PDA

View Full Version : Sheep preparations

WoodOx
07-15-2007, 12:37 PM
As sheep season approaches, I know many of us are busy training, cowering over maps daily, and preping backpacks and supplies.

For myself, and others who are newer to the species, would anyone be willing to post a pre-trip pack list for various materials, clothing etc that you bring?

Much appreciated.

bigwhiteys
07-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Here is my list Andrew. It's all stuffed into a 90L Lowe Alpine Special Expedition Pack.

Clothing

- 4 Pair Thorlo Level III hiking socks. (expensive but worth every penny)
- 2 Pair Merino Wool Sock Liners. (optional)
- 1 mid-weight polartec fleece pullover.
- 1 light-weight polartec fleece pullover. (optional)
- 2 pair North Face Paramount Convertible Pants (including the one I wear)
- 1 pair light-weight thermal underwear. (use these for sleeping in or on colder days)
- 2-3 pair boxer shorts. (When your in the mountains nobody cares)
- 2 light weight MEC wick away t-shirts.
- 1 pair lightweight rainpants. (rockwater designs)
- 1 lightweight rain jacket. (Keela)

Sleeping/Shelter
- 1 Lightweight backpacking sleeping bag. (good to about -5c)
- 1 Silcoat packcover (essential for keeping your pack bone dry)
- Prolite 4 Thermarest.
- 1 Sil-Tarp II 8′x10′.
- 1 Integral Designs MK-3 Expedition Tent. (Vestibule optional)

Equipment/Optics/Misc.
- Petzl Myo Xp Headlamp. (very bright - runs on 3 AA batteries.)
- Handmade Hunting Knife (could shave weight here with a smaller folding knife.)
- 1 pair Swarovski 8×30 Binoculars.
- 1 Zeiss Diascope 85mm 20x60 Spotting Scope.
- 1 Manfrotto 718 SHB Tripod.
- First Aid Kit (Tylenol,Ibuprofen,Antiseptic,Bandaids,Bandages,Ga uze)
- 1 Small Tube firepaste
- 6 AA batteries. (I could probably get away with only 3 but just in case…)
- 1 TrailBlazer Buck Saw (makes getting firewood easy)
- 12 Federal 130 Grn .270 Rounds (3 in my magazine and 9 on the butt of my rifle)
- 100′ Poly Rope. (Maybe a little overkill)
- Tikka Lite S/S .270 W/Bushnell Elite 3200 Scope.
- 1 Sony Handycam Video Camera (20x Optical Zoom W/Zeiss Lenses)
- 1 Sony DSC-W50 6.0 MP Digital Camera (Great Small Compact Camera)
- 1 Garmin GPS 60Csx.
- 1 5lb bag of salt.

Food & Cooking.
- Jetboil Stove (w/2 Canisters fuel - Good for 10 days of boiling water for drinks and meals)
- 2 Liter Soft Plastic Water Container (In case you need to pack extra water)
- 1 1.5 liter Nalgene bottle (Strap to outside of my pack)

Breakfast
- MountainHouse Granola W/Blueberries (Great Filling Breakfast)
- Packets of Maple & Brown Sugar Oatmeal (Great Light Breakfast)

Lunches/Snacks (I don’t eat much throughout the day)
- Sun-Rype Fruit Bars. (These are great snacks)
- Ritter Sport Almonds Chocolate Bar. (eat a few squares per serving.)
- Ritter Sport Hazlenut Chocolate Bar. (eat a few squares per serving.)
- Nut & Raisin Chocolate Bars. (eat a few squares per serving.)
- ziploc bag with either Gatorade mix or Iced Tea mix.

Dinners. (all mountainhouse)
- Chicken Teriyaki W/Rice.
- Turkey Tettrazinni.
- Beef Stew (Really Good)
- Chili Mac W/Beef.
- Noodles W/Chicken.
- Pasta Primavera (Really Good)
- Beef Stroganoff
- Meat Lasagna

Total Pack Weight = 57 lbs W/Rifle.

WoodOx
07-15-2007, 01:13 PM
57 lbs, including the weight of the pack itself?

Thanks BW

bigwhiteys
07-15-2007, 01:22 PM
57 Lbs including the pack itself... When we go will be splitting up a little communal gear (tent, tarp, vestibule, stove) to bring our packs down a little bit.

All this gear fits into my pack with plenty of room to spare. I've had to pack and repack a few times until everything was placed just right and felt good on my back. All my training is done with my pack and boots in mountainous terrain so when I go hunting, there are no issues/surprises with any of my gear.

