PDA

View Full Version : Why are helicopters a complete no-no?

AgSilver
03-23-2017, 09:02 PM
Was thinking about this the other day and thought I'd ask your thoughts. You can fly a plane in to anywhere you can get to and just have to wait a bit before hunting. Why not helicopters?

Is it just one step too far in terms of making otherwise inaccessible areas accessible? After all, you only really need a small clearing...as opposed to a decent sized lake or landing field of some sort for planes. But if you had to wait long enough....

Saw Newberg's copter hunt - that's what made me think of it.

tater
03-23-2017, 09:07 PM
There was a lot of abuse of helicopters in the 70's and early 80's (shooting from machines etc.). I know a few guys who crewed back then who talked about being in a machine in a hover shooting animals after buzzing them and then long-lining them out (moose). It was particularly effective for goats and sheep up north.

It was mostly GO's that were responsible for most of the abuse. I see no valid reason why they should be legal again.

Gateholio
03-23-2017, 09:09 PM
it's to limit access, especially to the top of mountains.

Iltasyuko
03-23-2017, 09:25 PM
I didn't know they were legal in the past in BC.

Buckmeister
03-23-2017, 09:37 PM
I believe they use them in the Yukon still. Saw a hunt vid from about 5 years ago where they were shuttled around in an eggbeater, plus helped them retrieve game from top of mountain.

scoutlt1
03-23-2017, 09:45 PM
I believe they use them in the Yukon still. Saw a hunt vid from about 5 years ago where they were shuttled around in an eggbeater, plus helped them retrieve game from top of mountain.

Not legal. Page 19 of the Yukon hunting regs.

http://www.env.gov.yk.ca/publications-maps/documents/HuntingRegs16-17.pdf

Gateholio
03-23-2017, 09:53 PM
Not Yukon, but NWT they are legal.

Surrey Boy
03-23-2017, 10:15 PM
I didn't know they were legal in the past in BC.

Everything was legal until the Crown banned it.

Treed
03-23-2017, 10:28 PM
Yes and it was a lot harder to hunt with bows and black powder. Guns are enough of an advantage, if I can't hump my sorry ass up a mountain to shoot an animal, it deserves the hard earned safety it's got. I've spent a lot of time working in a lot of remote places in a helicopter in BC. If we could get dropped off by them to go hunting (I have cursed this regulation at times, dropped off in some remote coastal subalpine area only to run into the biggest blacktails I've ever seen, all rutty and pumped up, if I had a....), but it would make the shrinking wild places in our province even smaller. Sometimes regulation is a good thing thing.

firebird
03-24-2017, 06:34 AM
Edit- Im not saying regulations are bad and i oppose them but i take full advantage of any opportunities I have:

Im a commercial fixed wing and rotary wing pilot. I also have a float plane. We use it to hunt and fish the otherwise inaccessible areas and if I had the money id have a chopper and do the same thing. Hows it different from ATVs. And anyone that says they wouldn't and its better off without them is just lying.

Amphibious
03-24-2017, 07:07 AM
Pretty hard to toe in on a goat peak with an ATV or Float plane.

Squire
03-24-2017, 07:16 AM
Edit- Im not saying regulations are bad and i oppose them but i take full advantage of any opportunities I have:

Im a commercial fixed wing and rotary wing pilot. I also have a float plane. We use it to hunt and fish the otherwise inaccessible areas and if I had the money id have a chopper and do the same thing. Hows it different from ATVs. And anyone that says they wouldn't and its better off without them is just lying.

You should be recognized for submitting perhaps the stupidest inflammatory comment ever on HBC. I wouldn't ever want to hike in to a remote area only to have someone land in a helicopter shortly after and I share this sentiment with many hunters; a fraternity to which you obviously don't belong. Areas are only remote (havens for game) because they are kept that way. There are enough hunters that can afford helicopter transport that there wouldn't be any of these pristine places left in very little time. Also, the reward is proportional to the effort. Landing on top of game would be like cheating at solitaire; how satisfying would that actually be? By the way, I have the means to hire a helicopter if I wanted and still choose to support their prohibition when it comes to hunting in our province.
-Just another liar:icon_frow

firebird
03-24-2017, 07:30 AM
You are also the guy 200 years ago (on foot) that probably bitched about someone riding a horse cause it was too easy or convenient.

