that mean they are only valid to March 31 2017? The wording is not real clear.

Slinky Pickle
03-31-2017, 06:38 PM
How come my species tag options all show that they "end Mach 31 2017". Does that mean they are only valid to March 31 2017? The wording is not real clear.

Sounds like you might have bought the 2016/2017 license instead of 2017/2018. It's kind of stupid to have them both there but you have to watch for that.

Surrey Boy
03-31-2017, 06:53 PM
Probably so that people can't shoot an animal, cancel the tag, go home and throw it in the garbage and print another one then go shoot another animal.

Like you can do with fishing licences?

Lastcar
03-31-2017, 08:06 PM

Sounds like you might have bought the 2016/2017 license instead of 2017/2018. It's kind of stupid to have them both there but you have to watch for that.

If you are referencing the fact both years show in the drop down when buying a license, it makes sense both are there.

2016-2017 hunting season wasn't over until about 10 minutes ago when last light came and went. So in theory someone wanting to go out and hunting something in season today could have bought their 2016-2017 license so they could hunt.

I suspect 2016-2017 won't be an option tomorrow, or maybe come Monday if they have to manually remove it.

If you are looking under "License History" it shows last years license and tags. I thought something was fishy and then realized the newest are at the bottom of the list.

Slinky Pickle
03-31-2017, 08:41 PM
2016-2017 hunting season wasn't over until about 10 minutes ago when last light came and went. So in theory someone wanting to go out and hunting something in season today could have bought their 2016-2017 license so they could hunt.

I understand why it was there but it just seems odd to unveil a brand new online system that was promised for the 2017/2018 season and then allow you to select a license for the previous year. I think it would be in their best interest to make this transition as smooth as possible and throwing an option in the could accidentally be selected by those just trying figure this new system seems a bit foolish.

The Hermit
03-31-2017, 09:18 PM
Cool. I check this yesterday and it wasn't up. Just bought the license and a bear tag! First time as a senior $7.35 gotta like that!s

Badlands62
03-31-2017, 09:47 PM
Purchased my license and tags last week at Service BC, just checked online on my profile and sure enough all tags are there.

Squamch
04-01-2017, 08:06 AM
I just bought the booklet and all my tags yesterday. 2 deer, cat and bear. I'm not taking chances with the online system. I'll try it next year if I must.

Travalanche
04-01-2017, 08:28 AM

Ya I suppose for you guys on the coast that applies for salmon fishing doesn't it? Us interior creatures don't have to track anything on our fishing licenses.

BCHoyt
04-01-2017, 08:32 AM
Purchased my license and tags last week at Service BC, just checked online on my profile and sure enough all tags are there.

Not for me yet... Hoping its linked up soon, I still have tags to buy for fall.

Fallkniven
04-01-2017, 04:03 PM
I can't seem to sign in, I guess this system is down for the weekend?

Firstblood
04-01-2017, 04:53 PM
Just did it, bought all my tags for the year in 2 minutes flat. Saves waiting in line, saves Wholesale running out of extra pages or running out of tags, saves me effort.

Does any body ever get a bear on opening day? Up in my woods I'll be waiting a least 3 weeks before the bears are really out and about in the loops.

The new tags are tear proof and water proof, no issues with it getting wet or ruined while hunting and finding out after you've downed game. Try telling the CO the paper mush is a moose tag haha or stapled pages falling out of the book.

I like it, already have my LEH choices written out and will apply for all my LEH tags the day the system is open and running. Leaving it till last minute to buy tags or apply for LEH and having the system crash is not the governments fault its yours and I speak from experiencing the last day of LEH applications last year.

Sharpish
04-02-2017, 09:17 AM

Whats to stop someone from photo copying the mailed copy? Is it on special paper, does it have embossing or special coloured ink or holograms? Probably not. It's going to be black and white on shitty paper.

REMINGTON JIM
04-02-2017, 09:34 AM
I Bought my New licence at the local Sporting Goods store yesterday along with a Black Bear tag -I Guess it will be the LAST of the Booklet type licences . I will have to add deer etc tags from off the net after it gets going ! :shock: RJ

Travalanche
04-02-2017, 09:50 AM
Just did it, bought all my tags for the year in 2 minutes flat. Saves waiting in line, saves Wholesale running out of extra pages or running out of tags, saves me effort.

Does any body ever get a bear on opening day? Up in my woods I'll be waiting a least 3 weeks before the bears are really out and about in the loops.

The new tags are tear proof and water proof, no issues with it getting wet or ruined while hunting and finding out after you've downed game. Try telling the CO the paper mush is a moose tag haha or stapled pages falling out of the book.

