PDA

View Full Version : 4х4 vehicle

Dorarem
03-29-2017, 01:28 PM
Hey guys. Gonna buy a car and need some suggestion. What would be a good 4x4 or all wheel drive SUV , so I can drive it in city and use it for hunting purposes? Don't like trucks ..

mjplewak
03-29-2017, 01:34 PM
I was going to say a Toyota Tacoma pickup, but since you don't like trucks, I would suggest a Toyota 4Runner.

ajr5406
03-29-2017, 01:39 PM
x2 on the 4 Runner

wideopenthrottle
03-29-2017, 02:01 PM
x3 for the 4 runner

DarekG
03-29-2017, 02:10 PM
4Runner also but if you don't want to pay the Toyota tax premium on a vehicle with 400K on it, and you're looking at something used, I'm really loving my Nissan Pathfinder.

Surrey Boy
03-29-2017, 05:18 PM
Honda Ridgeline or Jeep Wrangler, depending on how civilized you are and how far off road you want to go.

jimi g
03-29-2017, 05:29 PM
Also depends on new or used. A used Nissan Xterra for example will be a far better value than any 4Runner due to them keeping their value so well.

Jeep Wrangler is another great bet.

I like 4runners too- depends on what your budget is!

Frango
03-29-2017, 05:42 PM
Don't like trucks??? Are you from Toronto? Yet another vote for 4 runner. I had one as a work vehicle .I put 200,000 plus k on it before I retired 2 years ago.They are still using it. It was never in the shop for anything major. Awesome unit.

XPEIer
03-29-2017, 05:56 PM
4 runner, best rig i had offroad

caddisguy
03-29-2017, 06:02 PM
2 door jeep tj is great for one or two people and gear... very off road worthy in stock form

4runner as others mentioned are excellent if you want a little more space in the vehicle... drivetrain will probably out live a jeep and with a lift and bigger tires it will go most places... just don't smack the back-end on a cross ditch... rear windshield doesn't like that

You might consider Cherokee, xterra, pathfinders as well.

Surrey Boy
03-29-2017, 06:38 PM
What about trucks don't you like?

A truck has a bed or box.
An SUV is a truck without a box: frame rails, axles, same drivetrain.

A CUV is a tall car: Independent suspension, thin tires, smooth and automated powertrain, superior acoustics.

A full size van is a truck with an integral canopy and no divide between bed and cab. Very useful, there's a reason tradesmen choose them.

A Minivan is a car with more seats. Some handle excellently with premium luxury.

northof49
03-29-2017, 06:55 PM
Could go jeep and get a utility trailer if looking to take camping gear or bring home moose/deer etc. Myself I would go with a Pick-up with canopy. Jeeps not as stable on wet/icy roads due to short wheel base, but just need to drive accordingly

russm
03-29-2017, 07:12 PM
If I was looking to buy another SUV I'd definitely consider another xterra, was a sad day when she was written off.

Dorarem
03-29-2017, 07:39 PM
Does it all wheel drive all the time? Or there is an option for 4x4 hi and low ? Thank you.

tuner
03-29-2017, 07:44 PM
4 runner if you have the budget, jeep Cherokee if your on a tight budget, if you do get an older Cherokee or Wrangler make sure it has the 4L inline 6, they drink a bit of gas but are bulletproof.

russm
03-29-2017, 08:06 PM
Does it all wheel drive all the time? Or there is an option for 4x4 hi and low ? Thank you.

If you're talking about the xterra they're rear wheel drive, with 4x4, so no not awd.

Dorarem
03-29-2017, 08:20 PM
Okay. Thank you

Buckmeister
03-29-2017, 08:41 PM
Why not drive the Lada that is in your avatar? I understand they are not bad offroad, lol.

Just to be different, you could try a smaller SUV like a Toyota Rav4, or a Tracker.

pronghorn
03-29-2017, 09:07 PM
Jeep wrangler

sapper
03-29-2017, 09:53 PM
I had a Toyota Hilux (diesel RHD 4Runner) for years and loved it. I'm looking at getting a rig for the next season and am considering some of the vehicles listed. I'm betwixt and between on a SUV again or a pickup with crew cab for the family. Have considered Dakotas and also the older Jeep Cherokee inline 6 too. I too love the Tacoma and Wranglers but they're too rich for my blood.