I have a very hard time believing that if I told you Ive got a spot that no ones been in ten years, maybe longer, where gamer have never seen a human and I'm going in with the plane/helicopter, all you need to bring is you rifle and gear- You would say NO.

And I'm not talking about shooting,spotting, or harassing wildlife from the air. That is illegal and unethical.

I am just talking about access.

If you want to walk around everywhere and be limited by that than good for you. But I explore the untouched areas of wilderness that you will never see or access on foot.

Brew
03-24-2017, 07:54 AM
I fly in a lot of helicopters for work and if they were legal to hunt with our game would dwindle to nothing in this province. The whole point of hunting is to hunt and put in the hard work. Any animal shot by a hunter being transported in one would not be a trophy in my book.

VLD43
03-24-2017, 07:57 AM
I think it's great they don't allow the use of Helicopters for hunting. In this day and age there is to much easy access to remote areas. Look at the number of "Hunters" who never get out of their truck, off their Quad, or out of their boat. Hunting is supposed to be about enjoying the outdoors and "Fair Chase" of game. There is nothing fair about using a motorized vehicle to out run game. In my experience, putting in the hard work and effort to get to remote places by foot, gives one an extra sense of accomplishment, whether or not they harvest an animal. If successful in your pursuit, the physical effort required to pack out also tests your endurance and commitment. I have talked with many hunters who have flown into a remote location, and seen the largest moose they have ever encountered, and passed on the opportunity, because they were physically not up to the task of packing it out. Therefore that mature animal remains as part of the future gene pool. Northern BC would not have any where near the appeal it does, if access was unlimited, as the game populations would get hammered. It seems to me that the hard work ethic of the past is being overtaken by the entitlement crowd. In my mind some things are still worth putting the effort into, and hunting is one of them. This is why mountain hunting for one is so cherished by some. The effort and commitment involved to harvest a good Sheep, Goat or Caribou is still worth the effort.

firebird
03-24-2017, 08:24 AM
Packing a plane or helicopter is just like your backpack. There are weight restrictions and limits. Lots of things can kill you or cause a wreck. Simple things people don't understand that don't fly. Theres lots of planning and and serious things to take into account when flying into somewhere, especially if you have never been there before. Its not like jumping on your truck and road hunting. There is a ton of equally "hard" work and "effort" required.

As soon as my boots hit the ground after the flight in the hunting is as "fair chase" as anywhere else.

And those guys VLD talked to that seen the biggest moose of their life and didn't shoot it cause they couldn't pack it out, how is that relative to to wether they were on foot 1 mile from their truck or 1 mile from their plane.

Ever seen a moose in a 185? The quarters are all piled around you and you can use a pile to rest your right arm on. About the same in a R44. Not to mention if its a small lake your not getting out with a whole moose. Multiple trips.

You guys have your head in the sand and are missing out. Most of the time people complain about things they can't have or do. Give it a try or give it some research. Because in some situations its more of a hassle with an aircraft.

And remember Im just playing devils advocate- Im not saying I'm in favour for helicopter gunning or anything illegal

03-24-2017, 08:24 AM
I agree totally with no helicopters. That said, recently watched some u-tube video of what must have been tricked out bush planes that could almost give a chopper a run for its money with what they needed to land....very impressive! Between the resources we now have available, the face of hunting is changing. With real time electronics, google earth with all its overlays, gps, and other equipment its getting harder for animals to hide. What was once a topographical map study and careful planning for a hike in, can be largely done on the internet, downloading the info required on various devices, loading up quads/gear and going. We have all probably checked out areas with google earth and have made plans based on what we learn. At one time that was a considerable effort. Satellite phones and other communication gear just about ensure we can always connect with the out side if required. Even without being able to be dropped off exactly where want, the various services and technology that exist can get us just about anywhere we want in the back country.

finaddict
03-24-2017, 08:27 AM
have a very hard time believing that if I told you Ive got a spot that no ones been in ten years, maybe longer, where gamer have never seen a human and I'm going in with the plane/helicopter, all you need to bring is you rifle and gear- You would say NO. And you just answered your own question as to why they are such a "no-no"

firebird
03-24-2017, 08:33 AM
And you just answered your own question as to why they are such a "no-no"

Ya but Im going and I bet 75% of hunters given the opportunity would be too.

