PDA

View Full Version : Feral pigs in langley??

happyhunter
03-12-2017, 02:22 PM
So I was driving from Burnaby to Abbotsford this afternoon and just as I'm between 264 and mt lehman I look over and swear I see a wild pig in the fruit field just beside the freeway. I was so sure I blurted "holy shit thats a wild pig" the moment I saw it. The pig was dark, maybe black colored and had that distinctive wild boar shape. This did not look like a domestic animal whatsoever. I checked out the spot in google earth and am pretty sure this was in the fields between the freeway, bradner and downes road. I noticed on GE that this area is mostly fields and forests, and probably supports a ton of thick blackberry patches to hide in as well, which is what the pig came out of.
My other guess if this was not a feral pig, is that it is an escaped exotic breed because again, it was not a typical domestic pig.

So what do you guys think? Could this have been a feral pig in langley or some escaped exotic breed? Other ideas?

Xenomorph
03-12-2017, 02:28 PM
I can see the news "Hunter storm Langley looking for pigs"... Swine, oh swine, you delicious beast you!

604Stalker
03-12-2017, 02:47 PM
Dont let everuone in Langley know about it. Will be a gathering of folks for weeks of the colored pig.

geo guy
03-12-2017, 03:35 PM
Probably just some unusual breed of a domesticated pig being raised and let roam around. I know of lots of people who have them and butcher them themselves.

Barracuda
03-12-2017, 04:22 PM
lots of pigs are dark and look boarlike in fact I would say most pigs raised on small farms are berkshire tamworth duroc etc crosses not the pink porky pigs that most people think of when they think pig . and btw some people do free range their pigs so if it happens to be in some farmer field it might be wise to check first lol

CHEAM
03-12-2017, 07:17 PM
I drive that area five days a week and there are some large Pot Belly Pigs near Bradner and the Freeway. That would my guess.

Wild one
03-12-2017, 07:28 PM
Long time ago I know there was pigs up Harrison but have not heard about them for a very long time

Lived in the area you had your sighting for 9 years seen black tail, cougar, and elk but never a feral pig

Mulehahn
03-12-2017, 07:41 PM
There were "Wild Pigs" in Langley 2 years. By that I mean they was a few who escaped from a farm across the border and were shot by a few Farmers on 0 Ave. Pigs are Schedule C in BC, if they are on your property shoot them.

happyhunter
03-12-2017, 07:48 PM
When I say "distinctive wild boar shape" I mean distinctive wild boar shape. Not a pot bellied pig, not a colored domestic kind either. This pig had an aggressively sloped back and shoulders tall and far higher then its rump. Very classic Russian boar shape. Google hasn't been very helpful with ID as of yet. Anytime I see a picture of a pig that looks like the one I saw the link takes me to a feral pig or wild boar site. So if it was someones pig it was some kind of exotic type. Is the aldergrove zoo missing a boar? lol

Also the area wasn't fenced off, it was just a berry field. So no chance of free range, either wild or escapee.

Even still I'm not convinced it was a feral pig either. Just wondering if it is possible given that some people have claimed to have seen them up Harrison. It was a very strange siting anyway.

Firstblood
03-12-2017, 08:31 PM
You didn't careen off the road, floor it through the field and run the bugger over so you post post pictures for us cabin fever suffering keyboard warriors? shame. There is a hobby farmer up near me who has some pigs, big black buggers pushing 400 pounds, the big boar he has could easily be mistaken for a wild boar type pig.

WesHarm
03-12-2017, 09:24 PM
Where does it say pigs are schedule C? Just curious cuz I couldn't find it anywhere..... Not that I've seen one ..... But sounds interesting

03-12-2017, 09:26 PM
I live in Langley, near there, that was likely me bent over in the field looking for my contact lens .........:shock:

scoutlt1
03-12-2017, 09:27 PM
I live in Langley, near there, that was likely me bent over in the field looking for my contact lens .........:shock:

Then you should take your wife's advice and shave your back.... ;)

Steelpulse
03-13-2017, 01:19 AM
No pictures didn't happen, for sure just someones piggy got out, could have been various types of pig, there are tons of properties in lml could have come from anyone's farm

bear season couple weeks, hang in there

Bubbacanuck
05-15-2019, 08:57 AM
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/wild-pigs-causing-ecological-disaster-as-they-spread-rapidly-across-canada-survey-says/ar-AABoNzy?ocid=se

"While most are in the prairies, there are pockets in Ontario, Quebec, northeastern B.C., the B.C. Interior, and possibly even the Vancouver suburb of Langley."