ITR_J
03-29-2017, 10:23 PM
4Runner is an excellent option. Also consider a Toyota Land Cruiser/Lexus LX if you can find a good one, I have one of each in my family and both are great vehicles. If you're on a budget, you could also take a look at the older full size, domestic suv's like the Tahoe or bronco. They're are pretty reliable and can be bought for cheap. Just make sure to find a clean specimen.

mastercaster
03-29-2017, 10:44 PM
Not liking a truck is like not liking girls! Or dessert, peanut butter, or beer! It just aint right. LOL

IF I was to get another vehicle besides my lifted Tacoma for hunting that was good on gas and could get me just about anywhere I needed to go I'd get a Suzuki Sidekick or GM tracker and have it lifted and run 31" tires on it.

ryanonthevedder
03-29-2017, 10:45 PM
The wife's rav4 V6 4x4 was actually pretty incredible. Good 4x4 abilities and I put on a commercial for Toyota at the boat launch. I pulled our 18' Wooldridge Xplus out on a gravely Fraser launch on several occasions to the surprise of many grey bearded spectators. Really liked that rig. Only reason we sold was the wife won a car for 3 years off some radio contest, and the new Leaf isn't quite the same but no oil changes changed my life.

Hoisted an LEH doe onto the roof of a Nissan xtrail I owned briefly, but it was not my favorite. I had more fun hunting in my '91 firefly. I always enjoyed the looks when I came out of areas others were having trouble getting into.

I suppose the moral is in how you drive it and not what your drivin.

xcaribooer
03-29-2017, 11:07 PM
the girlfriend has the Toyota FJ, these things are pretty awesome off-road and very decent to drive on the highway. All rubber floors inside that you can basically hose out when it gets dirty too. Two thumbs up on these rigs.

Dorarem
03-29-2017, 11:47 PM
Niva is in Ukraine . Hahaha, and that car can get you anywhere u want to. Much more better than trucks

RackStar
03-30-2017, 04:46 AM
Toyota 4 runner.
Find a older one with the 22re. Cheap gas and bullet proof

wideopenthrottle
03-30-2017, 07:36 AM
Toyota 4 runner.
Find a older one with the 22re. Cheap gas and bullet proof

it sure is hard to find older ones that aren't badly rusted (IIRC 85 might be the last year of the 22re).....reminds me of buddy who had one and we were standing beside it when he said..."man these Toyotas just wont die" and as we looked over at his swiss cheese badly rusted one (from back east where they really lay down the salt), he added " even though sometimes you wish they would!!!" heheheheheh

Rotorwash
03-30-2017, 07:43 AM
I gotta recommend a 4.0l jeep cherokee. It's narrow enough to fit down most side by side trails. 3" lift and some good tires and it will go virtually anywhere. Deer and bear fit in the back. Back seats fold down flush and you can sleep in the back too.
I don't even drive my truck anymore . Tjs and yjs are great too.
Make sure it's got a 4.0 and either command or selec-trac transfer case. None of that Quadra track junk that is always in 4wd. You will get pretty good mileage that way.
What I love is that it's cheap versatile and very capable. I don't mind if I beat on it because I only payed 1200 for it. But I see them for 500$ alot. Usually dented up or rusty tho

RackStar
03-30-2017, 07:44 AM
I just got a pretty good one 87 pickup with low KM, it's going to make a sweet hunting rig! Box has a couple typical rust spots but nothing a fibreglass replacement box won't cure. Wicked little truck

wideopenthrottle
03-30-2017, 07:55 AM
I just got a pretty good one 87 pickup with low KM, it's going to make a sweet hunting rig! Box has a couple typical rust spots but nothing a fibreglass replacement box won't cure. Wicked little truck
googled it....you've got a gem there....I was wrong about 85 as they did introduce another beefed up version of the 22re in 85 for the 4 runner (I thought they all went to v6) cheers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_R_engine

Squamch
03-30-2017, 08:38 AM
it sure is hard to find older ones that aren't badly rusted (IIRC 85 might be the last year of the 22re).....reminds me of buddy who had one and we were standing beside it when he said..."man these Toyotas just wont die" and as we looked over at his swiss cheese badly rusted one (from back east where they really lay down the salt), he added " even though sometimes you wish they would!!!" heheheheheh

1995 was the last year of the 22re. 85 was the last of the solid front axle. The engine introduced in 85 was the 22re, which is the same as the previous 22r, just EFI instead of carburated. There is also an early 22r that has different shaped exhaust ports (round instead of pear shaped), the short block is the same though. Even earlier there was also a 20r which is a similar motor, .2L less displacement. You can build a high compression 22r with a 20r head. There is also a late model 22re introduced in 1992 I believe that has different injectors, as well as the short lived 22rte turbo motor.
There are also a couple different versions of the v6 harness and computer. The 3.slow gets a bad rap, partially deserved, for the power of a 4 cylinder and the fuel economy of a v8. It's weak points are easily addressed with a good headgasket kit and a re-routing of the exhaust.
Any other Toyota nerd info anyone needs, I'm yer man.
4runner gets my vote too. I've hunted out of and wrenched on toyotas and Nissans. There is no comparison. There is room to work on a toyota, a much more logical design than any Nissan. The 4 runner has more ground clearance than the pathblocker, and doesn't have the absolutely ridiculous anchors for frame side rear suspension brackets that the xterra has.