Carl

WoodOx
07-15-2007, 01:35 PM
mmhmm ive been training only about 4km, 2-3 times per week. 60-65 lbs on my pack. All types of grade from about 35% to about 60%, which is a b*tch.

I dont think ill ramp up the weight anymore, maybe find an area with a bit more steepness for a couple hikes prior to going.

StoneChaser
07-15-2007, 02:04 PM
For August sheep hunting, I tend to look for clothing that is very well ventilated, super quick drying, and has plenty of room for storage. It is very important to bring gear that is utilitarian and able to be used for multiple tasks.

Take this sheep hunting outfit for example that Todbartell wore to Haggisfest 2006, and is planning on wearing to the PG WSSBC get together in on July 28...I'm guessing it'll be a huge hit.

Simply substitute trailmix for gumballs when heading to the hills.....

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/StoneChaser/CandyMan.jpg

todbartell
07-15-2007, 02:09 PM
:mrgreen: haha

bruin
07-15-2007, 05:29 PM
aguacher, My gear is similar to BW. My only changes are that I like to take a couple more pairs of socks with me to keep them fresh. I also pack one pair of very light pants and one pair of heavier/warmer pants. This year I bought a pair of Sitka Mountain hiking pants so it will be interesting to see how they turn out. I am also bringing a mosquito net for my face, I usually don't but they seem to be extra bad this year, it should allow me to concentrate while glassing a little better.
Another addition is a set of gators.
A pack of game bags
A couple of garbage bags to line your pakc wiht so it and your gear don't get full of blood when you shoot your ram.
a set of gloves/toque (very important to me)
A pair of water walker shoes for camp and creek crossings (very light and comfortable)
I don't usually bring that much rope

Another thing that I don't do but some guys will is bring a different pair of insoles for your boots in case your feet start getting sore.

bigwhiteys
07-15-2007, 06:23 PM
Yep, Garbage Bags and Game Bags are also in my pack... forgot to add them. I also bought a pair of those foam, runner type shoes to wear around in the evenings or for creek crossings.

One major item I've left off my list is a roll or two of asswipe. Don't forget that.

Carl

Stone Sheep Steve
07-15-2007, 08:42 PM
Don't forget "Wet-ones"-1 per day. Keeps you "Daisy fresh":wink:.

SSS

Sieg-MM
07-15-2007, 09:01 PM
Has anyone used walking/hiking poles? Are they worth it or do they just get in the way?

One more thing I would add to the list is a skelpo for caping your prize ram. Currently my pack also has a knife for de-boning the animal. No sure if it will make the trip yet. Who knows if I'll even get to use this equipment :confused:

I just weighed my pack tonight. 55lbs (rifle included) with a few little extras to add. I figure she should be running around 58lbs. Only two more weeks and I'm outta here to lose my sheep hunting virginity :-D

boxhitch
07-15-2007, 09:09 PM
Good list.
I would prefer a small axe over a saw, but ymmv.
My pref would also be a topo map and compass, instead of a gps.
Also, Crystal Lite has more flavour for size.
Where'd you find the 1.5 L nalgene ?
edit - and I'd probably go with a 2 kg. bag of salt. :)

Flinch
07-15-2007, 09:18 PM
I won't go without trekking poles again. I found them very very valuable for side hilling, creek crossings and generally helping with balance. It uses your arms not just your legs and core muscles to keep you balanced, which I find helps endurance considerably. If you have a siltarp they also give you lots of options for setting that up too.

Nimrod
07-15-2007, 09:45 PM
sss knows ...wet ones are great, after 5 days you'll be very very happy you brought them.
Bring a stout needle some dental floss and a small tub of aqua seal, you can fix anything with this.

bruin
07-15-2007, 10:31 PM
I forgot about the exacto. ooops. Good call on the wet ones, I will definitely be picking up a pack.
I prefer not to hike with poles simply because I find there are times when I don't want to be carrying them or have them along and I find they get in my way, this is strictly personal preference however and lots of guys use them.
Can't wait, only 15 more sleeps!!!

Orangethunder
07-16-2007, 03:04 PM
I am going to try hiking poles this year. Might prolong the life of my knees. One other tidbit I am adding is a small chunk of the thin blue foamy strapped to the bottom of my pack. It gives me something to sit on without taking off my pack. I wont go without gaitors either. I am up in the air on whether or not to pack my small axe or the Wyoming saw. I think the saw is handier on game but the axe is slick in the woods. So many things to think about.

