PDA

View Full Version : Hunting/ Firearm/ Liability insurance

gmachine19
03-22-2017, 04:59 PM
Hey all! Who does everyone use for liability insurance while out the bush? I'm about to sign up to BCWF and I was wondering if there are other alternatives.

Cheers!
G

crazy ducker
03-22-2017, 07:33 PM
Is this for the special Fraser valley permit. If it is I just use my house insurance

whitlers
03-22-2017, 07:50 PM
House insurance here too

gmachine19
03-22-2017, 08:05 PM
Is this for the special Fraser valley permit. If it is I just use my house insurance

Nah. Just something to cover my ass in case something happens.

BowRunner
03-22-2017, 08:40 PM
I use the policy BCWF arranges. Support the federation and get benefits at the same time.

finngun
03-22-2017, 10:00 PM
Why that can,t be automatically includet in ya hunting licence,,,like many countries in europe,,,,it is not gonna be too many $ extra,,,im willing to pay that ..:idea:

Iron Glove
03-22-2017, 10:07 PM
As others have suggested, depending on what you are doing your Homeowners Policy may cover your exposure.
It won't cover any illegal acts, Firearms Act breeches, ATV use and a lot of other things.
If you are concerned about being Charged with a Firearms Offense then you should look at specific policies that may cover some aspects of that.
If all you are worried about is you being liable under civil law for property damage, death, bodily injury and such to someone arising out of an accident caused by your negligence ( not your illegal actions ) then your Homeowners should do the job.
Note, this is just a very broad, simplified statement, always discuss your insurance needs with your Broker and read your damn policy. :-D

Rhyno
03-23-2017, 10:11 AM
I checked with my homeowner insurance...they cover all my gear with no specific limit for sporting equipment which includes my guns, glass, etc.....there is an overall limit but it is more than enough coverage.

Iron Glove
03-23-2017, 11:44 AM
I checked with my homeowner insurance...they cover all my gear with no specific limit for sporting equipment which includes my guns, glass, etc.....there is an overall limit but it is more than enough coverage.

That's quite normal, the OP was asking however about the liability coverage which BCWF etc. can provide.

srthomas75
03-23-2017, 12:04 PM
Question: Is having a liability policy for this common? Or are some folks more cautious/ worried / paranoid than others? I personally don't think if that stuff when I go camping or fishing or hiking or bike riding or grocery shopping and I would like to think I'm pretty normal.
( but it reminds me of a story from years ago. My a friends boss and his wife were not going to join them for a day on the lake in his boat because they weren't sure if their life insurance policy covered them for water skiing.)

BRvalley
03-23-2017, 12:04 PM
I'm still researching this, but feel like I will buy soon, before I go out for spring bear...cost seems very reasonable for how it could potentially help you

any members here have any feedback on this?

http://firearmlegaldefence.com/legal-expense-insurance/what-is-legal-expense-insurance/

http://firearmlegaldefence.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Gun_Owners_policy-v1012-16.pdf

Iron Glove
03-23-2017, 01:41 PM
The Legal Defence Insurance topic has been discussed at length on CGN, you might want to go there.
It's certainly reasonably priced, maybe a couple boxes of decent ammo, and would be nice to have if the need arises.
The down side is that IMHO the policy wordings are somewhat vague.
Many have asked for examples where this type of policy has actually been successfully claimed on but AFAIK there haven't been any confirmable examples presented.
Again, you have to read the wordings, it's certainly not an all encompassing policy.

finngun
03-23-2017, 07:31 PM
some rifle range membership has liability ins. included...:-?

gmachine19
03-23-2017, 07:44 PM
The Legal Defence Insurance topic has been discussed at length on CGN, you might want to go there.
It's certainly reasonably priced, maybe a couple boxes of decent ammo, and would be nice to have if the need arises.
The down side is that IMHO the policy wordings are somewhat vague.
Many have asked for examples where this type of policy has actually been successfully claimed on but AFAIK there haven't been any confirmable examples presented.
Again, you have to read the wordings, it's certainly not an all encompassing policy.