Wagonmaster
03-30-2017, 08:41 AM
Can't comment on most of the vehicles mentioned as I have never owned them. Bought a new 4-Runner in 2004, V8, truck frame, constant 4 wheel drive. Have had no problems. Still tight as a drum and literally seems the same as when new. Great in the snow, not that we get a lot here on the Island. Not sure what the newer ones are like, but I will definitely look at another one when this one dies, which I doubt will happen anytime soon.

ryanonthevedder
03-30-2017, 12:02 PM
Ya the motors to get in a 4runner are the 3.4 V6 (or 4L if new enough) or the 22re. I ran an 85 reg cab 4x4 pickup for years and it was a great little rig, but frame, trans, diffs, and motor all needed doing in its lifetime with me. Dont get an older one unless you are mighty handy!

wideopenthrottle
03-30-2017, 12:18 PM
Ya the motors to get in a 4runner are the 3.4 V6 (or 4L if new enough) or the 22re. I ran an 85 reg cab 4x4 pickup for years and it was a great little rig, but frame, trans, diffs, and motor all needed doing in its lifetime with me. Dont get an older one unless you are mighty handy!
I also did lots to my 82 including clutches...there is sure something nice about being able to put the tranny in yourself with the cross member still attached without heavy equipment and getting the full clutch assembly including throw out bearing for about 100 bucks...

Linksman313
03-30-2017, 12:42 PM
With your stated uses, put in another reluctant vote for the 4-ruster, personally find them crampy for space for anyone over 6'2, but as an all-arounder you cant really find better. But be prepared to bust out the wrenches and body tools, I must have worked more on my 89' than my dirtbike at the time (but that comes with being a mechanic, can't let anything be). I did like the 04' Xterra up until the need for a carseat, it would not fit in the backseat of the machine, I would be still driving it today if it could have. I would suggest an old International Scout but they are so hard to find these days, one of the best old 4x4's I have hunted in.

RackStar
03-30-2017, 02:03 PM
My 87 is IFS, But I'm no rock crawler, I'm just a dude who likes to get into the backcountry to go hunt.
I lifted mine 3 inches, I put a air bag kit in the back to adjust my height and also be able to throw a moose in the back and not have the ass end dragging, replaced to many things under the hood to many to list, in the last month, only going 31 duratracs, as I want to keep my fuel economy and not have to re gear to 4:88s. I'm super stoked on how much gas I will save this hunting season not driving my old Hemi.

David
03-30-2017, 02:21 PM
"Do it all" vehicles rarely do it all well. You're better off buying a commuter car and a weekend warrior truck.

Having said that, you really need to provide more information about where you're driving the vehicle, budget, and how important things like fuel consumption are.

4runners are good, if you look out for rust and can afford the "toyota tax".
Nissan is a good alternative but much poorer aftermarket (if you intend on modifying the vehicle) and a bit worse fuel economy.
Jeep is very model specific and the price of new ones is rather ridiculous IMO.

Subarus are also a good choice if, like the toyota tax, you can afford the "subaru tax".
If you can handle small, and the fact that they have poor parts support due to no longer being in Canada, Suzuki is a good choice.

For a "do anything" vehicle I would stay away from:
Anything full size.
Any Jeep with a leaf spring suspension.
Anything Honda.

Bugle M In
03-30-2017, 06:31 PM
I would look at an Xterra, if you don't mind less space.
Not much in the way when going thru those backroads that have been dugout for water run off.

Buckmeister
03-30-2017, 07:47 PM
I have owned many Toyota 4x4's over the years (and still do), trucks, 4Runner, and Land Cruisers. If you want a vehicle that is as tough or tougher than a truck, good fuel economy, and great off road manners, then I suggest finding an early to mid 80's Land Cruiser wagon (BJ60) with the 4 cylinder diesel engine (3B). There are still a few out there that aren't rusted out yet in the body and/or frame, and the prices aren't ridiculous like the FJ40's. Or, if you don't mind right hand drive, you can import an early 90's Land Cruiser turbo diesel straight from Japan, in either the 70 or 80 series body styles. These usually have low kms and are very cheap to buy, and shipping costs are around $2000 IIRC. Plus the newer ones sometimes come with locking diffs.