The countdown is on

40 more sleeps for me....:cry:

brad ferris
07-16-2007, 05:57 PM
good list, one thing you may want to consider in your first aid kit is aspirin(acetylsalicylic acid) in addition to the tylenol.the reason for this is to prevent you from dieing of a heart attack after humpin' up that ridge,peaking over and seeing the biggest ram of your life.i know of at least one guy thats still hunting today because i had some aspirin when he pushed himself to hard.

quote=bigwhiteys;167024]Here is my list Andrew. It's all stuffed into a 90L Lowe Alpine Special Expedition Pack.

Clothing

- 4 Pair Thorlo Level III hiking socks. (expensive but worth every penny)
- 2 Pair Merino Wool Sock Liners. (optional)
- 1 mid-weight polartec fleece pullover.
- 1 light-weight polartec fleece pullover. (optional)
- 2 pair North Face Paramount Convertible Pants (including the one I wear)
- 1 pair light-weight thermal underwear. (use these for sleeping in or on colder days)
- 2-3 pair boxer shorts. (When your in the mountains nobody cares)
- 2 light weight MEC wick away t-shirts.
- 1 pair lightweight rainpants. (rockwater designs)
- 1 lightweight rain jacket. (Keela)

Sleeping/Shelter
- 1 Lightweight backpacking sleeping bag. (good to about -5c)
- 1 Silcoat packcover (essential for keeping your pack bone dry)
- Prolite 4 Thermarest.
- 1 Sil-Tarp II 8′x10′.
- 1 Integral Designs MK-3 Expedition Tent. (Vestibule optional)

Equipment/Optics/Misc.
- Petzl Myo Xp Headlamp. (very bright - runs on 3 AA batteries.)
- Handmade Hunting Knife (could shave weight here with a smaller folding knife.)
- 1 pair Swarovski 8×30 Binoculars.
- 1 Zeiss Diascope 85mm 20x60 Spotting Scope.
- 1 Manfrotto 718 SHB Tripod.
- First Aid Kit (Tylenol,Ibuprofen,Antiseptic,Bandaids,Bandages,Ga uze)
- 1 Small Tube firepaste
- 6 AA batteries. (I could probably get away with only 3 but just in case…)
- 1 TrailBlazer Buck Saw (makes getting firewood easy)
- 12 Federal 130 Grn .270 Rounds (3 in my magazine and 9 on the butt of my rifle)
- 100′ Poly Rope. (Maybe a little overkill)
- Tikka Lite S/S .270 W/Bushnell Elite 3200 Scope.
- 1 Sony Handycam Video Camera (20x Optical Zoom W/Zeiss Lenses)
- 1 Sony DSC-W50 6.0 MP Digital Camera (Great Small Compact Camera)
- 1 Garmin GPS 60Csx.
- 1 5lb bag of salt.

Food & Cooking.
- Jetboil Stove (w/2 Canisters fuel - Good for 10 days of boiling water for drinks and meals)
- 2 Liter Soft Plastic Water Container (In case you need to pack extra water)
- 1 1.5 liter Nalgene bottle (Strap to outside of my pack)

Breakfast
- MountainHouse Granola W/Blueberries (Great Filling Breakfast)
- Packets of Maple & Brown Sugar Oatmeal (Great Light Breakfast)

Lunches/Snacks (I don’t eat much throughout the day)
- Sun-Rype Fruit Bars. (These are great snacks)
- Ritter Sport Almonds Chocolate Bar. (eat a few squares per serving.)
- Ritter Sport Hazlenut Chocolate Bar. (eat a few squares per serving.)
- Nut & Raisin Chocolate Bars. (eat a few squares per serving.)
- ziploc bag with either Gatorade mix or Iced Tea mix.

Dinners. (all mountainhouse)
- Chicken Teriyaki W/Rice.
- Turkey Tettrazinni.
- Beef Stew (Really Good)
- Chili Mac W/Beef.
- Noodles W/Chicken.
- Pasta Primavera (Really Good)
- Beef Stroganoff
- Meat Lasagna

Total Pack Weight = 57 lbs W/Rifle.
[/quote]

blaker_99
07-16-2007, 11:16 PM
Andrew, instead of packing the traditional tp I would pack 12-14 "Baby Wipes" or "Wet Ones" this will help to reduce a bit of bulk from the TP and also they are always moist and can be used for multiple applications. Awsome lists of what should be brough along on such an awsome hunt. thanks everyone and good luck to all. Knock Em Dead Andrew.

boxhitch
07-17-2007, 07:18 AM
instead of packing the traditional tp I would pack 12-14 "Baby Wipes" or "Wet Ones" this will help to reduce a bit of bulk

Or leave all this at home, and use moss. Early a.m. is nice and moist. Avoid the stuff under pine trees, unless the extra abrasion is necessary.