Just like 416 says- I bet the same guys bashing me look at google earth and use GPS etc.

Aircraft are just a tool and I use them to my advantage.

Darksith
03-24-2017, 08:48 AM
the devil on my shoulder says helicopters, hell yeah...

but the sensible side of me says its simply too easy to get dropped off on top of a mountain and hike straight down with your goat...its too easy, remote becomes common place...theres enough common places in BC, even if Im not there all the time, I really appreciate the remote when I get there. I'd hate to lose that.

300rum700
03-24-2017, 08:48 AM

Just like 416 says- I bet the same guys bashing me look at google earth and use GPS etc.

It wouldn't be 75 percent of hunters it would be 100% that could afford it, thus the reason they aren't legal. Keep talking though your proving everyone else's point.

Darksith
03-24-2017, 08:50 AM

Of course you do, we all do. We use any advantage allowed. Helicopters aren't allowed and I can appreciate the why. nough said.

finaddict
03-24-2017, 08:54 AM
This is one of the rare occasions where I will be the one saying "we, the hunting public (both residents and GO's) need regulations to protect us from ourselves"

VLD43
03-24-2017, 08:56 AM
Packing a plane or helicopter is just like your backpack. There are weight restrictions and limits. Lots of things can kill you or cause a wreck. Simple things people don't understand that don't fly. Theres lots of planning and and serious things to take into account when flying into somewhere, especially if you have never been there before. Its not like jumping on your truck and road hunting. There is a ton of equally "hard" work and "effort" required.

As soon as my boots hit the ground after the flight in the hunting is as "fair chase" as anywhere else.

And those guys VLD talked to that seen the biggest moose of their life and didn't shoot it cause they couldn't pack it out, how is that relative to to wether they were on foot 1 mile from their truck or 1 mile from their plane.

Ever seen a moose in a 185? The quarters are all piled around you and you can use a pile to rest your right arm on. About the same in a R44. Not to mention if its a small lake your not getting out with a whole moose. Multiple trips.

You guys have your head in the sand and are missing out. Most of the time people complain about things they can't have or do. Give it a try or give it some research. Because in some situations its more of a hassle with an aircraft.

And remember Im just playing devils advocate- Im not saying I'm in favour for helicopter gunning or anything illegal

Just the fact you are "playing devils advocate" here is enough of an example of why Helicopters are a no-no. No doubt you've thought about this long and hard. It would make it so easy to just fly in and be right on top of the game you are pursuing. Making areas inaccessible or hard to get to, not only discourages the lazy, but protects wildlife from over exploitation or over harvest. If you really like the helicopter idea, then think about how that would affect your hunting opportunities. Wildlife managers need tools to limit or control harvest numbers. Limiting access is one of them. As has been stated by others here, if helicopters were legal, the flight cost would not be an issue. Therefore these areas you think you are going to fly into are going to be populated by the wealthy and the lazy, thereby defeating your initial idea.

firebird
03-24-2017, 09:03 AM
I completely understand areas that would become accessible by the "wealthy and lazy" lol nice stereotype. I'm not saying I want the regulation changed either.

And it's not as easy and getting in a aircraft and getting dropped off lol uneducated make it sound like it's like getting in your truck.

Just think about bout it from the other side too before you make up your mind

bearvalley
03-24-2017, 09:15 AM
I completely understand areas that would become accessible by the "wealthy and lazy" lol nice stereotype. I'm not saying I want the regulation changed either.

And it's not as easy and getting in a aircraft and getting dropped off lol uneducated make it sound like it's like getting in your truck.