Squamch
03-31-2017, 06:52 AM

Or a 3.0 v6.

Downwindtracker2
03-31-2017, 09:12 AM
A friend said "If I was building a 4x4, I'ld end up at a Rubicon" It would be cheaper to buy one new than build one. I have P/U and a quad.

The 4x4 guys look at me crazy, when I say stop at the end of the easy part of the road and walk, it's both quicker and easier. If you shoot something, then you have to winch and build road, which is both slow and hard work.

hparrott
04-02-2017, 09:09 AM
I have a 4runner with just over 200k on it. I wouldn't even consider getting rid of it. It has a 3/2" lift and 33" tires and gets me everywhere I want to go and has always been reliable.

Dirty Steve
04-02-2017, 06:55 PM
Why has nobody put him onto Tracker/Sidekicks? I have a couple and they kick the sh*t out of the POS XTerra I had.... The Xterra was supercharged though, stay away from them!!!! Tracker/sidekicks are wicked!!! You don't get ass raped by the Toyota tax ( had 6 or 8 of them myself) and the sidekicks outwheel a 4 runner any day of the week! I feel like an 18 year old kid ripping around in mine in town, so awesome for hunting, pull the top off... hair straight back! When your into a hunting rig for a couple grand your not too worried if you rub up against a tree, a $5000 4-runner with 400,000 kms your going to cringe real hard and pucker up pretty hard in the ass end the first time you rub up against a tree... Come along will pull a sidekick out all day long, try that on something heavier! Cross ditches, de activated roads, ditches, hell... I even zig zag through cut blocks in mine! What the hell do you do when you shoot a bear or a moose 700 yards across a cut block??? I bring a little saw and make my own trail! So cheap on fuel... A day of hunting cost me $20 in fuel!
Just sayin...

Rotorwash
04-03-2017, 08:11 AM
We had a 4 door sidekick growing up and it was pretty fun. My neighbor hunts with a 2 door tracker . He does well. I guess it depends what your doing with it.i couldn't fit all my stuff in one. I can fit all my crap in the cherokee and have room to sleep on one side in the back if need be. There's also more clearance in the jeep and tons of aftermarket gear like rock sliders and skid plates. It doesn't get as good of gas mileage tho.

If you look around and are patient they come up dirt cheap tho. Just stay away from the 2.5 l motor.

One great thing is those princess auto hitch carriers! They come on sale for $60 sometimes. I use one of those to pack game so I don't have to hoist them to the roof if I'm alone. And if you flip it over it makes a decent table and cookarea

I used to just put critters in the hatch with a tarp down... till the cougar incident. I had to get rid of that jeep I just couldn't get the smell out no how. Lesson learned

Buckmeister
04-03-2017, 08:47 PM
Why has nobody put him onto Tracker/Sidekicks?

I did.......

Why not drive the Lada that is in your avatar? I understand they are not bad offroad, lol.
Just to be different, you could try a smaller SUV like a Toyota Rav4, or a Tracker.

5jackz
04-03-2017, 09:21 PM
new jeep cherokee trailhawk - not the grand cherokee . my first jeep and it goes everywhere that my old 4skinners and later model Taco could go. quite happy with it.

Xenomorph
04-04-2017, 07:10 AM
Get yourself a Ram Rebel 1500 with Pentastar engine. You won't look back

Squamch
04-04-2017, 07:31 AM
Don't buy a fiat.

barry1974w
04-04-2017, 09:48 AM
We had a 4 door sidekick growing up and it was pretty fun. My neighbor hunts with a 2 door tracker . He does well. I guess it depends what your doing with it.i couldn't fit all my stuff in one. I can fit all my crap in the cherokee and have room to sleep on one side in the back if need be. There's also more clearance in the jeep and tons of aftermarket gear like rock sliders and skid plates. It doesn't get as good of gas mileage tho.

If you look around and are patient they come up dirt cheap tho. Just stay away from the 2.5 l motor.

One great thing is those princess auto hitch carriers! They come on sale for $60 sometimes. I use one of those to pack game so I don't have to hoist them to the roof if I'm alone. And if you flip it over it makes a decent table and cookarea

I used to just put critters in the hatch with a tarp down... till the cougar incident. I had to get rid of that jeep I just couldn't get the smell out no how. Lesson learned

there's got to be more to this story......

