PDA

View Full Version : ATV Gear?

BRrooster
03-30-2017, 09:36 PM
What do you take with you ? Other than all the standard stuff. First Aid kit, tire repair stuff, axe, chain saw, tools, fuel, wire/electric repair stuff, duct tape , zap straps, spare parts, etc. And what are the benefits of tow "straps" over plain ol rope ? I noticed on other forums that a lot of people use or mention straps over ropes a lot.
Hunting gear is a whole other ball game. Depending on what you are doing. A day hunt from camp or a week long trek.

Just wondering what has saved your butt out there at least once. And you don't leave home without it now.

BR
PS didn't know where to post this so I put it here.......

Bear Chaser
03-30-2017, 09:59 PM
Spare tire in a can or whatever they call it.
Picked up a nail and completely flattened a rear tire last spring. We followed the instructions on the can, got the tire reinflated and drove about another 100 km on it that weekend before we got back to town. It completely saved the weekend as heading 100 miles back to town for a tire repair and heading back was out of the question.
I now pack it, a tire plug repair kit, and a small 12 volt compressor.
Beyond that ratchet straps of a variety of sizes can sure come in handy. The 2" width heavy duty straps can even be used as a come along if needed.

Buckmeister
03-30-2017, 10:09 PM
Tow straps are designed to stretch and store energy, like a rubber band. So if your towing another quad out of a stuck situation, the strap will stretch and then help "slingshot" the stuck vehicle out, whereas ropes will just plain break.

Also, if your quad has a winch, a tree saver (like a short tow strap) and a pulley (helps to increase the rate of pull, or to pull stuff at an angle) are very handy for getting yourself unstuck. I also carry D ring shackles to help connect the straps and winch cables.

Singleshotneeded
03-31-2017, 01:55 AM
What do you take with you ? Other than all the standard stuff. First Aid kit, tire repair stuff, axe, chain saw, tools, fuel, wire/electric repair stuff, duct tape , zap straps, spare parts, etc. And what are the benefits of tow "straps" over plain ol rope ? I noticed on other forums that a lot of people use or mention straps over ropes a lot.
Hunting gear is a whole other ball game. Depending on what you are doing. A day hunt from camp or a week long trek.

Just wondering what has saved your butt out there at least once. And you don't leave home without it now.

BR
PS didn't know where to post this so I put it here.......

Quads.ca has a big write-up on everything you should carry with you on a quad for various situations, and nyrocatv.com has information about all the mods you can do to your quad to make it perform better as well as repair how-to's...