PDA

View Full Version : BCWF- Wildlife Funding statement

BCWF
03-23-2017, 09:23 AM
For immediate release

Kelowna, B.C.

The BC Wildlife Federation congratulates the Provincial Government for committing to a new wildlife management model today. The Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations announced it will form a new wildlife agency in late fall 2017 backed by $5 million in start up funds. The agency would be supported by $9 to $10 million collected each year from hunting licence revenues.

President Jim Glaicar said, "The BC Wildlife Federation commends the Province for its commitment to dedicate hunting licence revenues to a stand-alone agency to enhance wildlife management. The BCWF, on behalf of our 50,000 members, is pleased to have our call for greater investment in fish, wildlife and habitat realized through this investment."

A dedicated funding model is a concept the BCWF has been promoting intensively for the past two years. This announcement is a validation of the BCWF’s diligence on this file. We look forward to working collaboratively with partners and stakeholders to address dwindling fish, wildlife and habitat.

The new governance model must set specific measurable objectives to recover and increase habitat sustainability, as well as fish and wildlife populations. Currently there are no set population objectives for fish, wildlife and habitat.

Fish and wildlife in British Columbia are in trouble. That’s why the BC Wildlife Federation is taking action to ensure the future of fish, wildlife and wild spaces. We are holding Town Halls around the province to discuss these issues and share our passion for what makes BC special.

Please visit: www.bcwf.bc.ca to find out more about theTown Hall meetings we are holding in communities across British Columbia.

Lionhill
03-24-2017, 02:58 PM
Why a "New Wildlife Agency" when there is a BCWF? Can the BCWF not take this money for their "wildlife Initiatives"?

If not, why not?

HarryToolips
03-24-2017, 03:06 PM
Again, this is great news....

elknut
03-25-2017, 12:40 PM
It's happening !...We will see as this moves to fruition ...It's about time ..Dennis

Whonnock Boy
03-25-2017, 01:45 PM
Let's not forget that this was first proposed by the NDP last year, and is 100% on the table if they get elected in May.

Wild one
03-25-2017, 01:55 PM
Good news

As for NDP it will be a cold day in hell before I vote for them. Really only piss poor options available for BC voters

Whonnock Boy
03-25-2017, 02:02 PM
Agreed... I just do not wish to see people making election decisions based on ignorance.

Really only piss poor options available for BC voters

Wild one
03-25-2017, 02:15 PM
Agreed... I just do not wish to see people making election decisions based on ignorance.

Fair enough we all have the right to pick our poison

Spy
03-25-2017, 02:27 PM
Let's not forget that this was first proposed by the NDP last year, and is 100% on the table if they get elected in May.
Like everything else in the "carrot" budget " after the election and only if we get elected.

Whonnock Boy
03-25-2017, 03:34 PM
For sure. I read that the Liberals have promised 6 billion in funding. Would be nice to get a good read on the totals "promised" from all parties. I'm sure it will happen as there's still lots of time left in this dog and pony race we are calling an election.

Like everything else in the "carrot" budget " after the election and only if we get elected.

Ed George
04-26-2017, 04:54 PM
I'm wondering if we are being played by the government with this announcement. They have said that they will pattern this new model after the Fresh Water Fisheries Society. When a lake is low on fish stocks they bring more from their hatchery, are we going to set up moose, elk or deer hatcheries? They have not offered to allow any say in land use issues, they have only offered up wildlife management without any say in where they live. Is this more like Translink, all of the problems with no control or say in how to fix the problems?

04-26-2017, 05:05 PM
Beauty,
the best thing to happen to wildlife, forestry and habitat in likely 40 years ....... Yet some still criticize......

makes ya wonder.

Ed George
04-26-2017, 05:36 PM
That is precisely the point. Nowhere in the announcement did they offer any say of control over forestry, mining, habitat or land use. We are supposed to just believe it will. This actually came from one of the people on the inside of MOE but could not say anything himself and wanted the word out. As for finally committing all of the licence funds to wildlife, great.