PDA

View Full Version : Spring Turkey

belongtotom
03-15-2017, 05:07 PM
Spring hunting season will soon be here, Plan your hunt around the Creston Valley , In the West Creston in general . There are a lot of birds on the Corn Creek Rd. and on Highland Cres. . The birds have been corn fed and will come to the rattling of corn in a can .
There are at least a 1/2 dozen Toms in the local flocks .
Stop and ask the locals about the birds and get permission .
Remember they will come to a handful of corn or sunflower seeds , It will take about day or two to get the flock coming to your feed

northof49
03-15-2017, 05:16 PM
Nice to share info but best to not give out too much detail on locations ......might not be a good area for long.
JMO

belongtotom
03-15-2017, 05:23 PM
The area out here is infested with these crap hawks , I was kinda hoping the numbers would decline , they are getting killed on the roads , the coyotes are getting a lot , but there are still a lot . Come and Get Them

northof49
03-15-2017, 05:59 PM
A plague of gobblers....game on

Boner
03-15-2017, 06:21 PM
April 15, I'll be there, or be square!

boxhitch
03-16-2017, 12:44 AM
gender jokes aside, glad you came back with some more info, b
hunters helping hunters get rid of some pests = priceless

Dour
03-16-2017, 10:02 PM
How is the snow there ?? Thought a bad winter ? Lots of kill

jtred
03-17-2017, 06:28 AM
How is the snow there ?? Thought a bad winter ? Lots of kill
It was a really bad winter for cold and snow.It's going fast now but it's going to be a while before it dries up.

belongtotom
03-18-2017, 09:43 AM
The snow was deep this winter , hard on everything . The turkey population however did not suffer much due to the feeding program of a few misguided people. so there are lots of birds , Plan your hunt , and come get one

fuzzy 63
03-19-2017, 08:31 PM
Good to see you have come back . I recall your offer to help reduce the population was on your own property . Was that a valid offer then , or was it just to garner some interest ? Your neighbor is feeding the birds and your op then was to offer up hunting on opening day so that you could reduce the amount of turkey crap that was being tracked into your home .
Mostly curious as to how that all has turned out and if any of the others on this forum have made plans to come to your place for a shoot , or have things changed to the point that the advice is just come to your mentioned area's and then look for permission from area landowners ?
Just saying

jtred
03-20-2017, 07:20 PM
My experience here in the Creston valley is that permission to hunt on private land is difficult to come by. If you were born here you'll likely have some connections otherwise you'll be knocking on quite a few doors before you get a yes. The local CO gives a yearly briefing to the Rod and Gun Club and with all the trespassing that's been going on, many of the larger farmers have had it with "hunters"(poachers). West Creston was specifically mentioned a couple of years ago. A large number of smaller holdings are owned by early retirees from larger cities and won't allow hunting. I have permission on a couple of parcels but to tell you the truth I prefer crown land, there are fewer birds and they are a lot harder to hunt but you won't see houses, hear cars, or have to worry about where the horses have got to. I'm not saying there aren't turkeys here to hunt but if you're betting on coming and hunting private land you really should have it all lined up by now, like it was mentioned before a lot of people on the smaller parcels actually feed these turkeys and protect them. They do not want them shot.

HighCountryBC
03-20-2017, 08:19 PM
x2 on what jtred said. Permission can be tough to get around there. Spring turkey hunting is some of the funnest around and is a great way to tie things over until elk season. That being said, they are pretty easy to hunt and there are good populations stretching from Beaverdell East. For the lower mainland guys thinking of heading out that way, I'd save the gas. For the guys in both the EK and WK, most can already hunt them 15 minutes from their door.

Krico
03-20-2017, 10:43 PM
x3 that was my experience in Creston too. Even if you can get permission can be tough to get the minimum 100 metres from any occupied dwelling and be legal.

Krico
03-21-2017, 02:35 PM
I meant to add.
I suggest anyone heading out read page 13 of the regs carefully. I would hate to see any well meaning hunters in hot water because a neighbor phoned in a complaint about hunting close to homes.
Not saying I agree with the rule just pointing it out.

fuzzy 63
03-22-2017, 06:35 AM
Morning , from the sounds of things this is a population that will only continue to grow without any tangible solutions .

boxhitch
05-17-2017, 06:13 AM
Not much hunting news coming from this thread.........??

in the news

He says the number of wild turkeys in the Kootenay region has climbed in the last five years, possibly because they are being fed.

The ministry says the turkeys have produced more noise complaints, property damage and conflicts as the large, flightless and sometimes aggressive birds become habituated to people.

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/wild-turkeys-latest-habituated-creatures-to-cause-trouble-in-southeastern-b-c

Philvan
08-27-2017, 10:10 PM
Has anybody hunted a turkey there?