Downwindtracker2
04-04-2017, 11:59 AM
The Fait Chryslers are seriously better then the Daimler Chrysler that Mercedes-Benz made. They reinstated all their quality control programs that Mercedes cancelled. Every thing Mercedes in my truck has died, sometimes as much as 4x. The current Cherokee is built off the Dodge Dart platform. I think the Pathfinder and 4runners are also now sedan based as well.

Rotorwash
04-04-2017, 08:25 PM
I don't consider any jeep built built after 2001 to be a capable jeep.

tuner
04-06-2017, 07:08 AM
Try out a rubicon, you'll change your mind.

Downwindtracker2
04-06-2017, 09:58 AM
It's a quandary looking for a true SUV. Jeep started the Utility, that what they called it,thing in '49, and got serious with 4 wheel drive and low range in '50 or '51. What we have now are tall station wagons based on a sedan platform with all wheel drive, not that there is any thing wrong with that. But when you look at our backroads in BC with their Squamish culverts, they're simplify not built for that. That leaves you with the Wrangler 4 door if you want to take your family with you.

Rotorwash
04-06-2017, 03:30 PM
Maybe Ill try the a Rubicon next. I have only tried the 4 cyl in the new wranglers. but I can tell you the new cherokee and grand cherokee dont do a thing for me... I wouldnt take them anywhere i wouldnt take a civic. I ended up ripping all the trim off my grand cherokee and really bashing up the rockers. barely could make it through deactivations. broken cvs and driveshafts

tuner
04-06-2017, 03:44 PM
It's a quandary looking for a true SUV. Jeep started the Utility, that what they called it,thing in '49, and got serious with 4 wheel drive and low range in '50 or '51. What we have now are tall station wagons based on a sedan platform with all wheel drive, not that there is any thing wrong with that. But when you look at our backroads in BC with their Squamish culverts, they're simplify not built for that. That leaves you with the Wrangler 4 door if you want to take your family with you.
I got a 47 willys cj2a with a cj5 engine, (3.8 v6 Buick) drivetrain and axles, I love it.
Im contiplating the purchase of an 07 and newer 2 door/ freedom top Wrangler , preferably a Rubicon if a reasonably priced one can be found, i missed out on one on the island, an 09/ rubicon for $13k.

okas
04-06-2017, 03:47 PM
i have been putting on the k on my 2010 FJ 6 speed and liking it :-D they stopped making them 1014 and they are getting $$

Downwindtracker2
04-06-2017, 03:47 PM
I don't think the new Wranglers ever came with a 4 banger, just the 4litre out of the mini-van and 2012 the Pentastar 3.6. The 4litre wasn't too bad off road, good torque curve, but on the high way, it was overworked and suffered. BTW you can fit a Hemi in Wranglers, kits are available.

Rotorwash
04-06-2017, 05:43 PM
Lol sorry by new I meant mid 2000s. I haven't driven a jk yet. Cummins just released a diesel crate engine for the jeep that would be a cool swap. It's quite a bit lighter and more powerful than the 4bt. Not near a hemi but still cool. That concept wrangler SRT was pretty cool

5jackz
04-06-2017, 06:45 PM

You should try driving a new Cherokee . I think you might be quite pleasantly surprised at how capable and luxurious they are now.

Rotorwash
04-06-2017, 09:49 PM
I've put a lot of time in with an 2014 overland with the 5.7 decent to drive in the city but capable it was not. Trying to cross a small ditch pushed a bit on the bumper. Barely visible damage and it was an 8k repair bill. Driving though a large puddle in the road barely knee deep toasted the adjusting suspension. After that it would change ride height randomly, when the vehicle was off , at all hours of the night. Learned my lessons there. If I'm going anywhere that's off the pavement it will be in the old cherokee. Deactivations , washouts, trees over the road or fjording waist deep creeks. The xj handles it all with ease

Downwindtracker2
04-07-2017, 11:21 AM
I consider the XJ Cherokee one of the greatest vehicles of all time. When the big six came out, it would go through the 1/4 mile quicker than a stock Mustang, after that the brick effect took over.. With the 5 link front ends they almost achieved the ride and handling of IFS but with the ground clearance advantage of a solid axel. Though they were light at 3000# they also had very ridged uni-body. They had a short wheel base and a track that whole inch wider than the Ford Explorer. .And in a surprisingly roomy four door.