Just think about bout it from the other side too before you make up your mind

I've been in a lot of remote locations in an airplane.....it sure is easier than walking.
As for loading gear in a plane...it's a lot quicker than packing a horse.
In some peoples world an airplane is their truck.

firebird
03-24-2017, 09:16 AM
Ever seen a maule, husky, or super cub get in and out of a high altitude mountain valley- that would get you the same place a helicopter would or within a few hundred feet. How about in and out of a sand/gravel bar on a rivers edge where a floatplane couldn't go.

tinhorse
03-24-2017, 09:49 AM
The only way I could ever see helicopters being used for any part of hunting would be for game retrieval. But even then it would be a far stretch. I've heard too many stories of wasted meat because of an animal shot in a location where it fell into 'dangerous' terrain, like off a cliff or slide and couldn't be retrieved. Now the hunter should know that it was a poor shot to begin with and shouldn't have been taken but if that happened and the Hunter had a radio and could get a chopper in the area in a reasonable amount of time to save the meat then I would be for helicopter retrieval. This again would be very contraversal and taken advantage of so I can see why it would never come into practice.

Ron.C
03-24-2017, 09:50 AM
The best thing about where we LEH goat hunt is the difficulty of access. We hunt inside a vehicle closure area. There is no where to land a plane and a horse will only get you so far. Absolutely awesome to hunt areas like this, not only because the hunting is better but because of the reward you get just from getting back there.

There's already more than enough areas to hunt with easy drive or fly in access. But that doesn't mean you have easy access to everything in the vicinity. I don't see any reason to make the more isolated areas easier to access.

bearvalley
03-24-2017, 10:04 AM
Ever seen a maule, husky, or super cub get in and out of a high altitude mountain valley- that would get you the same place a helicopter would or within a few hundred feet. How about in and out of a sand/gravel bar on a rivers edge where a floatplane couldn't go.

Lets put it this way...I've seen cubs get in and out of places that they shouldn't have been in and won't go back.
Ive seen a few bent ones as well.
Helicopters are banned for hunting for a reason.
Lets hope it stays that way.

MB_Boy
03-24-2017, 10:05 AM

Well....not really. Fly, spot and stalk is not what I would refer to as "fair chase" and unless you sit in the plane for 6 hours you won't be "hunting as soon as your boots hit the ground". #29 under "It's Unlawful" in the synopsis....page 15. :wink::wink::wink:

Ride Red
03-24-2017, 10:12 AM
This is one of the rare occasions where I will be the one saying "we, the hunting public (both residents and GO's) need regulations to protect us from ourselves"

Bingo, you are completely on the money. We are our own worst enemy.

tipper
03-24-2017, 10:17 AM
This has to be dumbest post I've seen yet.

solo
03-24-2017, 11:08 AM
It isn't just the access and retrieval that are issues. Aircraft used to spot game are really just another harassment that I don't think our animals should have to deal with. It seems unethical to harvest game in whatever manner possible just to guarantee success. If this is your mentality as a hunter, perhaps it would be better for you to start a ranch.

the bear
03-24-2017, 01:57 PM
Maybe we should allow drones to hunt that way everybody in favor of copter hunting wouldn't have to get out of their pickup!!!

finaddict
03-24-2017, 03:30 PM
Maybe we should allow drones to hunt that way everybody in favor of copter hunting wouldn't have to get out of their pickup!!!As long as the drones were big enough to also hold at least two AR's so that they would eventually be able to down the animal as initial tests with heat seeking sights may be inaccurate. The drone would also have to be large enough to extract the animal from its location of demise.Set the drone up with a cleaning station while in the air and the guts and blood could be widely distributed for an even coating of fertilizer along the way. In fact, if we do this all correctly we could hunt from the comfort of our own living rooms and never have to leave the house. Ahhhhh The outdoors........ Nothing like the fresh air and nature while you slurp your Coors from the couch.........

