PDA

View Full Version : Hot Tip Clearwater, Lillooet, Williams Lake

JMac
07-15-2007, 12:40 PM
?,.,.,.,.,

Jelvis
07-15-2007, 01:14 PM
That sounds pretty good JMac, the way I see it, Planning to hunt and talking about the season coming and where to start, is like, hockey is well liked in this country, and talked about all year, not just in the season. That's what hunting is about planning and preparing that's a lot of fun. Checking out other hunters on here, who you know, do hunt, mulies and moose. That is a big part of the hype. Some of the hunters on here are worth checking out and can really, how does that saying go, If you can't dazzle with brilliance you gotta baffle with the bull$it. Either way you can inspire, good read.

Phil
07-15-2007, 01:36 PM
Well said.

Wildfoot
07-15-2007, 02:54 PM
Anyone have the Coles Notes to that post. Holy crap.

Gateholio
07-15-2007, 04:10 PM
paragraphs are your friend....:mrgreen:

Hilgy
07-15-2007, 04:57 PM
I dont bother scouting JMac I just wait till I see you and follow just out of sight. I know who always finds the big bucks on the Island:-D

Being out here in AB I have had to start all over again. Just when I had finally started to get my sh$t together on the island and find some good alpine.

Going to be doing some scouting this summer out west around Nordegg. Looks to be some good high country. To bad mulies are on draw out there. Bow season is general though.

I like the point of your post I used to hunt with a few guys on the island like that. Just wait for someone else to do the hard work and then reap the benifits.

Hilgy

dana
07-15-2007, 05:55 PM
Hilgy,
Just went through that Nordegg country last week. Looks spectacular for muleys. I was wondering if it was Limited Entry or not. At least with a bow you can hunt every year.

Hilgy
07-15-2007, 07:14 PM
Hey Dana,

I havent had much time to look around out there but we do work out there quite a bit so I'm getting to know the lay of the land.

Just done a bit of glassing from the road while chaining up or waiting to get on lease but will be spending some time up top probably in Aug.

To busy working all my days off trying to make up for a long break-up

Hilgy

Marc
07-15-2007, 07:44 PM
I don't want people to be scared to ask questions on the site but I understand what you're talking about as well.

It doesn't make sence to me to be putting in for an LEH in an area that you or a friend have no idea of where the animals are then rely on someone els to point you in the right direction. That's poor planing in my opinion.

If it's a new hunter just trying to put a deer or a bear in the freezer then yah I've got no problem pointing them in the right direction.

When I moved to the Island 4 years ago I had no idea where the animals where and with a couple of hunting budies I've managed to locate more animals every spring and fall. Every year I see more animals because I'm seeing more areas and concentrating on the areas where I've seen the most sign.

mapguy
07-15-2007, 09:08 PM
your right it takes a lot of work i've hunted an area for 15 years
it amazes me how many people walk the same area and have no clue were the deer are

Jelvis
07-15-2007, 09:14 PM
mapguy, the same area for fifteen long years? You must know it good!

Mr. Dean
07-16-2007, 01:19 AM
BIG difference between hunting an animal and killing one. If someone wants to just go out and pluck an animal, that’s what ranches and guides are for. Too many people think that because they possess a hunting license, they're hunters. Whereas it's simply a license to learn how to become one.

I have found that learning how to translate topo's into the species that you seek lingo has probably been THE biggest asset of hunting that I have accomplished/acquired; Learn what your quarry likes at the time of the hunt, pick out several likely spots in an area, then strap on the boots and find out what's goin on!

It's extremely exciting AND rewarding when it all comes together. Each and every season you'll gain a little more knowledge. It won't take long before you'll know how to read a mountain and feel comfortable with trying new areas to hunt.

If you spent 2 weeks in the bush and are having trouble spotting game, give me a holler! I'd be more than happy to sit down and try to figure out with ya, what/why things aren't working in your favour. I'll even elicit the help of others for this.

I have NERVER asked a fellow "where's the deer, bear, fish...?" I've asked many people a TON of questions about specific animal behaviours... In fact, in any threads that I have started here about critters, I've posted disclaimers asking that members NOT telling me where to find the game. Some guy's don't seem to understand this and still reply with locations. In my mind, these are spots that are now off limits because I want to learn how to seek my own game. It wouldn't 'feel' right walking in on something that I didn't 'earn'.

Recently a buddy of mine 'guided' me in to a BOONER of a critter (he insisted). I think I spun his head when I refused to pull the trigger on it. Reason being, in my mind, it wasn't 'mine'. I simply didn't feel worthy of it. :(

Declining 'his' sure made my 'Border Booner' MUCH more to be appreciated, 5 loooong days later. :mrgreen:

mapguy
07-16-2007, 06:00 AM
me and a bud find deer there ever time we go almost except for the odd
hot day when not even a flea moves have seen as many as 80 last year just 45 in a day but it might just be the horsshoes

youngbuck
07-16-2007, 09:29 AM
JMAC,

Fair comments.

Unfortunately, not all of us have the luxury of going scouting during the summer and developing intimate knowledge of an area. Therefore, a sub-section of hunters tend to go to the high percentage areas. I'll agree that alot of those mentioned above are just lazy and want to find the easy way.

I'd proposed to you and the more experienced hunters that you start a sticky thread called "Developing your favorite hunting spot: 101". You could then share how you scout, map read, pattern migration. I'm would not want to hear the usual, I find an area, scout around the alpine, find where the game are and record the local and travel patterns. I know there is alot more to it that that. I'm sure alot of the experienced hunters subconsciously record factors about hunting areas that they are not aware of.

This would a great way to share and help others with your knowledge and experience.

Your thoughts?

hannibal
07-16-2007, 11:01 AM
I got me a spot, close to town that most guys would say "Isn't far enough out" sheeit. I'm out there one day a week with my dogs just walking around with my GPS on, making maps, and I can honestly say no matter what time of day, I'm finding critters, big and small. Come hunting season, I'll have a couple of square KM figured out good enough that when I bump a buck, I know where to head him off. Recon works, and it's a good way to spend some days in the summer.

Jelvis
09-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Who done did their homework prescouting? Read and learn thanks 4 dah reminder.
Jel .. dedication and focus

coach
09-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Well done, Jelly. You've revived yet another 4 year old thread...