PDA

View Full Version : Back packing in alpine gear suggestion

luger
03-28-2017, 10:35 PM
Hey all. This year I'm heading into the alpine for mulie bucks on a 3 day trip. I'm looking for glove and toque suggestions as well as how do you stay dry suggestions. I'll be staying in a tent and we probably won't light a fire because we will be out all day hiking. The area that time of year is usually very rainy. I find keeping my head and hands dry and warm is quite difficult. I have full rain gear but I still find that my toque and gloves get soaked quite fast. What have you had luck with? Thick wool toques or light weight merino toques? Water proof headgear? For gloves do you run several pairs that you swap out or have you found a way to run one pair for the whole day? Any help on staying dry or drying gear fast will be appreciated!
thank you

whitlers
03-28-2017, 11:30 PM
Can't help you on the gloves because I'm in the same boat. As for head gear. I have had decent luck with my Rawhide hat and a touque under it if need be.

Weatherby Fan
03-28-2017, 11:37 PM
Just use a raincoat with a hood that has a drawstring so you can sinch it down around your face, I work in the rain all the time and it works for me, as for the gloves so many that claim they're waterproof ? well they aren't ! but any marigold type rubber gloves keep you dry but they sweat, we used a little heavier version of that for Halibut fishing and they held up pretty good but not the warmest come winter.

CSG
03-29-2017, 12:01 AM
I feel you on the glove front and have dealt with that for years. method i use now is this, two pairs of gloves, one relatively light and easy to wring out. Whenever my hands are getting wet I am usually bushwacking/hiking/climbing. When I am working my hands they don't get cold. Wring them out whenever I get a chance and I am usually pretty good.

Second pair of gloves is heavier fill (cause my hands get cold when not in use), and I try to get something water resistant. They are stored in my pack until I am sitting down glassing or around camp. If I am sitting around then I am always under cover of a tent, a rock overhang or a tree so I am not getting as wet.

I take my wet lighter weight gloves into my synthetic sleeping bag at night, throw them down by my legs and they are dry come morning

ajr5406
03-29-2017, 05:44 AM
I would take a lightweight Merino wool toque for sure

two-feet
03-29-2017, 06:13 AM
I use pure wool, $7 three fingure gloves. Wring out as needed. They can be wet and partially frozen and still keep your hands warm. Not fancy or sexy, but functional.

SR80
03-29-2017, 06:28 AM
I feel you on the glove front and have dealt with that for years. method i use now is this, two pairs of gloves, one relatively light and easy to wring out. Whenever my hands are getting wet I am usually bushwacking/hiking/climbing. When I am working my hands they don't get cold. Wring them out whenever I get a chance and I am usually pretty good.

Second pair of gloves is heavier fill (cause my hands get cold when not in use), and I try to get something water resistant. They are stored in my pack until I am sitting down glassing or around camp. If I am sitting around then I am always under cover of a tent, a rock overhang or a tree so I am not getting as wet.

I take my wet lighter weight gloves into my synthetic sleeping bag at night, throw them down by my legs and they are dry come morning

I do this too. Im not really a fan of thick gloves, they just ruin your dexterity and take forever to dry out. Thin poly glove for getting wet and bushwacking and then a wool/leather palmed gloved for keeping dry, and that are just big enough to fit the thin poly ones underneath when needed.

As far as the hat goes, just cinch down the hood on my rain gear.

.264winmag
03-29-2017, 07:03 AM
Wool and a rain hood as said...

Stresd
03-29-2017, 07:40 AM
as for the gloves so many that claim they're waterproof ? well they aren't ! .

Alpine stay dry gear for me has been Kuiu
Chugach nx hooded jacket, Merino beany with baseball hat over. Light weight Merino Ultra gloves for dry weathe, and the nicest comfortable and (yes they are)waterproof gloves I own are the Yukon Pro. Had mine for 3 years now and they have never failed me and never had wet hands. Have used them hard as gloves are mean't to be used. Have been extremely durable. Literally beaten the piss out of them. Yet they are still in one piece and still waterproof. For really cold weather I have a set of NorthStars (waterproof), that have seen use down to minus -28 with no problem.

allan
03-29-2017, 08:22 AM
For work out in the rain I use rubber dipped knit gloves, not water proof but keep my hands warm enough in above freezing temp, my hands look like prunes after a full day.
Another guy uses the same thing but puts black disposable gloves under his knit gloves to keep his hands dryer. It works well for him that way too.
We use nitrile raven for the disposable gloves.

