PDA

View Full Version : British Columbia to increase investment in wildlife management

Fisher-Dude
03-22-2017, 10:45 AM
British Columbia to increase investment in wildlife management

News Release

Kelowna
Wednesday, March 22, 2017 10:20 AM

Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations 250 356-5261

Update from Minister Thomson

Government of British Columbia

Greater investment in BC's fish, wildlife and habitat. All hunting licence revenue will be reinvested to enhance wildlife management activities. BC Wildlife Federation (facebook.com) , Guide Outfitters Association of British Columbia (facebook.com) , BC Trappers Association

As part of the Province’s long-standing commitment to healthy wildlife populations, Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations Minister Steve Thomson announced today that all hunting licence revenue will be re-invested to enhance wildlife management activities.

Based on input from stakeholders over the last few years, the government will form a new agency in fall 2017 with startup funds of $5 million. The agency subsequently would be supported by hunting licence revenues of $9 million to $10 million each year.

Currently, hunting licence revenues support a number of government activities. Hunting licence surcharges totalling more than $2.6 million annually would still be dedicated to the Habitat Conservation Trust Foundation for its conservation projects.

To determine the governance model and investment priorities for the new agency, government has budgeted $200,000 to support a process to engage with key wildlife stakeholder groups, First Nations and the public later this spring.

The shift toward a stand-alone agency builds on previous accomplishments in enhancing wildlife management, including: finalizing the wildlife allocation policy; implementing a moose enhancement strategy; bringing in an e-licensing system; and increasing First Nations’ participation in wildlife management. The collaborative process used to produce the 2016 moose enhancement strategy also identified how B.C.’s wildlife management framework could be modernized.

Wildlife populations are managed on the principle of “conservation first.” Currently, the ministry spends over $18 million per year on wildlife management activities.

Quotes:

Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations Minister Steve Thomson –

“While B.C. has a robust model of wildlife management, we recognize the need to enhance our core activities. This management framework and additional funding will do that.”

Jim Glaicar, president, B.C. Wildlife Federation –

“The B.C. Wildlife Federation commends the Province for its commitment to dedicate hunting licence revenues to a stand-alone agency to enhance wildlife management. The BCWF, on behalf of our 50,000 members, is pleased to have our call for greater investment in fish, wildlife and habitat realized through this investment.”

Scott Ellis, executive director, Guide Outfitters Association of B.C. –

“The Guide Outfitters Association of British Columbia is excited about the government’s commitment to increase funding for wildlife. We support initiatives to enhance and grow healthy wildlife populations in British Columbia.”

Erick Mikkelson, vice-president, Wildlife Stewardship Council –

“The Wildlife Stewardship Council is in support of any initiative that enhances wildlife in B.C. We look forward to more discussions and providing input on how the agency will work later this spring.”

Brian Dack, president, B.C. Trappers Association –

“We’re supportive of any initiatives that will help to grow wildlife populations.”

Quick Facts:

B.C. is home to more than 1,138 species of vertebrates, including 488 bird species, 142 mammal species, 18 reptile species, 22 amphibian species, 83 freshwater fish species and 368 saltwater fish species.
There are over 100,000 registered hunters in the province. It is estimated that hunting activities (including those of resident hunters and guide outfitters) contribute $350 million each year to B.C.’s economy.

BgBlkDg
03-22-2017, 10:59 AM
Forgive my scepticism, but, this is just more election bullshit from one of the WORST landraping administrations since James Douglas, was Premier. Social Credit, now the BC Liberals, has always been a gang of lowlife exploiters and wreckers of the BC biosphere and will not change if re-elected.

As to the aboriginal minority involvement, what a sad farce, and we all know why!

03-22-2017, 10:59 AM
is this like they said they would put all the fresh water licence money to fresh water enhancement? They still don't clip the fins of fish released into The Cowichan....
I have not seen a change in that. We talked to a couple guys who were going in on the weekend to feed the fish... the govt wouldn't feed them on the weekend... the guys didn't want the fish to die.....

Not to say this couldn't be good news... but... I am sceptical it will work like it should.

Ohwildwon
03-22-2017, 11:00 AM
Any one care to bet, once Christy's re-elected this doesn't happen?