That's good to know. Thats why I'm kinda skeptical on getting that.

gmachine19
03-23-2017, 07:50 PM
Question: Is having a liability policy for this common? Or are some folks more cautious/ worried / paranoid than others? I personally don't think if that stuff when I go camping or fishing or hiking or bike riding or grocery shopping and I would like to think I'm pretty normal.
( but it reminds me of a story from years ago. My a friends boss and his wife were not going to join them for a day on the lake in his boat because they weren't sure if their life insurance policy covered them for water skiing.)

With my line of work (water/ fire damage restoration,) insurance is everything. I want to be protected if anything happens. Be it legal stuff or theft. Our hobby is expensive enough as it is. God forbid I need lawyer in the future. It will surely bankrupt me.

Iron Glove
03-23-2017, 10:37 PM
With my line of work (water/ fire damage restoration,) insurance is everything. I want to be protected if anything happens. Be it legal stuff or theft. Our hobby is expensive enough as it is. God forbid I need lawyer in the future. It will surely bankrupt me.

You can never be insured against "anything", there are always exclusions.
I'd suggest you sit down with a qualified Independent Insurance Broker and discuss your needs. Buy the broadest coverage you can. Get a Personal Umbrella Policy which is an excess liability policy to provide higher liability limits on your home, autos, ATV's, boat, whatever. For the Firearms Defence / Legal stuff buy one of those specific policies. Might be useless, might not be, you never know. Check all your memberships like BCWF, Gun Club, etc. as many of them provide liability coverage for certain sporting activities.
Now, you might bankrupt yourself paying all those insurance premiums but at least you'll be well insured. :lol:
In your line of work you probably get a lot of your business from Insurance Companies - take a look at how they handle the claims you get assigned to. Deal with the Company that handles them best.

M.Dean
03-24-2017, 08:39 AM
I've never heard of insurance coverage for going out in the bush? And I wouldn't spend 5 cents buying insurance for being in the bush! If I do happen to shoot you and a few of your buddy's, you must'a needed shoot'in, and as long as I'm the only one still breath'in after this terrible accident, who they go'in believe??? Now who want's ta go hunt'in!!!

Sambor
03-24-2017, 08:43 AM
Try Canadian Coalition for Firearm Rights. If you get a membership you can get an insurance and legal representation as well: https://firearmrights.ca/en/insurance/

hoochie
03-24-2017, 09:01 AM
If all you are worried about is you being liable under civil law for property damage, death, bodily injury and such to someone arising out of an accident caused by your negligence ( not your illegal actions ) then your Homeowners should do the job.

These are criminal offenses.

Iron Glove
03-24-2017, 09:13 AM
These are criminal offenses.

Not necessarily, all depends on the circumstances.

buckhunter76
03-24-2017, 09:32 AM
The only reason in my opinion to get the liability insurance is if your hunting the Fraser valley where the special area liscence requires it or quite possibly I could see it being that little extra safe feeling for a land owner if your knocking on farmers doors in the interior looking to hunt some private property though it's not needed. Every year I just go through the bcwf it's cheap and you get some magazines out of it yearly, their is also a printable agreement that can be used between you and the land owner which has worked in my favour a few times in the Fraser valley, I hunt the shotgun zones and rifle zones in mission so it's mandatory, I also bow hunt in areas and have found that between my charmingness and that bcwf price of paper it seems to put land owners at ease a little more.

I myself though never even think about insurance if I'm hunting outside of the Fraser valley, "accidents" are all preventable by safe muzzle direction, being comfortable with your firearm, knowing what's behind your target, verifying your target properly, not using your firearms as a pair of binoculars to scan areas when you have no verified a target. And common sense

i might have got a little off topic with my rant but it seems like your wanting to buy the insurance to cover your butt if you cause an accident in areas you don't need insurance ? . If you are are new to firearms and hunting I suggest maybe finding a mentor, if I am correct on this is and you live in the Fraser valley or have any questions feel free to pm me if you live close enough to me I don't mind taking someone out just getting into the sport and teaching.