Backwoods
03-29-2017, 08:37 AM
For gloves I use the industrial Grease Monkey rubber disposable gloves while it's raining, and if it's cooler temps I wear a thin pair of merino wool gloves under the rubbers, works great, and light weight, if you buy the stronger ones they actually hold up well, I brought them on a 11day sheep hunt last season and I was extremely surprised how good they held up!! Head gear, my helly Hansen jacket had a hood with strings I tightened up if needed! Hope this helps! The rubber gloves arnt kool camo or named brand but they work! They also have a duel purpose, can use for field dressing!

Squamch
03-29-2017, 09:37 AM
I forget what the brand is, but waterfowl gloves are what I wear. Neoprene waterproof, they're pretty thick, so dexterity suffers, but warm dry hands sure are nice!
Most of the ones sold as waterfowl gear are really long gauntlet style, but the ones I have have probably a 4" cuff up your arm...it was really nice to have that final piece of the puzzle in my rain gear handled. Hunting the island, probably 80% of my days are in the rain, so more often than not I'm in head to toe rain gear. I'll be looking for a lighter set of green rubber bibs than my Vikings this year, just cause they're heavy as hell when they're strapped to my pack.
Light rain, I've been using cabelas pack light rain gear, plus DWR treated pants underneath and they serve me pretty well. Hood up, cinched tight with a baseball cap on.

Ubertuber
03-29-2017, 04:08 PM
I use wool gloves or mittens when it's cold and wet. They dry fast and keep my hands warm even when wet. A decent wool toque under my hoodie style rain jacket keeps the rain at bay.
I tried the synthetic stuff, but liked the natural stuff more.

Pinewood
03-29-2017, 06:34 PM
I don't really care for Kuiu, but the gloves I have from them are incredible. They are durable, warm, thin and retain their thermal value, even when soaked through. They don't really seem to hold much water evan after submerging in a creek. I believe they are the Peloton 200.

Timberjack
03-29-2017, 06:38 PM
OR Seattle sombrero for rain and an OR wind proof fleece toque. Other brands prob have similar.

Wind proof fleece gloves and goretex over mitts if snow or rain is in the forecast. Warm and always dry and light enough for backpacking. Plus ensure your rain jacket has a good too for those windy glassing sessions.

TJ

wos
03-29-2017, 07:09 PM
To the op get somewhere high you can glass from all day. you don't need to hike your ass off in crappy weather trying to find a buck. Bring a small light tarp you can pitch and stuff your hands in your pockets if they get cold. You can even lite a small fire during mid day to warm up. Lots of small branches and stuff to burn even in the Alpine.

Rattler
03-29-2017, 07:15 PM
Lightweight beanie cap with a wide brim water proof hat works well in rainy/snow conditions. I overheat quickly and just use a wide brim hat. When stopped I throw on a touke to keep head warm. Also don't like anything over my ears when walking because I can't hear as well.

Haven't figured out gloves yet either. Can put a human on the moon, but can't make breathable waterproof gloves??

Wild one
03-29-2017, 07:16 PM
I carry a pair of neoprene gloves for wet conditions and a set of thin cotton gloves for when it's dry. Hands don't get cold and wet but yes I need to shake off the neoprene glove on my shooting hand for a shot.

not perfect but it works

Langleybushcrafter
03-29-2017, 08:34 PM
Back when I was in the military I tried every glove I could find and even the ones we were issued were not waterproof. After awhile I just came to accept that my hands would either be wet from weather or sweat and as long as they were warm I was happy.

I do do have a oilskin wide brimmed hat from MEC that is very waterproof, warm and awesome.

Kootenay Hunter
03-30-2017, 11:48 AM
X 2 on the OR Seattle sombrero. Kept me good and dry on a two week northern hunt. Has a good chinch down chin strap and I wear a light wool cap or a merino buff under it when its cold and windy.