Whonnock Boy
03-22-2017, 11:00 AM
It should be noted that all parties are on board with this regardless of who gets elected in May.

Ride Red
03-22-2017, 11:14 AM
I'll be the optimist and hope to see these changes happen. The revenues generated from all outdoor sports related activities is substantial and shouldn't go unnoticed. Hopefully this isn't just an election boast, but a defined line to rehabilitating our hunting and fishing opportunities. With funding and proper management, it is achievable; we just need all parties invested. Now, just maybe, we can get more people involved to make our voices heard. My two cents.

wideopenthrottle
03-22-2017, 11:18 AM
isn't this what we all have been asking for, for a long time....fingers crossed it happens and the money all goes to conservation efforts

elknut
03-22-2017, 11:25 AM
Here ....Here..Good to hear ...Our Freshwater fishery has done nothing but improve to a first rate fishery since the change over...I only hope our wildlife gets the needed boost it needs ...If this is implemented and I see no reason it won't be then we can begin a process to find ways to fund wildlife more like the US states do ..Change has to start somewhere and this is the first baby step..WE need to encourage and support this ....not speak negatively about it ..Dennis

Fisher-Dude
03-22-2017, 11:34 AM
Here ....Here..Good to hear ...Our Freshwater fishery has done nothing but improve to a first rate fishery since the change over...I only hope our wildlife gets the needed boost it needs ...If this is implemented and I see no reason it won't be then we can begin a process to find ways to fund wildlife more like the US states do ..Change has to start somewhere and this is the first baby step..WE need to encourage and support this ....not speak negatively about it ..Dennis

Correct. We've been calling for this for years, now we finally get it and the poopy-pants crew bitches about it.

Perhaps some people are upset they have one less thing to cry about?

I'm looking forward to the opportunities that are going to come from this funding for our wildlife resources. Can't wait to roll up the sleeves and get out there with some habitat restoration projects as soon as possible!

Spy
03-22-2017, 12:03 PM
Correct. We've been calling for this for years, now we finally get it and the poopy-pants crew bitches about it.

Perhaps some people are upset they have one less thing to cry about?

I'm looking forward to the opportunities that are going to come from this funding for our wildlife resources. Can't wait to roll up the sleeves and get out there with some habitat restoration projects as soon as possible!
I will believe it when I see it, we know we can't believe shit the Libs try and sell us. Yes its all good news but some of us have good memories and are skeptical to say the least.

Spy
03-22-2017, 12:04 PM
Put me in the skeptic class.
Nothing says the funds toward wildlife is going to increase, Gov't is just moving some $numbers from one column in the ledger to another, and boasting about it.
This new agency will be interesting, hope they can re-invent the wheel , as the last few wheels have all fallen off.
Exactly just more bull shit polished up to look like a golden goose egg !

BgBlkDg
03-22-2017, 12:23 PM
"poopy-pants crew", you little paperpusher desk pilot, I should kick your redneck azz for that!

Gawdam kids nowadays!!!!!

butcher
03-22-2017, 12:28 PM
is this like they said they would put all the fresh water licence money to fresh water enhancement? They still don't clip the fins of fish released into The Cowichan....
I have not seen a change in that. We talked to a couple guys who were going in on the weekend to feed the fish... the govt wouldn't feed them on the weekend... the guys didn't want the fish to die.....

Not to say this couldn't be good news... but... I am sceptical it will work like it should.

what fish are these?

RiverOtter
03-22-2017, 12:29 PM
I'm gonna go with "Cautiously Optimistic" on this one.
Ya, I know this issue has been pressed for some time now and it'd be great to cheer on a small victory, but anything that all of a sudden gets addressed on the eve of an election is suspect, and for good reason.

RiverOtter
03-22-2017, 12:32 PM
"poopy-pants crew", you little paperpusher desk pilot, I should kick your redneck azz for that!

Gawdam kids nowadays!!!!!

Looks like the "Home" is a little behind on diaper changes today....:lol:

Kidding BBD. Haha.

btridge
03-22-2017, 12:50 PM
I'm gonna go with "Cautiously Optimistic" on this one.
Ya, I know this issue has been pressed for some time now and it'd be great to cheer on a small victory, but anything that all of a sudden gets addressed on the eve of an election is suspect, and for good reason.
Exactly, Remember that Lying piece of S***, Steve Thomson, promised to fully implement the allocation agreement as previously agreed to only to change it after the last election and screw over resident hunters.

