PDA

View Full Version : Lone Cabin Creek

Frosty
07-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Years ago I had an uncle that would talk about Lone Cabin Creek, he'd talk about all the mulies that he would see. He even had a beauty on his wall from thereish. I remember talk of sheep as well. I'm curious if anyone knows of this area and what it is like these days........Thanks

BCrams
07-15-2007, 10:42 AM
Very popular! There are a lot of mule deer camps right above Lone Cabin that is accessed via the Empire Valley off the Black Dome Road. I forget the name of the road but you can hike into the Lone Cabin from a couple locations quite easily.

Mule deer are still kicking around!!

BlacktailStalker
07-15-2007, 12:00 PM
That area is all about timing. They CAN be there but the resident bucks are shot to shit by the time the big ones roll in and everything is spooky. Plan on hiking 2-10 kms a day, usually in 8-18" of snow.
Good wolf population in there too, shoot em if you see them. They scatter the bucks pretty good sometimes.
I saw a beauty wide 170"ish mulie last year "in that general area" that hadn't reached full potential and couldnt close the deal, ran out of light. It was day 4 of a 5 day hunt so I would have shot him.
The next morning he was shot underneath me about 500 yards as I was working down towards where I figured he'd be.
Lots of guys there have been going for 20-30 years and it's no secret it can be good. But it can also be very slow. The migration varies a lot year to year with our unpredictable weather patterns.
Read the carpenter lake thread, pretty much the same story on here and any other "famous" deer hole if you want to be successful.

srupp
07-20-2007, 12:42 AM
the BIG bucks dont run uphill there..they run down hill..and YES there STILL are some crankers of rams there...LOTS of deer there...too many...

Steven

stoneslinger
09-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Here ya go.

http://www.landquest.com/CARIBOO/09209/09209web.pdf

dutchie
09-07-2010, 11:10 AM
If I had 40K right now I would buy that in a heart beat!

stoneslinger
09-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Ask the listing agent to drive you in for a look. I will tell you where to sit and I will do my best to chase something up to you from the river. Maybe a HUGE cranker ram or a MONSTER mule buck. When you hear the roar of a V8 you will know I am on the way. If you plant alfalfa I will become a full time hunter on your fenceline.

I wouldn't buy the place for $10K lol.

BimmerBob
09-07-2010, 11:52 AM
If I had 40K right now I would buy that in a heart beat!

You had me excited for a moment and then I noticed that you would be $120k short...:mrgreen:

stoneslinger
09-07-2010, 12:11 PM
Some stupid guy from Germany will buy it and put up huge signs: Halten Sie, Keine Jagd.

mark
09-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Dont drink the water from lone cabin...... nearly died there a couple years back!
Basically pissing from my ass, and shitting from my mouth, fever, and shivering.
Had to pack up camp, boat up river, and drive home alone. Could barely walk!

BTW saw nothing but does! :(

stoneslinger
09-07-2010, 10:03 PM
The only drink served and consumed by me in that part of the world is The Captain with cola.

frenchbar
09-07-2010, 10:10 PM
The only drink served and consumed by me in that part of the world is The Captain with cola.

100 proof spiced will kill beaver fever....

dino
09-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Dont drink the water from lone cabin...... nearly died there a couple years back!
Basically pissing from my ass, and shitting from my mouth, fever, and shivering.

your selling and no one is buying! I recognized you at that crapy 4x4 boat launch and the boat you were in parked at the same draw for 2 days in a row, also saw you glassing some sheep north of the gaspard. If your jetting in there your seeing bucks. Nice try!

RBH
09-07-2010, 10:52 PM

OTHER THAN THAT, HOW WAS THE HUNT?

mark
09-08-2010, 10:32 PM
your selling and no one is buying! I recognized you at that crapy 4x4 boat launch and the boat you were in parked at the same draw for 2 days in a row, also saw you glassing some sheep north of the gaspard. If your jetting in there your seeing bucks. Nice try!

Nice try, on your part, but I never camped at the same place for more than 1 night.
If you did indeed see me there, a little logic would suggest that I wasnt deer hunting as the primary target.

If im so "full of it" Dino... go ahead and drink that water :-D

OTHER THAN THAT, HOW WAS THE HUNT?

Other than the sickness, the hunt went the way every river hunt goes out there.......lots of sheep and mulies to view, but no shooters!

Found some sheds, shot some yotes, watched rams sparring, great weather, lots of boats on the river! :-D

dino
09-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Nice try, on your part, but I never camped at the same place for more than 1 night.
If you did indeed see me there, a little logic would suggest that I wasnt deer hunting as the primary target.

If im so "full of it" Dino... go ahead and drink that water :-D

Other than the sickness, the hunt went the way every river hunt goes out there.......lots of sheep and mulies to view, but no shooters!

Found some sheds, shot some yotes, watched rams sparring, great weather, lots of boats on the river! :-D

wasnt talking about the water mark, most people know not to drink creek water that runs through miles of cattle infested land. Your boat was parked in the same spot twice I never said you camped there. Im not trying to get in a pissing match with you bud. Your the one that helped me shoot a 5 point in there.
I know its not a shooter to you but Im not at your level yet and have a real hard time passing them up. sorry about the hijack frosty.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/heydino/HPIM1020.jpg

stoneslinger
09-09-2010, 06:06 AM
That cabin for sale could become a profitable donkey ranch. Sell stock and packtrains to the local outfitter so he can take mighty buck masters into the Churn Creek bluffs.

srupp
09-09-2010, 07:45 AM
As of last week...:mrgreen:still some really decent deer..180's...and a fair amount of decent shooters...over 130..maybe not the #s I have seen in there

And yes still some sheep..couldnt tell if the rams were legal or not..was travelling the wrong heading...

The other 3 I seen were 2 absolute shooters

cheers
Steven

dino
09-09-2010, 07:52 AM
As of last week...:mrgreen:still some really decent deer..180's...and a fair amount of decent shooters...over 130..maybe not the #s I have seen in there

And yes still some sheep..couldnt tell if the rams were legal or not..was travelling the wrong heading...

The other 3 I seen were 2 absolute shooters

cheers
Steven
were you flying steve ?

srupp
09-09-2010, 10:46 AM
ya..sowy....occupational hazard...

steven