I like it, already have my LEH choices written out and will apply for all my LEH tags the day the system is open and running. Leaving it till last minute to buy tags or apply for LEH and having the system crash is not the governments fault its yours and I speak from experiencing the last day of LEH applications last year.

Where did you find out about the tags being tear and waterproof? I've been looking for more info on that but can't seem to find it. Thanks.

Mik
04-02-2017, 10:56 AM
With this being an online system it seems that it is pointless if one cannot print the tags instantly. Why on Gods earth would you have to wait for tags to be delivered by snail mail ��

Wild one
04-02-2017, 11:04 AM
Anyone receive tags in the mail yet?

the wait for tags by mail is my one concern with this new system

Some say buy tags well ahead of time but I have had unexpected opportunities to hunt an unplanned species with very short notice in the past. Don't see tags showing up within 3-4 days and have had this kind of short notice in the past

LupieHunter
04-02-2017, 12:09 PM

Some say buy tags well ahead of time but I have had unexpected opportunities to hunt an unplanned species with very short notice in the past. Don't see tags showing up within 3-4 days and have had this kind of short notice in the past

You will still be able to buy tags at vendors and receive them right away.

LupieHunter
04-02-2017, 12:10 PM
Where did you find out about the tags being tear and waterproof? I've been looking for more info on that but can't seem to find it. Thanks.
There were samples at the BC Boat and Sportsman's show at the beginning of March.

Wentrot
04-02-2017, 02:04 PM
You will still be able to buy tags at vendors and receive them right away.

I tried two vendors with no luck.

LupieHunter
04-02-2017, 03:40 PM
I tried two vendors with no luck.
Not every vendor has the old booklets for this year. As far as the new tags go, not sure what's taking so long to get the vendors set up with them.

Rhyno
04-02-2017, 03:52 PM
With this being an online system it seems that it is pointless if one cannot print the tags instantly. Why on Gods earth would you have to wait for tags to be delivered by snail mail ��

If you don't have the time to wait I believe Service BC will be able to print them right away.

Stone C. Killer
04-02-2017, 04:39 PM
Was able to purchase all my tags and license just now. Unfortunately it would seem that the leh application division is not working....

Rhyno
04-02-2017, 05:29 PM
Was able to purchase all my tags and license just now. Unfortunately it would seem that the leh application division is not working....

They said mid April for LEH.

Wentrot
04-02-2017, 05:40 PM
Not every vendor has the old booklets for this year. As far as the new tags go, not sure what's taking so long to get the vendors set up with them.

I got my license online. Was hoping for the new tag in store but was told at both places it's not possible. No big deal now, came home and bought me online so will just wait for the mailman

New Bow Hunter
04-05-2017, 02:52 PM
LEH is not available until April 16th. I was informed of this when I made an inquiry by phone this morning.

Wentrot
04-05-2017, 03:12 PM
LEH is not available until April 16th. I was informed of this when I made an inquiry by phone this morning.

Says er right on the site lol

wifigary
04-07-2017, 08:46 AM
I purchased a couple deer tags, bear and the base license on Mar 31, still no tags by snail mail yet (1 week later). Still a possibility today in the mail but not holding my breath on being able to go out this weekend.

Byknight
04-07-2017, 09:20 AM
It would be nice if you could print a copy of your tag out since they have a QR code on them that can be searched and linked to your licence by CO's.

Billybird
04-07-2017, 09:32 AM
Purchased both my annual license and spring bear tags last Friday ( March 31st) tags were in my mailbox yesterday when I got home!

Philcott
04-07-2017, 11:01 AM
It would be nice if you could print a copy of your tag out since they have a QR code on them that can be searched and linked to your licence by CO's.

But what would stop someone from making numerous copies of the tag?

Slinky Pickle
04-07-2017, 11:36 AM
Just got all my tags in the mail. That's 7 days total from the time I clicked on the website to the time I received them. Not too bad I don't think.

Hank Hunter
04-07-2017, 11:46 AM
Bought mine on Monday. Got my tags today.

mike-juliet
04-07-2017, 12:06 PM
Bought mine on Monday. Got my tags today.

Bought mine Monday as well, I will check the mail today and hope to have them.

Wentrot
04-07-2017, 12:17 PM
Been waiting all week to so hopefully see em today. I'm doubtful lol

Riverratz
04-07-2017, 12:33 PM
Ordered my license and tags on Mar. 31, very easy process.
Arrived in the mail today, Apr. 7.

Tags are plastic......rip-proof and water-proof, no way anyone will be "copying" them.

From start to finish I'm impressed, no complaints from me.

RossP
04-07-2017, 12:35 PM
Purchased my bear tag on March 31, got it in the mail yesterday, less than a week, pretty good for the government.