03-22-2017, 12:54 PM

How has your fishery benefitted? Mine hasn't.
im not trying to provoke a fight but This money has not changed a thing.... hell Stamp Hatchery had a go fund me page because it couldn't access public funding for smolt....
The Cowichan has to have its own employees go in on their own time to raise fish..... ?What have you seen? Cuz I aint seen shit ...

I have no care who implements it or what organization manages it... I honestly think it is a absolutely fantastic idea, the licensing dollars my self alone spends a year is hundreds.... that is me alone.. That money should go in to it...
But show me the proof it worked last time, Elk nut im not gunning at you but what have YOU SEEN? HOW HAS YOUR FISHERY IMPROVED?

don't let politics in the Government or the fed slow it down, if it works it will be good.....

Fisher-Dude
03-22-2017, 01:04 PM
Exactly, Remember that Lying piece of S***, Steve Thomson, promised to fully implement the allocation agreement as previously agreed to only to change it after the last election and screw over resident hunters.

That was Barry Penner.

But carry on.

Fisher-Dude
03-22-2017, 01:07 PM
How has your fishery benefitted? Mine hasn't.
im not trying to provoke a fight but This money has not changed a thing.... hell Stamp Hatchery had a go fund me page because it couldn't access public funding for smolt....
The Cowichan has to have its own employees go in on their own time to raise fish..... ?What have you seen? Cuz I aint seen shit ...

I have no care who implements it or what organization manages it... I honestly think it is a absolutely fantastic idea, the licensing dollars my self alone spends a year is hundreds.... that is me alone.. That money should go in to it...
But show me the proof it worked last time, Elk nut im not gunning at you but what have YOU SEEN? HOW HAS YOUR FISHERY IMPROVED?

don't let politics in the Government or the fed slow it down, if it works it will be good.....

You do realize that the Stamp hatchery is funded by the federal government and not the Freshwater Fisheries Society, don't you?

butcher
03-22-2017, 02:17 PM
FFSBC is currently funding about 56 projects to enhance fisheries across the province in addition to the stocking program.

03-22-2017, 02:21 PM
Fisher Dude,
I just had a pleasant pm exchange with someone here who explained that to me.
No I was not aware but now it does make sense, even tho I don't like it...

Iron Glove
03-22-2017, 02:21 PM
It should be noted that all parties are on board with this regardless of who gets elected in May.

If that's the case then it doesn't matter who we vote for. :mrgreen:
It's a win - win for the environment no matter.

Citori54
03-22-2017, 02:37 PM
Always skeptical about any government/any party promise, especially when it comes with a new agency. Having said that I am hoping it is instituted and is a huge success.

butcher
03-22-2017, 02:39 PM
Well it's been talked over for a long time. Really positive IMO

Seeker
03-22-2017, 03:12 PM
This has been a long time in the making and is a great step forward. It would be one thing if this was knee jerk or one time "donation", but its a permanent dedication to wildlife. 12 million more than we had at this time last year.

Another key component is the independent group that will drive the changes for wildlife separating government from contentious issues such as wolf control and grizzly management.

Another question, now that all funds from licences and tags are going to wildlife management, will hunters be willing to pay more for the privilege to hunt? I know I would not hesitate. If all hunters agree, that money will only grow. From there with leveraging from companies and organizations those 14 million can grow to much more....... I can dream, but this is the best news we have had for wildlife in a long while and is a great start to what can be if we keep engaging the people that matter. It will obviously have growing pains and bumps along the way, but this is a win and a great start to reestablishing wildlife numbers in BC. Don't get complacent folks. Keep engaged, keep being involved and keep pushing.

Thank you to the people that have busted their asses and worked so hard for this!

MtnBoy
03-22-2017, 03:16 PM
Great news! Jim Glaicar and the Fed are making a big difference with respect to the funding our wildlife here in BC.
Congrats!!!

Ourea
03-22-2017, 03:21 PM
For any of those that r remotely negative or bitching......get a life.

There r certain individuals who have worked tirelessly on creating and then selling this sustainable funding model and it is finally getting traction.