You might very well have seen a wild boar in Langley according to this recent study...

Wild one
05-15-2019, 09:02 AM
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/wild-pigs-causing-ecological-disaster-as-they-spread-rapidly-across-canada-survey-says/ar-AABoNzy?ocid=se

"While most are in the prairies, there are pockets in Ontario, Quebec, northeastern B.C., the B.C. Interior, and possibly even the Vancouver suburb of Langley."

You might very well have seen a wild boar in Langley according to this recent study...

And Ogopog swims the Fraser lol

yes there is wild pigs in BC but no 4 legged wild pigs in Langley

CBC mines this forum and likely this thread is where they got the info lol

Rieber
05-15-2019, 09:59 AM
The boar in Langley has bred with a Blacktail deer - this new creature is called ... Beer or more specifically Blacktail Beer.

Anybody seen Beer in Langley?

caddisguy
05-17-2019, 05:35 PM
Too bad no discharge of firearms or bows for the purpose of hunting (other than approved ranges, licensed trapping and crop protection with permit) in Langley City or Township.

Some nice BT's around 200th south of 32nd. I am starting to become interested in spear hunting.

silvertipp
05-17-2019, 05:59 PM
I think that area would be classed as Abbotsford
think you can use bow and shotgun still

scoutlt1
05-17-2019, 06:22 PM
I think that area would be classed as Abbotsford
think you can use bow and shotgun still

Nope. Abbotsford starts at about the 276th "street" mark.

I'm in south Aldergrove (but technically Abbotsford), and we have some nice deer around here. I have a picture of a beauty buck bedded down behind my house...

dirtymax
05-17-2019, 06:40 PM
Headed towards Majuba hill for work today and noticed something in the field . Random hayfield no where close to any homes . Thought it was a bear ! Slowed right down to get a good look. Massive black Ferrel looking pig .

walks with deer
05-18-2019, 08:31 AM
lots of them at gabbys..

REMINGTON JIM
05-18-2019, 09:02 AM
Headed towards Majuba hill for work today and noticed something in the field . Random hayfield no where close to any homes . Thought it was a bear ! Slowed right down to get a good look. Massive black Ferrel looking pig .

No WAY ! Really ? :tongue: RJ

happyhunter
05-18-2019, 11:53 AM
And Ogopog swims the Fraser lol

yes there is wild pigs in BC but no 4 legged wild pigs in Langley

CBC mines this forum and likely this thread is where they got the info lol

lol that’s hilarious, sad, and probably true...

Darksith
05-21-2019, 08:53 AM
No pictures didn't happen, for sure just someones piggy got out, could have been various types of pig, there are tons of properties in lml could have come from anyone's farm

bear season couple weeks, hang in there

Exactly. This is a dead horse that keeps popping up every year. With the 1000's of trail cams, social media and everything else, if there were any feral sustaining populations someone would of spilled the beans by accident even by now. Not to say it couldn't happen, but it doesn't exist in BC as of yet.

Rieber
05-21-2019, 09:14 AM
Probably a coastal Blacktail Bear. Like their cousins the Blacktail Deer, they are smaller in stature than real black bears.

Be sure of your target and please don't shoot someones pet.

Anyplace there are pig farms it's very possible for one or more to escape and survive our mild winters here. I wouldn't be surprised at all if people see some escaped hogs. The only problem is if these hogs are on private land or not. You need to find the real owner of the land and get their written permission to hunt their land. I know someone very close to me that got into a jackpot because he was granted permission to hunt BT's on the property, but the guy who gave the permission was not the actual landowner. Not a nice experience when the real property owner found out that his adopted pet BT was never coming back to visit him. People love their wild game like pets here and take offense if someone snipes one off their property. Be sure of your permission and beware that the neighbor might still call the cops on you.