WoodOx
07-17-2007, 09:32 AM
Blake are you going to make it out for a stones hunt this fall? Or are you going for goat again/

Stone Sheep Steve
07-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Or leave all this at home, and use moss. Early a.m. is nice and moist. Avoid the stuff under pine trees, unless the extra abrasion is necessary.

Moss if for woosies. Try a handful of gravel8)!

SSS

Fisher-Dude
07-17-2007, 11:37 AM

"Leaves of three, let it be". Ask Goat Guy. 8)

GoatGuy
07-17-2007, 11:59 AM
"Leaves of three, let it be". Ask Goat Guy. 8)

Definitely not a good feeling! Beware of that stuff!!

When your eating freeze dried I don't think it matters if you bring TP or not. After day three I'd probably have to carry a whole tree around for the amount of TP required. Moss and leaves will do the job - if you're feeling lazypieces of socks and LJ's also work too.

Regardless after a couple of days of freeze dried you'll look like a dog sh*ttin razor blades.

blaker_99
07-17-2007, 10:00 PM
Andrew, we are really trying to head up to the fork nelson area where we have taken rams before but it may jsut be my oldest brother and I rather than the group of 4 i was hoping for. with that said yes there will be a goat hunt, i will be taking my compound bow up and trying to get an opportunity at a nice billy.

Mtn Wonderer
07-19-2007, 10:36 PM
Wipe its are great idea, otherwise go at it with a little H20 and fate an air dry.

AH

300 wsm
07-19-2007, 10:50 PM
just got back from the sheep river sanctuary here in ab the sanctuary calls for no kills within 1.6 km from the river and sure enough the big boys were about a kilometer from the river hopefully we will catch em outside the limits come sept 10 cant wait i need a nother one on tha wall just dont tell tha girlfriend cause its gonna be one that was in tha freezer for tha last couple years haha!!!

bigwhiteys
07-19-2007, 10:52 PM
Where'd you find the 1.5 L nalgene ?
edit - and I'd probably go with a 2 kg. bag of salt. :smile:

I didn't have a 1.5 litre Nalgene, it was a misprint... So I went to MEC today and found a 1.5 litre Nalgene so they do exist. $10.50 each :)

The salt is a 2.2kg bag or 4.85 lbs... thats what the bag says.

good list, one thing you may want to consider in your first aid kit is aspirin(acetylsalicylic acid) in addition to the tylenol.the reason for this is to prevent you from dieing of a heart attack after humpin' up that ridge,peaking over and seeing the biggest ram of your life.i know of at least one guy thats still hunting today because i had some aspirin when he pushed himself to hard.

I am a little young for a heart attack but do know of a few stories of guys going down in the mountains from heart failure. There is an outfitter or two who could tell those tales... In fact just 2 years ago when we were up sheep hunting an older gent died of a heart attack, while chasing sheep.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

300 wsm
07-19-2007, 11:00 PM
atleast he passed chassing his dream i think, The majestic ram is a coveted north american animal may he sleep in peace

300 wsm
07-19-2007, 11:02 PM
[quote=Mtn Wonderer;168403]Wipe its are great idea, otherwise go at it with a little H20 and fate an air dry.

haha save wait use your hand!!!! bahhhh

44inchStone
07-20-2007, 10:50 AM
Hey Guys,

Well if the Infantry taught me something it was certainly to take care of my feet. I always pack a container of good old baby powder with me.
After walking great distances your feel will really swell up. If there's a creek around, take that extra 10 minutes, soak your feet, dry them off and then powder up.
You'll be surprised at how fast that cold water will reduce the swelling and how good the baby powder will feel in a new pair of socks. Beside the 60 or so pounds in your pack your feet will thank you in the long run.
High level of comfort means high level of morale.
The Asprin idea is true. It is a great blood thinner and help me breath a little better.
Good luck to you all and be safe.Going back for another 44. :mrgreen:

Stone Sheep Steve
07-20-2007, 11:49 AM
Good advice 44INCHSTONE.

If there is no creek around take off you boots and lie down and put your feet up on your pack getting them above your heart. 15-20mins like that can do wonders.

SSS

WoodOx
07-21-2007, 12:46 PM
can we see a pic of your 44inch stone? :D

So, i just weighed my backpack. i never did it, just figured that a pack +50lbs free weight, plus towels would be around 60ish pounds.

Ive been carrying 74 pounds for 6 weeks.... :S