Give ur head a shake if u knee jerk with skepticism and complaint.
Either get on board of a solid plan that will address the needs facing wildlife for the future and a way to pay for it, or, simply do nothing other than analyze and criticize.

What side of life r u on ...... the doers side that make a difference or the complainers that only serve to get in the way?

VLD43
03-22-2017, 03:38 PM
Sounds like good news. Noticed they mentioned all fees from Hunting Licenses and tags would go to fund this. Good start. Now maybe all the other outdoor user groups who have been advocating to limit or curtail hunting of certain species, in this province will rethink their position. It would be nice to see future revenue from some of these other user groups go towards this fund.

labguy
03-22-2017, 03:46 PM

There r certain individuals who have worked tirelessly on creating and then selling this sustainable funding model and it is finally getting traction.

Either get on board of a solid plan that will address the needs facing wildlife for the future and a way to pay for it, or, simply do nothing other than analyze and criticize.

What side of life r u on ...... the doers side that make a difference or the complainers that only serve to get in the way?

Nothing wrong with a little healthy skepticism given the track record of every level of government in every generation since the dawning of time.

I hope history doesn't repeat itself but I'm holding my applause until we see this implemented.

03-22-2017, 03:51 PM

I thought you were above this. I have come to expect it from a few people but...
Some people for sure are bitchers.... some, like myself are a bit ignorant but look for an answer. I did not know there was a funding difference. Makes perfect sense to me now. But really what people like your self who seem to be right in the know of it all should maybe post things to show it is working.
I did not see the freshwater working in my area, but I have now been told why as well as a number of projects it is going to.

Sure people bitch, but you guys who are in it should be above them. The constant pissing matches are brutal. Telling people to give their heads a shake and to get a life only brings more crap.
I hope this works, im sure it will. I would like to hear some areas that they are looking at and what the money might start to do.

RiverOtter
03-22-2017, 03:54 PM

I'd be surprised if any here would consider the announcement today as a negative. But a govt "promise" means little, until the rubber meets the road, post election.

That's taking nothing away from the hard work that's been put forth to formulate a plan and then lobby the gov't to get behind it financially.

338win mag
03-22-2017, 05:38 PM
Its a start, and good work to all those who made it happen.

HighCountryBC
03-22-2017, 05:53 PM
Shame to see such negative responses to something that is such good news for wildlife in this Province.

To make it clear: This is not some election promise pulled out of thin air. This is something that some "heavy lifters" on our side have been working towards for a very long time. Proud of the work this group has accomplished and will continue to do my part by meeting with politicians and expressing how much wildlife in BC means to me, attend town halls, write letters and participate in habitat enhancement projects.

Nothing but positives!

Ourea
03-22-2017, 05:58 PM
I thought you were above this. I have come to expect it from a few people but...
Some people for sure are bitchers.... some, like myself are a bit ignorant but look for an answer. I did not know there was a funding difference. Makes perfect sense to me now. But really what people like your self who seem to be right in the know of it all should maybe post things to show it is working.
I did not see the freshwater working in my area, but I have now been told why as well as a number of projects it is going to.

Sure people bitch, but you guys who are in it should be above them. The constant pissing matches are brutal. Telling people to give their heads a shake and to get a life only brings more crap.
I hope this works, im sure it will. I would like to hear some areas that they are looking at and what the money might start to do.

Comment is not directed at you by any means.
It's about negativity being directed at good news.

And I always take the high rd.

Anyone can analyze this major win for wildlife all they want going forward.
Bottom line, at least there is something solid in place to look at.

This is the a positive step in ACTUALLY creating a platform to address wildlife and habitat needs.
This is the first step on addressing the big picture.

Ohwildwon
03-22-2017, 06:31 PM
Cross my fingers this all works out, with a solid plan in place...

Hopefully 1/3 of the cash raised, squeeze's out the bureaucrats/red tape, mismanaged ass, and hits the ground running..

Wild one
03-22-2017, 06:33 PM
Good news for sure going to cross my fingers that this is just the start to improving things for wildlife in BC

horshur
03-22-2017, 06:34 PM
Congrats to those been working to this end.

two-feet
03-22-2017, 07:08 PM
Many thanks to the proponents, this is a major positive for all those who love and use wildlife.