Ferenc
04-07-2017, 12:48 PM
What size are these plastic tags... do they look like the ones issued
in the old booklet style

Riverratz
04-07-2017, 12:55 PM
What size are these plastic tags... do they look like the ones issued
in the old booklet style

Pretty much identical to the old tags in the booklet with the cut out notches around the edge.
Same length but slightly wider.
Plasticized, way more durable than the old paper booklet style.

Each tag is clearly marked for each species, your FWID, 2017/2018, and a bar code.
No more "stamp".

Ferenc
04-07-2017, 01:10 PM
Sounds good..aside from the virtual hunting license.. just this tag will required in possession while hunting big game.

Fisher-Dude
04-07-2017, 01:12 PM
Both my and the wife's tags in the mailbox today.

Best licence and tag buying experience I've had since the first one >40 years ago.

mike-juliet
04-07-2017, 03:24 PM
Ordered Monday, Arrived today. Impressed.

sammy-j-peppers
04-07-2017, 03:51 PM
purchased bear tag on the 1st and have not received it yet in reg. 3

tyler-brown
04-07-2017, 05:25 PM
Seemed easy enough to find my way around. Bought my license and tags today. See how long they take for me for ordering on a Friday.
Wish the fishing liscense was tied into this system as well so you could do it all in one place, and one purchase.

oilcountry
04-07-2017, 07:14 PM
Ordered tags on the 3rd and the showed up today

donny.brooke
04-07-2017, 07:37 PM
Ordered tags on the 3rd and the showed up today

Same for me

Jal
04-11-2017, 12:01 PM
Those tags look great. I'm planning to mount my tags on the wall.

wideopenthrottle
04-11-2017, 12:09 PM
Those tags look great. I'm planning to mount my tags on the wall.

where is the best POI to get a clean kill on the tag...who does taxidermy on the tags?...heheheh

J_T
04-11-2017, 12:32 PM
^^ No such thing as 'tags' any longer, they are referred to as "Species Licence". I bought my hunting licence and bear species licence last week. Quite painless. Definitely a few issues to refine and work out in the next release.

Moe.JKU
04-11-2017, 12:32 PM
works well for me, surprised it took so long to set up a system like this. Now to see if they get here before the long weekend or no, just in case I get bored and want to go for a wander in the woods.

AgSilver
04-11-2017, 12:47 PM

I just ran into this as well. So instead of ordering 4 tags, I'm ordering 2 so that I can pick which extra one I want to add on later (unless they fix it in the meantime).

wideopenthrottle
04-11-2017, 01:02 PM
I imagine some of you folks have emailed them to point out this deficiency?

AgSilver
04-11-2017, 03:29 PM
Yep, I did

AgSilver
04-11-2017, 03:41 PM
Which, by the way, the automatic email received had this tidbit therein:

The 2017 Fall LEH draw will open, Wednesday April 12th at noon and applications will be accepted until 11:59 pm May 26th, 2017.

Slinky Pickle
04-11-2017, 05:53 PM
I imagine some of you folks have emailed them to point out this deficiency?

I did but I don't have much faith in getting a response because the only email address I found was the generic front counter email address. We'll see what happens.

finngun
04-11-2017, 08:07 PM
ahh old bc access centre and pretty girl,,[do i need new glasses] works well with my hunting--fishing licence..bear tag ..no problem...how about leh...computer work i guess??:roll:

Slinky Pickle
04-12-2017, 11:48 AM
An update.

I just received an email from Fish & Wildlife saying that they have identified this as an issue and it will be changed/fixed before deer season.

That's a pretty reasonable response I think.

AgSilver
04-12-2017, 01:50 PM
^ Agreed...nice that they even responded at all, quite frankly.

I got the same note 20 minutes ago:

You aren’t the first person to ask this question. Fish & Wildlife Branch is aware of the situation and stated the following in response:

We have identified this issue and we have put it in to be amended, however it won’t be in the too near future but it will be in time for Deer season.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks!

evhunter
04-15-2017, 10:29 PM
Interesting reading other people's experience. I Bought my hunting licence and a black bear species licence (tag) online on March 31st. Still no tag in the mail. My account says it was issued on the 31st, meaning I paid for it then, I think. I was given an 800# to call on Thursday, the 13th. Service BC... Talked with a young woman who had no answers for me, doesn't know if in fact one was issued to me or not and no way of tracking. Her advice to me was to buy a second tag.... the old booklet system from service BC. I told her "no, I've purchased a tag, I expect 2 weeks is long enough to wait"... Again, no answer. I told her that I'd call her back if I kill a bear, she can dig up my tag and cancel it for me...

palmer
04-15-2017, 10:49 PM
My tags took about 6 days and were in my hand....