PDA

View Full Version : Late Winter Feral Sheep Hunting

rose
03-25-2017, 08:42 AM
You know the feeling; freezer a little low, and so far from a hunting season. Luckily BC is awesome and provides a million different hunting opportunities. Check out our video of a late winter feral sheep hunt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puolxaCEyUw

These sheep are overabundant (destructive actually) and super yummy. Because I was a guest a this particular location and because the local community appreciates their privacy I wont "promote" it by name (a little googling will give you the specifics). If you do go, consider that there is little to no services/stores etc and that access to crown land will require homework and map study ahead of time. Also, be very careful of people/buildings, they are hiding all over the place.

srthomas75
03-25-2017, 08:55 AM
I really like your videos. well done. [ the ocean is a good clue as to the location ]

tuner
03-25-2017, 09:28 AM
Great video, looks like a lot of fun was had by everyone.

Andrewh
03-25-2017, 09:38 AM
man, hilarious - nice work on the video

Vanislehiker
03-25-2017, 09:43 AM
Enjoyed the video as usual! Thank you for sharing Rose!

Bear Chaser
03-25-2017, 09:46 AM
Nice. I enjoy your videos.

Whonnock Boy
03-25-2017, 10:16 AM
Another great video. Pretty sure I know where you are, and have sent a link to a friend that owns some property there for confirmation. I just might have to go for a boat ride.... Cheers!

huntcoop
03-25-2017, 10:21 AM
Do the locals care that you are hunting or are they happy to have some destructive friends removed? I've always wondered about heading over but seems that there are more than a few obstacles in the way.

Brew
03-25-2017, 10:36 AM
Your videos are awesome, they have everything from family,friends, adventure and humour. I cracked right up at the merino wool joke. Keep them coming please. Your a great mom and dad by the way, you give me a goal to strive for with my young daughters.

r106
03-25-2017, 10:37 AM
That's a great video..

Gateholio
03-25-2017, 10:38 AM
Canadian miles are longer than US miles :)

rose
03-25-2017, 11:23 AM
The locals are split, some definitely eat the sheep while others wouldn't hurt a mouse. Either way, not being a local is a major disadvantage. We kept it very discrete and as guests, had no problems at all. If I had no local connection I would just avoid proximity to private land and keep to myself.

huntcoop
03-25-2017, 11:28 AM
I see that no camping is permitted, they have issue with a tent on crown land?

steel_ram
03-25-2017, 01:31 PM
They sure do browse the crap out of everything on the gulf islands. Looks like someone's been in there with a pruning saw. Glad someone can utilize them. Is there a trick to skinning them out? I was lead to believe that if the wool touches the meat at all it will spoil. They are dirty critters. I tried it once and found it pretty gamey, but others may prefer the flavour.

Whonnock Boy
03-25-2017, 01:33 PM
Uh oh... turns out I was correct. Sounds like the locals are not happy that you posted the video. To me, they should all should be culled and be done with. Shouldn't make any difference to the locals, but from what I hear, they are a squirrelly bunch. They live there for a reason.....

huntcoop
03-25-2017, 01:44 PM
They sure do seem like a bunch of qwacks.

palmer
03-25-2017, 01:47 PM
So looks like fun but can't find any rules for shooting feral sheep ? I have a friend that owns land there and he said same thing. Can you point me to the rules for feral sheep.

REMINGTON JIM
03-25-2017, 02:07 PM
FUN Video ! Sure would be a HOOT to Bow-Arrow hunt those sheep ! :D RJ

steel_ram
03-25-2017, 03:36 PM
I wonder if the sheep contribute to the tick and louse infestations. Gulf Island deer are riddled with them. Gives me the crawlies when I see how many can fall of a hanging deer.
Need more cougars over there. Unfortunately when a predator does show up, as they due from time to time, many of the "new" locals have a fit.

But . . . the sheep have been there a long time. 30 years plus I've been hunting over there and things seem pretty stable. No shortage of deer . . . . . . and it's coon city.

Whonnock Boy
03-25-2017, 03:40 PM
Was just speaking with my friend about it. Apparently, the sheep were put on the island by a Vancouver Island butcher sometime in the late 1800's. As of right now, the populations of both sheep and deer are down based on his own observations. Didn't say much about coons....

the sheep have been there a long time. 30 years plus I've been hunting over there and things seem pretty stable. No shortage of deer . . . . . . and it's coon city.

srupp
03-25-2017, 04:20 PM
Wonderful video, again.really enjoyed it..better than most professional shows..cute kids..friendly funny banter..good hunting shots.
Thank EWE..made my day.
Cheers
Steven

kennyj
03-25-2017, 05:44 PM
Awesome!! Way to do your part. Its a tough job, but someone has to do it.
Thanks for sharing your adventure.
kenny

huntcoop
03-25-2017, 08:01 PM
Thanks for posting, neat video. That brown guy should make a nice throw rug.

Fthuss
03-02-2022, 01:31 PM
Hey everyone, first timer on this forum. Just looking for tips on hunting feral goats on the gulf islands. I understand some are for it and some are against. I like putting in the work myself for hunts but this one is proving to be a bit more difficult to organize. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I would be bow hunting of course and looking to do it solo. Thanks in advance

Squamch
03-05-2022, 08:05 AM
Hey everyone, first timer on this forum. Just looking for tips on hunting feral goats on the gulf islands. I understand some are for it and some are against. I like putting in the work myself for hunts but this one is proving to be a bit more difficult to organize. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I would be bow hunting of course and looking to do it solo. Thanks in advance

I emailed the COs to ask about this. The response is posted in a other thread, which I will try to find. Point of it was, it's not legal.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?161684-Gulf-island-Feral-sheep-goats&highlight=Feral

Fthuss
03-21-2022, 12:32 PM
Hey Squamch

I appreciate the reply and thread. This all sounds kind of confusing because I hear of ppl hunting there with no issues. But seeing as how your thread includes a CO's response I wonder how there are those who can still harvest some.
Anywho thank you for the response.
Fraser