2chodi
03-22-2017, 07:44 PM
This is great news and should be celebrated — it's what the BCWF has been promoting for some time now. Government and other parties all know that we are still not happy about the allocation decision and the level of funding for fish and wildlife, but this can only be seen as a very positive development.

Ourea
03-22-2017, 08:10 PM
This is great news and should be celebrated — it's what the BCWF has been promoting for some time now. Government and other parties all know that we are still not happy about the allocation decision and the level of funding for fish and wildlife, but this can only be seen as a very positive development.

2chodi.... the picture is a bit bigger and everyone, hopefully, will embrace and support the model and it's objectives.

Further.....
If and when people outside of the hook and bullet community get on board to support wildlife things go to the next level.
The key to everything is a solid plan that anyone wanting to support wildlife initiatives can get behind.
It is far more than hunting opportunities and entitlement ......it's about what's best for wildlife and the long term play.
I believe this is starting to happen.

Elk-Aholic
03-22-2017, 08:22 PM
Excellent work on everyone's behalf who worked tirelessly and like a pack of wolves to gets this done! This is a giant step in the right direction to give wildlife the recognition and attention they deserve! It's all about wildlife for future generations, the kids kids kids, if something doesn't get done soon, this resource is in trouble IMO. And I will be the first to say with 100% of hunting license dollars now going back to wildlife in BC, how about an increase to tags and license costs to continue to promote and ensure long term success of our wildlife in BC!!?? And before the attack on the proposal begins, a few dollar increase can mean millions more to wildlife. So hold off on a pack of beer once a year (for example), bottle of wine, etc, for wildlife's sake!!! Again, my hats off to the job well done by all!!!!!

BowRunner
03-22-2017, 08:26 PM
Happy to hear this also.

Now can we pressure all parties to endorse this action and commit to implementing it? Or has that endorsement already been made?

03-22-2017, 08:29 PM
This is terrific news going forward.
to all those involved in pushing this through, making it possible, doing what it takes to make a difference .
We as lovers of wildlife and the outdoors Thank You!
It's these folks from various circles, resident hunters and recreational users, GOs, BCWF, BCFN, BCGov and others that are making this possible. It's a move in the right direction for doing what's best for wildlife and its future.
Hopefully, this funding model, when it gets well off the ground, will secure a future for wildlife and its sustainability for our future generations to enjoy for years and years to come.
I tip my hat to the many doing the down and dirty work to get this done. Thank you all !
Its finally doing what's right for wildlife.
Great to hear !
CT

HarryToolips
03-22-2017, 08:56 PM
Happy to hear this also.

Now can we pressure all parties to endorse this action and commit to implementing it? Or has that endorsement already been made?
And this is a very good question, is this commitment by the government 100% finalized and will for sure be implemented?? That being said, this is a very promising, positive step for wildlife in BC, and as previously said, thanks to all who put in all the time and effort into making this happen..

If this happens, I'm guessing the new agency will be an efficient way to work the funding model....it will be interesting to see how they would first use those funds, will it be a combination of predator reduction, habitat restoration projects, aerial counts, wildlife highway overpasses etc??

f350ps
03-22-2017, 09:08 PM
Good news, it always amazes me what can happen in an election year! K

Ourea
03-22-2017, 10:26 PM
And this is a very good question, is this commitment by the government 100% finalized and will for sure be implemented?? That being said, this is a very promising, positive step for wildlife in BC, and as previously said, thanks to all who put in all the time and effort into making this happen..

If this happens, I'm guessing the new agency will be an efficient way to work the funding model....it will be interesting to see how they would first use those funds, will it be a combination of predator reduction, habitat restoration projects, aerial counts, wildlife highway overpasses etc??

Support the model, get behind it, get others on board, make it happen ....then ......and only then.... hunters can offer their input on what they would like to see done from their perspective.

Ideas are like nails.....without a hammer to drive them they do nothing.
The hammer is being built

butcher
03-22-2017, 10:45 PM
It took years after the commitment to get the full funding for FFSBC. But it happened thanks to the diligent work of a number of people. This is a huge step in the right direction.

