PDA

View Full Version : Best/Most durable arrow setup for stump shooting w/compound

Ryo
03-31-2017, 09:03 AM
I've been eyeing compound bows for a while and finally picked up a Bear Cruzer the other day (Wholesale Sports sale: $270 + 6 gold tip arrows free, not advertised in store but they'll honour the online price). I was wondering what people use for general woods walking plinking at random clumps and stumps. I'm not there yet, but I'm thinking ahead.

whitlers
03-31-2017, 10:48 AM
Hmmm wouldn't recommend that. Why not set up a target in the woods and approach it from different angles for practice.

Any carbon arrow won't like being shot into a tree and removed process repeated. Dangers here are hairline cracks that you can not see but if you don't check your arrow before you shoot and it breaks you are going to have a very bad day..

allan
03-31-2017, 11:14 AM
Hmmm wouldn't recommend that. Why not set up a target in the woods and approach it from different angles for practice.

Any carbon arrow won't like being shot into a tree and removed process repeated. Dangers here are hairline cracks that you can not see but if you don't check your arrow before you shoot and it breaks you are going to have a very bad day..

this x2!! You need to buy a target,

Andrewh
03-31-2017, 07:46 PM
buy a recurve and shoot all the stumps you want!

Busterpayton54
04-01-2017, 11:31 AM
Yikes. This is how you send half a shaft through your wrist.

Ryo
04-01-2017, 02:07 PM
Thanks guys. I didn't realize you couldn't play with compounds and carbon fibre the way you can with a good old stick and string. Makes sense though.

Wild one
04-01-2017, 02:21 PM
You can it just gets expensive breaking arrows lol

If you are shooting a light draw weight compound you could but like mentioned carful with carbon arrows.

I have shot lots of small game with my compound and it abuses arrows. Yes inspect your arrow and flex test but often I can reuse my arrow. Over the years my hunting compounds have be from 65-95 lbs draw.

Would not recommend stump shooting but carbons can take some abuse just take the time to inspect and flex test. They can splinter and dangerous if they do but not a huge problem

SWD
04-02-2017, 09:45 AM
Buy a yellow jacket field point target. Takes arrows better then stumps.

Blockcaver
04-02-2017, 05:33 PM
I have stump shot (rotten stumps or logs on the ground, not fresh ones) with Judo points on carbon arrows with 65# modern compounds. The Goldtip Hunter series arrows are quite tough, as are judo points as long as you stay away from rocks or green wood. Certainly check your shafts after each shot, and expect some arrow and Judo point mortality if you practice in the woods. Good luck!

The Hermit
04-02-2017, 06:08 PM
I have stump shot (rotten stumps or logs on the ground, not fresh ones) with Judo points on carbon arrows with 65# modern compounds. The Goldtip Hunter series arrows are quite tough, as are judo points as long as you stay away from rocks or green wood. Certainly check your shafts after each shot, and expect some arrow and Judo point mortality if you practice in the woods. Good luck!

I agree with ^. ONLY shoot rotten rotten old stumps or spend lots of time digging them out of fresh wood.

Coyote
04-05-2017, 04:42 PM
I've used carbons for stumpshooting and had no problem. I do foot them with sleeves made from aluminum shafts I have hanging around. I shoot recurves and longbows in the 50 lb range. To keep from having to dig them out of stumps I use blunts exclusively and only shoot at old rotten fir stumps and logs. Stay away from cedar or fresh stumps and logs. The trick is to find an area with the right qualities. Right now I use wood arrows and blunts exclusively. Field points will try to steer around hard spots in stumps and break off. I've found blunts won't do this. I would be concerned shooting carbons with a high speed compound however.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-08-2017, 05:23 PM
Go buy a Rinehart 18-1 target ... Problem solved ...

just throw it and then shoot it

Hankenhunter
04-10-2017, 12:14 AM
Stuff a small feed sack with old clothes. Tie off the top. Spray paint spots all over, and Bob's your uncle. Light weight, portable and best of all, free! It will stop your arrows no problem.
Hank

greybark
04-10-2017, 08:30 AM
Stuff a small feed sack with old clothes. Tie off the top. Spray paint spots all over, and Bob's your uncle. Light weight, portable and best of all, free! It will stop your arrows no problem.
Hank

X2 on Hanks post , stuffed with plastic bags a little lighter .
Cheers

Gravityorange
04-10-2017, 12:36 PM
X3 on hanks post.. cheap and easy. I have one I've had for years, potato sack. Arrows pull out like butter ;)

northof49
06-12-2017, 10:05 PM
Large box stuffed with pallet wrap works great. Can get wrap from softdrink shippers for free and it works great for stopping field points

brian
06-13-2017, 07:54 AM
Do a google image search of carbon arrow hand. Then wish you could un-see those images. When carbon fiber goes it goes explosively!

Treed
08-19-2017, 04:37 PM
Go to any place that roasts there own coffee beans, they'll have free bags. Then go to a lumber store and grab some lumber wrap. Stuff the bags and sew the tops up with string. I've had the same one for 5 years. Works great!