DarekG
03-24-2017, 04:34 PM
We should just be able to order wild game on Amazon.ca and have it shipped to your location so you can shoot it at home!

sky-gunner
03-24-2017, 04:43 PM
It's too easy to spot game and land near it with a helicopter, so for up here and in this province I'm cool with the heli ban. That being said hunting pigs in the states from the door of a flying heli with a AR looks like unbelievable fun.

HarryToolips
03-24-2017, 09:50 PM
As long as the drones were big enough to also hold at least two AR's so that they would eventually be able to down the animal as initial tests with heat seeking sights may be inaccurate. The drone would also have to be large enough to extract the animal from its location of demise.Set the drone up with a cleaning station while in the air and the guts and blood could be widely distributed for an even coating of fertilizer along the way. In fact, if we do this all correctly we could hunt from the comfort of our own living rooms and never have to leave the house. Ahhhhh The outdoors........ Nothing like the fresh air and nature while you slurp your Coors from the couch.........
Lol no doubt...to use choppers or drones, it just ain't hunting any more....

AgSilver
03-24-2017, 11:50 PM
I agree totally with no helicopters. That said, recently watched some u-tube video of what must have been tricked out bush planes that could almost give a chopper a run for its money with what they needed to land....very impressive! Between the resources we now have available, the face of hunting is changing. With real time electronics, google earth with all its overlays, gps, and other equipment its getting harder for animals to hide. What was once a topographical map study and careful planning for a hike in, can be largely done on the internet, downloading the info required on various devices, loading up quads/gear and going. We have all probably checked out areas with google earth and have made plans based on what we learn. At one time that was a considerable effort. Satellite phones and other communication gear just about ensure we can always connect with the out side if required. Even without being able to be dropped off exactly where want, the various services and technology that exist can get us just about anywhere we want in the back country.

You raise a very interesting point. There are significant amounts of technology at our disposal that are all considered okay simply because we use them. Many of those techs, when they were first introduced, were likely opposed by the hunters of the time. It's interesting to consider the things that we consider "okay" by current standards...and where that line is drawn. "I'm all for XX, but anything else is just too far!" GPS overlays on Google Earth are big ones...remember when you actually had to get out and walk an area to understand what it was like? Or when guys wouldn't shoot a moose because they didn't have a quad to haul it 10 kms out of the bush on trails far too small for a truck?

I'd argue that quads probably have as detrimental an effect on hunting as helicopters do...maybe even moreso.

I definitely understand the comments here as to limiting access; however, many make it sound like you would get to land, hop out, shoot, and fly away. One assumes that the goat that you see when you get out won't be waiting for you until the next day.

But yet, an interesting discussion. Thanks for the feedback.

It isn't just the access and retrieval that are issues. Aircraft used to spot game are really just another harassment that I don't think our animals should have to deal with. It seems unethical to harvest game in whatever manner possible just to guarantee success. If this is your mentality as a hunter, perhaps it would be better for you to start a ranch.

I've never done a fly-in hunt...do the pilots do laps around the area that you're going to hunt to allow you to "spot game" before you land so that you know where to go? I'd assume probably not...and guessing heli pilots wouldn't either. I'm not defending or advocating for it...just thinking about the issue.

firebird
03-25-2017, 06:16 AM
You can't harass or spot game from an aircraft. Not to mention searching and circling with a loaded aircraft can become a dangerous situation.

firebird
03-25-2017, 06:21 AM
I can't believe how many idiots think it's easy to just get in you plane (like a truck) fly to your hunting area (which can still take hours, and of course in rain, fog, snow, or low cloud), make a couple loops (spot your 60" moose), land on a big safe lake with a dock or beautiful beach. Load your rifle, shoot that 60" moose, simply winch the whole moose in and fly back home again, all before dinner.

Lol

Frango
03-25-2017, 07:46 AM
I can't believe how many idiots think it's easy to just get in you plane (like a truck) fly to your hunting area (which can still take hours, and of course in rain, fog, snow, or low cloud), make a couple loops (spot your 60" moose), land on a big safe lake with a dock or beautiful beach. Load your rifle, shoot that 60" moose, simply winch the whole moose in and fly back home again, all before dinner.