03-23-2017, 08:15 AM
At its base this is good ammunition for the debate between us and antihunters. It will show that we as hunters are infact contributing money and " they are not "

chilcotin hillbilly
03-23-2017, 08:47 AM
I know how hard the GOABC worked on this model for years, I am sure the BCWF worked every bit as hard. I myself are glad to see some positive results. Now we actually have a chance to put wildlife first.
Lets make sure we hold what ever government is elected accountable.

I say let look at this as a big win until proven otherwise.

HarryToolips
03-23-2017, 02:51 PM
Support the model, get behind it, get others on board, make it happen ....then ......and only then.... hunters can offer their input on what they would like to see done from their perspective.

Ideas are like nails.....without a hammer to drive them they do nothing.
The hammer is being built
Good points.......

elknut
03-23-2017, 05:09 PM
After all the comments since my address of the post I feel glad to see many positive views come forward ...Change comes from an initial agreement ..then written up and then into law ..It never happens bang...The Freshwater fisheries society was the baby step and now hopefully the wildlife part ..When you remove govt from control of something they give it up begrudingly...As for funding it after getting all the license fees to administer it the govt should and could be lobbied to hand over some sales taxes from the sale of hunting and fishing gear...Maybe not all but a percentage..835 the changes Ive seen in the freshwater fishery has been nothing but fantastic..Most lakes in the interior are stocked with triploid fish now ..They do not become spawn bound and are great table fish..They fight like hell and they live a longer life...Federal fisheries in Canada are in dire straits ...That's the problem with central Canada running ocean fisheries..Our wildlife management in Canada has been run by politicians for too long ..This change if...and I say if...implemented will again manage wildlife properly because it will remove "Politics " from the equation ...

Ourea
03-23-2017, 06:18 PM
After all the comments since my address of the post I feel glad to see many positive views come forward ...Change comes from an initial agreement ..then written up and then into law ..It never happens bang...The Freshwater fisheries society was the baby step and now hopefully the wildlife part ..When you remove govt from control of something they give it up begrudingly...As for funding it after getting all the license fees to administer it the govt should and could be lobbied to hand over some sales taxes from the sale of hunting and fishing gear...Maybe not all but a percentage..835 the changes Ive seen in the freshwater fishery has been nothing but fantastic..Most lakes in the interior are stocked with triploid fish now ..They do not become spawn bound and are great table fish..They fight like hell and they live a longer life...Federal fisheries in Canada are in dire straits ...That's the problem with central Canada running ocean fisheries..Our wildlife management in Canada has been run by politicians for too long ..This change if...and I say if...implemented will again manage wildlife properly because it will remove "Politics " from the equation ...

Any business or industry that sells a product for the intended use in the outdoors or, generates revenue operating on crown land....there should be a fee (tax)
That should be step 2.

The more money the funding model can generate from various streams the more wildlife and habitat will benefit.

northernguy
03-23-2017, 07:13 PM
Just curious about the money numbers. News reports indicate the government currently spends 18 million a year on wildlife management. Reports also indicate that hunting license revenue generates between 9 and 10 million.

Will the government continue spending 18 million in addition to the license revenue? Media reports and Government new releases don't make it clear. If not, that leaves a net loss of about 8 million for wildlife management.

Maybe I'm being sceptical, but I have come to realize that Government announcements never say what they mean...

So I'm just asking...

I'm hopeful the new system works! The old one is broken.

GoatGuy
03-24-2017, 09:20 AM
Just curious about the money numbers. News reports indicate the government currently spends 18 million a year on wildlife management. Reports also indicate that hunting license revenue generates between 9 and 10 million.

Will the government continue spending 18 million in addition to the license revenue? Media reports and Government new releases don't make it clear. If not, that leaves a net loss of about 8 million for wildlife management.

Maybe I'm being sceptical, but I have come to realize that Government announcements never say what they mean...

So I'm just asking...

I'm hopeful the new system works! The old one is broken.

Hunting license revenue (incl LEH) was about $14.7M in 2015, $2.7M of which would have gone to HCTF.

The $18M number includes species at risk like caribou ($8m), a bunch of research, and non-hunted species etc.

Most of those dollars are not for hunted species/populations. Currently government probably spends closer to $3-4M of that $18M on 'huntable' species/populations.

Gov will continue spending most of those dollars.

The new 'system' has not been built.