Lol I try and get it done before 2pm so I can have a nap.

Amphibious
03-25-2017, 07:54 AM

Lol

Most of the year a helicopter is my truck.

mike31154
03-25-2017, 08:04 AM
Fun fact for the day, helicopters don't actually fly, they're so ugly, the earth repels them.

mod7rem
03-25-2017, 09:58 AM

I don't think anyone feels that the flight, flight planning and skill required to pull it off is easy, but for the paying customer it is easy. I started hunting sheep and goats in 2003 and have accessed the mountains by foot from roads, remote drop off by river boat, and drop off by float plane. None of those modes of transport were hard for me until my own feet were involved. Crossing creeks on foot is risky, crossing rivers on horseback is risky, etc, etc,,,.... I've been on float plane flights where the pilot was all business not saying a word to anyone and his head was on a swivel constantly in motion and you realize "holy sh't, this is serious". But it still wasn't hard for me. If helicopters were legal for transport when I started, I'm sure I would be using them as well because it would be normal. My only concern would be the level of regulations to control it. Even when I've been dropped off in a float plane, it is usually a minimum of a full days hike to get into good sheep country so its not often that I bump into other hunters. Most sheep hunters would agree that a helicopter would be able to take you directly to those areas, therefore demand would be high, and I could picture sheep hunters dropped in multiple spots in the same areas. Even though It doesn't happen often, Its already a little disappointing when you get into the sheep mountains and bump into other hunters or see them on ridges you were planning on hunting. I think helicopter access would make that a lot more common.

I've read a little about mountain hunting in New Zealand (Tahr hunting mostly)with the use of helicopters. It sounds like everywhere a helicopter is capable of dropping hunters off, there is a steady rotation of hunters. They stagger tag dates to manage the heavy flow and groups come in as groups go out. It seems to work for them but they are also dealing with non-native species with virtually no predation. The same could be said for hog hunting in the US. They have to kill them to keep them under control even if people weren't willing to hunt them for fun. Helicoptors are a great choice for that.
If it was tough to manage in the past here in BC, I imagine it would be even harder with todays population and wealth.

Rotorwash
03-25-2017, 10:06 AM
I'm an AME and spend hundreds of hours a year in helicopters flying in pretty remote areas.
If it was legal to hunt from a helicopter it would destroy goat sheep and moose hunting.
Success would be almost 100% for anyone chartering a heli and the number of leh draws would be drastically reduced. For less than the price of a decent rifle you can get a B2 or B3 for an hour to haul you to any mountaintop with 2500 lbs of gear. Or toe in on a mountain ledge long enough for you to hop out and shoot your goat. Or fly swamp to swamp till you see your moose and land across the swamp from it and blast it. Moose goats deer and bears barely care about helis. Planes on the other hand are limited to where they can land. I fully agree with the the government on this one. Helis should not be involved at all in hunting game.

Wolves on the other hand...

tangozulu
04-04-2017, 08:16 PM
Lets put it this way...I've seen cubs get in and out of places that they shouldn't have been in and won't go back.
Ive seen a few bent ones as well.
Helicopters are banned for hunting for a reason.
Lets hope it stays that way.

Yup and i can think of a dozenGOs killed in cubs. Not too surprising

Ohwildwon
04-04-2017, 09:08 PM
You can't harass or spot game from an aircraft. Not to mention searching and circling with a loaded aircraft can become a dangerous situation.

First sentence, yes you can..

Second sentence, only if you don't know your own capabilities..

Amphibious
04-05-2017, 09:34 AM
Second sentence, only if you don't know your own capabilities..

How did we ever survive all those Wildlife surveys, SAR dispatches, Site inspections, photo flights, pipeline patrols.......? lol

Ltbullken
04-05-2017, 11:34 AM
And how about ultralights...?

wideopenthrottle
04-05-2017, 11:59 AM
how good would duck and geese hunting be if you could cruise into bays at 30-50 MPH and blast away....just cuz something would be fun doesn't mean it would be fairchase

Timberjack
04-05-2017, 07:22 PM

My thoughts exactly...